PDA

View Full Version : OT: Call me retarded, but I just figured it out

Eindar
10-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Ever since the Detroit series, the Indystar boards have been littered with Pistons trolls. I wasn't worried, because the boards have had trolls before, and after a few stupid posts, the moderator/admin has always banned them. Yes, they make new screen names, but they get tired of it eventually, and leave.

However, as I was looking to report a post by poster upubdatazone (the worst of the bunch), I found in the FAQ that the only board that is moderated is the stupid Feedback forum. Have they lost their mind? Don't they realize that most internet message boards need moderation in order to thrive? I forsee disaster in the future, unless they get a mod. Seems like you could pay one guy $25,000 to be the mod for all the boards, or even ask for volunteers from each respective board.

bleh.

SkipperZ
10-06-2004, 04:22 PM
thats why I stopped going to the indystar boards... i do go back and check every once in awhile, but everytime i go back there are more trolls than before.

SkipperZ
10-06-2004, 04:24 PM
and seriously, if i were to judge all piston fans or people from detroit by the posters on indystar, I would not have a very good opinion of them.

those idiots need help, and give other piston fans a bad name. its tru that everyteam has idiot fans like them but they dont usually hang around and troll for SOooOO long.

Hicks
10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Seems like you could pay one guy $25,000

:spitout:

Wanna give me some of that cash? :o I'm here all the time.

Lord Helmet
10-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Yea those trolls are pathetic lifeless people.And the IS needs a mod.The trolls are why we are at Pacersdigest which (IMO is the best Pacer board).

Eindar
10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
I really don't think we need an Indystar bashing thread.

I'm not bashing, just stating an opinion. They obviously are entitled to their own opinion, but I'm guessing somebody at IS made an executive decision to cut costs in the forums department by having the webmaster devote only enough time to those boards to keep it running and moderate the one (lightly used) forum.

Obviously, I think it's a mistake.

I've only ever seen 1 board run with no moderation, and even then, it only lasted that way for a year or so before it all came to a crashing halt (owner of the board got fired from his job IRL, long story). Boards need mods to keep it from degenerating into a resort for tards. You can say that if people ignore the trolls, they will go away, but:

A.) It only takes 1 or 2 responses for the troll to get their kicks enough to keep doing it, so almost every thread is worthwhile to them.

B.) putting them on ignore doesn't keep them from clogging the boards with garbage. It also doesn't keep them from doing stuff like bumping old topics to keep all the relevant info off the main page.

Also, the $25,000 was just a figure, I'm sure you could probably get someone to come in for as little as 18 grand if it was on an at-home basis and they didn't have to mod during their other job, but regardless, it seems to me that it wouldn't take a ton of cash to get someone to come in and either mod all the boards or to coordinate the creation of volunteer mods. You could put them in the IT department, so they could report to that manager, so that they aren't just slacking off and getting paid. It's a pretty simple and cheap fix, but IS seems to think that they can get away with no mods.

Boards need mods like fish need water. Especially when the topic of the boards is something as inflammatory as sports or politics.

Hicks
10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Who locked it?

I don't think it was.

MSA2CF
10-07-2004, 04:52 PM
My name is Spaghetti.

:lol2: