PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose wearing a walking boot today

Hicks
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Read that on Twitter earlier; figured someone would have mentioned it before I got back.

I'll try to find the tweet again; it was someone from the (not Indy) media.

*edit*

Even better, a link to a story about it on ESPN Chicago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6420239

Nick Friedell
ESPNChicago.com

A day after injuring his ankle in his team's first playoff loss, Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose arrived at Sunday's film session wearing a walking boot.

Rose did not participate in the shootaround after the team watched film. He is expected to get an MRI on Sunday afternoon and will be re-evaluated by team doctors at that time.

Rose turned his ankle driving to the basket late in the first quarter. He didn't appear to make contact with any other player.

"I really can't explain it," Rose said Saturday. "I just took off wrong and my weight just pushed over my ankle and it ended up twisting."

Rose had an X-ray following Saturday's loss to the Indiana Pacers, and results were negative.

Hicks
04-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Even if this only slows him down by 10%, this could be huge.

vnzla81
04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Cool :cool:

mattie
04-24-2011, 03:15 PM
It already has been huge! Rose did not move that well the rest of the game yesterday. Not as much attacking, not as much lift in his leaping ability (see: DC blocking his layup).

Scot Pollard
04-24-2011, 03:15 PM
:dance: :dance: :dance:

hoosierguy
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
You can play on adrenaline after spraining your ankle but after an extended period of immobility it will swell and stiffen considerably.

I would expect him to not be 100% on Tuesday.

hoosierguy
04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Poor taste.:shakehead

Let's not cheer for injuries.

pizza guy
04-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Pretty standard next-day swelling probably. I expect him to be ready to go for Game 5, and I hope the Pacers are preparing for a focused and motivated Rose, fully healthy or not.

LetsTalkPacers
04-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Never like to see players injured and I hope he is ok, but if he were to play it safe and sit out a game or two. I would be ok with that.

Lord Helmet
04-24-2011, 03:26 PM
SamSmithHoops (http://twitter.com/#%21/SamSmithHoops) Sam Smith
Retweeted by HicksPD
Rose will have an MRI later, which tells more than X-rays. He's a tough one and will want to play, but if he does I assume he's limited some

http://twitter.com/#!/SamSmithHoops

Marlin
04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
He'll be ready

Shade
04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
A walking boot? What, did Paul Pierce take all the wheelchairs?

BillS
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd rather play them with their best player intact, because anything from now on will be excuse city, but also because we know what it feels like to have your team changed by injuries.

Although, I do expect the league to make some new rules about opposing teams leaving footprints on the basketball floor that star players can slip on - maybe make it a technical foul or something...

Shade
04-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd rather play them with their best player intact, because anything from now on will be excuse city, but also because we know what it feels like to have your team changed by injuries.

Although, I do expect the league to make some new rules about opposing teams leaving footprints on the basketball floor that star players can slip on - maybe make it a technical foul or something...

Screw that - I want to win. We've already proven we can hang with these guys at full strength, anyway.

Look at it as a way to offset all the unfair advantages the Bulls already have on us.

cdash
04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Sissy. He's just milking in and putting in a built in excuse for his crappy performances.

Kemo
04-24-2011, 03:49 PM

While I agree , this is HUGE for us momentumwise ..

and it needs to be thoroughly exploited so we can win these games

hoosierguy
04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
While I agree , this is HUGE for us momentumwise ..

and it needs to be thoroughly exploited so we can win these games

Without question.

CooperManning
04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Sissy. He's just milking in and putting in a built in excuse for his crappy performances.

Some call this "the Steve McNair tactic"

AesopRockOn
04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm half on Bills side, half on Shade's side. Obviously we'll take any advantage we can get, especially on the road. That said, we know we can beat this team. We'll see what the reports say Monday/Tuesday morning.

MaHa3000
04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
It did affect his game on Saturday. I don't think we will have the same benefit Tuesday. He will probably be fine and almost 100%.
We just need to continue to do the same with him as we did in the last 2 games. If we can keep it together in the fourth we have a good chance of pushing to game 6. We are a young team that hopefully has learned a lot in this series especially in the last 2 minutes of game 4. Confidence will put us over the top and we can make this a series to go down in Pacers history.
I personally thought that an injury to Rose would mean us being in the second round. But now that he has a sprained ankle I do not want that to be the reason we advance.
We have played Rose good and we deserve the credit for that. I do not want this effort to be tainted due to an injury to an opposing superstar. We can succeed anyways. That's what I'm hoping for.

ksuttonjr76
04-24-2011, 03:55 PM

And? I didn't see that much pity from the Chicago fans when Boozer elbowed Hansbrough in the head.

