PDA

View Full Version : Front Office gone at seasons end? (Per Rick Bucher, ESPN)

90'sNBARocked
04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37997

Bill (Indy)

Do think Vogel deserves to have the "interim" label removed? Pacers are finally generating excitement here after the O'Brien debacle of 3.5 years.

Ric Bucher (1:24 PM)

I've seen Frank's work up close. He's very impressive. If the Pacers change their front office, which I'm hearing they are likely to do, then it would stand to reason that the new regime would want to select the coach. But Vogel is as solid and composed in huddles as any coach I've seen. He's made a few questionable decisions, but he deserves a shot at being more than an interim. If not in Indy, somewhere else.

Hicks
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
I wonder where he's hearing that.

Psyren
04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Interesting, but I'll believe it when it happens.

HC
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Larry is just now seeing the results of his hard work. I can't see him walking away, but yeah we will have to wait and see I guess.

redfoster
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
That sounds like speculation to me. I haven't heard anyone else say it is likely, just possible.

After the way they finished this season, I would be very upset if we let Larry and Vogel go.

Will Galen
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM

The last I read Bird hadn't really made up his mind rather he wanted to come back or not. That was in the article where he quoted his wife as asking him after a couple bad loses, 'why are you doing this?'

I really think he could go either way, neither way being likely at this time.

cdash
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
I would really like to see Bird and company come back. I like the direction we are headed in.

Tom White
04-22-2011, 07:01 PM

From the same voices in his head that told him Bryant would never play for the Lakers again.

Sollozzo
04-22-2011, 07:02 PM
In Bucher's defense, Bryant himself said he'd never play for the Lakers again.

hoosierguy
04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
If so, then come on down Kevin Pritchard and bring Mike Brown/Rick Adelman with you.

DemonHunter1105
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I am totally guessing at this point, but I have a feeling it isn't Bird not wanting to come back. If anything, I hope it means top quality candidates see how young our team is and how much money we have to throw around so the interest in working for the Pacers has risen immensely.

Kaufman
04-22-2011, 07:59 PM
The decision has already been made, in my opinion. Its not like Larry is going to wake up Monday morning and decide he's going to stay or go based on how he feels that morning. The same goes for the owner Mr. Simon.

My guess is that behind closed doors, the top knows whats going to happen. My guess is that if Larry doesn't stay, the next regime already knows who they are.

That said, its hard to tell from the outside what is going to happen.

Typically if they were going to stay, I would think the announcement would have been made. If for no other reason than to give the team an emotional lift - possibly prior to game 3. Reading the tealeaves, I think I would guess 65/35 Larry goes. Speculation obviously.

Pacerized
04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Not one quote, just pure speculation and I don't buy it. I think Larry is being on the level. He want's to evaluate thinks with Simon at the seasons end. I hope to hear something very soon after that happens. I think if he goes it's his decision, but I don't see him walking away from this just when he's getting to the fun part. I hope he stays for a very long time.

Trophy
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Rick Bucher likes to make up things and say "he heard it from somewhere".

He loves to stir up situations.

I just don't see Simon changing the whole FO especially after we made the playoffs and played solid basketball.

Just like everyone, I'll believe it when I see it.

Kaufman
04-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Evaluations go on hour by hour, day by day. Not all of a sudden at the end of the year. In business, its all about getting a competitive edge. Waiting to pow-wow one week after the finish of the end of regular season is a disadvantage and I think this is not really the way the business world works.

That said, I agree with you in that I'd welcome Bird to stay as well.

Not one quote, just pure speculation and I don't
buy it. I think Larry is being on the level. He want's to evaluate thinks with Simon at the seasons end. I hope to hear something very soon after that happens. I think if he goes it's his decision, but I don't see him walking away from this just when he's getting to the fun part. I hope he stays for a very long time.

Sandman21
04-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I think Bird is going to stay. His plan is starting to pay off, why leave now? Morway I could see leaving though.

