PDA

View Full Version : Fiesty Foster

ColeTheMole
04-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Your rebounding, toughness, defense and basketball IQ is so valuable to the team. It will be horribly tough trying to replace someone with your skill set. You complete this team Jeff. You are one of the keys to this series. I love you.

Trader Joe
04-23-2011, 07:54 PM
He's amazing how much he has turned it up this series. His pick to open Price up for a three at the start of the 4th quarter made angels sing and Dale Davis weep.

DemonHunter1105
04-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Whenever he retires can we just have him be our big man coach? He is mainly so productive because he knows how to play defense and put himself in the best situation to win loose balls/rebounds. Which is exactly what we need to teach the rest of our big guys.

ilive4sports
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Foster is just a great guy to have on the team. If he needs to make a play, he does. His offensive boards today were huge. You guys see Derrick Rose avoid going at him? I did a few times.

Trader Joe
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
What it really is, that doesn't get discussed much, is that it's not even the fiestiness or the effort, he's just flat out smart when it comes to position than everyone else. His decision as he was fighting for that ball to just unleash a right hook on it to send it to the back court was brilliant.

IndyHoya
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Your rebounding, toughness, defense and basketball IQ is so valuable to the team. It will be horribly tough trying to replace someone with your skill set. You complete this team Jeff. You are one of the keys to this series. I love you.

I got a big kick out of the Bulls people booing him. It didn't bother Foster a bit. How they can think Foster's a thug when they have Carlos Boozer on their squad is a testament to how being a fan can blind you to reality. Hearing the boos for Foster from the sea of red was one of the highlights of the game for me. I absolutely loved it.

Trader Joe
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Like Reggie said IH,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rVOVRv1WL.jpg

ilive4sports
04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
What it really is, that doesn't get discussed much, is that it's not even the fiestiness or the effort, he's just flat out smart when it comes to position than everyone else. His decision as he was fighting for that ball to just unleash a right hook on it to send it to the back court was brilliant.

Which is why I would love him to coach Hibbert, Hans and McBob.

xIndyFan
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM

i'll bet 30-40% of his rebound are those tip out kind.

wish his rebounding skill was something you could teach. he seems to start rebounding just before the shot is taken. :laugh:

BornReady
04-23-2011, 08:10 PM
I really hope they retire his jersey when he does retire.

speakout4
04-23-2011, 08:32 PM
We just have to bring him back, bad back and all.

IndyHoya
04-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Foster had 9 rebounds. 7 of them were offensive. Amazing stat.

Roy had 10, 4 offensive. Nice work too.

CableKC
04-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Foster is just a great guy to have on the team. If he needs to make a play, he does. His offensive boards today were huge. You guys see Derrick Rose avoid going at him? I did a few times.
Imagine that....DRose avoiding a Big Man that DOES NOT block shots. It's cuz DRose knows that Foster doesn't care who he is, doesn't care that he'll draw the foul and most of all....that Foster isn't afraid of DRose driving the paint.

Foster is the Pacer's Wall....he is the Enforcer.

Unclebuck
04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah the Bulls fans hate Foster.

Not sure how many times Foster was able to tip the ball to a teammate that allowed us to get the offensive rebound, it seemed like 5 or 6 times

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah the Bulls fans hate Foster.

Not sure how many times Foster was able to tip the ball to a teammate that allowed us to get the offensive rebound, it seemed like 5 or 6 times

Foster looked like a volleyball player today when he jumped up and batted the ball back several times.

I loved it. :D

D-BONE
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Foster is Godhead.

Trophy
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Jeff is kind of a one and only.

To think after 12 years of him being a Pacer only, he's probably not returning and possibly calling it a career.

Yeah we'll find a backup, but not one who is going to rely heavily on doing the little things to help the team out like Jeff does.

Sollozzo
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I really hope they retire his jersey when he does retire.

I really hope you're kidding. I love Foster and appreciate what he has done this series and the past 12 years in general, but you've got to be joking with this.

Will Galen
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Jeff is kind of a one and only.

To think after 12 years of him being a Pacer only, he's probably not returning and possibly calling it a career.

Yeah we'll find a backup, but not one who is going to rely heavily on doing the little things to help the team out like Jeff does.

I read a while back (Start of the season?) where he wants to play a couple more years. I'd like him back as the 5th big off the bench.

