PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the Chat

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
The chat idea is a good idea, but poorly executed. I don't know if you guys created your own code or if you used a template, but it doesn't work well. There has to be something better out there than what was used for this chat.

ECKrueger
04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. I thought it worked fine.

ljweaves
04-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I couldn't find the chat. I clicked on the link but it just took me to a page full of smiley faces. :confused:

focused444
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
The chat idea is a good idea, but poorly executed. I don't know if you guys created your own code or if you used a template, but it doesn't work well. There has to be something better out there than what was used for this chat.

you're gonna have to be more specific because it's smooth for me.

idioteque
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I liked it. I don't know if you would need it for the regular season but its great for the playoffs.

flox
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
There was some lag on my end with the chat.

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
It was really slow, instead of each post coming up as they were entered it would be 4 or 5 at a time, and there were times where it just seemed stuck as there was nothing coming through for long periods of time.

Functionally it works, but it doesn't work as well as it should.

ilive4sports
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
It worked fine for me

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I think is hard to read the comments, the screen also moves down when you post.

TMJ31
04-23-2011, 05:36 PM
It worked fine for me... Obviously it wasn't truly "real time".

There was an update every few seconds and a big chunk of updates would post simultaneously.

Personally I think it's cool, BUT I do always enjoy reading through the game threads after the games (I don't actively sit on PD during games, I just pipe in quick during time outs)

So for someone like me without a laptop in front of the television, I miss out on the comments during the game since the game thread isn't there.

It was neat though.

flox
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
yes the chunkyness is a slight problem.

ksuttonjr76
04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
It worked fine for me... Obviously it wasn't truly "real time".

There was an update every few seconds and a big chunk of updates would post simultaneously.

Personally I think it's cool, BUT I do always enjoy reading through the game threads after the games (I don't actively sit on PD during games, I just pipe in quick during time outs)

So for someone like me without a laptop in front of the television, I miss out on the comments during the game since the game thread isn't there.

It was neat though.

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't watch the game today due to work, and I was planning on reading the game thread later tonight.

maragin
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't like locking down the game thread for the chat.

Game threads are a staple of PD. I check in now and again (without having to log in) to see shared reactions from fellow fans. I've read through them the day after a game just to get a feel for how the game went, usually looking for specific spots (Huge block, game winner).

Will the chat log be accessible later? The last 3 playoff games I've gone back and viewed the chats from ESPN's Live Dime chat to see what the world is saying about our gritty games against the Bulls.

The chat is an interesting idea. It's bad for lurkers and casual visitors. I was disappointed in the twitter-like limit for comments. I think it has benefits for creating a more robust sense of community for fans.

I'm pro chat, but not if it means removing/locking/limiting game threads.

immortality
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Yea I will say it was laggy and difficult to see if anyone was responding to my replies, kind of hard to follow the conversation, unless you read all of it in bulk.

DEEman
04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I also would like to see the time beside what someone chats. Easier to get an idear about wich action someone was talking about.

PR07
04-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I honestly like the game threads more. There's better conversation.

In the game chats, it's more just making comments like "nice play", whereas in the game thread, you can actually analyze and discuss things in detail.

Dr. Hibbert
04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
You just have to be careful about watching the chat more than the game. Some folks are watching in standard def, some in hi def, so there is a lag between the broadcasts and, for HD viewers, potential spoilers.

pacerwaala
04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
It was really slow, instead of each post coming up as they were entered it would be 4 or 5 at a time, and there were times where it just seemed stuck as there was nothing coming through for long periods of time.

Agree with this assesment. "ABLE" used to have one chat application on this forum 5-6 years ago, it used to work real well. We used it right here on pacersdigest. Maybe he can comment in this thread.

Hicks
04-24-2011, 12:46 AM
The comments posted in the chat are archived. It's accessed from the drop down menu on the top left of the chat.

I will add time stamps back to comments.

New comments are set to show every X seconds. I'll play around and see if it still runs well with a lower number.

The character limit is adjustable. Right now, it's 255 (twitter is 144, I think?). I can go up if need be.

Ultimately, this is being done because heavy-traffic game threads are a serious drain on the server, which is bad for everyone, and this is a way to allow folks to comment on the game without that becoming an issue.

When you have X posters refreshing Y pages (complete with all the usual details, images, smilies, avatars, etc.) Z times every N seconds, it adds a ton of stress to the server/forum.

I'll keep trying to make it better.

I'm also open to other chats than the one we're using; but I need to know why it's better, and how much it will cost.

pacer4ever
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
The comments posted in the chat are archived. It's accessed from the drop down menu on the top left of the chat.

I will add time stamps back to comments.

New comments are set to show every X seconds. I'll play around and see if it still runs well with a lower number.

The character limit is adjustable. Right now, it's 255 (twitter is 144, I think?). I can go up if need be.

Ultimately, this is being done because heavy-traffic game threads are a serious drain on the server, which is bad for everyone, and this is a way to allow folks to comment on the game without that becoming an issue.

When you have X posters refreshing Y pages (complete with all the usual details, images, smilies, avatars, etc.) Z times every N seconds, it adds a ton of stress to the server/forum.

I'll keep trying to make it better.

I'm also open to other chats than the one we're using; but I need to know why it's better, and how much it will cost.

I have an idea. We could have a wall kind of like face book has for our personal page. We could then posted messages on that persons page and have a back and fourth convo. I've seen it on a few fourms pretty cool gadget.

spazzxb
04-24-2011, 01:33 AM
I couldn't find the chat. I clicked on the link but it just took me to a page full of smiley faces. :confused:

I think you needed 10 post to get in. that would happen if you weren't logged in as well.

mattie
04-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Make sure you're using Google Chrome. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the problem is that you're using IE.

Eleazar
04-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Make sure you're using Google Chrome. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the problem is that you're using IE.

Haha, me using IE is like a drug addict using tobacco. I only use the very best in internet browsers Firefox and Opera.

mattie
04-24-2011, 04:51 AM
lol ok just making sure. I've seen plenty of people complain on the internet about a website not working right, yet laughably they're using IE.

ilive4sports
04-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Haha, me using IE is like a drug addict using tobacco. I only use the very best in internet browsers Firefox and Opera.

How can you not include Chrome in there? I will never use Firefox again because of how awesome chrome is.

Eleazar
04-24-2011, 04:54 AM
How can you not include Chrome in there? I will never use Firefox again because of how awesome chrome is.

Tried it wasn't any faster than Firefox, and didn't offer anything to make itself better in any other way. I only mentioned Opera because not a lot of people know about it.

HickeyS2000
04-25-2011, 04:30 PM

I'm a web developer, and I think you should check out some Ajax plugins for vBulletin. They will allows posts to show up on the page without having to refresh the entire page, taking strain off the server. Message me if you would like more details.

HickeyS2000
04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I only use the very best in internet browsers Firefox and Opera.

:picardriker:

able
04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
abel@able-towers.com get me some options and i can make it work in time for the next game