PDA

View Full Version : Official INDIANA FEVER 2011-2012 season thread

Constellations
04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Let's get it going guys! Any thoughts on the draft picks of Jeanette Pohlen and Indy Native Jori Davis?

BillS
04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
I am stricken to the bone by losing Tully - not from a playing standpoint, as we have younger players ready to step up, but from a personal standpoint as she was about my favorite.

I am concerned about the loss of Ebony, though I think Jessica Davenport is also ready to step up.

Unfortunately I know little about our new players, so I am in wait-and-see mode.

Let's have a great season!

Scot Pollard
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I might go to a game this year.

You can pretty much sit where ever you want its dirt cheap and no one goes.

I remember last year or whenever we got in for free thanks to Mr. Bird.

That's why I think he'll be the next owner of both the Pacers and maybe the Fever if he wants to be responsible for 2 franchises.

Kuq_e_Zi91
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm pumped to say the least.

Bri is probably my favorite player, after Tamika of course, so I'm ready to see her take over the reigns at point.

I LOVE the addition of Tangela Smith. We won't miss Ebony at all with this addition.

Don't know much about Pohlen. Think she'll get a lot of playing time in her rookie season? I'm more interested in seeing what Jene can do to be honest, especially after playing together with Bri overseas during the off-season.

Scot Pollard
04-23-2011, 12:33 AM
WTF????

Brittney Spears is in the WNBA!!!!

She got drafted by the Phoenix team.

gummy
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Pohlen has potential but I too am more interested to see how Jene has progressed. I'll miss Tully from a fan standpoint but we'll be fine as a team. I loved Ebony but she was pretty inconsistent - Tangela Smith with step up.

Please, please, please let us see a little less Sutton-Brown this year.

I'm ready to see Tamika get another shot at the ring she so richly deserves.

Constellations
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm very excited about the season. Were going to the finals again baby!

Constellations
05-04-2011, 05:19 AM
The Indiana Fever landed Erin Phillips in a 3 team trade with the Seattle Storm and Washington Mystics.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/erin_phillips_110429.html

http://i53.tinypic.com/ohn78p.jpg

Day-V
05-04-2011, 05:53 AM
http://www.koszykowkakobiet.pl/uploads/SuperSizerTmp/Erin_Phillips_-_koszykarka_Lotosu_Gdynia_-_zdjecie_w_bieliznie_-_koszykowka_kobiet.-w0-h200-p0-F-S1.jpg
Helloooooo Nurse.

Constellations
05-04-2011, 06:15 AM
http://www.koszykowkakobiet.pl/uploads/SuperSizerTmp/Erin_Phillips_-_koszykarka_Lotosu_Gdynia_-_zdjecie_w_bieliznie_-_koszykowka_kobiet.-w0-h200-p0-F-S1.jpg
Helloooooo Nurse.

I need to shake your hand for posting this pic. Omg. I'd totally rebound for her ;)

/SEXY

Really?
05-04-2011, 11:40 AM
As for Jeanette Pohlen and Jori Davis

I think Pohlen will be good off the bench since she can play a couple of positions, I think she will only be able to play the 1 in very rare situations though, not quick with the ball, can get to the whole some, and her range is very good.

Jori is a good scorer and she has that grit and determination, I will definitely like her energy boost off the bench.

Really?
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
The Indiana Fever landed Erin Phillips in a 3 team trade with the Seattle Storm and Washington Mystics.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/erin_phillips_110429.html

http://i53.tinypic.com/ohn78p.jpg

Welp I guess that is the end of Jori Davis, humm that was surprising...

Haven't really seen much of Erin Play but is she as good as or does she have as much upside as Jasmine Thomas.

Seems like the other two teams really cleaned up in this trade while Indy got the short end of the stick...

We must really be trying to find a PG, January, Jene, Zellous, Pohlen, now Erin, that is almost half our roster spots right there...idk

gummy
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Jene and Zellous are definitely more two guard than anything else. We do need a backup for January...maybe even a replacement for her as well since she didn't show the growth in her second year that many of us expected.

