PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Crawford anybody?

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
The guy has been killing it on the playoffs scoring 24ppg 3.5apg, today he made the game winning shot to put Atlanta 2-1 againts Orlando, the guy is known for been clutch and hit big shots, he can also play point guard when need it, should the Pacers try to get him during the off season? how much should the Pacers pay for him?

Note:I would like for him to be our 6th man and possible start we need it.

Here are some videos of him:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aRuAHUegj4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rgXp_KbGoXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b8Ls_Ucazfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4V45qYbjOd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BringJackBack
04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
I prefer him over Jason Richardson any day. I would not mind Crawford on the Pacers at all.

He can start for 2 years or so until Paul George is ready to take over, and then he can become a back-up wing. He has great handles, a great shot, and he can create for himself along with decent creating for others too.

He can also, in a way, be that closer. I have a feeling that if we gave him the green light at the 2 he would flourish, which in turn would greatly help Danny as he would play off the ball and get easier looks.

He wouldn't mess up on court chemistry either as he has versatility, as in he can effectively play either on or off the ball.

Plus, in my opinion he fits the bill perfectly as a "Smash mouth" guy.

BornReady
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I've always been a big Crawford fan. The only downside is that he is a little streaky, having the ability to get 45343584 pts or go 0-20 haha. Anybody remember the game he lit Wade up for 52 pts?

PS wtf kind of music is that on the mixtape vid? LOL :D

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I've always been a big Crawford fan. The only downside is that he is a little streaky, having the ability to get 45343584 pts or go 0-20 haha. Anybody remember the game he lit Wade up for 52 pts?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxKEou4vPHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solomon Grundy
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I like him. Would be an excellent 6th man. Find a starting SG (Mayo or whoever) and move Paul George to SF off the bench and that would be an awesome wing combination.

croz24
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
i'd rather save the money for 2012 free agency

Hicks
04-23-2011, 12:10 AM
If the price is right, Jamal would be a welcomed addition IMO.

I Love P
04-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Sign me up, plus he's willing to come off the bench.

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 12:16 AM
As long as he is willing to take a pay cut he can come here, but if he is expecting 10+ hell no.

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I would rather sign Dunleavy to a smaller contract, and save that money for other players in 2011 or 2012.

There is no need to take that kind of risk on a streaky 31-year-old.

BringJackBack
04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
He had a great game today including the game winner for you all who didn't watch the game:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FJojHwePGzE?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this not exactly what we've needed this series? We need a guy who can close and create for himself off the bounce with 6 or so seconds on the clock when a good defensive team reads and defends a play well. Not trying to hype this guy up but I really think that he is the hidden gem in free agency. I can honestly say that if he gets the green light, I think he could average 20 points per game and 3 assists for us next year barring injury or very significant decline in quickness.

Scot Pollard
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
ERIC GORDON ANYBODY????????

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I would rather sign Dunleavy to a smaller contract, and save that money for other players in 2011 or 2012.

There is no need to take that kind of risk on a streaky 31-year-old.

Jamaal > Dunleavy

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 12:42 AM
If the price is right, Jamal would be a welcomed addition IMO.

What would you be willing to pay for him? 30/4? 25/3? I think he is going to make like 7mil or 8mil at least.

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Jamaal > Dunleavy

I agree, but why would we want to waste our money on Jamaal?

I think we all know he isn't going to settle for a small contract.

Hoop
04-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Jamal's game 3 winner against the Magic was just as bad of a shot as the our last shot was. He was just lucky enough to bank it in. He wasn't playing against the Bull's defense either.

The grass always looks greener on the other side. It would not take long to see Crawford is a streaky chucker, always has been. That's why he's been on so many different teams, they get tried of it and look for more consistency.

Hicks
04-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Jamal's game 3 winner against the Magic was just as bad of a shot as the our last shot was. He was just lucky enough to bank it in. He wasn't playing against the Bull's defense either.

The grass always looks greener on the other side. It would not take long to see Crawford is a streaky chucker, always has been. That's why he's been on so many different teams, they get tried of it and look for more consistency.

The difference is, Jamal Crawford has hit insane shots his entire career. I don't want to overhype him, but if you're going to take that kind of a shot, he's one of the few people you actually expect to hit them on occasion. Also, notice that in the video above, they mention he has the most 4 point plays in league history. The dude can kill you from the perimeter. He can also attack the basket decently.

I'm not trying to sell him as some golden god, but he would certainly help out with our offensive issues. Significantly.

