PDA

View Full Version : My view and spoke to Dunleavy Sr.

opiejsimpson
04-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Well this was my first playoff game since the reggie days. Great atmosphere, great game, great experience...except for the bulls fans. Got to the game early, walked into the pavillion and all I see is red. Chants of MVP MVP MVP, PACERS SUCK PACERS SUCK, Etc were heard most of my wait. Bulls fans around me were friendly, spoke about the game and the other three games. The fans gave props, said pacers were a tough team and were going to be good soon. Nice to hear it from others.

Had a great seat, Section 4 row 8 (Thanks Keith) with great view. I thought we played a good game, minus the last few minutes. Roy had a good game, PG played well, Dahntey played good D, Danny hit clutch free throws. We did sealed the game, which is something we couldnt do the last three. We made the plays that needed to be made and finally got a win. Was teasing the Chicago fans about seeing them in Indianapolis for game 6. Some got it others were like "is the next game here?".

Will comment on the fans during the game. Alcohol took over and the decent fans became pricks. When Boomer and the crew threw shirts and those mini balls into the crowd, the bulls fans threw them back. Will give credit to the Ushers for locating them and removing them. Well a Bulls fan a few seats down threw the ball into the court and they removed him. His friend then came down to the other end where other friends were sitting and asked 6 people to move down so he could sit with them. Nobody said anything so I told them sit somewhere else I paid for this seat and am not moving, which made them mad. Get up to get a drink and they refuse to allow me through. Tell me to go around. I physically kicked my way threw. When I returned with my big gulp, they again refused. I again physically began to kick my way through. One stuck his legs out farther. I asked why he was being a prick and told him that if I tripped I might accidently drop my drink on his lap. The usher then came over and yelled at me. Thanks to the people around me who stood up for me and said they were causing problems and would not let people through. The usher warned them and they complied. So I continually went back and forth, politley thanking them each time and how nice they were. I always beat them with kindness. That was the only bad encounter I had. A drunk Bulls fan came up to me outside, but was cool, complementing the Pacers and the way they been playing.

Before I left went to the Best Locker Room. Saw Dunleavy Sr. sitting by himself watching Dallas and Portland. Introduced myself and asked him about coaching again. He said he was interested. Asked him about the possibility of the Pacers job. He said that the Pacers had a coach and he did not like to talk about jobs that are not availible. I asked him about Dunleavy Jr. returning and he stated that he wasnt sure what he would do. Did state that he believes he needs to play more. Said offense moves better. Thinks Danny should play the 4 and guard Noah. Said Bulls would try to take advantage and that would keep the ball away from Rose and that Danny could guard Noah. We spoke about defense. He stated he didnt know why the Bulls let Danny go right so easy. Said that Danny's left hand is weak and that it what the bulls need play. Also said that the bigs need to show on Korvers screens and that they need to force him to catch the ball from his left. Said that he shoots better when he catches it with his right then shoots. Said he wished Zach Randolph did not sign a extension and that Zach would have fit nice with this group. Said another big the pacers should try to get is David West. Asked about Eric Gordon and he stated that he may want to come here in 2012. Said he would be a good fit. Also stated he did not believe the lockout was going to last. Said it believed it would be short term and both sides would agree. Very nice guy, very nice to talk too. Love talking basketball and he did too.

Overall my first playoff game since the Pacers played the Pistons and was a great time.

ilive4sports
04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Danny on Noah? Well thats why he's not coaching anymore... Although he is right about the bigs showing more on the screens for Korver

vnzla81
04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Thinks Danny should play the 4 and guard Noah

No thank you.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Danny on Noah? Well thats why he's not coaching anymore... Although he is right about the bigs showing more on the screens for Korver

I hate Dunleavy SR with a passion basketball wise.

Isaac
04-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Danny on Noah makes me wonder if JOB would have had Posey on Noah. Of course we wouldn't be in the playoffs with JOB so...

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Typical Dunleavy sr talk my son should play more. That guy is terrible as a coach and was even worse as the gm/coach.

Kaufman
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
am i the only one who finds it a little distasteful for the nba basketball coach father of one of the players on the team to be critiquing game strategies? even if just with a common fan. i understand and get advocating for your son, but the rest?? eh. i can't see archie manning doing that.

i might be a bit too critical so its okay to put me in my place if you disagree.

pizza guy
04-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Honestly, how bad is the Danny on Noah idea? I hate putting Danny at 4, but who would you rather have with the ball: Rose or Homeless Jo? And I don't doubt that Danny could do a respectable job on him because he is a limited offensive player. At first, it sounds awful, but if it tricked CHI into running plays for Noah instead of Rose, it might be a good idea.

I may be one of the few, but I also hope Dun, Jr comes back, and wouldn't mind him getting a few more minutes at the expense of Rush. DJones has impressed me lately, and Rush is still pretty much invisible. I agree with Sr, the offense moves better when Jr is in.