Personally, I'm cheering on this injury :dance:.

hoosierguy
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
And? I didn't see that much pity from the Chicago fans when Boozer elbowed Hansbrough in the head.

Personally, I'm cheering on this injury :dance:.

How about we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the Chicago heathens?

ksuttonjr76
04-24-2011, 04:11 PM
How about we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the Chicago heathens?

He sprained his ankle...he didn't get shot.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 04:11 PM
It's way too early to really say what this could mean. It is likely precautionary and a step he was encouraged to take by the Chicago training staff. I'm sure it was sore and stiff this morning (TWSS) and was likely the reason he didn't take the shoe off during the game. It was clear he was limited upon his return, so it will be interesting to see how much it lingers.

hoosierguy
04-24-2011, 04:17 PM
It's way too early to really say what this could mean. It is likely precautionary and a step he was encouraged to take by the Chicago training staff. I'm sure it was sore and stiff this morning (TWSS).

:twss:

Basketball Fan
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Rest assured it won't end up nearly as annoying as Tom Brady's boot before SB XLII

Slick Pinkham
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

To the credit of the players on both the Bulls and Pacers, they haven't been making excuses for losing. Rose was obviously somewhat limited after the injury, and in game 2 we sure missed Collison after he went down, but the players on each team didn't make excuses, whine, or even fault the refs much after the game despite their on-court protests. Certainly they avoided after-the-fact excuse-making much more than many of the fans of BOTH teams.

TMJ31
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
On a personal level, I don't want him to be HURT.

On a Pacers fan level, I sure as hell want him to be INJURED.

I feel no need to 'defend' this position.

If my team gains an advantage by someone else twisting their ankle, then I am all for that.

This is the playoffs... We didn't see Chicago feeling sorry for us when DC was out for the second half of a game we were thoroughly controlling.

I hope his ankle is swollen as big as a watermelon and he can't take a single step without incredible discomfort.

Anything that helps the Pacers I'm all for.

Slick Pinkham
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Rest assured it won't end up nearly as annoying as Tom Brady's boot before SB XLII

Remember though that for Brady there was a two-week layoff, it did affect his mobility, it was in fact a broken bone even though it was denied at the time, and it did require significant offseason surgery. Added to the fact that the press always begs for Super Bowl stories, that BB and players are always zip-lipped, and anything like that will be played up.

15th parallel
04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't want to celebrate about his injury, but we got to take advantage of every opportunity we get (a less than 100% Rose is easier to guard and DC and AJ can also take advantage of this on offense against Rose).

With their loss yesterday, the Bulls have become more exposed in the playoffs and further proves what Danny has been saying on his interview. A less than explosive Rose further limits their already limited offense.

pwee31
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
He'll be just fine. Walking boot is likely precautionary. He'll these couple of days to rest it.

I don't expect it to slow him down that much. If it does... they're in trouble

TMJ31
04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I suppose that the Bulls could be trying to make it look worse than it really is in an attempt to throw off our gameplan, that's what I would do were I in their situation.

With that being said, I doubt that's what actually happening. I think it's worse than Rose made it out to be.

SMosley21
04-24-2011, 05:00 PM
By the time our next game rolls around he will have had nearly basically 3.5 days to rest it. I'm expecting him to be very close to 100% unless it's a very serious sprain.

idioteque
04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
This will have a minimal effect on Game 5, which we will win, whether Rose is out or at 100%.

I prefer beating a team at full strength and I honestly don't want him to be hurt.

TMJ31
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Sprained ankles aren't something to be messed with.

I've had ankle sprains that have bothered me for weeks if not months, as I am sure many of you have had as well.

Now obviously we don't have state of the art medical equipment at our disposal, but that only makes so much difference.

joeyd
04-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree the boot is probably precautionary, but if it did swell, well then, it swelled, and I'd be happy with the storyline shifting from the Pacers talking about what might have been, to the Bulls talking about what might have been if Rose is limited in any way. However, I did not notice Rose being limited too much after the sprain. He led the Bulls comeback same as he always had, made amazing moves to the basket not to mention a couple of timely steals, and let's face it, the Pacers played great D on their last meaningful possession denying the 3-ball. Their inability to come back had little if anything to do with Rose not being 100%.

I don't hope for players to get injured, but if a cameraman is not involved and it is in the normal course of a game, it's just something that happens and is a part of the game. It is what it is. Teams deal with it or go home.