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 12:54 AM

They asked him about the shot and he said that that area is his sweet spot, it wasn't a lucky shot they guy has done it from there many times, regarding the team switching, he was unlucky enough to be on two teams that decided to go into rebuilding mode and cut cost while he was there.

Scot Pollard
04-23-2011, 12:55 AM
He did score like 50 points in his Warriors debut.

That stood out to me.

rock747
04-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Everytime i see Crawford he's putting a dagger in someones heart. I know when the Pacers play the Hawks hes the guy that's most aggrivating. that being said 31 is kind of old.

Hicks
04-23-2011, 01:05 AM
31 is not that old.

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 01:11 AM
31 is not that old.

Not for a shooter, Ray Allen is 35 and I would trade for him any day.

Doddage
04-23-2011, 01:11 AM
No thanks. He has shown the ability to be an inefficient scorer in his career and being on the wrong side of 30, I think his production will only go down.

croz24
04-23-2011, 01:16 AM
if we were a true contender like dallas, miami, san antonio, okc, boston, orlando etc, yea i'd go for crawford in a heartbeat. but that fact remains, we need a lot more pieces than 31yo jamal crawford to reach elite status. i'd prefer to hold off giving someone like crawford a decently sized contract until we make sure we have hibbert, george, and collison signed long term, one. and two, have found a legitimate go-to player to build around long-term. ideally, we maintain our cap flexibility throughout the summer to use via trades or to go after someone like eric gordon in the much better 2012 free agency class. imo, crawford could get us to a 4 seed, but would ultimately hurt our chances to reach elite status.

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 01:19 AM
if we were a true contender like dallas, miami, san antonio, okc, boston, orlando etc, yea i'd go for crawford in a heartbeat. but that fact remains, we need a lot more pieces than 31yo jamal crawford to reach elite status. i'd prefer to hold off giving someone like crawford a decently sized contract until we make sure we have hibbert, george, and collison signed long term, one. and two, have found a legitimate go-to player to build around long-term. ideally, we maintain our cap flexibility throughout the summer to use via trades or to go after someone like eric gordon in the much better 2012 free agency class. imo, crawford could get us to a 4 seed, but would ultimately hurt our chances to reach elite status.

Uh? :confused:

croz24
04-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Uh? :confused:

that's my exact reaction when i read the majority of your posts

Doddage
04-23-2011, 01:25 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/kelso_burn_An_awkward_moment-s284x129-138155-580.gif

d_c
04-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Crawford is a good guy to have in the clutch and generally as a 6th man off the bench. But you would also find yourself pulling your hair out on numerous occasions if you had to watch him over an 82 game schedule. There's a reason he was once had for nothing more than Al Harrington.

He is streaky. You'll find he'll float through stretches were he looks invisible. And when he's not scoring, not on a hot streak or hitting clutch shots, you forget he's even on the team. Defensively, sometimes the guy doesn't even try.

Somebody else said it right about Crawford: In the same way that Stephen Jackson often "forces" things, Crawford too often "settles". With his long, lean frame and slick handle, he ought to be able to get to the basket more often, but he settles for jumpers. He should be disruptive defensively with that long frame of his, but he's closer to just being a matador.

Big time props to him for hitting shots like that. It's what he excels at. But strangely enough, he can be pretty tough to watch through an entire schedule. Just saying this as kind of a devil's advocate because nobody here really ever mentioned wanting him during the season until now, and there's a reason for that. As a 6th man, he would be a very good addition to the Pacers.

Hicks
04-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Not adding Crawford because he's not the final piece is insane. This is our time to get aggressive about becoming a good team. Make Crawford one of those pieces, just not THE piece. Still go get at least 1 big man. Still look for anything else you can add beyond those two. 2-3 good additions/moves combined with the improvement of our youth could have us looking a lot better, very quickly.

Hicks
04-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Crawford is a good guy to have in the clutch and generally as a 6th man off the bench. But you would also find yourself pulling your hair out on numerous occasions if you had to watch him over an 82 game schedule. There's a reason he was once had for nothing more than Al Harrington.

He is streaky. You'll find he'll float through stretches were he looks invisible. And when he's not scoring, not on a hot streak or hitting clutch shots, you forget he's even on the team. Defensively, sometimes the guy doesn't even try.

Somebody else said it right about Crawford: In the same way that Stephen Jackson often "forces" things, Crawford too often "settles". With his long, lean frame and slick handle, he ought to be able to get to the basket more often, but he settles for jumpers. He should be disruptive defensively with that long frame of his, but he's closer to just being a matador.

