PDA

View Full Version : Stat lines can lie

Banta
04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Hibbert's game yesterday is a perfect example of it.

Three times in the 3rd qtr he hit the ground and took FOREVER to get off the floor, not even making it back down the court. Two of those times he just stood down around the free throw line waiting for the team to come back.

All the Bulls fans around us were calling him a p*ssy for not dunking with authority several times when he had the ball very close. Sadly, I could only agree with them.

IndyHoya
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Hibbert's game yesterday is a perfect example of it.

Three times in the 3rd qtr he hit the ground and took FOREVER to get off the floor, not even making it back down the court. Two of those times he just stood down around the free throw line waiting for the team to come back.

All the Bulls fans around us were calling him a p*ssy for not dunking with authority several times when he had the ball very close. Sadly, I could only agree with them.

Hibbert actually had a great game. 16 points, 10 rebounds (4 offensive) and hit a couple of very important shots. Defensively, he did a very nice job, staying out of foul trouble, and getting some key blocks. Most of Noah's buckets were non-contested slips due to Roy's hedging on Rose.

Roy is what he is, a work in progress. Each year he gets better. He has nothing but upside in my opinion. I'd like more meanness in him, a little more Ewing, a little more Mourning. But you should have seen him when he first came to Georgetown. I would never have predicted from that what he's become.

By the way, Noah's reputed to be the best defensive center in the NBA. Roy gave him all he wanted yesterday.

Banta
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Hibbert actually had a great game. 16 points, 10 rebounds (4 offensive) and hit a couple of very important shots. Defensively, he did a very nice job, staying out of foul trouble, and getting some key blocks. Most of Noah's buckets were non-contested slips due to Roy's hedging on Rose.

Roy is what he is, a work in progress. Each year he gets better. He has nothing but upside in my opinion. I'd like more meanness in him, a little more Ewing, a little more Mourning. But you should have seen him when he first came to Georgetown. I would never have predicted from that what he's become.

By the way, Noah's reputed to be the best defensive center in the NBA. Roy gave him all he wanted yesterday.

Stat lines can lie. I want to see some fire, some hustle, some effort. I wouldn't mind seeing him actually run occassionally, considering he is playing a sport and all. He lollygagged repeatedly yesterday and lacked intensity. That's what I saw.

Ozwalt72
04-24-2011, 11:41 AM

If I remember right, a couple of those was him making a defensive play and avoiding the foul by hitting the ground. Which led to a fast break. What's the issue?

Banta
04-24-2011, 11:48 AM
If I remember right, a couple of those was him making a defensive play and avoiding the foul by hitting the ground. Which led to a fast break. What's the issue?

I love the Pacers and I'd love to see Hibs turn into something more, so I'm not taking pleasure in ripping him but the incidents I'm remembering were not fast breaks. My friend and I took such notice of it that we wondered if it was somethign Vogel was coaching him to do. These weren't fast breaks. He just made no attempt to get back.

heywoode
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I noticed it too. Both times I saw it, Roy had been involved in the play and hit the floor. He got up slowly (which 7 foot 2 inch guys are prone to do...) and it looked like there was going to be a swift bucket on the other end. He was saving his energy. I'm fine with it.

KingGeorge
04-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I would say Foster is a better example of this than Hibbert. The little things he does really add up over the game.

sportfireman
04-24-2011, 01:18 PM
No Troy Murphy is a great example of this....his stats say he's an excllent dominating rebounder...

heywoode
04-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I would say Foster is a better example of this than Foster. The little things he does really add up over the game.

No! I would say Hibbert is a better example of this than Hibbert!

:-p

KingGeorge
04-24-2011, 02:12 PM
No! I would say Hibbert is a better example of this than Hibbert!

:-p

:censored: You caught me.

spazzxb
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM
so I'm not taking pleasure in ripping him but the incidents I'm remembering were not fast breaks.

yes you are. How can you use that title without having any reference to statistics? If you seriously think you made a valuable thread why did you need a misleading title? Your original post was 100% negative.

Banta
04-24-2011, 08:24 PM
yes you are. How can you use that title without having any reference to statistics? If you seriously think you made a valuable thread why did you need a misleading title? Your original post was 100% negative.

