PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest a team has gotten after trailing a series 0-3?

rabid
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
So, I know that no NBA team has ever come back to win a series after trailing 0-3. And I have no illusions about the Pacers' slim chances in Game 5, let alone anything beyond that.

I'm curious though. Has a team ever come back from 0-3 to force a Game 7? (I'm assuming at least one 6 game series has happened but I can't remember one). Where can I find this info?

Come to think of it I can't think of any comebacks from 3-1 in the NBA either but I'd imagine that's happened a few times...

PacerPenguins
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
yes teams have forced a game 7 when down 0-3, but none of those teams have ever won game 7

Shade
04-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Multiple Game 7s have occurred.

Sollozzo
04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Portland forced a game 7 in 2003 against Dallas after trailing 0-3.

cdash
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
We got this. I truly believe we can win this series. I believe in this team.

PacerPassion55
04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
just like cdash said. also, we KNOW we can beat these guys. we have the momentum going into this game, and we will steal game five. and of course, steal the series! game on.

rock747
04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Stealing game 5 would be huge.

KnicksRGarbage
04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
WHY NOT US?!? GO PACERS!!

pacer4ever
04-23-2011, 11:40 PM
if we didnt..............
choked in game one then almost choked today(I almost had a stroke it was so nerve racking). I would agree and i though we had 0% chance before the series started but we have played well. But we just dont finish games well.

LA_Confidential
04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
We have taken leads into the 4th quarter in every game. We have outplayed them in each game. We just need to FINISH THEM! Mortal Kombat Style.

itzryan07
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Vogel made me believe that they can come back and win it. This guy is great, i would be sad if he doesn't get the head coaching job.

Unclebuck
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
We have taken leads into the 4th quarter in every game. We have outplayed them in each game. We just need to FINISH THEM! Mortal Kombat Style.

That is what worries me most. The Bulls are due for a great game and the Pacers are due for a subpar game. That is my fear for game #5

rabid
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I know the odds are heavily against us to even win Game 5...

However...

IF. And it's a big IF. IF we could somehow pull out Game 5, the series gets a lot more interesting. The pressure on the Bulls would increase tenfold, and the Pacers would get that much more confident. And of course they'd be headed back home for a Game 6 that is likely to have many more Pacers fans in attendance (maybe me included if I can somehow get that day off from work).

No matter what I'm super proud of what this team has already accomplished.

Kaufman
04-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Stealing game 5 would be huge.

not only would it be huge, it would be necessary

LA_Confidential
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
That is what worries me most. The Bulls are due for a great game and the Pacers are due for a subpar game. That is my fear for game #5

The Bulls have played 4 great 4th quarters and the Pacers have played 4 subpar 4th quarters which equates to 1 Great Bulls/ 1 Subpar Pacers Game. :laugh:

Seriously though, I know it'll be tough but Im hoping we win game 5 in blowout fashion. We've severely dominated the Bulls we just havent sealed the deal.

Sookie
04-24-2011, 12:06 AM
The interesting thing is we've got a bunch of college kids who are used to the, and have succeeded in, the one game elimination formula.

And this game might have given someone (cough Hibbert Cough) confidence.

Isaac
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Come to think of it I can't think of any comebacks from 3-1 in the NBA either but I'd imagine that's happened a few times...

Off the top of my head I remember one year when TMac was in Orlando playing Detroit they were up 3-1 and TMac said how good it felt to finally reach the second round. Detroit won 3 straight and took the series. TMac never made it to that second round...

@Sookie:
Excellent point. If we somehow manage to come back in this series I think you just nailed what the storyline should be.

itscaleb
04-24-2011, 01:03 AM
If we can somehow manage to steal game 5, which isn't unimaginable given we've been in every game to the last minute in chicago we can come back home and hopefully have a much better fan showing. When you have a young team like the pacers playing with the crowd behind them, given bulls fans don't overrun the place, who knows whats can happen!

croz24
04-24-2011, 01:06 AM
So, I know that no NBA team has ever come back to win a series after trailing 0-3. And I have no illusions about the Pacers' slim chances in Game 5, let alone anything beyond that.

I'm curious though. Has a team ever come back from 0-3 to force a Game 7? (I'm assuming at least one 6 game series has happened but I can't remember one). Where can I find this info?

i know more than just one team has come back from 3-1 but back when tracy mcgrady's orlando magic team was playing the pistons this occured. magic got up 3-1, mcgrady started trash talking the pistons saying the series was over, and then the pistons blew the magic out the rest of the series.

shags
04-24-2011, 01:10 AM
The Bulls have played 4 great 4th quarters and the Pacers have played 4 subpar 4th quarters which equates to 1 Great Bulls/ 1 Subpar Pacers Game. :laugh:

Seriously though, I know it'll be tough but Im hoping we win game 5 in blowout fashion. We've severely dominated the Bulls we just havent sealed the deal.

I looked it up because I was curious. The Pacers have outscored the Bulls by 16 total points in the first 43 minutes of the first 4 games.

They've been outscored by 26 total points (61-35) in the final 5 minutes of the game for the the series.

That's incredible. There's great reason for optimism if you're a Pacer fan that you can win Game 5.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Does anyone know what the total minutes are in terms of how many minutes of this series the Pacers have lead versus how many minutes of this series the Bulls have lead?

We just need to keep the pressure on, the Bulls will give us their best shot of the entire series so far in the first half of game 5, I'm convinced of it. If we can with stand that, we will be right in it to get game 5. It will take an incredible effort, but I do think we can do it.

If we win game 5, I think it will have to be because for once we execute well in a close game. I would be shocked if we got a chance to build a big lead, in all likelihood, I would imagine we'll actually be fighting against the Bulls gaining a big lead on us. If it was tied at the half in game 5, I would be incredibly impressed.

