PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for the New CBA (that won't ever be seriously considered)

Eleazar
04-24-2011, 04:40 AM
I know it is playoff time so people aren't really thinking about it, but I just thought of an idea for the new CBA. Shortly it will be obvious to all that this idea would never be accepted by the players, but hey doesn't mean it shouldn't be out there and talked about.

So a big issue with the upcoming CBA is length of guaranteed contracts. My idea is to instead of signing a guaranteed contract of a certain amount of years and pay the players can only sign a guaranteed contract of a certain amount of years. Then every offseason every player negotiates a new salary for that season and only that season. So basically it is like newly drafted players. The team has rights to the player, but there is no money contract. Those rights can be traded and such. This would also make it a lot easier to implement a hard cap.

There would probably need to be rules like, "If the team is unable to offer at least 75% of the players previous years contract without going over the cap, the player has the option to become a free agent." Like any system it isn't perfect, but I think it would be an interesting experiment and help motivate players to actually earn their contracts but still have job security.

PacerDude
04-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, while it's not perfect - it's better than what they have now. I was thinking of some kind of sliding scale - in reverse. 5 year deal. 1st 100% guaranteed, 2nd - 80%, 3rd - 60%, etc ........ Or similar to the NFL with a signing bonus. I don't know what the answer is, but they do need to do something.

BillS
04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Hold outs in the NBA because of annual renegotiations? No thanks.