PDA

View Full Version : Sooooooooooooooooooo my Mother in-law asks me

Peck
04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
During Easter lunch "what's wrong with the Pacers".

I at first was taken aback by the question because it just came out of nowhere so I asked her to repeat it.

She said in a disgusted voice "what's wrong with the Pacers". I'm torn at this very moment between laughing and crying but I decide instead of answering her I decided to get Diamond Dave's attention and once again asked her to repeat the question. This time she knew I was up to something but asked it again anyway.

All I could do at this point was just kind of laugh and say, what do you mean what's wrong with the team.

She said why are they constantly losing.

Now bare in mind she is in her mid 60's, lives in the country between Lafayette & Frankfort Indiana and only see's news from the Lafayette TV station which Pacer wise consist of reading the score from the game.

In my mind I gave a fiery speech that made George Patton look like Patton Oswalt. Extolling the virtues of our dynamic young team and the excellence of our coaching staff. That we have overcome the depths of hell itself with three and a half years of Satan task mastering away and crushing the spirits of our players and fans.

That we are often fighting 5 on 8 in this series and certainly have been fighting being called everything but irrelevant by the national media. I said that Danny Granger has lived up to the promise of the young player that many of us fell in love with years ago and that we see the future in Paul George.

I said that the few stood against many when we were invaded by the Mongol hoard on Saturday but many of us were on that wall as the Barbarians were at the gates and we did not falter.

I said that not only did the Bulls have to pull out every trick in the book to keep us from sweeping them but that right now we have them exactly where we want them and that Saturday was just the first step in the story of the greatest comeback in the history of the NBA.

That was all in my mind.

What I really said was "yea the media really has done a number on us as people outside the actual fans aren't even seeing that we are not doing poorly at all but in fact are exceeding expectations".

I liked the speech in my head better.

IndyHoya
04-25-2011, 12:34 AM
During Easter lunch "what's wrong with the Pacers".

I at first was taken aback by the question because it just came out of nowhere so I asked her to repeat it.

She said in a disgusted voice "what's wrong with the Pacers". I'm torn at this very moment between laughing and crying but I decide instead of answering her I decided to get Diamond Dave's attention and once again asked her to repeat the question. This time she knew I was up to something but asked it again anyway.

All I could do at this point was just kind of laugh and say, what do you mean what's wrong with the team.

She said why are they constantly losing.

Now bare in mind she is in her mid 60's, lives in the country between Lafayette & Frankfort Indiana and only see's news from the Lafayette TV station which Pacer wise consist of reading the score from the game.

In my mind I gave a fiery speech that made George Patton look like Patton Oswalt. Extolling the virtues of our dynamic young team and the excellence of our coaching staff. That we have overcome the depths of hell itself with three and a half years of Satan task mastering away and crushing the spirits of our players and fans.

That we are often fighting 5 on 8 in this series and certainly have been fighting being called everything but irrelevant by the national media. I said that Danny Granger has lived up to the promise of the young player that many of us fell in love with years ago and that we see the future in Paul George.

I said that the few stood against many when we were invaded by the Mongol hoard on Saturday but many of us were on that wall as the Barbarians were at the gates and we did not falter.

I said that not only did the Bulls have to pull out every trick in the book to keep us from sweeping them but that right now we have them exactly where we want them and that Saturday was just the first step in the story of the greatest comeback in the history of the NBA.

That was all in my mind.

What I really said was "yea the media really has done a number on us as people outside the actual fans aren't even seeing that we are not doing poorly at all but in fact are exceeding expectations".

I liked the speech in my head better.

I liked the head speech better too. Well done! And well written!

Go Pacers!

birdsandbats
04-25-2011, 12:39 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh69ljQdFV1qafrh6.gif

No but in all honesty, it was a fun read!

ilive4sports
04-25-2011, 12:43 AM
There is an inappropriate joke somewhere in the title of this thread.

KingGeorge
04-25-2011, 12:47 AM
This is awesome. I had this same problem today at my family gathering since I was wearing my Collison shirt.

No better way to spend Easter than punching your grandmother in the throat.

imbtyler
04-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I spent the second half of Saturday's game at a pizza place with my parents and grandparents, watching a stream on my dad's phone's browser (my iPhone no likey flash), and giving play-by-play/color commentary to the rest of the table. It was nerve-wracking as the video glitched every time a free throw was shot, and especially as the game got down to the last 10 seconds.

After the game ended, and my own personal celebration occurred in my head, a woman at another table walked up to me and asked if "they won", implying my McRoberts t-jersey. I excitedly proclaimed they had. It was a good moment.

AesopRockOn
04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Patton would have made the speech.

http://www-movieline-com.vimg.net/images/patton_facepaint_top.jpg

:D

Day-V
04-25-2011, 01:03 AM
After the game ended, and my own personal celebration occurred in my head, a woman at another table walked up to me and asked if "they won", implying my McRoberts t-jersey. I excitedly proclaimed they had. It was a good moment.