Marlin
04-22-2011, 08:17 PM
I hope Larry is as excited as we are seeing the team growing in front of our own eyes, and stays here. We're headed in the right direction, IMO.

croz24
04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
i'm fine with the front office remaining in tact. i would not be fine however with vogel returning. i prefer coaches with actual offensive or defensive philosophies. "motivational" coaches, which are so very common in the nba, are not my cup of tea. when my coach is in a post game press conference, i prefer that he can explain his decisions from a basketball mindset and understanding of the game. not just oh well he was playing good ball, so we kept him in, or reading off a box score to us.

docpaul
04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I've mentioned this before in another thread, but I have a friend who is high in the marketing department for PS&E, and he says it's almost a guarantee that Morway won't be back next year, even though he'd like to stay around, and that Pritchard's chances of coming to the front office are "50-50".

He also said that Larry's decision to stay is up to him.

This info was given to me about a month ago.

IndyPacer
04-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I want Bird to stay. He worked through some very tough predicaments and was constantly trashed by the armchair GMs in the sports media. He deserves to enjoy the team he has put together, especially if they can add a key missing piece via all that cap space he's freed up.

Justin Tyme
04-22-2011, 08:35 PM
The decision has already been made, in my opinion. Its not like Larry is going to wake up Monday morning and decide he's going to stay or go based on how he feels that morning. The same goes for the owner Mr. Simon.

My guess is that behind closed doors, the top knows whats going to happen. My guess is that if Larry doesn't stay, the next regime already knows who they are.

That said, its hard to tell from the outside what is going to happen.

Typically if they were going to stay, I would think the announcement would have been made. If for no other reason than to give the team an emotional lift - possibly prior to game 3. Reading the tealeaves, I think I would guess 65/35 Larry goes. Speculation obviously.

I have thought for a while Bird wouldn't make an annoucement until after the playoffs. I agree that Bird has already made his decision, and Simon knows what that decision is. My guess is Bird will quickly make his decision public after the playoffs, so Simon can get a FO in place ASAP for the draft.

90'sNBARocked
04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I like the idea of Bird coming back and replacing Morway with Pritchard and they evaluate going forward.

Wasnt it mentioned somewhere before that Morway was not very well liked?

pacer4ever
04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I like the idea of Bird coming back and replacing Morway with Pritchard and they evaluate going forward.

Wasnt it mentioned somewhere before that Morway was not very well liked?

Morway as a gm much better then Bird ever was at gm in my opinion. I would take Morway over Bird in a heart beat.

Trophy
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd be happy with a Morway and Pritchard FO.

They'd probably be very active in getting a guy like Eric Gordon and evaluating talent well.

Who knows if Bird will "officially" leave the Pacers for good if he steps down as the president. Maybe he'll be the owner someday, but who knows?

rock747
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
It's kind of cool to go to a Pacer game and have Larry Bird there. Not to mention the fact that he is a Legend and he gives the Pacers more publicity. It would be kind of sad to see him go... If he does.... lets bring Donnie back home.

grace
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM

From me. :zip:

Tom White
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
...not just oh well he was playing good ball, so we kept him in...

I think sometimes it is just that simple. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tom White
04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Morway as a gm much better then Bird ever was at gm in my opinion. I would take Morway over Bird in a heart beat.

Based on? I'm not the biggest Bird fan around, but I can't really pinpoint anything specific that Morway has been responsible for. Can you?

itzryan07
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Mike Brown is not a good coach! I want a coach who has played in the NBA. Mark Jackson please

Trophy
04-22-2011, 10:48 PM
It's kind of cool to go to a Pacer game and have Larry Bird there. Not to mention the fact that he is a Legend and he gives the Pacers more publicity. It would be kind of sad to see him go... If he does.... lets bring Donnie back home.

That's why it would be pretty cool to have him owning the Pacers in the future once Herb Simon is ready to sell.

He did have interest in purchasing the Bobcats when they first established and put his name in.

croz24
04-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Mike Brown is not a good coach! I want a coach who has played in the NBA. Mark Jackson please

???
410-272 for a 66.3win% with a finals appearance and 2 60+ win seasons in 5 years. lebron james, dwayne wade, and chris bosh couldn't even win 60 games this year, and yet the cavs with mo williams and anderson varejao as lebron's "sidekicks" managed 60+ twice. those cavs teams were incredibly disciplined, played great d for 48minutes, and executed among the best teams in the league.