I think they are just stocking up for training camp so these ladies can fight it out. They can't all make the roster.

Really?
05-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Jene and Zellous are definitely more two guard than anything else. We do need a backup for January...maybe even a replacement for her as well since she didn't show the growth in her second year that many of us expected.

I think they are just stocking up for training camp so these ladies can fight it out. They can't all make the roster.

Yeah they are more of 2's but short 2's that I thought the fever were trying to use more as a 1, but I guess I was just confused with what we gave up and what other teams got, I know that with less roster spots the 2nd and 3rd round pick aren't as valuable because of space but if we could have gotten that Jasmine Thomas package I would have been extremely happy, true PG with upside as well as a 1st rd pick... would have been nice

Constellations
05-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Erin will be superb off the bench for January.

Constellations
05-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Fever waive Cheek, Finalize team training camp roster.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/camp_finalizes_2011_05_05.html

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Worst case scenario, we have Douglas run point to help take some pressure off Bri, if no backups do a good job.

Really?
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
We have to cut 4 more people by the beginning of the season I wonder who will make the cut... but this Aisha Mohammad lady is built... wonder if she can hoop..

BillS
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Season tix arrived today! :dance:

Constellations
05-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Season tix arrived today! :dance:

Nice. My girl and I are gonna come to most of the home games.

Sookie
05-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Margo Dydek died today from a heart attack. She left behind a husband and two very little children (I actually think she might have been pregnant) Very nice woman.

She was part of my favorite sports picture of all time.
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8025/margodydek01.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/margodydek01.jpg/)

ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Anyway, Erin Phillips was probably the crowd favorite in Connecticut. She's a fun little player, and can play both the 1 and the 2. She'll probably end up backing up Brianna.

Day-V
05-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Anyway, Erin Phillips was probably the crowd favorite in Connecticut.

She's definitely my favorite.

gummy
05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Abi Olajuwon and Jené Morris have been waived, so the roster is down to 12. I don't know much about Abi but think Jene has a lot of talent, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't stick with her for another season.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm shocked that we waived Jene. We bailed on her way too soon.

BillS
06-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, last night's game was ... interesting.

While I know it was preseason, the lineup of Catchings - Sutton-Brown - January - Douglas - Zellous makes the most sense as the starters and got a lot of minutes last night. Unfortunately, that lineup was doing little other than holding the ball to watch for a drive opportunity, then either passing to someone else to hold the ball and look for a drive opportunity or actually drive to the basket. Not what one would call a particularly effective offensive system.

Katie moved off the ball much of the time but it often seemed more an attempt to distract the defense ("Look! A flock of turtles!") so the ballhandler could go off the dribble than any kind of play that would end up with an open shooter in a good position.

The defense in the first half was pretty pitiful. It got better in the second half but there's no way the defense is going to bail the offense out enough to win games unless something changes on the scoring end.

Really?
06-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Jessica Moore cut as well

BillS
06-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Glad for the win tonight but lucky the Sky stink on offense. Fever's jumpers falling for the most part and a pretty strong defense, but the offense still consists far too much of dish-and-drive or a poorly executed pick attempt leading to a muddled jumper.

Jessica Davenport seems to be stepping up in the middle quite nicely when she is on the floor, and I'm always loving me some "Spud" Bobbitt...

Really?
06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah you could definitely tell that was that first game of the season... it was so sloppy it was crazy, turnovers by both teams, miss handled balls...hopefully we put up a better showing in our next game.

But yes happy for the win anyways.