That kind of thing happened multiple times to myself, BPump, and other Area 55ers after the game. We went out to a few bars and stuff, and every place we went, we had people see our Travis Diener and Dale Davis jerseys and ask "Did the Pacers win tonight?" Not "Did you guys go to the game?" but "Did the Pacers win?"

It was frustrating. But hey, at least people know we're still playing. I guess that's a plus?

Strummer
04-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Sounds to me like she was trolling. I would have blocked her.

Kemo
04-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Sounds to me like she was trolling. I would have blocked her.

thats hillarious.. lmao

mattie
04-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Peck, would you mind having this post repeatedly posted on different blogs and on FB? Obviously you would be cited.

mattie
04-25-2011, 03:07 AM
The reason is as that is so well written, and it is also the exact feeling from nearly every Pacers fan who is tired of every single Indianapolis native repeatedly saying the Pacers suck. I'd love for both my friends and other Indiana fans to get to read that.

Peck
04-25-2011, 03:42 AM
Peck, would you mind having this post repeatedly posted on different blogs and on FB? Obviously you would be cited.

Feel free....:dance:

indygeezer
04-25-2011, 05:07 AM
WTH does her being in her 60's have to do with it?

Is she single?

04-25-2011, 07:57 AM
That's frustrating, however, that seems to be a common opinion. While we were sub .500 the Pacers had multiple stretches of excellent basketball and have proven that they belong in the playoffs.

The only way this opinion changes is [1] if the Pacers win 50 games or more next season, or [2] if the Pacers [finally] get the press attention they have earned while playing at or above .500. It all comes down to the volume of games won and the attention they receive in a football climate.

McKeyFan
04-25-2011, 08:04 AM

?
The numeric value of "JOB" adds up to 60.

Trophy
04-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Hopefully we make the playoffs no problem next season and it'll officially change people's mindset on the team knowing we're a solid contending playoff team.

The whole season seemed to have not been enough to lure people back, but after making the playoffs this year, it probably will next year.

Heisenberg
04-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Too much Easter candy for Roy couldn't have helped

http://a.yfrog.com/img612/2627/yvnmc.jpg

Justin Tyme
04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Is she single?

It's a generation thing. Once over 40 you are considered ancient by the following generations.

indygeezer
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
It's a generation thing. Once over 40 you are considered ancient by the following generations.

thus my screename since the late 80's.

grace
04-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Does that mean I have to change my screen name to "geezer grace"?

Peck
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Is she single?

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea sorry about that geezer how about I rephrase that to say "she lives in the country and does not closely follow sports".

;);)

I'll have to ask my father in-law if she can be single or not. :laugh::laugh:

IUfan4life
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Patton would have made the speech.

http://www-movieline-com.vimg.net/images/patton_facepaint_top.jpg

:D
well, he would have written the speech down on a piece of paper, left, and called from his his room in his mothers house.

Scot Pollard
04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
She sounds like someone who doesn't really follow sports.

Even most casual fans know the Pacers are back which is why I'm fully expecting more ticket packs to be sold and the place to be packed.

Peck
04-25-2011, 06:21 PM
She sounds like someone who doesn't really follow sports.

Even most casual fans know the Pacers are back which is why I'm fully expecting more ticket packs to be sold and the place to be packed.

I love you enthusiasm & hope you are right, however I fear you are wrong.

Scot Pollard
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I love you enthusiasm & hope you are right, however I fear you are wrong.

I should've rephrased the term "packed".

I doubt we will average sellouts every game, but definitely see more sellouts on weekends next season and rougly 90% of the Fieldhouse filled on average.

KingGeorge
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I should've rephrased the term "packed".

I doubt we will average sellouts every game, but definitely see more sellouts on weekends next season and rougly 90% of the Fieldhouse filled on average.

I actually think you are on to something here. We were averaging around 90% or more from 2000-2007, and we are finally starting to get some attention this year.

There are also a lot of factors. If we have the lockout or start off the season with a losing record, we are probably looking at the same scenario from this year.

However, if we can force a game 6 and keep fighting the Bulls hard, and have a strong start to the season, I think we easily average 16,000 +.

I also think with this young team and upcoming free agents we could possibly be near the top ten in 2-3 years.

Constellations
04-26-2011, 01:20 AM
I am just praying that we don't turn into this season's Buck's next year. They were a 46-36 team and gave the 53-29 Atlanta Hawks all they could handle in an awesome 7 game series I might add. However, as everyone knows, they went to 35-47 and missed the playoffs giving their highly anticipated fans a nightmare season.

I have faith Pacers! Always will...

BRushWithDeath
04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I am just praying that we don't turn into this season's Buck's next year. They were a 46-36 team and gave the 53-29 Atlanta Hawks all they could handle in an awesome 7 game series I might add. However, as everyone knows, they went to 35-47 and missed the playoffs giving their highly anticipated fans a nightmare season.

I have faith Pacers! Always will...

And it isn't like the Bucks had good attendance this year.

It takes more than one late run to get the fans back. Will there be more than this year? Probably. But only a few. It requires sustained success.