PDA

View Full Version : Paul George WTF

Major Cold
04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
What happened to Paul in the 4th? And please it has to be more than Jones was playing Rose better.

At the 3 minute mark in the 3rd there seemed to be some confusion between Paul and Hibbert. George went to the assistants twice to, what appeared to get clarification. Vogel took him out and we don't see him the rest of the game.

Even at the end Rush comes in to guard Korver. Rush is a better closeout defender, so I don't see it too big all by itself. But add that he did not see he floor at all, and was used sparingly in the first...what is happening?

Unclebuck
04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
What happened to Paul in the 4th? And please it has to be more than Jones was playing Rose better.

At the 3 minute mark in the 3rd there seemed to be some confusion between Paul and Hibbert. George went to the assistants twice to, what appeared to get clarification. Vogel took him out and we don't see him the rest of the game.

Even at the end Rush comes in to guard Korver. Rush is a better closeout defender, so I don't see it too big all by itself. But add that he did not see he floor at all, and was used sparingly in the first...what is happening?

I don't think it is anything, although I don't really know.

I will say that Rush is our best defender against players like Korver - Rush is good following players around screens. I was thinking Rush is exactly who I want on Kyle

rexnom
04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
God it's nice to have three very good 1-3 defenders.

Mackey_Rose
04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
This might be a little over-the-top, but I think Paul George has been the best player in the series. On either side. Rose has been great at the end of games, but everyone knew he was great.

Mackey_Rose
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
This might be a little over-the-top, but I think Paul George has been the best player in the series. On either side. Rose has been great at the end of games, but everyone knew he was great.

After thinking about it more, yeah that was too far over-the-top. George has been the Pacers' best player in the series.

BRushWithDeath
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM

I think that's a lot over-the-top.

Like a mile or two.

yoadknux
04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
George has playing great but I think you're going too far. Our top guys in the series so far are Granger, George, Collison and Jeff. But I can't honestly say George was the best player in the series, not even on our side.

BRushWithDeath
04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
After thinking about it more, yeah that was too far over-the-top. George has been the Pacers' best player in the series.

I can listen to that argument.

Mackey_Rose
04-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Like a mile or two.

Agreed, which is why I replied to my own post. His play has been very encouraging though, and I'm excited to see what kind of player he becomes going forward. If he can keep his mentality on the defensive end, and improve his skills offensively, he can be one of the league's best players.

Of course, that is far from a guarantee. Granger had that kind of potential at one time too. He just didn't have the mentality for it.

Inca Street
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Without George, this series is over after halftime of game 1. I dont think I can say that about any other Pacer player. I also give Vogel credit for putting George in the position to have this impact.

welp

Major Cold
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Agreed, which is why I replied to my own post. His play has been very encouraging though, and I'm excited to see what kind of player he becomes going forward. If he can keep his mentality on the defensive end, and improve his skills offensively, he can be one of the league's best players.

Of course, that is far from a guarantee. Granger had that kind of potential at one time too. He just didn't have the mentality for it.

For what its worth, I think Granger has been pretty good defensively. He struggles to keep Deng off the Oboards and out of the lane from time to time. But I think all in all he has stepped up in the playoffs on both ends.

daschysta
04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
George has been good, but it's been an entire team effort slowing down rose, that and his injury helped.

Granger has been the better player than george this series for us easily, whether some want to hear it or not. He's our only consistant offense in a series where most people are playing like crap on that end and held his own assignment to sub 40 percent shooting, despite getting doubled constantly.

George has been nice but granger has been easily better. I think george will be better in the future, but calling it this series is the definition of jumping the gun.

Trader Joe
04-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Granger is shooting almost 50% from the field, has played good defense on Deng, and threw down a double double in the only elimination game so far...He's been our best player.

daschysta
04-26-2011, 09:31 AM
George will get there, believe me I believe he will, and I would say he actually HAS been our second best player, which is pretty darn good for a rookie on a playoff team. Granger has just had a really underappreciated series, especially in lieu of the fact that I don't believe a single other player int he series shooting a high volume is scoring on near his efficiency.

Really?
04-26-2011, 09:55 AM
He needs to get his shot together over the summer and some how get a killer instinct and we will have ourselves a Superstar....