Sookie
06-08-2011, 04:06 PM
WNBA related, there was an outside the lines interview with Taurasi and Monique Cooker (Sp). Both had tested positive for a drug test, and both hadn't taken it. Scary circumstance really. I wonder if Taurasi's the biggest Athlete to have been accused of drug testing, and actually told the truth about not taking it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6632692

pacer4ever
06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
WNBA related, there was an outside the lines interview with Taurasi and Monique Cooker (Sp). Both had tested positive for a drug test, and both hadn't taken it. Scary circumstance really. I wonder if Taurasi's the biggest Athlete to have been accused of drug testing, and actually told the truth about not taking it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6632692

she only makes 1m a year in Europe? I find that hard to believe i would think she would make at least 5m.

Sookie
06-08-2011, 07:13 PM
she only makes 1m a year in Europe? I find that hard to believe i would think she would make at least 5m.

I would think so to, seeing as that same team was offering her 200,000 per game if she came back and played the rest of the season (which had ten games)

I'm not completely sure though. I think with the added benefits (housing, jewelry, vacation trips) that her old Russian Owner (who was...assassinated..) gave her, Bird, and Jackson it was probably around 5 million a year. I don't think she's that spoiled in Turkey though.

Constellations
06-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Gotta love our girls! :)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2q8y91w.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/4sl0yx.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2livrqa.jpg

BillS
06-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, that was an offensive nightmare tonight.

If we don't start seeing more out of this team than missed picks, bad drives, passed up short range shots in favor of passing out to a low percentage long-range jumper, I don't know what will happen.

Thank goodness for the defense showing up in the second half, it was the only thing that kept us in the game.

When we first started going to Fever games I could not understand the antipathy toward Lyn Dunn. Now, I begin to feel it rooting in my soul.

Constellations
06-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Katie is currently leading the league in scoring right now at 21.0 ppg.

Scot Pollard
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
we're at the fieldhouse now.

holy **** katie douglas has got to be the best player in the wnba. if only more players could be as good as her this would be a lot more exciting.

we're here because we missed coming to the fieldhouse and it is true hoosiers just cant resist good basketball. cant wait for next pacers season.

Really?
06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
lol Katie in her profile pic looked like a female Vogel... no offense...

Scot Pollard
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I was at tonight's game and was wondering what happened to the DETROIT Shock?

Why'd they move to Tulsa? They were like one of the more successful of the WNBA franchises.

Sookie
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
we're at the fieldhouse now.

holy **** katie douglas has got to be the best player in the wnba. if only more players could be as good as her this would be a lot more exciting.

we're here because we missed coming to the fieldhouse and it is true hoosiers just cant resist good basketball. cant wait for next pacers season.

See, that's the problem with the assumptions about the WNBA, there are SO many good players in this league, but people still think it's like the WNBA of old. (Katie, although have a fantastic start..is not even top 10 with Candace Parker, Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, Tina Charles, Sylvia Folwes..I could probably go further.)

It's a shame you saw the Shock though...they aren't exactly very good..in fact..their best player is a rookie, who didn't even play. Cambage and Pederson are really the only players worth keeping on that team. (Maybe Latta) And both are rookies.

If You're interested, the Seattle Storm are a fantastic team. Honestly, the talent on that team is probably more ridiculous than the Heat, and are much more balanced. They have the best point guard in the world (Sue Bird), the best Center (Lauren Jackson) (many would argue best player, although I'd go with Taurasi ;) ) A top 5 SF in Swin Cash. The record holder in three pointers shooter in the league, and one of the best perimeter defenders in Katie Smith. And a few good role players to match. The pretty much creamed the rest of the league last season. (Never lost a game in the playoffs)

The Minnesota Lynx are a really young, fun, and up and coming team. Extremely talented. They've got Maya Moore (probably will win ROY) Seimone Agustus (top player in the league) Lindsay Whalen (probably second best point guard in the league) Rebecca Brunson (has been the best player in the League so far)..then off the bench they have Candice Wiggins who was a WCBB POY, Monica Wright, who is a fantastic shooter, and Charde Houston..who is as inconsistent as can be, but when she's on, can score from anywhere.

