PDA

View Full Version : Where was paul george

IUfan4life
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
this was a constant question in the chat. Where in the world was paul george

IUfan4life
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Didn't play the entire 4th. Never even mentioned on the broadcast either. WTF happened

gummy
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't know. Curious that he didn't play in the 4th.

Honestly, I only care a little bit about this because we won!

troyc11a
04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Didn't play the entire 4th. Never even mentioned on the broadcast either. WTF happened

They may have been afraid that Paul would have turned the ball over or got a couple shot clock violations had he been in (lol).

zxc
04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Seemed to be up and about in the huddles in time outs, guess coach just thought was best to stick with Jones. Not sure why though, PG seemed to be playing fine.

PR07
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
We'll probably hear how Vogel "liked Dahntay's experience" in that situation. However, seeing as how it's highly unlikely we are coming back to win this series down 3-0, you'd rather have PG get some experience now...otherwise, what's the point of being here.

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe they wanted to keep the vets in to finish the game. I'm not really sure though.

It didn't seem to help, and I would have put him back in during that late run.

Who cares though, WE WON!!!

LoneGranger33
04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
It was inexcusable. He is our best defender and has the most length. He should be in the game.

Shade
04-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

PacerPride33
great ?

ilive4sports
Most likely what has been said, Jones is the veteran, has the experience.

not sure if I agree though

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 05:37 PM
George was on fire today, and other than that early shot clock violation had been playing better than anyone on the floor. Screw experience, play the best player on the floor.

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I think Vogel was trying to trow something different at Rose.

rexnom
04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I think what happened was that Vogel wanted to bring PG in but wanted DJ's experience to beat back the tide. He was probably afraid of PG's inexperience if the Bulls made a run. By the end it was too late to bring him in. It's not like Rose was killing us offensively-DJ played a great 4th quarter. Is PG enough of a better passer and ball handler at this point to risk it? Probably not. The turnovers by DC and McBob killed us, not DJ.

xIndyFan
04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
my guess is vogel wanted more pressure on rose. dahntay has been pressuring rose and paul has been sagging off more denying the drive. two different styles. guess vogel wanted to be more in rose's face. especially if his ankle was bothering him, that seems a good idea.

cdash
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
I was wondering about this too.

Bird Fan
04-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Surprised we didn't see PG after the chucked 3 and foul by Dahntay. He sure used his experience on that one.

DemonHunter1105
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I wanted to see Paul more too because I felt like he was playing good on offense for once in addition to his stellar D.

But I really was not too upset because Dahntay was playing very good D on Rose IMO. Maybe Vogel will let the leash off in game 5!

Mr_Smith
04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Who cares?!?!?!?! Pacers win! On to game 5 in Chicago

brewpopps
04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Going with experience in that situation can only light the fire under PG. The guy had to learn from his seat on the bench and will only gain from that vantage point. If he didn't learn from that sitting, he will sit more, I am certain, and the Pacers don't need someone who does not learn from it.
Pacers won, and looking ahead this is only a positive.

Trader Joe
04-23-2011, 08:05 PM
A questionable decision sure. If I had to guess, I'd say it was actually probably because Dahntay was more aggressive on offense.

King Tuts Tomb
04-23-2011, 08:19 PM
A questionable decision sure. If I had to guess, I'd say it was actually probably because Dahntay was more aggressive on offense.

Gotta be this. A lot of people on this board have already anointed George the next great super star but I've yet to see him create a shot for himself this entire series. He has to tighten the dribble and work on some moves if he wants to take it to the next level.

BlueNGold
04-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Vogel knew there would be a strong push at the end by the Bulls and wanted a more mature and experienced player in the game to deal with it. This is the situation where that kind of thing can help. I think we still got burned by lack of experience simply because Collison, McBob, heck most of the team is young.

BlueNGold
04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Gotta be this. A lot of people on this board have already anointed George the next great super star but I've yet to see him create a shot for himself this entire series. He has to tighten the dribble and work on some moves if he wants to take it to the next level.

George hasn't scored much but I distinctly remember him in the last game start driving to the bucket, stop on a dime and drain a turnaround midrange shot. It was an unguardable shot and an example of how he will play. Honestly, I see Vince Carter with great defense when I watch Paul.

Compare him to young Granger. George is a more skilled player. He simply is more gifted athletically...he defends at a much, much higher level...as a rookie, he rebounds better...his court awareness is easily as good as Danny's now if not better. It's just a matter of time before the Pacers are going to hand him the keys to the mansion.

King Tuts Tomb
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
George hasn't scored much but I distinctly remember him in the last game start driving to the bucket, stop on a dime and drain a turnaround midrange shot. It was an unguardable shot and an example of how he will play. Honestly, I see Vince Carter with great defense when I watch Paul.

Compare him to young Granger. George is a more skilled player. He simply is more gifted athletically...he defends at a much, much higher level...as a rookie, he rebounds better...his court awareness is easily as good as Danny's now if not better. It's just a matter of time before the Pacers are going to hand him the keys to the mansion.

Also worth remember that Granger was 22/23 his rookie year and had played four years of college basketball. George is 19, played on year in college and is already playing high level defense in the playoffs. I'm a big PG booster and I have to keep reminding myself that there's still work to do.

Cactus Jax
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Some people forget how great of a defender Granger was when he was a rookie and under Carlisle in general. George is showing great signs now but all it takes is the wrong coach or situation and he could fall into the same trap as Granger did.

