PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Progression Gives Hope for Game 5

joeyd
04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I've been reading about the optimism many fans have been expressing about winning game 5. Realistically there's a high probability that it won't happen, being a road game against a team that only lost 5 games all year at home and has the likely MVP playing for them.

There has been some talk that the Bulls are due for a great game and that we are due for a sub-par game. And this sounds reasonable, but "due" can be circumvented by great preparation, and I think this is why we have a chance. Chance also favors the prepared mind, and Frank has been getting this team prepared.

Look at the rapid progression this team has demonstrated under Vogel. We had a big problem with falling behind big in the first quarter. But towards the end of the season, this happened less frequently. This has not happened in the playoffs. We have had problems with ball movement and sharing the ball, but the team has been moving around and making the extra pass of late. And most importantly, while the Bulls made a charge late in the last game, we made our shots down the line and had a great defensive stand, and closed out a game. This gave the team a much needed shot of confidence, and is critical for the progression of a team in terms of mentality.

So do I think we have a shot? Yes. More than just a shot. Coming in, I thought that maybe we had a puncher's chance of winning any of these games. Now, I don't see how any pundit sitting out there can heavily favor the Bulls in any of the remaining games.

BRushWithDeath
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I think the Bulls are just not quite as good as their record indicates they should be.

I think they were playing as hard as they could possibly play in the regular season. They should be commended for that.

But they don't seem to have another notch on their dial. The Pacers, and every other playoff team from what I've seen, has been able to amp up their intensity in the playoffs. The Bulls haven't seemed capable of upping their ante.

I don't think we'll win tomorrow. But we have more than a remote chance. And that's pretty remarkable.

Peck
04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
But they don't seem to have another notch on their dial. The Pacers, and every other playoff team from what I've seen, has been able to amp up their intensity in the playoffs. The Bulls haven't seemed capable of upping their ante.

Even here amongst die hard Pacer fans how many would have believed that the Pacers had another notch to dial up for in the playoffs? Bobby Mac and that would be probably about it.

The vast majority of us were just happy to be here.

The fact that the team doesn't know it's supposed to roll over and die is just astounding and a credit to the players and coaching staff.

It is also further proof, to me anyway, that Jim O'Brien is the devil.

I Love P
04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
We are winning game 5. Period.

joeyd
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I guess one of my points is that Frank has done such good work in preparing this team on a game by game basis of late. Remember that he has to counter any adjustments that the COY on the opposing team is designing. The players have also been responding well to his game plan. When good preparation meets good execution, the difference in play between NBA teams is reduced, especially when the opposing team has only the one superstar.

IndyHoya
04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
It is also further proof, to me anyway, that Jim O'Brien is the devil.

LOL. Well, he IS the devil!

Hicks
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I think the Bulls are just not quite as good as their record indicates they should be.

I think they were playing as hard as they could possibly play in the regular season. They should be commended for that.

I don't think we'll win tomorrow. But we have more than a remote chance. And that's pretty remarkable.

Agreed.

These Bulls remind me of what I used to read people saying about Riley's Miami Heat teams a decade ago with regards to what you've said about not having another gear to shift into because they were already maximizing their effort in the regular season.

joeyd
04-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Agreed.

These Bulls remind me of what I used to read people saying about Riley's Miami Heat teams a decade ago with regards to what you've said about not having another gear to shift into because they were already maximizing their effort in the regular season.

All the more reason to give credit to Vogel. He took a team with zero playoff experience and here they are, cranking it up to another level!

Eleazar
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Does anyone else believe that the notion that the Pacers are due for a bad game and the Bulls are due for a great game because it has already happened?

michealwilliams4
04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Does anyone else believe that the notion that the Pacers are due for a bad game and the Bulls are due for a great game because it has already happened?

My biggest fear for this series was Indiana's overall inconsistencies being a hindrance in the way it was in that six-game losing streak a couple months back. But we've seen those inconsistencies and still had the Bulls in prime position to be defeated. The last five games, hell, date it back to Obie's last game when it was tied at the end of three despite the team playing horribly the entire game before Obie completely lost his mind in the fourth quarter, against Chicago...they've all shown Indiana matches up with them far better than I thought they did. I don't think poor/great games have any bearing on this matchup.

Indiana really stumbled out of the gate in Game 4, but it was still their game when they came on late in the second quarter. As long as the defense is to the level it's been all series, there's no way the Pacers are falling because of a poor Pacers game/great Bulls game. I'd be shocked to see Chicago, a team that hasn't led by more than 7 the entire series, run us out of the building. Mostly because Chicago doesn't even have an offense capable of running the Pacers out of the building.

IndySDExport
04-25-2011, 02:17 PM
"Remember Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

idioteque
04-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I've been reading about the optimism many fans have been expressing about winning game 5. Realistically...

My opinion was formed right here. I appreciate your analysis but the playoffs, for me, is a time to put on those blue and gold glasses. I've got the rest of the year to be more analytical. For now, there's no way this team will lose Game 5. I really feel in my heart that we're going to come back and win the series. Call me crazy, but its a gut feeling.

IUfan4life
04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm going to eat a bulls dick for good luck before game 5

BRushWithDeath
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Pause.

Ozwalt72
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Take it all you dirty little...

Errm....uh, do it right outside conseco. That would be epic.

Kid Minneapolis
04-25-2011, 02:52 PM

You sound like me 2.5 weeks ago: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1209326#post1209326

Needless to say, I completely agree.

Hicks
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM

If you must do this, at least put it on YouTube and then email it to Tosh.0.

*edit*

On second thought, don't do that. He'll make it look like that's what we all do.