Hicks
04-24-2011, 05:42 PM
The question is if this is worse than DC's. DC was not 100% in Game 3, though he looked closer to it in Game 4.

I have to assume this wasn't as bad as DC's because Rose kept playing, so I guess I shouldn't expect this to matter, but then again why the walking boot? DC didn't wear one, as far as I know.

Sandman21
04-24-2011, 07:24 PM
On one hand, I want to see him playing in game 5 because the only thing worse than an annoying Bulls fan is a WHINING annoying Bulls fan.

On the other hand...... man would karma be a ***** for the drunken, foul-mouthed trash that invaded Conseco yesterday if he couldn't go for the rest of the series! :D

Kemo
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
<object width="464" height="408" id="531711" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" alt="Try Not To Laugh Challenge Funny Videos"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NTMxNzEx"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NTMxNzEx" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="408"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/try-not-to-laugh.html" target="_blank">Try Not To Laugh Challenge</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/" target="_blank">Funny Videos</a></font>

Eleazar
04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
The question is if this is worse than DC's. DC was not 100% in Game 3, though he looked closer to it in Game 4.

I have to assume this wasn't as bad as DC's because Rose kept playing, so I guess I shouldn't expect this to matter, but then again why the walking boot? DC didn't wear one, as far as I know.

While true, it could be that one of the reasons that Rose did keep playing was because he is more important to the Bulls than DC is to the Pacers. Also if they were able to beat us that would just be extra time for it to heal.

I don't know, just playing devil's advocate.

pwee31
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
This game gets A LOT more interesting with a hobbled Rose. I expect him to be fine though. The Pacers just have to go into the United Center... stick together and fight!

It's going to come down to the start of the game. A good start like we've had for most of the series and we could very well be headed back to Conseco Thursday.

A slow start, with the Bulls coming out hot, and it could be a long night.

We have a chance! Love that we're still playing! Can't wait until Tuesday

04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
I understand that Derrick Rose is a superstar, but this causes me to appreciate Darren Collison more.

Cry baby, cry.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__1/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-384516141-1206969671.jpg?ymaPVrADKqwcNEUC

TheDon
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Honestly if he's hurt and he wants to play through it i'm ok with that, he's already shooting in the low 30% range for the series. If his legs aren't under him he can't get much better and if he's slowed then it just makes it even easier to guard him or get around him.

pacers74
04-24-2011, 09:53 PM
It is perefectly fine to be happy that he is hurt. Nobody on the Pacers injured him on purpose. It is only a sprained ankle it is not like it is career ending. We are big underdogs and were not even expected to be able to hang with the Bulls in the series. We finally got a win and it would be nice if Rose wasn't 100% and we could steal one in Chicago. If nothing else it gets us another game at Conseco, and it gives our young guys more playoff experience.

BoomBaby31
04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
He doesn't know what happened?

Have any of you seen how he wears his shoes? The high top part is super high and laces below on the shoe not on the actual high top. (If it does lace up there he doesn't do it) He shoes look super lose as well. The design and how he laces them screams "Please, twist my ankle."

BringJackBack
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
This does give him room to do the 'Remarkable performance by Rose dropping 45 points and 10 assists on one leg' routine though.

owl
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
It means nothing...just a psyche job. Pacers should plan on nothing but 100% from all the Bulls players.

Mackey_Rose
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
He doesn't know what happened?

Have any of you seen how he wears his shoes? The high top part is super high and laces below on the shoe not on the actual high top. (If it does lace up there he doesn't do it) He shoes look super lose as well. The design and how he laces them screams "Please, twist my ankle."

Those are ankle braces he is wearing above his shoes.

Anthem
04-26-2011, 06:58 AM
So... Any word on this?

daschysta
04-26-2011, 07:12 AM
If he isn't 100 percent, and collison is closer to it we can really exploit him defensively. He already had problems keeping collison outside of the lane when healthy.

The best way to exploit the ankle is to make him have to rotate quickly, change direction and be constantly moving on defense.

I have no doubt rose plays, but we can't bail him out.

Roaming Gnome
04-26-2011, 07:39 AM
It means nothing...just a psyche job. Pacers should plan on nothing but 100% from all the Bulls players.

Exactly! He will be as effective as DC was after his rolled ankle, if not more so. I'm sure Coach Frank and the fellas will not even be concerned about his injury & game plan for Rose as if he was 100%!

Go Pacers.... Don't let it end tonight!!!