PDA

View Full Version : Pippen calls out Bulls and Boozer for lack of toughness

Marlin
04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
In light of the way the Pacers have been hammering Rose, Pippen is among the fans and media who believe the Bulls aren’t matching Indiana’s rough stuff.

‘‘You don’t give up layups in the playoffs,’’ Pippen said. ‘‘You knock a guy down and you make them go to the foul line and earn it. That’s what Derrick’s doing for the Bulls. And to me, it’s an eye for an eye.’’

Thibodeau is counseling against that.

‘‘In this league, you can’t do that,’’ Gibson said. ‘‘Nowadays, you look at the fines, the technicals being called. You can’t afford to lose players late. Thibs has been telling us to play with aggression. Don’t worry what the fans are saying. Just play our game.’’

Pippen, though, wants to see Rose backed up by his teammates.

‘‘They’ve all got two legs and two arms,’’ the six-time NBA champion said. ‘‘You’ve got Carlos Boozer out there who’s spending fouls and a lot of his fouls are not needed at the time that he’s giving them. Those could be hard fouls. Those could be fouls that you knock a [Darren] Collison to the floor, you knock a [Jeff] Foster to the floor.

‘‘Utilize your fouls and make them more valuable for you and your team.’’

Thibodeau wants to see all-around aggressiveness, rather than retribution.

‘‘It’s playoff basketball,’’ the coach said. ‘‘You have to play hard all the time. You have to have great urgency. And we have to be ready at the start of the game. That’s the big thing. We have to do a better job of starting the game.’’

By Herb Gould
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/5003999-417/bulls-derrick-rose-likely-to-play-despite-sore-ankle.html

edit: I realize that's not the actual title of the article, but that's how Pippen's quotes were presented on probasketballtalk.com, which I happened to read earlier

CooperManning
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
It's cute that Pippen thinks Boozer could knock Foster to the floor.

Kstat
04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I would reply to this, but I have a migraine, so I'm going to sit this one out.

Ozwalt72
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Shut up Pippen. Please.

naptownmenace
04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
That's what Dale Davis did to Pippen back in game 3 of their series in 98. Hit him with a hard but clean pick that hurt his back.

Day-V
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
That's what Dale Davis did to Pippen back in game 3 of their series in 98. Hit him with a hard but clean pick that hurt his back.

Thanked your post just because you said "Dale Davis".

KingGeorge
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Would anyone else pay to see a UFC fight between Foster and Boozer?

My money would be on the fiesty one. Fight ends with a roundhouse kick that leaves Boozer doing that stupid headshake he does.

CableKC
04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I think that Pippen has been reading PD when we said the same thing about giving DRose a reason to think twice about driving to the hoop. ;)

I just hope that he understands why the Pacers are doing the same exact thing to DRose....the Team is forcing DRose to earn every point that he gets...even if it means that he's going to be bumped around.

What's that old saying?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

rexnom
04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Forget Foster. Boozer lost out on the toughness fight when he let a second-year player get in his head.

Good move by Pip to pump up the Bulls though. He's absolutely right.

Day-V
04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Would anyone else pay to see a UFC fight between Foster and Boozer?

No way. The fight would be over in 3 seconds. Boozer wouldn't stand a chance.

Peck
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanked your post just because you said "Dale Davis".

I thanked your post for thanking him for saying "Dale Davis".

travmil
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I wish I could thank all of these Dale Davis mentions twice!

Dale Davis/Charles Oakley in their primes would be a good UFC fight. Boozer has about the square root of the toughness of either of those guys.

naptownmenace
04-25-2011, 03:34 PM
After thinking about this for a little while it dawned on me that Boozer has been leveling out a lot of hard hits in this series it's just that they've been of the loose ball variety. He's a cheap shot, sucker punch type of player.

He loves to push guys in the back when they try to box him out. He's thrown Tyler to the floor at least 3-4 times this series with no foul called. I was so glad to see him get called for the offensive foul early in game 4. He still does it a lot and after being called out by Pippen, I expect him to push and push even more in game 5. It'll be interesting to see if the refs turn a blind eye to it in Chicago.

bphil
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Boozer: looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

beast23
04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Boozer: looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.What the hell... that's an insult to Maureen O'Sullivan and all the other Jane's out there.