Big time props to him for hitting shots like that. It's what he excels at. But strangely enough, he can be pretty tough to watch through an entire schedule. Just saying this as kind of a devil's advocate because nobody here really ever mentioned wanting him during the season until now, and there's a reason for that. As a 6th man, he would be a very good addition to the Pacers.

That's what I want him to be: First wing off the bench. I'd really welcome him in that role.

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 01:58 AM
For those of you who want Jamaal, what kind of contract should we offer him?

I think if it was around 4yr/20mil or so, I would be cool with that. Would he be willing to go that low ?

croz24
04-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Not adding Crawford because he's not the final piece is insane. This is our time to get aggressive about becoming a good team. Make Crawford one of those pieces, just not THE piece. Still go get at least 1 big man. Still look for anything else you can add beyond those two. 2-3 good additions/moves combined with the improvement of our youth could have us looking a lot better, very quickly.

crawford is at or slightly past his prime, so by adding him you are adding a depreciating asset. and given his production, he likely won't come cheaply. giving crawford the contract we would likely have to give him to come here severely hurts any chance of us going after one of the young free agents in 2012 who could greatly improve our roster for the long-term. crawford is a very short term solution. i'd prefer the money and flexibility to sign someone more in line with the ages of our core players.

Eleazar
04-23-2011, 03:36 AM
i'd prefer the money and flexibility to sign someone more in line with the ages of our core players.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.

Psyren
04-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Depending on the price, I'd absolutely love it.

As some have said, he's very very streaky, but when he hits 2 or 3 in a row, he can light you up for 25 or 30 in a heartbeat.

ilive4sports
04-23-2011, 04:08 AM
For the right price and not too long of a contract, 3 years, 4 at max, I would welcome him as the 6th man. He is talented offensive player that can score. We need that. Also I like the idea of having another veteran. This series is showing we need another consistent scoring threat and Crawford could be that for us. Is he a home run guy? No, but he is a good player who will help us get better. He does chuck up shots, which is why I prefer him off the bench. But there is no doubt he can score in bunches and the only guy who can do that consistently on this team is Danny Granger right now.

CableKC
04-23-2011, 06:04 AM
My guess is that he will be looking for something in the $8 to 9 mil a year range as this is his last contract and he's been doing very well in the Playoffs...hoping for someone to bite at that price range. Given that he's likely to be one of the top 5 SGs on the FA market....I just don't see him settling for anything less.

The problem is that if you intend to spend that much $$$ on him.....that money should be going to a Starting Quality Player...not someone that you intend to have as a 6th Man.

I agree with dc on this and many of you...he's too streaky to be counted on to be a Starting SG.

CooperManning
04-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Crawford would be a nice guy to add, but not for the type of money he's going to command. It just feels rushed. Would anyone be rallying for Jamal Crawford if this wasn't a weak free agent class? No one said we have to use our cap room this year. Unless adding Crawford puts us in contention in the East in the next two years (it doesn't) I don't see the point.

If he'll take a smaller contract than I think he'll take, then nevermind, come on down JC.

owl
04-23-2011, 07:32 AM
The Pacers desparately need another outside scoring threat. That is why the Pacers are losing to the Bulls. Defense is good but a little more offense is needed to not allow the Bulls
to crowd Roy and focus on Danny. That and a big that can rebound like a beast and this
team would contend. If nothing is available in the big department get the pick you need
to get him and find your additional scorer in free agency this year or next.
I wonder what the Jimmer would be like bombing from 25 and really stretching a defense.

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't understand why people keep bringing the starting small guard thing? I opened this thread to see what people think about bringing a guy that is clutch to be our 1st win off the bench and possible help us in the playoffs next year, again I am suggesting to sign the guy to be one of the pieces on the team, nobody is saying that he is the answer or anything like that.

troyc11a
04-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't understand why people keep bringing the starting small guard thing? I opened this thread to see what people think about bringing a guy that is clutch to be our 1st win off the bench and possible help us in the playoffs next year, again I am suggesting to sign the guy to be one of the pieces on the team, nobody is saying that he is the answer or anything like that.

The "Answer" is not available via FA anyway. Crawford would be a nice piece to add for the right price. The only negative thing to consider is that his pricetag might go up because of such a weak FA class.
He is a combo guard which we could really use. Not to mention can shoot from the outside. I would love to get him

vnzla81
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Your previous post doesn't make any sense and maybe you don't understand my posts because I'm talking about other things not related to Danny Granger, this is actually one of the few time you don't trash Danny, good job.