And when do we start a petition to give to Eric Gordon via his mom from p4e, to convince him that this Pacers team would be a dynasty with him, and everyone in the state would love him like a fat kid loves cake? I say let's start that petition now.

pizza guy
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
am i the only one who finds it a little distasteful for the nba basketball coach father of one of the players on the team to be critiquing game strategies? even if just with a common fan. i understand and get advocating for your son, but the rest?? eh. i can't see archie manning doing that.

i might be a bit too critical so its okay to put me in my place if you disagree.

On camera, I would agree with you. Off camera, it's just one fan to another, and a special case because this fan has a kid on the team.

King Tuts Tomb
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Is Archie Manning a coach, though? This seems more like a "once a coach, always a coach" situation, offense toward Vogel or Thibodeau.

Isaac
04-24-2011, 12:41 AM

He's not a coach.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Honestly, how bad is the Danny on Noah idea? I hate putting Danny at 4, but who would you rather have with the ball: Rose or Homeless Jo? And I don't doubt that Danny could do a respectable job on him because he is a limited offensive player. At first, it sounds awful, but if it tricked CHI into running plays for Noah instead of Rose, it might be a good idea.

I may be one of the few, but I also hope Dun, Jr comes back, and wouldn't mind him getting a few more minutes at the expense of Rush. DJones has impressed me lately, and Rush is still pretty much invisible. I agree with Sr, the offense moves better when Jr is in.

And when do we start a petition to give to Eric Gordon via his mom from p4e, to convince him that this Pacers team would be a dynasty with him, and everyone in the state would love him like a fat kid loves cake? I say let's start that petition now.

I've tried to get stuff from his mom. She says he loves indy she has said he had some problems with how the Clippers have handled him. She said after getting back from Turkey and playing great a Clippers assit. coach told him he needed to change his shooting form. He didnt like that(his father taugh him how to shoot and ms gordon said he was really mad and said a shooter shouldnt change his form if it works.) but he listened and it ****ed him up and shot 20% from 3pt land first month of the season but got to the hoop a lot more. He switched back and went back up to 40%. Why would you tell a great shooter to change his form? Pacers never told Reggie to change his form. Plus he didnt like how Dunleavy used him. This year she said he was happier but still didnt like how they used him down the stetch in crunch time. She doesnt care where he plays as long has he gets paid.

Trophy
04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
I've tried to get stuff from his mom. She says he loves indy she has said he had some problems with how the Clippers have handled him. She said after getting back from Turkey and playing great a Clippers assit. coach told him he needed to change his shooting form. He didnt like that(his father taugh him how to shoot and ms gordon said he was really mad and said a shooter shouldnt change his form if it works.) but he listened and it ****ed him up and shot 20% from 3pt land first month of the season but got to the hoop a lot more. He switched back and went back up to 40%. Why would you tell a great shooter to change his form? Pacers never told Reggie to change his form. Plus he didnt like how Dunleavy used him. This year she said he was happier but still didnt like how they used him down the stetch in crunch time. She doesnt care where he plays as long has he gets paid.

How do you know the Gordon family so well? I'm just curious.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
How do you know the Gordon family so well? I'm just curious.

His moms my teacher and it is kind of a :bs: class as in a really easy class and i talk to her about b ball a lot. specially during the season we talked about the previous nights game.She dis liked Baron as much as i do:laugh:. I remember after the day he got traded she was really happy.

EDIT

Trophy
04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not surprised he's not a candidate for another head coaching job somewhere else.

He's was pretty terrible with the Clippers.

Trophy
04-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Also, there is nothing wrong with EJ's shooting.

I've watched him more than enough to see shooting is the least of his problems and quite frankly he doesn't have too many.

I think he'd come here and be a solid leader and play his heart out and with pride.

Hopefully we somehow get him.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Also, there is nothing wrong with EJ's shooting.

I've watched him more than enough to see shooting is the least of his problems and quite frankly he doesn't have too many.

I think he'd come here and be a solid leader and play his heart out and with pride.

Hopefully we somehow get him.

Ya thats what made Eric's dad was so mad is because he has always been a great shooter. Back in HS he would have to shoot 30fters and he drained a lot of them.

JB24
04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Danny on Noah isn't a terrible idea in light of today's game. Noah abusing Roy off the dribble was a big part of their comeback.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Danny on Noah isn't a terrible idea in light of today's game. Noah abusing Roy off the dribble was a big part of their comeback.

It would be terrible beacuse Tyler on Deng would be terrible and Roy on Boozer would be a terrible matchup for Roy because he doesnt like to come out and guard big men who can shoot.

graphic-er
04-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Man I could see Danny Guarding Boozer some, I think he would match up size wise. But not Noah. For ****s and giggles, if you did place Danny on Boozer you'd be able to have George and Dante in the game or even George and Dunleavy. We would be incredibility long with those line ups and be able to create alot of miss matches.

JB24
04-24-2011, 01:07 AM
It would be terrible beacuse Tyler on Deng would be terrible and Roy on Boozer would be a terrible matchup for Roy because he doesnt like to come out and guard big men who can shoot.

I'm not saying go to it as a first or second option, but why not try it if Noah is still running rings around Hibbert next game, just to mix things up? Obviously you'd have another wing in place of Hansbrough and preferably Foster in place of Hibbert.