To say that he's even as tough as Jane, shame on you.

travmil
04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Why is that green?

Kemo
Shut up Pippen. Please.

While I dont like him encouraging hard fouls on our guys .. he is right in what he is saying..

Day-V
Why is that green?

I was just about to ask the exact same thing.

Eleazar
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Thibs seems to not know the difference between a hard foul and retribution. A hard foul just prevents the guy from scoring while sending a message, but isn't excessive, retribution is likely to land you with a T or F.

Drewtone
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Forget Foster. Boozer lost out on the toughness fight when he let a guard reject his game winning putback in the Sweet Sixteen

Fixed.

docpaul
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Look at Boozer's salary line:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

In his final contract year, 16.8 million in 2014-2015.

I'll go on record now in saying that they'll be thinking of him in the same way we did about JO not too long from now, and they'll be looking to dump his contract.

It is flat out incredible to me, that we're watching this team intimidate the Bulls. I still can't believe it.

vnzla81
04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
http://www.thebasketbulls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/boozer_thibs2.jpg

idioteque
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Pippen sounds like a guy that played in the NBA fifteen years ago.

The way the Pacers are playing is the exception, not the rule.

pwee31
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
He's just trying to get Bulls players fired up.

I'm just happy the Pacers have played well enough for him to worry and come out and say something like this.

Mono
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I thought this was going to be about Boozer's defense. Even though I agree with everything Pippen is saying on principle, because I like passionate, hard-nosed basketball, it's a tall, tall order to ask a guy who plays defense by pointing at you and shouting "Aaaaa!" while you smirk and lay the ball up to go from doing literally nothing to putting guys on the floor. Baby steps. Let's get Boozer to crouch and move his feet, at least, before asking him to become an enforcer. This guy is as soft as a baby's belly.

Deadshot
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Boozer only seems to push people in the back. I guess Collison's gonna have to drive to the lane running backwards for everything to stay consistent here.

rm1369
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Boozer only seems to push people in the back. I guess Collison's gonna have to drive to the lane running backwards for everything to stay consistent here.

It seems to work for him - he's averaging 11.5 boards a game. Maybe Tyler should try it!

spazzxb
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Pippen also said this about the Pacers.

"The Pacers' ability to push the Bulls has been somewhat troubling, but Pippen doesn't necessarily think it bodes ill for future series, should the Bulls put away the Pacers.

"I think that this Indiana Pacers team is playing with house money," Pippen said. "They're a very athletic team. They've came out and played some of the best basketball that they've played all season. This is not a team that's playing like an eight seed.

"I do expect the Bulls to play better going forward.""

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6415209

dal9
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
i was listening to (edit: the local guys on Chicago's) espn 1000 and even there they were raggin on boozer (and only boozer)...i am starting to feel bad for the guy...nobody at all seems to like him

Constellations
04-26-2011, 01:33 AM
i was listening to (edit: the local guys on Chicago's) espn 1000 and even there they were raggin on boozer (and only boozer)...i am starting to feel bad for the guy...nobody at all seems to like him

You might wanna open a window and check the temperature because it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever feel any sympathy towards Carlos Crybaby.

Whiskeyjim
04-26-2011, 01:50 AM
He's just trying to get Bulls players fired up.

I'm just happy the Pacers have played well enough for him to worry and come out and say something like this.no offense intended, but I hope no one close to the Pacers is saying crap like this.

The fact of the matter is that the pacers are good enough to be winning this series 3-1. because except for some confidence, I believe this Pacer team is every bit as good as that Bulls team.

And they do have to get over it and be ready to rumble a little. Except for Foster, this team is still allowing the Bulls to intimidate them when it comes to winning down the stretch. they need to decide right now if they're going to allow that to continue to happen.

Kemo
04-26-2011, 04:10 AM
it's a tall, tall order to ask a guy who plays defense by pointing at you and shouting "Aaaaa!"

LMAO! That's funny..:laugh:

Foul on Smits
04-26-2011, 06:20 AM
The Bulls, there fans and there alumni don't sound like a team up 3-1 against a number 8 seed