[QUOTE=croz24;1222264]if we were a true contender like dallas, miami, san antonio, okc, boston, orlando etc, yea i'd go for crawford in a heartbeat. but that fact remains, we need a lot more pieces than 31yo jamal crawford to reach elite status.

Please find me anybody that is talking about him been the answer to reach elite status, I am suggesting another piece on the team, we are losing a lot of guys and I you don't know this the Pacers need to at least sign 13 players

i'd prefer to hold off giving someone like crawford a decently sized contract until we make sure we have hibbert, george, and collison signed long term,

Again, Uh? so you want to wait until we sign George,Collison,Hibbert long term? you know that is going to be few more years before we need to sign them long term right?

one. and two, have found a legitimate go-to player to build around long-term. ideally, we maintain our cap flexibility throughout the summer to use via trades or to go after someone like eric gordon in the much better 2012 free agency class. imo,

Yes because go to players are easy to find :rolleyes:

crawford could get us to a 4 seed, but would ultimately hurt our chances to reach elite status.

So you are saying that a guy like Crawford could get us a top 4 seed but you don't want that because you want to wait until the 2012 free agency? :laugh:

So if the Pacers keep the same team and make it to the playoffs as the 8th seed again you are not going to B**** and M*** right? and if the Pacers keep Danny for one more year you are not going to troll every thread right? right?

troyc11a
04-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.

Thats all we need = more rookies/1st/2nd year players. No thanks. We need some vets to mix in and help the young guys.

Hicks
04-23-2011, 10:45 AM
How much money do people expect us to spend on new players? We're going to have over twenty million in cap space, as far as I know. You could give Crawford 8 or 9, still have 11 or 12 or more left now, and in a year Posey expires, giving you close to 18 or 19 million again in 2012.

thatch3232
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I say, we're a Josh Smith and Eric Gordon away from being championship contenders. Go after J-Smoove this off-season in a trade, fill some holes (back-up center, back-up pg) through free agency for cheap, then save money to get Gordon next off-season.

If we do that, plus continue to draft well, and stay smart with our money, I see us becoming an elite franchise for a long time.

Go Pacers!

Hicks
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
According to this, I was being conservative, and we might be looking at closer to 25+ million/ in cap space this summer.

http://www.hoopdata.com/salaries/IND.aspx

Posey has 7.5 mil expiring next season, by the way. So if you sign Crawford, Posey "gives most of that back" the following summer.

The only snag next summer is Roy's contract extension. Also, well have to sign a few cheap guys to fill out the roster.

But let's say Roy adds 10 million.

Danny 13.3
Roy 10
Crawford 8.5
Tyler 3.1
Dahntay 2.9
George 2.6
Collison 2.3
'11 15th pick 1.6

That's 44.3.

'12 pick will be about 1.1, so make that 45.4.

If the cap is about 58 again (I think it will be a little higher), that leaves 12.6, less whomever else we may give a 2+ year deal to this summer.

If we wanted to fill out the roster cheap, that might knock it down to 8 or so left?

I think, if their goal is to still have cap space in 2012, they could make that happen and still make one larger (but not too large) deal now.

But I have doubts that that's the plan.

BringJackBack
04-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Plus, if it somehow didn't work out between us and Crawford, he'd be easy to move as he has value around the league.

idioteque
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/kelso_burn_An_awkward_moment-s284x129-138155-580.gif

What does Kyle Korver have anything to do with this? I know he's killing the Pacers but damn!

tinsley#11
04-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't feel like looking it up, but I'm pretty confident he is the only player in NBA history to have a 50+ point game for four different teams. Just an interesting tidbit.

Gamble1
04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
How much money do people expect us to spend on new players? We're going to have over twenty million in cap space, as far as I know. You could give Crawford 8 or 9, still have 11 or 12 or more left now, and in a year Posey expires, giving you close to 18 or 19 million again in 2012.
Great point... To many posters IMo are scared to sign anyone due to the last 4 years. ITs like we expect to get nothing or just hope for something in the distant future with our cap space. ( I call it the Pacers tea party).

I guarantee that anyone we sign will not make all PD members happy and I am ok with that because the Board is heavy on the manics here recently.

I would be happy with either Crawford or OJ at this point. Jason Richardson would also be nice for the right price but one thing is for sure, we will have a gaping hole at sg this off season with Dunleavy leaving and Rush not progressing.

troyc11a
04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Great point... To many posters IMo are scared to sign anyone due to the last 4 years. ITs like we expect to get nothing or just hope for something in the distant future with our cap space. ( I call it the Pacers tea party).

