PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger and his scoring efficiency

mattie
04-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Most of you were all real upset with how low Danny's FG% was during the regular season. It is understandable as Danny was only shooting .42% from the field.

So what if I told you Danny was actually scoring more efficiently during the regular season than in the playoffs? :eek:

Danny's TS% during the regular season: .554 Danny's playoff TS%: .552.

I bring this up too help destroy the myth that Danny was shooting so bad during the regular season. He wasn't. Danny was scoring at a pretty efficient rate during the regular season just as he his during the playoffs.

For those that don't quite understand what TS% as well as EFG% is I'll explain. Realize it is not some crazy advanced statistic that ignores the way the game is actually played. All it is a much more accurate representation of players scoring efficiency. FG% by it's self is a completely worthless stat. If you're going to by that statistic ever? You're wrong. It doesn't take into account how many points a player is actually scoring per attempt.

As most everyone knows, eFG% takes into account how many threes a player shoots of all his attempts, and TS% takes into account how many times a player is getting to the line. They're both important.

If we're wondering why it seems Danny is shooting much better from the field this playoff series when he is actually not, it is because Danny hasn't been able to get to the line like he normally does. However, it is worth noting that Danny has done an excellent job shooting from the floor, and if he's able to start going to the line the rest of the series, he'll be incredibly effective scoring the ball.

During the regular season Danny was forcing up too many bad shots, but because he was shooting so well from downtown, and because he was getting to the line every night, he was still scoring well.

yoadknux
04-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Playoffs (Per Game)
FG/FGA : 9-18.5
3p/3pA : 1.25-4.75

%eFG = (FG+0.5*3p) / FGA = 0.52

Season (Per Game)
FG/FGA : 6.8 - 16
3p/3pA : 2.0-5.2

%eFG = 0.4875

His playoffs %eFG is higher and he's scoring slightly more points... So personally I think so far he played better in the playoffs

Anthem
04-24-2011, 07:53 AM
If anything, I'd expect this playoffs to kill the "Danny just chucks threes" meme.

brichard
04-24-2011, 09:14 AM
The nice thing about Danny last night, is many times he wasn't settling for that contested 3, but rather getting his man up in the air, and taking a nice mid-range jumper. I hope he continues to do that, because there are holes in the Bulls defense, and they tend to be in that mid-range area.

Frostwolf
04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
haters be shutting up for this thread, at least.

mattie
04-24-2011, 03:04 PM
The nice thing about Danny last night, is many times he wasn't settling for that contested 3, but rather getting his man up in the air, and taking a nice mid-range jumper. I hope he continues to do that, because there are holes in the Bulls defense, and they tend to be in that mid-range area.

Ok listen. Stop saying that. Just stop. Danny's shot selection outside of the three point line has been excellent. Period. It always has been. The reason why we know this is because Danny shoots a great 3p%, and has had no problem getting open looks throughout the game.

The problem has ALWAYS been the long contested 20 foot jumpers when he could get in the lane and earn a trip to the foul line.

mattie
04-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Playoffs (Per Game)
FG/FGA : 9-18.5
3p/3pA : 1.25-4.75

%eFG = (FG+0.5*3p) / FGA = 0.52

Season (Per Game)
FG/FGA : 6.8 - 16
3p/3pA : 2.0-5.2

%eFG = 0.4875

His playoffs %eFG is higher and he's scoring slightly more points... So personally I think so far he played better in the playoffs

Oh I agree. We gotta take everything into account, and he is shooting much better during this entire series. However, would be nice if he was ablte to get more trips to the line like last night, but Danny knows this. He always tries to force contact.... Great series by Danny!

brichard
04-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Ok listen. Stop saying that. Just stop. Danny's shot selection outside of the three point line has been excellent. Period. It always has been. The reason why we know this is because Danny shoots a great 3p%, and has had no problem getting open looks throughout the game.

The problem has ALWAYS been the long contested 20 foot jumpers when he could get in the lane and earn a trip to the foul line.

Well shot selection is a pretty broad category and I have seen him shoot some contested 3's. I've also seen him shoot several jumpers with nobody underneath. Thankfully he has hit most of them, but his shot selection isn't always great in my opinion.

Dr. Hibbert
04-24-2011, 07:59 PM
I had no problems with Danny last game except missing the open threes and that gimme 8-footer he front-rimmed.

ensergio
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Do you guys want Granger hit 100%? The best players miss shots, people!

I'm very proud of Granger's game this playoffs.

04-24-2011, 08:22 PM
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad158/FrankRob/FR_GettingOld.jpg

brichard
04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Do you guys want Granger hit 100%? The best players miss shots, people!

I'm very proud of Granger's game this playoffs.

This thread is largely supportive of Danny and how he played in the last game, is it not? Criticism of him on this thread has been minimal at best. Nobobdy is perfect, and people will bring up those imperfections, but that shouldn't be classifed as rendering him a bad player. He played great... would love to see him play that well again.

Frostwolf
04-25-2011, 02:04 AM
part of the reason why the notion gets perpetuated about a player (like danny) is that bad shots stick so much in people's memories than good shots.

"remember that shot where he was falling out of bounds, with two guys in his face and he airballed it?"

versus

"remember that shot where he was wide open, and he hit it?"

not saying it's the only cause, but it's much easier to get mad at a bad shot.

Heisenberg
04-25-2011, 05:26 AM
If anything, I'd expect this playoffs to kill the "Danny just chucks threes" meme.
It's not, far from it. Read a Bulls blog, if you can get past the 3rd grade level of intellect.