Brother, I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone else who responded in this thread seemed to understand that I was saying Hibbert's stat line for yesterday didn't really tell what kind of game he had. The title just wasn't misleading. We don't have to agree about Hibbert.

AesopRockOn
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Um, Dwight Howard?

IndyHoya
04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Stat lines can lie. I want to see some fire, some hustle, some effort. I wouldn't mind seeing him actually run occassionally, considering he is playing a sport and all. He lollygagged repeatedly yesterday and lacked intensity. That's what I saw.

I have to disagree with you to an extent. He was very slow getting up from one spill and showed no inclination to hustle back when the rest of the team had moved upcourt with the ball. I should say too that I think prior to the spill he had something to do with the ball going upcourt - can't remember for sure but I think I'm right.

That said, I don't know what happened on that play and, to be fair, you don't either. Maybe he was gassed; maybe his asthma. It looked bad, but none of us know.

But aside from that I saw a lot of fire from Roy in Game 4. He was obviously making a concerted effort to get into his shot quickly, particularly early in the game. He wasn't totally effective with that. It seemed kind of forced and he missed two or three of those early takes. But I liked the effort and although they spun out, they could just as easily have gone in.

He also hit at least 2 mid-range shots that you give him no credit for. He didn't hesitate or overthink. He went right up with them. Roy seemed stung and he was responding. You and I saw two different Roys. I liked the Roy I saw. He wanted to be a factor, and he was. A big factor.

Like you, I want more from Hibbert. I want brutal, rim-ringing takes. I want him throwing down jams and a lot less "lay it off the glass" finesse when he's close to the hoop. Maybe someday we'll see that. I've been watching him, as I said, a long time. Just when I think "well, he's better now than I ever thought he'd be" Roy gets better. He's sure better than he was last year. And last year he was a lot better than the year before that.

spazzxb
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Brother, I don't know what you're talking about. Everyone else who responded in this thread seemed to understand that I was saying Hibbert's stat line for yesterday didn't really tell what kind of game he had. The title just wasn't misleading. We don't have to agree about Hibbert.

Just saying that you enjoy bashing Hibbert . I feel you avoided posting the stats because it made it easier for you to discount them. If you didn't enjoy ripping on him you wouldn't have made a concerted effort to avoid showing anything positive. Honestly, I don't really care.

Mackey_Rose
04-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Honestly, I don't really care.

Every time you throw that in at the end of another whiny post, it usually means you really care. A lot.

spazzxb
04-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Every time you throw that in at the end of another whiny post, it usually means you really care. A lot.

Not about most of what you have to say.Why don't you tell the world how much Foster sucks again.

[Removed because I got my threads mixed up earlier]

And whomever Day V is should think about the horse he is tethering himself to.

P.S. I do care a great deal about the pacers organization and think they deserve more support than the fan-base has been giving them .

Banta
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Just saying that you enjoy bashing Hibbert . I feel you avoided posting the stats because it made it easier for you to discount them. If you didn't enjoy ripping on him you wouldn't have made a concerted effort to avoid showing anything positive. Honestly, I don't really care.

Think what you want, brother.

King Tuts Tomb
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/desmond-hume.jpg

ilive4sports
04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Is anyone else reading his posts with the Hulk Hogan voice because he says brother?

Day-V
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
And whomever Day V is should think about the horse he is tethering himself to.

Agreeing with a post does not require tethering oneself to anything, whoever the hell you are.

PaceBalls
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Is anyone else reading his posts with the Hulk Hogan voice because he says brother?

I do that with alot of you guys. Peck is Stephen Fry, Uncle Buck is... John Candy, Spazz is Carrottop, 90sNBARocked is Charles Manson. That guy is definitely the Hulkster from now on.

Day-V
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
I do that with alot of you guys. Peck is Stephen Fry, Uncle Buck is... John Candy, Spazz is Carrottop, 90sNBARocked is Charles Manson. That guy is definitely the Hulkster from now on.

For me, Duke Dynamite is Mickey Mouse, and Naptown Seth is the teacher from Charlie Brown. ;)

pacers_heath
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
i noticed roy drawing a handful of double teams. i was at the game and he seemed to play well overall before I even looked at his stats.

Banta
04-25-2011, 06:07 PM

I wish I could click the THANKS button 4 times!! :cool: Bad habit, like some guys say "man" or "dude."