I guarantee that anyone we sign will not make all PD members happy and I am ok with that because the Board is heavy on the manics here recently.

I would be happy with either Crawford or OJ at this point. Jason Richardson would also be nice for the right price but one thing is for sure, we will have a gaping hole at sg this off season with Dunleavy leaving and Rush not progressing.

If you are happy with either Crawford or OJ, wouldnt you want OJ since he is about $7mill a year cheaper?
Crawford is a proven scorer. OJ lost his job to a no-name player.
Richardson will cost a lot more than Crawford.
If you add all this up. Wouldnt Crawford be the best bet? He is versitle. Can play the 1 or the 2.
Why not try to sign Crawford and then send the 1st rd pick to Cleveland for Varajeo? Cleveland wants to acquire as many picks as possible!

PR07
04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I think I'd rather take a flyer on Mayo, but if that failed, I'd be okay with Crawford.

Trophy
04-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I was at a game in NY like 5 years ago when he drained a game winnner and the Knicks beat us.

BornReady
04-23-2011, 01:33 PM
lets get both Mayo AND Crawford! yayyyy :D

LucasRL13
04-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I love J-Rich

wintermute
04-24-2011, 06:30 AM
For what we'd have to pay Crawford, I'd rather go after the Pistons' Stuckey (RFA).

CooperManning
04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
According to this, I was being conservative, and we might be looking at closer to 25+ million/ in cap space this summer.

http://www.hoopdata.com/salaries/IND.aspx

Posey has 7.5 mil expiring next season, by the way. So if you sign Crawford, Posey "gives most of that back" the following summer.

The only snag next summer is Roy's contract extension. Also, well have to sign a few cheap guys to fill out the roster.

But let's say Roy adds 10 million.

Danny 13.3
Roy 10
Crawford 8.5
Tyler 3.1
Dahntay 2.9
George 2.6
Collison 2.3
'11 15th pick 1.6

That's 44.3.

'12 pick will be about 1.1, so make that 45.4.

If the cap is about 58 again (I think it will be a little higher), that leaves 12.6, less whomever else we may give a 2+ year deal to this summer.

If we wanted to fill out the roster cheap, that might knock it down to 8 or so left?

I think, if their goal is to still have cap space in 2012, they could make that happen and still make one larger (but not too large) deal now.

But I have doubts that that's the plan.

Thanks for typing out the salaries so people could get a look at them.

The reason I'm conservative about the cap is because, like many of us, I'd like to eventually offer Eric Gordon a huge contract while saving enough to extend all the members of our core (assuming they continue to develop). Hibbert next year, Tyler and DC after that, PG in three years. It's on down the road, but when people talk about signing Jamal Crawford to a 4 year deal, you have to think about things like that. We don't know if DC is going to develop into a player worth giving a good-sized contract to. Same with Tyler and PG. Uncertainty is a problem with young teams. In our situation I wouldn't call it a bad problem, just one we have to monitor patiently.

If Gordon re-signs with the Clippers, I'd be willing to spend more on smaller pieces. Gordon seems to be one of the few big-money players that'd be willing to come here, so we could spread the money around more if he doesn't. But if he does come, I'd hate to be in a position where we can't afford to re-sign young members of our core because we overpaid for vet "pieces" when we had cash burning in our pocket.

This off-season, I'm more inclined to make smaller signings (another backup big, a backup point, reasonable contracts for McBob and Foster, etc) and see what our core can do next year. If the team comes out playing like they have all playoffs, it's hard to imagine less than 45 wins. A 5 or 6 seed and a decent chance at a first round upset are realistic goals for this team next season whether we add anyone or not. So if we can save money for the future, why not do it? If I thought we could make a championship run next year, I'd feel differently. But I think, with a good foundation, that's a very realistic goal 3-5 years down the line.

Oliver
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
For what we'd have to pay Crawford, I'd rather go after the Pistons' Stuckey (RFA).

I agree. Ive liked Crawford for awhile. I wanted us to get him a few years back when he was a bit more under the radar, but he is getting on a bit in age. I love his game tho. If we had Stucky right now the bulls series would be 3-1 going the other way.

The Jackson shimmy
04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
If the Pacers decide to throw $7-8 mil at a backup, I'd prefer a
guy like Dalembert, who is a couple years younger and can backup
at 4/5 over a guy like Crawford.

Thoreau87
04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for typing out the salaries so people could get a look at them.