Chicago Sky have been a surprise. Their rookie point guard has shown a lot of promise, and is actually quite the treat to watch. (Courtney Vandersloot - recently broke the NCAA all time assist record for Men's or Women's CBB I believe) and Sylvia Fowles is like, the women's version of Dwight.

The Connecticut Sun and the Fever always have good games. Although the Sun probably won't finish too well this season.

And the Phoenix Mercury, although struggling early, have two of the best players in the world in Taurasi and Penny Taylor. Taurasi seems to never have a good game against the Fever though. But if you catch her on a good day...she's unbelievable.

So if you are unfamiliar, but want to check out some games, those are my suggestions.

edit: Detroit simply sold the team and a buyer in Tulsa took them. Honestly, they've been some what of a train wreck. The best players from the Shock (Deanna Nolan, Cheryl Ford, Katie Smith) refused to go there, as I said..they've essentially got only two players worth keeping (although Cambage is a fantastic building block.) But their coach is worse than O'brien..and seemingly more Stubborn. (He's the 40 minutes of hell guy)

pacer4ever
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
See, that's the problem with the assumptions about the WNBA, there are SO many good players in this league, but people still think it's like the WNBA of old. (Katie, although have a fantastic start..is not even top 10 with Candace Parker, Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, Tina Charles, Sylvia Folwes..I could probably go further.)

It's a shame you saw the Shock though...they aren't exactly very good..in fact..their best player is a rookie, who didn't even play. Cambage and Pederson are really the only players worth keeping on that team. (Maybe Latta) And both are rookies.

If You're interested, the Seattle Storm are a fantastic team. Honestly, the talent on that team is probably more ridiculous than the Heat, and are much more balanced. They have the best point guard in the world (Sue Bird), the best Center (Lauren Jackson) (many would argue best player, although I'd go with Taurasi ;) ) A top 5 SF in Swin Cash. The record holder in three pointers shooter in the league, and one of the best perimeter defenders in Katie Smith. And a few good role players to match. The pretty much creamed the rest of the league last season. (Never lost a game in the playoffs)

The Minnesota Lynx are a really young, fun, and up and coming team. Extremely talented.

Chicago Sky have been a surprise. Their rookie point guard has shown a lot of promise, and is actually quite the treat to watch. (Courtney Vandersloot - recently broke the NCAA all time assist record for Men's or Women's CBB I believe) and Sylvia Fowles is like, the women's version of Dwight.

The Connecticut Sun and the Fever always have good games. Although the Sun probably won't finish too well this season.

And the Phoenix Mercury, although struggling early, have two of the best players in the world in Taurasi and Penny Taylor. Taurasi seems to never have a good game against the Fever though. But if you catch her on a good day...

So if you are unfamiliar, but want to check out some games, those are my suggestions.

I agree with that 100% i watched Minnesota vs LA the other day and i though i was watching the WNBA all star game they have massive names in the WNBA and really good talent top to bottom on each team. It is almost like every WNBA team is a super team all i know is that Minnesota team might have the most talent in the WNBA. With Walden, Maya Moore and Simone Augusta that team is stacked. (i dont watch WNBA ball except when i am channel flipping but both those teams were stacked. I still though Walden played for Connecticut :laugh:then i googled the trade she got traded in a massive deal. )

Scot Pollard
06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Please don't take it the wrong way. I do really enjoy watching WNBA basketball ever since the Fever were in the Finals.

These girls play their asses off and have a fun time out there no matter how much they're getting paid or how many people are in attendance. They love the game.

Hell, I wish the Pacers were as successful as the Fever are in the WNBA. The Fever are pretty much contending every season.

I've watched some other games this year on TV. Maya Moore is going to be something special. Candice Parker is pretty much like the female Kobe Bryant in LA. She's a great player.

I was really impressed with how well Katie Douglas has done this season. She was making shot after shot after shot tonight.