Lord Helmet
04-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Foster was key in today's win. I can't count how many times we got extra possessions thanks to him tipping the ball back out behind the 3 point arch.

Hoop
04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
I'll admit it, I thought Foster was done early this season, I was wrong. He has been amazing in the playoffs.

Even with the Vogel's outstanding youth movement, Foster too, played better under Vogel, more his style of play.

Maybe he'll come back for another season.

Midcoasted
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I will eat my crow Jeff, you've been brilliant against the best regular season team in the NBA. I called you done at the start of the season, and I was wrong. Jeff Foster just earned another deal with us if you ask me. Hopefully he will take a one year, 4 million offer the next couple. Keeps him hungry fighting for next year and we have a legitimate backup center for two more years behind Roy.

I think 15 other teams in the playoffs are kicking themselves in the *** for not making a move for him before the deadline. Or maybe Jeff has always been untouchable to the FO. All I know is there isn't one team in the playoffs that couldn't use his talents this year in the playoffs.

joeyd
04-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Foster had 9 rebounds. 7 of them were offensive. Amazing stat. Roy had 10, 4 offensive. Nice work too.

If you hadn't mentioned this, I was going to. This, in 16 minutes of work. Roy of course had a very good game himself rebounding, but his effort came in twice the time, which makes Jeff's board totals even more impressive. He had almost half of our ORBs, and in this game, the ORBs made the difference, as we matched the Bulls finally in this key stat.

Check out the pics on Pacers.com for Game 4. There's a great one that shows both Noah and probably Deng holding Foster back from grabbing a rebound off a foul shot. The picture speaks louder than words.

joeyd
04-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I really hope you're kidding. I love Foster and appreciate what he has done this series and the past 12 years in general, but you've got to be joking with this.

Born Ready said he "hoped" they retired his jersey. This has been debated many times in previous threads; he wasn't debating the issue here. While I realize that you might have a legit case for thinking he's joking about it, I'm not sure why someone always feels that they need to rain on someone else's parade all the time.

Heisenberg
04-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Jeff was on the "One on One" segment with Mark Montieth yesterday. Haven't gotten a chance to listen yet but it's a nice long 45 minutes sure to be full of good nuggets.

Link to mp3 (http://media.1070thefan.com/Podcasts/1274/Foster.mp3)

rexnom
04-25-2011, 08:01 AM
We don't win game 4 without Jeff. And I thought he outplayed Roy in game 3 and arguably game 2 as well.

thefeistyone
04-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Given my name, I'll show my appreciation for the man too.

He looked like he did 5 years ago in game 4.

People seldom appreciate the people that do all the dirty work

PR07
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
He might be the heart and soul of the team. As long as he wants to keep playing and can hold up, I'd love to keep him because he's a very good backup center in this league and has been for a long time.

I don't know if he'll get his jersey retired, but if there was a "ring of honor", he should be in it.

Pacerized
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Jeff has been my favorite Pacer since Reggie retired. He plays the brand of basketball I like with all out effort. It seems like people have been calling for Foster's demise since he first became a starter. Even some of those who appreciate hard nose basketball couldn't get over the fact that he was never going to be Dale Davis. Foster has proven what I argued at the start of the season. He still has a lot left to give. We don't need a backup center when we have a great veteran backup like Jeff. That's not to say that I don't think we need another big man. I hope we can sign Jeff to a 2-3 year contract at a reasonable price so he can retire a Pacer.

joeyd
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Jeff has been my favorite Pacer since Reggie retired. He plays the brand of basketball I like with all out effort. It seems like people have been calling for Foster's demise since he first became a starter. Even some of those who appreciate hard nose basketball couldn't get over the fact that he was never going to be Dale Davis. Foster has proven what I argued at the start of the season. He still has a lot left to give. We don't need a backup center when we have a great veteran backup like Jeff. That's not to say that I don't think we need another big man. I hope we can sign Jeff to a 2-3 year contract at a reasonable price so he can retire a Pacer.

Amen to that, brother. Most of the trash talking that went on in my section during game 4 involved, in one way or another, Foster. Most of the snide comments directed at us at Circle Center Mall and while waiting to get into Conseco before the game were about Foster and our support of him (my daughter was wearing his jersey). They were not talking about Danny. They were not talking about Roy or Paul or Tyler. They were talking about the best Enforcer we have. You know when the opposing fans are ragging on a player like they were about Jeff, that player is getting under their skin. Jeff Foster is...THE ENFORCER!