His shot, other than dunks, has been extremely inconsistent in the Playoffs, but his D has been solid, I remember at the beginning of the year he used to look lost out there on defense some times, lol he has definitely improved that, that is what u would like to see from a player in their first year.

BoomBaby31
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
George has been really good in this series but last game (4) he was out of place. He Ran over Collison and Hibbert by being out of place. A couple of times Collison had to put him in his right spot. It goes along with being a rookie. His defense has be spectacular though, he'd have much better numbers if Jones wasn't playing the whole 3rd QT.

Derek2k3
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I also wondered why he didn't play more. He had what, 3 steals in the first five minutes? His length bothers everyone on the Bulls roster, and he has some quick hands.

However, Dahntay was playing very well, maybe Frank didn't want to mess with the chemistry? Seemed like J-Mac got quite a bit more PT, although I haven't seen the box score. So, maybe it was a matter of "going with the hot hand."

redfoster
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I think you meant Paul George FTW.

Unclebuck
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Granger has been our best player in this series. George has played rather well though. The interesting thing is I don't think a lot of our players have played great - but that is to be expected in the playoffs because it is so hard to score. They have all done a nice job defensively and that is why the games have been so close

Hasn't Foster been one of our most valuable players. He's set the tone on physical play, his team defense as always has been great, he's gotten some huge rebounds. He's made some mistakes and missed some huge free throws, but I think the tone he has set and the mentality he's helped create with his teammates has been hugely important

daschysta
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
foster has definitely gotten under the skin of some of the bulls players, and I love him for it.

eric1516
04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
He needs to get his shot together over the summer and some how get a killer instinct and we will have ourselves a Superstar....

Exactly. However, we've seen flashes of the killer instinct especially on his defense of Rose. I also love the fact that he is willing to learn. He asks questions and and is always working.

Major Cold
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I think Foster has been average up until last game, where he was stellar Foster.

He has fulfilled his role on the team consistently. But he went beyond that last game. I actually would like to see he and Hibbert out there together in the 4th.

cdash
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Like a mile or two.

First PD disagreement by BWD and MR! It can't be so!

In all seriousness, it was over the top, but PG has been spectacular this series. Granger has been the best Pacer, but PG might be the most valuable Pacer due to his incredible defense on the MVP, which will sadly be undermined by this Rose ankle injury.

imbtyler
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
First PD disagreement by BWD and MR! It can't be so!

In all seriousness, it was over the top, but PG has been spectacular this series. Granger has been the best Pacer, but PG might be the most valuable Pacer due to his incredible defense on the MVP, which will sadly be undermined by this Rose ankle injury.

And the fact that he's doing so as a rookie.

Sookie
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
I agree, PG has been our most valuable player. And the defense he's played has been unbelievable.

The guy seems to have all of the tools, including the mental makeup, to be a special player.

TheDon
04-26-2011, 02:01 PM
My favorite play of the series so far is Paul George swatting away a layup attempt by Rose with authority. It's fun mixing up the defenders we're throwing at Rose between Brandon who is really strong and barrel chested and a wider body makes it a little harder for Rose to get around him, Dahntay who is really physical and pesky I think really gets under his skin, and of course George's length is just another adjustment Rose has to make. As quick as Rose is, throwing all these different looks at him at different times in the game I think at least gives him different things to think about and might end up slowing him down a tad or at the very least is wearing on him. The longer this series goes the better I like our chances honestly.

Whiskeyjim
04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Granger is shooting almost 50% from the field, has played good defense on Deng, and threw down a double double in the only elimination game so far...He's been our best player.

foster has definitely gotten under the skin of some of the bulls players, and I love him for it.Words matter. This has been a story of pacer defense, and a great team effort. In some ways, it is difficult to choose a most important player, and that is the way it should be.

Having said that, Grainger is shooting unbelievably given the guys he has hanging off him, and that we struggle to score at various times; our team gets quite a few open looks but our percentage is way down. Clearly the physicality of the game is bothering us. Or maybe the pressure of the playoffs.

And Foster has really stood out. He is in my mind the only other Pacer other than Grainger who is both not intimidated, but thriving. The guy has been a machine.