Granger will still be the best player on the Pacers next year unless they trade him for another player most likely unless an absolute superstar comes. George needs a year of around 15 ppg before he can be annoited leader of the team. I don't George is going to come out next year and suddenly be a 20 ppg+ scorer but I'll be glad to eat crow if he does.

As for the game, I think it was just the fact that when George was supposed to come back in Chicago started coming back, so Vogel stayed with Dhantay.

ilive4sports
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Some people forget how great of a defender Granger was when he was a rookie and under Carlisle in general. George is showing great signs now but all it takes is the wrong coach or situation and he could fall into the same trap as Granger did.

Granger will still be the best player on the Pacers next year unless they trade him for another player most likely unless an absolute superstar comes. George needs a year of around 15 ppg before he can be annoited leader of the team. I don't George is going to come out next year and suddenly be a 20 ppg+ scorer but I'll be glad to eat crow if he does.

As for the game, I think it was just the fact that when George was supposed to come back in Chicago started coming back, so Vogel stayed with Dhantay.

Granger stopped playing defense because he had to carry the offense. As long as Danny is here, George wont have to carry the defense like Granger did. He will be able to play great defense and just let the offense come to him.

BlueNGold
04-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Granger stopped playing defense because he had to carry the offense. As long as Danny is here, George wont have to carry the defense like Granger did. He will be able to play great defense and just let the offense come to him.

There may be some truth to the fact Danny's D suffers because of the load he takes on offense. However, I don't think Danny's D was this good and I know he didn't play the passing lanes as well nor did Danny steal with such frequency. Also, Paul is two years younger than Danny when he entered the league...and Paul is a starter in the playoffs already. Paul also appears to have a knack for rebounding the ball even with his underdeveloped 20 year old body. Paul's scoring average is also slightly higher in less minutes as a rookie....points often scored against starters not backups.

While their stats are arguably similar as rookies, as usual the stats don't tell the whole story. The simple truth is that Danny is not nearly as quick nor is he that athletic. Also, if anything Paul has greater awareness, passing skills, basketball IQ and intangibles.

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, while people were saying Danny's defense was going to be one of his strengths no one was saying anything about him being a lock down all-defensive 1st or 2nd team type defender. People thought that he would probably be able to contain a player like LeBron to slightly less than his average, but not completely disrupt (and arguably stop) his game like George has done to Rose. George is already a better defender than Granger was his rookie season. In all seriousness Granger is completely capable of doing what people thought he would be able to do. He is capable of containing LeBron when he puts his mind to it. He isn't going to stop LeBron, but he is capable of keeping LeBron from going off for 30+ points purely because of his defense.

pacer4ever
04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Playing Paul only 3mins in the second qter was a mistake i though and in the 4th he should had played more.

Sookie
04-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Playing Paul only 3mins in the second qter was a mistake i though and in the 4th he should had played more.

I prefer PG. I prefer his defense and offense over Dahntay. Especially with how he was playing. IMO, Vogel's biggest mistake of the series was PG's limited time today. I think PG's length..and the fact that he can keep up with Rose, speed wise, really bothers Rose.

opiejsimpson
04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
PG and DJ defense is a little different. PG plays the passing lanes. Is longer and quicker to guard rose. However I dont believe PG is has physical as DJ. Think Vogel thought DJ was being physical with Rose and he preferred that then just playing him straight up. Do like DJ denying Rose the ball. Gets the shot clock down a little before they set up there play. Like Rush on Korver too. Do think DC and AJ fought threw the screens betters. Seemed last game they were watching the ball a lot allowing Korver to break free.

Hicks
04-24-2011, 01:50 AM

You didn't watch the first quarter?

ilive4sports
04-24-2011, 02:11 AM

Did the game get spoiled for you?

King Tuts Tomb
04-24-2011, 02:20 AM

I did. I can't remember him really creating a shot off the dribble. He had the three off the pass from Danny, the dunk off the steal from Rose and I think another lay-up (can't remember if it was off a pass or whether he started with the ball). Getting to the rim off the dribble is great and George has shown he has a talent for it. I'm more hoping he can start getting off a mid-range shot without being sprung from a pick.

He hasn't shown the ability to gather the dribble, jump and shoot with a defender on him. I don't doubt he has the ability do it and it's probably more a matter of adjusting to the speed and size of NBA defenders. It's the one elite skill Granger has and it's why he's consistently been the best player on the team.

righteouscool
04-24-2011, 04:32 AM
I did. I can't remember him really creating a shot off the dribble. He had the three off the pass from Danny, the dunk off the steal from Rose and I think another lay-up (can't remember if it was off a pass or whether he started with the ball). Getting to the rim off the dribble is great and George has shown he has a talent for it. I'm more hoping he can start getting off a mid-range shot without being sprung from a pick.

He hasn't shown the ability to gather the dribble, jump and shoot with a defender on him. I don't doubt he has the ability do it and it's probably more a matter of adjusting to the speed and size of NBA defenders. It's the one elite skill Granger has and it's why he's consistently been the best player on the team.

Actually, his other 2 pts came from a drive and step back jumper. I can't rememeber who was guarding him, but it was a killer step back to get completely open from midrange. He is killer from midrange and during the regular season did that kind of thing regularly.

George needs to learn to finish at the rim, get better handles, and get a more consistent 3 pt shot. With his shooting stroke he should be a 40% shooter from 3, which will open driving lanes. Eventually his layups that bounce out will be dunks.