Hopefully this two day rest will give DC some time to rest as he looks completely gassed.

If we do win game 5, I think it will absolutely go 7 games, but that is a HUGE if obviously. However, you start to wonder if you can get this Bulls team to tighten up and keep Rose struggling would it start to open up for you....but we need to take it one step at a time. We have an opportunity, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. The chance to do something amazing is definitely there, we have proven that much, but the odds are still stacked against us. Now we are down 3-1, we don't need to be viewing this as the chance to be the first team to come back from being down 3-0, now we need to view this as the chance to be another team who has come back from being down 3-1.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Agreed, but this has been my fear since game 1 really.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 03:42 AM
The interesting thing is we've got a bunch of college kids who are used to the, and have succeeded in, the one game elimination formula.

And this game might have given someone (cough Hibbert Cough) confidence.

The big wild card right now is if Tyler's jumpshot ever comes back, and if DC ever can get back to 100% in this series. We've essentially played the last 2.5 game with both of them either not on the court or playing terrible basketball.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Bottom line, if it's close after quarter 1 of game 5, I'll believe a lot more, because Chicago is going to come out absolutely looking to blast us.

ilive4sports
04-24-2011, 03:54 AM

Well the Pacers haven't played great. Our defense has been the only great thing. As long as the effort is there, the defense will be fine. As much as you say we are due for a subpar game, I think we are due for a game where our shots are falling too.

Trader Joe
04-24-2011, 03:56 AM
We shot very well in game 1 outside of the last 3 minutes. It would be really nice to have a game like that again, only we actually close it out.

McKeyFan
04-24-2011, 04:10 AM
We have to win game 5 by 15 points. By that, I mean that the calls are going to be so horribly lopsided in favor of the Bulls that we will have to win by 15 in order to win by 1 or 2.

Midcoasted
04-24-2011, 05:24 AM
I have to miss most of the game Tuesday if the reception won't come in on my radio. Still will miss it on my tv, could dvr it, but I hate watching games that aren't live? We gotta get this thing back to Conseco Thursday...When is the last time we won in Chicago? It has to happen sometime right?

I'll be at work I was thinking about making an excuse for an hour to an hour and a half of why I had to be somewhere and run home to watch the second half? Anyone help me out with an excuse? Or just tell my boss straight up how much it means to me and I just need an hour break and the rest of the 8 hour shift is fine?

Kstat
04-24-2011, 05:33 AM
The 1994 #8-seeded Nuggets, after falling down 0-2 and coming back to knock off #1-seed Seattle, got themselves into an 0-3 hole against Utah in round 2, before winning the next 3 games to force a game 7, which they finally lost.

That Nuggets team, despite only lasting two rounds, holds the NBA record for most elimination games won (6-1) in a single postseason.

Frostwolf
04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
holy crap, 6 of 7 elimination games.

Shade
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Only if Rose is unable to play for the rest of the series.

ksuttonjr76
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Where is that written?

Haywoode Workman
04-24-2011, 07:12 PM
didn't the sonics force a game 7 with the bulls in the finals one year after they were down 3-0?

shags
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
didn't the sonics force a game 7 with the bulls in the finals one year after they were down 3-0?

Only Game 6, against 72 win Bulls team in 1996.

Anthem
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Agreed.

But then that was my fear for Game #2, and Game #3, and Game #4.

I feel like Paul Krugman, who's correctly predicted 15 of the last 3 recessions.

Unclebuck
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know what the total minutes are in terms of how many minutes of this series the Pacers have lead versus how many minutes of this series the Bulls have lead?

I don't know, but I know we lead the entire game #4, and most of game #1. game #3 was probably 50/50, I think game #2 which for some reason I don't remember much of I think the Bulls probably lead 60-70% of the time.

So the pacers have probably led approximately 65% of the time. Although up until game #4 niether team has had a substantial lead

naptownmenace
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know, but I know we lead the entire game #4, and most of game #1. game #3 was probably 50/50, I think game #2 which for some reason I don't remember much of I think the Bulls probably lead 60-70% of the time.

So the pacers have probably led approximately 65% of the time. Although up until game #4 niether team has had a substantial lead

The Pacers led in game 1 the entire way until Korver hit that 3-pointer at the 38 second mark. The Pacers have also lead by at least 5 points in the final 5 minutes of all 4 games.

tfarks
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Seems some in here have a case of Gambler's Fallacy.

The Bulls aren't "due" anything.

Kstat
04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
For the record, the two times I can recall that a team has recovered from 0-3 (I wasn't alive in 1951 and dammit I have no game tape), it was due to a dominant big man.

in 1994, it was Mutombo that drove Denver to game 7. In 2003, it was a last-resort starter by the name of Zach Randolph that went from averaging 5 points and 4 rebounds in games 1-3 to 23 and 11 in games 4-6.

Whiskeyjim
04-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Stealing game 5 would be huge.The psychology of game 5 is actually freeing for the Pacers. They are no longer expected to win the series.

Therefore the approach to game 5 is to only concentrate on that one game, and play as well as they can. IOW, they are now freed from the pressure of the series and can concentrate on the work at hand.

Well the Pacers haven't played great. Our defense has been the only great thing. As long as the effort is there, the defense will be fine. As much as you say we are due for a subpar game, I think we are due for a game where our shots are falling too.And this is the very large card that the Pacers have yet to play.

Much as been made of Hansbrough's terrible shooting record, including me. But the fact of the matter is that competent foul shooting alone would have won at least 2 of the games. In addition, other players' shooting has also been less than stellar; and many of them have been open looks.

I suggest a more freely substituted game to keep players fresh, hungry and intense, along with a less pressured attitude could easily translate to a win in game 5. Worry about game 6 later.

If I was Vogel, that is squarely where I would be coming from.