PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to be a coach?

Will Galen
10-06-2004, 03:35 PM
After reading Bruno's mailbag today I wondered how many of us would like to coach.

Roy Munson
10-06-2004, 03:37 PM
In a heartbeat.

I'd like the paycheck, too.

Will Galen
10-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I don't know what happened to the no. I can't edit the poll, so just answer what you want.

ROCislandWarrior
10-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I coach 7th and 8th grade boys.

Me and a buddy do it. Since we are only 19, we just have a blast with those kids. It is more fun than you could ever imagine.

The hardest part of coaching them is they don't know where to draw the line when we are having fun. Things get real interesting and real expensive quick:laugh:

ShadowKat
10-06-2004, 04:44 PM
I think it'd be neat to coach HS. One of the best experiences I've had to date was being in the pep-band when our guys' team won the state championship.

And for a huge bragging-right: We were a brand-new school! It was only our second year out, and we win a title. Bwahaha!

Though if we're talking NBA, I'd rather be the owner of the :clippers: - the one they have now is a moron. :mad: Though he does seem to be getting better; after all, didn't he finally keep someone in the person of Elton Brand?

ChicagoJ
10-06-2004, 04:57 PM
As the son of a coach/ PE teacher, my father told me that I shouldn't get into teaching just to coach - because those make the worst coaches and teachers.

I think he was trying to motivate me to have the right reasons to become a teacher. Instead, I turned into an accountant. :p

I'd love to coach the sprinters and long jumpers on a track team. One of these years, I'll figure out how to balance the career and family and everything else and volunteer at a local high school or Div-II/ III college.

DisplacedKnick
10-06-2004, 05:46 PM
I coached JC - not HC, an assistant. Helped recruit and was a guard coach plus advance scout during the season. Loved it but I was 23-24. I don't see the appeal now.

Give me a pro salary though and I'm sure I might find some appeal in it. :)

ChicagoJ
10-06-2004, 05:57 PM
For basketball, I'd rather be an advance scout than a coach. But I'm a strange character, anyway. ;)

Coach
10-07-2004, 10:10 AM
It is one of the most rewarding things in life (having kids, getting married is probably the only things ahead of it). I will say this though, if you have never done it you have no idea what it is like (amount of time spent, difficulties with "some" parents, kids that might have different agendas than the team goal). Only people who have coached a team at the same level have a true appreciation of what goes into it. That is not a slight at anyone, it is just the way it is.

dipperdunk
10-07-2004, 11:59 AM
I would never want to be a basketball coach because I don't feel confident that I know enough to teach the game and I'm sure someone else could do a better job.

I do volunteer some of my time every summer working with kids teaching them proper techniques for pitching in baseball so they avoid arm injuries etc.,, I also help coach our local American Legion 16-18 year old baseball team working with the pitchers. I was lucky to have learned from some quality pitching coaches while I was playing the game and I enjoy being able to pass on some of that knowledge to the kids and teenagers who pitch.

I always get a little upset every year when I watch the 11-12 year old kids on ESPN in the Little League World Series and the coaches are letting the kids throw curve balls. There was a kid last year who had a great arm and he was a talented young pitcher but he was opening up his front shoulder on his delivery which causes strain to the pitching shoulder. Sure enough he told his coach his shoulder was sore and instead of changing his technique to fix the problem the coach told him to throw more on the side because his shoulder probably wasn't loose and he hadn't warmed up enough. :(