PDA

View Full Version : Paul George reminds me a lot like Tracy McGrady

The Future
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
McGrady was a very great defender when he came into the league.

As he developed (I believe we never saw T-Mac in his prime, which is truly sad, and shows how great of a talent he was without injuries), McGrady continued to polish his offensive game with a nasty cross over and added the passing arsenal as well.

JVG once called him the best passing wing man in the league. McGrady turned into an offensive force but defensively, he started to decline because he took plays off giving Shane Battier the option to take the best defender on the opposing team.

Rookie Stats:
T-Mac: 18 min, 7 ppg, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk
Paul George: 20 min, 8 ppg, 45% shooting, 4 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl

And to add in another player, Demar Derozan developed substantially from his rookie year going from 9 ppg to 17 ppg while keeping his efficiency high.

The difference between Derozan and George, Paul George can dominate the game defensively as we are witnessing this series!!!

I really hope George can develop into a superstar like McGrady was. Althought George came in from college, defensively, length wise, and athleticism wise, he reminds me a lot like McGrady.

Offensively, if George can develop his handles and start dominating the game off the dribble, he truly has a chance to transform into a great player similar in T-Mac.

Work hard Paul George please, I dont want you to waste your talent!

Any opinions? Hopefully, this thread was good enough to be multiple pages! :)

mattie
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Kind of old news. I mean, Paul has said, and at least every member of this board at one point has probably said the same thing.

Only think I can add is, Yep.

Day-V
04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Ya don't say...

The Future
04-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, do you think he has the talent to turn into a scoring machine like McGrady was?

BornReady
04-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, do you think he has the talent to turn into a scoring machine like McGrady was?

I think he's shown flashes of that already

mattie
04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry man it's just this discussion is already going on in other threads...

The equivalent to your post was if I was come in and post a thread called "I think the sky is blue. Thoughts?"

Anywho If you'd like to discuss Paul George, why don't you go to the thread asking what his best season will be? There is a good discussion going on regarding his potential.

Shade
04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Yep...

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/King-Of-The-Hill-king-of-the-hill-613231_512_384.jpg

DocHolliday
04-25-2011, 08:10 PM
A post from the future!

Shade
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
A post from the future!

http://coop.deadsquid.com/images/great_scott_400.png

The Jackson shimmy
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Probably not.

Gamble1
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Didn't McGrady get drafted out of highschool? PG is talented but McGrady had a better overall game than PG does at a similar age.

Day-V
04-25-2011, 09:31 PM
http://coop.deadsquid.com/images/great_scott_400.png

Woah, Doc, this is heavy.

IndyPacer
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I'd give up a hefty chunck of points if he can keep that defensive intensity. He has the opportunity to become an elite defender at the pro level if he can maintain that intensity.

MillerTime
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Didn't McGrady get drafted out of highschool? PG is talented but McGrady had a better overall game than PG does at a similar age.

Yup

Jared Sullinger
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Size, athleticism and scoring ability, sure, but George doesn't have the ball-handling and play-making skills of T-Mac.

Eleazar
04-25-2011, 09:54 PM

McGrady had some advantages at the age of 20 though. First of all he had two years in the league to get used to playing in the league. For the most part unless both players came into the league at the same age looking at age isn't an accurate way to look at a players talent as it takes a season for most players to get up to speed with those who have been in the league for a while.

Does anyone know how good of a ball handler and play-making ability McGrady was his first and second seasons? McGrady was unknown to most people before his third season, so I'm most people are just thinking of him after he took off.

imawhat
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
George is a better defender at the same age, but McGrady is a better scorer.

This may sound crazy, but I really hope Paul doesn't turn out like McGrady. Aside from one spectacular game, he had a habit of disappearing in the 2nd half of games and not really having the effect that his stats indicated.

Gamble1
04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
McGrady had some advantages at the age of 20 though. First of all he had two years in the league to get used to playing in the league. For the most part unless both players came into the league at the same age looking at age isn't an accurate way to look at a players talent as it takes a season for most players to get up to speed with those who have been in the league for a while.

Does anyone know how good of a ball handler and play-making ability McGrady was his first and second seasons? McGrady was unknown to most people before his third season, so I'm most people are just thinking of him after he took off.

Tmac averaged nearly a triple double in high school. He was the nations high school player of the year by usa today. Paul George is good but he is not Tmac good unless he dedicates himself like Tmac did. McGrady had a better overall game than Paul George and was more talented.

Its an unfair comparison IMO regardless of age. I would be happy if PG just surpassed Danny but even that isn't guaranteed.

pizza guy
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
The things that stick out to me are how smooth and comfortable PG24 is on the court. He makes some rookie mistakes, but he doesn't look lost. He's adjusting, and he'll get it. You can just see it in him. And, he has the drive to become great. If he turns into T-Mac, it would be perfect.

vapacersfan
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
No problem with comparisons, but I want Paul George to be the first Paul George, not the next Tracy McGrady.

I have been impressed with what I have seen, and I think he has a lot of potential. Perhaps I am off but he kind of reminds me off a former Pacers, Jonathan Bender.

Eleazar
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Tmac averaged nearly a triple double in high school. He was the nations high school player of the year by usa today. Paul George is good but he is not Tmac good unless he dedicates himself like Tmac did. McGrady had a better overall game than Paul George and was more talented.

Its an unfair comparison IMO regardless of age. I would be happy if PG just surpassed Danny but even that isn't guaranteed.

The only thing that is unfair about people comparing him to TMac is that no one is giving him a chance to be as good or better than Tmac because Tmac came straight out of high school. Tmac didn't come in and dominate. It took him 2 years to really even get noticed in the NBA, and even then he still only average 15ppg.

Where a player starts does not dictate where a player ends. Just take a look at Kobe Bryant's rookie season compared to McGrady, Miller, Granger, and George. All of those people either had equal or better stats than Bryant in their rookie season.

Dr. Hibbert
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Paul George reminds me a lot of a velociraptor on a rocket-powered surfboard with tentacle arms and eyeballs that shoot laserbeams.

But with worse handles. Now.

PR07
04-25-2011, 11:09 PM
He'll be better than T-Mac ever was defensively, offensively, I think he'll be a bit worse. I don't see him as a 28-30 ppg scorer the way T-Mac was.

naptownmenace
04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Right now, Paul George reminds me of Trevor Ariza. He might have the potential to be as good as T-Mac but I'm not convinced he can put it together on the offensive end.

PacersFan1991
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Paul's knees are saying, watch it buddy.