CableKC
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Amen to that, brother. Most of the trash talking that went on in my section during game 4 involved, in one way or another, Foster. Most of the snide comments directed at us at Circle Center Mall and while waiting to get into Conseco before the game were about Foster and our support of him (my daughter was wearing his jersey). They were not talking about Danny. They were not talking about Roy or Paul or Tyler. They were talking about the best Enforcer we have. You know when the opposing fans are ragging on a player like they were about Jeff, that player is getting under their skin. Jeff Foster is...THE ENFORCER!
I agree here....after the DRose stare down....Foster is no longer Fiesty...the title of this thread should be changed to "Foster, the Enforcer".

joeyd
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeff was on the "One on One" segment with Mark Montieth yesterday. Haven't gotten a chance to listen yet but it's a nice long 45 minutes sure to be full of good nuggets.
Link to mp3 (http://media.1070thefan.com/Podcasts/1274/Foster.mp3)

Thanks for the heads-up about this segment. Just listened to it and there was much I didn't know about Jeff. Interesting that his dad never played any organized ball, but is in his 60's and still plays twice a week. Gives hope to us b-ball-loving height-challenged guys that still like to play the game.

CableKC
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the heads-up about this segment. Just listened to it and there was much I didn't know about Jeff. Interesting that his dad never played any organized ball, but is in his 60's and still plays twice a week. Gives hope to us b-ball-loving height-challenged guys that still like to play the game.
Did he say anything else about game 4...especially the "stare down"?

joeyd
04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Did he say anything else about game 4...especially the "stare down"?

They replayed some clips from when he delivered a couple of nice fouls, but he didn't mention anything about the "stare down."

He did say that he is 99% sure about playing next year, feels good, and would prefer to stay in Indiana, saying that he knows that he might not fit into the plans next year depending on what happens with the team and the coach, but that he really hadn't thought about him being elsewhere, even with San Antonio. He hopes to have a role with the franchise when he eventually retires.

BillS
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I can't imagine that a veteran big man who is willing to throw his body into the fray isn't in EVERY franchise's plans. The question is who is willing to pay for the skills and abilities Foster can still bring at this stage of his career.

I really, really want him back, but we shouldn't outbid someone for him or give him anything other than a 3rd-big-man contract.

joeyd
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I can't imagine that a veteran big man who is willing to throw his body into the fray isn't in EVERY franchise's plans. The question is who is willing to pay for the skills and abilities Foster can still bring at this stage of his career.

I really, really want him back, but we shouldn't outbid someone for him or give him anything other than a 3rd-big-man contract.

I'm not worried about someone outbidding us. Foster is a loyal guy, and probably would take less money to stay. But having said this, the offer cannot or should not be insulting. Had his production significantly dropped, then yes, I could see a case for offering the league minimum to have him as a third big but still derive the maximal other benefits he brings to the court and locker room. But...he has outplayed Roy in most of the games I have seen this season, especially when you extrapolate his minutes to those of Roy. So to me, when he is playing at that level, often better than your first big man, it would not be appropriate to reduce him salary-wise to the stature of someone like Solo.

CableKC
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
They replayed some clips from when he delivered a couple of nice fouls, but he didn't mention anything about the "stare down."

He did say that he is 99% sure about playing next year, feels good, and would prefer to stay in Indiana, saying that he knows that he might not fit into the plans next year depending on what happens with the team and the coach, but that he really hadn't thought about him being elsewhere, even with San Antonio. He hopes to have a role with the franchise when he eventually retires.
It's funny that Foster doesn't think that he'd fit in.....he doesn't realize that he's the type of Player that fits into ANY Coaches system...whether it be Vogel, Mike Brown or even Rick Adelman.

CableKC
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM

what is the going rate for a 3rd Big Man contract ( which I assume is the role that Solo plays right now )?

I'd be willing to pay a little bit more ( even if it's considered "slightly overpaying" ) then whatever qualifies as "a 3rd Big Man" contract. I'm not saying pay him "backup Center" $$$$....I'm saying something inbetween.

IUfan4life
04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm friends with one of Jeff's cousins, and word around the family was that he was going to retire at the end of last year. But he came back this year. So here's to another 10 years of Jeff Foster being an Indiana Pacer.