Eleazar
04-24-2011, 02:06 AM
I'm not saying go to it as a first or second option, but why not try it if Noah is still running rings around Hibbert next game, just to mix things up? Obviously you'd have another wing in place of Hansbrough and preferably Foster in place of Hibbert.

I agree it might not be a bad idea to try for a few minutes. It would either end up being a great idea or a bad idea, and that is why we probably won't see it. It is the kind of thing you only do in the regular season or if you are desperate. I think a better idea is to attack the basket and try and draw fouls on Noah and Boozer.

Peck
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Will comment on the fans during the game. Alcohol took over and the decent fans became pricks. When Boomer and the crew threw shirts and those mini balls into the crowd, the bulls fans threw them back. Will give credit to the Ushers for locating them and removing them. Well a Bulls fan a few seats down threw the ball into the court and they removed him. His friend then came down to the other end where other friends were sitting and asked 6 people to move down so he could sit with them. Nobody said anything so I told them sit somewhere else I paid for this seat and am not moving, which made them mad. Get up to get a drink and they refuse to allow me through. Tell me to go around. I physically kicked my way threw. When I returned with my big gulp, they again refused. I again physically began to kick my way through. One stuck his legs out farther. I asked why he was being a prick and told him that if I tripped I might accidently drop my drink on his lap. The usher then came over and yelled at me. Thanks to the people around me who stood up for me and said they were causing problems and would not let people through. The usher warned them and they complied. So I continually went back and forth, politley thanking them each time and how nice they were. I always beat them with kindness. That was the only bad encounter I had. A drunk Bulls fan came up to me outside, but was cool, complementing the Pacers and the way they been playing.

Want to back him up on this story. From our seats we could see everything he is talking about including the ushers initially yelling at him. Glad to see the guys behind him standing up for him.

Your group of fans were part of a group of fans that were sitting right in front of and right behind us. One of thier group got tossed before the tipoff for yelling threats and obscenity's to Foster while he was on the ski machine.

Older guy that was sitting next to my wife about went ape ***** on him and I thought we were going to have an all out brawl right there in section 2.

wintermute
04-24-2011, 06:43 AM

I think the idea is to play Danny at the 4 in a small ball lineup. Danny defends Noah and the other big takes Boozer. Might work because Noah isn't an offensive force. And on the other end neither Boozer nor Noah should be able to defend Granger.

Is it just me or has Vogel completely gone away from playing Granger at the 4? I know Obie overused it at times, but it was effective occasionally. Certainly would be a useful option to have during one of the Pacers' offensive droughts.

indygeezer
04-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Want to back him up on this story. From our seats we could see everything he is talking about including the ushers initially yelling at him. Glad to see the guys behind him standing up for him.

Your group of fans were part of a group of fans that were sitting right in front of and right behind us. One of thier group got tossed before the tipoff for yelling threats and obscenity's to Foster while he was on the ski machine.

Older guy that was sitting next to my wife about went ape ***** on him and I thought we were going to have an all out brawl right there in section 2.

Mrs. Peck brawling? Yea, I could see that. She'd rip her shirt and do a Stepnan Jackson on em, right there.

focused444
04-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I think I'm good with the way the ball is forced to noah after they trap rose coming across half court.

D-BONE
04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Danny on Noah?

Think we have a problem keeping them off the offensive glass now? Wait until you see that matchup!

Danny would have to abuse him on D, assuming they didn't try to switch assignments somehow, to the extent that we actually forced them to match down to us. Even then, not sure how much we gain or lose on it.

If Danny even had Tyler's willingness to mix it up inside, I might feel a little more inclined. Keep in mind, Boozer is not an inept offensive player either. If given the ball in the right position, I think he'd provide decent scoring, and I can't see any situation where you trick the Bulls into Rose not getting enough opportunities.

NapTonius Monk
04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
I met MDS also while coming in through security.

The Jackson shimmy
04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Thibodeau may not be the second coming of Red Auerbach. But I
doubt that he's dumb enough to be duped into taking the ball out
of the hands of his best, offensive player by the Pacers putting
DG on Noah.

owl
04-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Security needs to be ramped up for game 6.

jhondog28
04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I swear that the entire dunleavy family must have pissed in the vnzla and p4eva cheerios. He was not a bad coach. He won coach of the year, took the clippers to the playoffs in lord knows how many years. He also freed up a ton of cap space up for la,

Justin Tyme
04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
I swear that the entire dunleavy family must have pissed in the vnzla and p4eva cheerios. He was not a bad coach. He won coach of the year, took the clippers to the playoffs in lord knows how many years. He also freed up a ton of cap space up for la,

It's called selective memory. My spouse's old dog has a bad case of it. It only remembers what it wants to remember when it's convenient for it to remember. Darn bonehead!

ChristianDudley
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for sharing all this info! I'm gald Mike Sr. was nice to talk to and he didn't brush you off or your questions off. Bulls fans are trash, though. They sound a lot like Lakers fans, actually. I'm glad I don't live in either city so I don't have to associate myself with any of them LOL. GO PACERS!!!