The reason I'm conservative about the cap is because, like many of us, I'd like to eventually offer Eric Gordon a huge contract while saving enough to extend all the members of our core (assuming they continue to develop). Hibbert next year, Tyler and DC after that, PG in three years. It's on down the road, but when people talk about signing Jamal Crawford to a 4 year deal, you have to think about things like that. We don't know if DC is going to develop into a player worth giving a good-sized contract to. Same with Tyler and PG. Uncertainty is a problem with young teams. In our situation I wouldn't call it a bad problem, just one we have to monitor patiently.

If Gordon re-signs with the Clippers, I'd be willing to spend more on smaller pieces. Gordon seems to be one of the few big-money players that'd be willing to come here, so we could spread the money around more if he doesn't. But if he does come, I'd hate to be in a position where we can't afford to re-sign young members of our core because we overpaid for vet "pieces" when we had cash burning in our pocket.

This off-season, I'm more inclined to make smaller signings (another backup big, a backup point, reasonable contracts for McBob and Foster, etc) and see what our core can do next year. If the team comes out playing like they have all playoffs, it's hard to imagine less than 45 wins. A 5 or 6 seed and a decent chance at a first round upset are realistic goals for this team next season whether we add anyone or not. So if we can save money for the future, why not do it? If I thought we could make a championship run next year, I'd feel differently. But I think, with a good foundation, that's a very realistic goal 3-5 years down the line.

Well put. I agree with everything you said.

Why pay Crawford when we potentially have everything he has to offer? Paul, Danny, Rush, Dun (value resign), and Dahntay with a training camp under a long term headcoach (Vogel or Adelman) along with this playoff experience dismisses the need to over pay a guy who can't win us a title (and only hamper Paul and Rush's development).

Bird should make wise investments into the pieces we already have and hold out for the return of Indy's crowned prince. EJ's a Hoosier through and through and wants to come home and take his beloved Pacers to the top. I plead the fifth but a little birdy told me that. Not to mention his dad is on record with the LA Times saying he wants EJ back in the midwest. After the way the Illini fans treated his family I doubt that means the Bullies. I mean he sat courtside at both playoff games in Indy and saw the windy city wagon riders behavior for himself.

Consider my post the prelude to the greatest sports story Indiana has ever heard!

Gamble1
04-24-2011, 02:30 PM
If you are happy with either Crawford or OJ, wouldnt you want OJ since he is about $7mill a year cheaper?
Crawford is a proven scorer. OJ lost his job to a no-name player.
Richardson will cost a lot more than Crawford.
If you add all this up. Wouldnt Crawford be the best bet? He is versitle. Can play the 1 or the 2.
Why not try to sign Crawford and then send the 1st rd pick to Cleveland for Varajeo? Cleveland wants to acquire as many picks as possible!
Each guy has certain risks IMo. Crawford will cost more and is a streaky shooter. OJ is a bit of a headcase and doesn't shoot as well as Crawford or Richardson.

Personally I like Crawford the best because he seems like he will cost less than Richardson and is more proven than OJ with less issues.

I am not sure why you think Varajeo could be had for a first round pick..
He would cost a lot more than that IMO.

PacerPride33
04-24-2011, 06:44 PM
As much as I'd love to have Crawford, isn't he already over 30? Would rather save the $ and send our first to Memphis for OJ. Also, I would love to read that article about EJ's dad talking about how he wants his son back in the midwest

vnzla81
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
20, 3 and 3 for Crawford today.

LA_Confidential
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM

You stole my idea. :laugh:

Dude is a beast and would be amazing as the first guard off the bench.

Stuckey already is what we all hoped Lance could develop into.

Reginald
04-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Larry Bird has all but called his shot in regards to Crawford. He has said he wants a veteran presence in the locker room, plus the Pacers' one glaring need in light of the Bulls series is a guy who can create his own shot at crunch time. Crawford is a defensive liability and a streaky shooter, but he can create his own shot off the dribble arguably better than anyone not named Durant or Kobe.

As for the age thing, that's a complete non-factor to me. Ray Allen was 32 when he was traded to the Celtics. Reggie Miller was 34 when he advanced to his first and only NBA Finals. Jordan was 32 when he "unretired" and then proceeded to win three more titles and two more NBA MVP Awards, his last MVP earned when he was 35 years old.

vnzla81
04-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Crawford is the only Bench player since Kevin M to escore 20+ points in 4th straight games.

QuickRelease
04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.I want Crawford, but I absolutely don't think he should be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, which he would be at $10 Mil+.
Reasonable contract though, and I'd be all over that! :happydanc