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM

How you know who does what? :confused:

By the way I was in the Fashion Mall today and saw him, of course that I didn't remember who he was. :blush:

Justin Tyme
04-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Based on? I'm not the biggest Bird fan around, but I can't really pinpoint anything specific that Morway has been responsible for. Can you?

Getting a TE for Peja from NO when it wasn't necessary for NO to give it. I realize that wasn't under Bird's watch.

CooperManning
04-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I'll be surprised if Larry leaves after the intensity we've played with in the playoffs. How could anyone with his competitive spirit not want to keep building this team? Especially with the cap flexibility he's created. I don't know, Larry Bird has just never seemed like the kind of guy to set the table for somebody else's dinner.

itzryan07
04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
???
410-272 for a 66.3win% with a finals appearance and 2 60+ win seasons in 5 years. lebron james, dwayne wade, and chris bosh couldn't even win 60 games this year, and yet the cavs with mo williams and anderson varejao as lebron's "sidekicks" managed 60+ twice. those cavs teams were incredibly disciplined, played great d for 48minutes, and executed among the best teams in the league.
yet, he still didn't deliver a championship. his decisions the last 2 years cost them, with matchups, rotations, and u said executing among the best teams? Thats why they didn't win the championship.

BobbyMac
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I think Bird will stay, Morway will leave and......Reggie will move in as GM.

Day-V
04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Heh, this is funny, because my source (and yes, I actually have a source on this one) told me Larry's probably staying.

JB24
04-23-2011, 11:26 AM
ricbucher
FWIW: disparate opinions among gms, agents, league HQ officials today about where LeBron is going, but consensus on 1 thing: it's not Mia.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/2-hours-from-lebrons-decision-one-thing-is-clear-nobody-knows-a-damn-thing/

pacer4ever
04-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Bird will stay, Morway will leave and......Reggie will move in as GM.

That would be a terrible move for the franchise basketball wise. Reggie isnt anywhere close to having enoght experience for that job.

pacer4ever
04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
How you know who does what? :confused:

By the way I was in the Fashion Mall today and saw him, of course that I didn't remember who he was. :blush:

I saw him outside of the fieldhouse before last game.

He is a basketball guy i trust him over Bird by far just off backround. I dont like Bird too much.

Trophy
04-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Morway was on the Suns GM radar so I guess he is capable to take over for Bird if he does step down from the FO.

itzryan07
04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
y do people hate bird? look what he has done for our team, brought us back to the playoffs.

CircleCity3318
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Fran and dick said during the game that bird said he wants back because he's excited about the team. Something along the lines of that don't know the exact quote because they said it during broadcast.

Pacerized
04-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Fran and dick said during the game that bird said he wants back because he's excited about the team. Something along the lines of that don't know the exact quote because they said it during broadcast.

I didn't catch the entire broadcast, I hope these comments are true. From what they showed of Bird he didn't look like a man who's lost interest.

Sandman21
04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
If anything, I think this playoff series may be rejuvenating him. His 3 year plan is on schedule and showing that he was right.

trs72
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I want Bird to stay. He worked through some very tough predicaments and was constantly trashed by the armchair GMs in the sports media. He deserves to enjoy the team he has put together, especially if they can add a key missing piece via all that cap space he's freed up.

I feel the same way. Bird has done a great job with what he was given. The only mistake was hiring O'brien. But I doubt Bird will make that same mistake and hire a moron as a coach. Either he will give Vogel a shot to to continue on or he will go out and hire a proven coach. I just hope it is not Mike Brown. Brown's a good defensive minded guy but offensive he is limited. He had Lebron and thats why his record looks good as a head coach. Give him a good team with no star he would fail. Pacers have a lot of talent but no star that can take over a game. We need a proven guy to coach so this team does not fall apart every game at the end.

cdash
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
If anything, I think this playoff series may be rejuvenating him. His 3 year plan is on schedule and showing that he was right.

I agree. It's not only rejuvenating him, but it is pumping life into our fan base. There's a buzz around the Pacers now. This city is proud of this team.