Sookie
06-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Please don't take it the wrong way. I do really enjoy watching WNBA basketball ever since the Fever were in the Finals.

These girls play their asses off and have a fun time out there no matter how much they're getting paid or how many people are in attendance. They love the game.

Hell, I wish the Pacers were as successful as the Fever are in the WNBA. The Fever are pretty much contending every season.

I've watched some other games this year on TV. Maya Moore is going to be something special. Candice Parker is pretty much like the female Kobe Bryant in LA. She's a great player.

I was really impressed with how well Katie Douglas has done this season. She was making shot after shot after shot tonight.

Your post just seemed like you hadn't watched many games, so I was filling you in a bit. I was just thinking it would be a shame if someone's first experience with the WNBA had been the Shock. :laugh:

jeffg-body
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I thought it was a great game tonight. The girls clamped down on defense when they needed it and Catch was on in the end. My two little girls were jumping around the house they were so excited to see the girls play.

Scot Pollard
06-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Your post just seemed like you hadn't watched many games, so I was filling you in a bit. I was just thinking it would be a shame if someone's first experience with the WNBA had been the Shock. :laugh:

I'm in no way as big a fan as you are and I appreciate you filling me in a bit.

I just wondered what really happened with the Shock because I used to enjoy the Fever/Shock rivalry games much like the Pacers/Pistons.

The Fever are a hell of a team and I wish the Pacers would be at the top like them.

Also as far as WNBA attendance goes, the Fever are towards the top so like I said before Hoosiers can't resist winning basketball.

They definitely can't resist it when it's coming from the Pacers so I'm excited for next season while I was sitting at the Fieldhouse tonight.

We had a good time tonight so we'll definitely attend some more games this season.

Constellations
06-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Jeanette Pohlen is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.

Trader Joe
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I watched Vandersloot play a couple times in the women's tournament. She's pretty amazing. I couldn't believe she got so little respect nationally.

Sookie
06-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I watched Vandersloot play a couple times in the women's tournament. She's pretty amazing. I couldn't believe she got so little respect nationally.

I never saw her play in college, just saw her recently. She's fearless with her passing. Which is atypical with female players.

She didn't get the credit she deserved because WCBB is very "elitist" and Gonzaga is not an "elite" school. Between Maya and Griner..and then Diggins..it was going to be hard for her to get recognition anyway.

BillS
06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Interesting.

Even with the win, I think this is the worst overall offensive scheme I've seen from the Fever since I started attending games (bear in mind I've only watched them under Lin Dunn). Ball movement and player movement off the ball seems almost non-existent, and it is only if the jumpers are falling against a low-offense team we seem to do well.

The typical focus of the Fever has been on defense, and they have been doing better at that lately, but at some point they need to have more consistent scoring than they can count on from outside shots and dish-and-drive situations.

That said, I saw some actual executed pick and rolls Tuesday night, so there is hope.

Losing Ebony in the paint has hurt more than I expected, and so far none of the point guards seem to be able to distribute the ball quickly. This could be a problem.

Ownagedood
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Fever are always contenders because they have had a Superstar in Catchings. She's amazing, offense and especially defense. They have done a nice job of getting girls around her as well. The Fever aren't the best team but they are always in it, which makes it exciting. I hope they can win a Championship for Tamika.

Tamika and Douglas are like our Jordan and Pippen :)
I hope to see more Fever games this year, i don't think i was able to watch one last year..

Pacers are just that star away. :(

BillS
06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Pulled out the win last night, almost got in trouble with ball sloppiness near the end.

I still don't like the offense in any way shape or form, but the defense has so far managed to keep us in the running.

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Fever are always contenders because they have had a Superstar in Catchings. She's amazing, offense and especially defense. They have done a nice job of getting girls around her as well. The Fever aren't the best team but they are always in it, which makes it exciting. I hope they can win a Championship for Tamika.

Tamika and Douglas are like our Jordan and Pippen :)
I hope to see more Fever games this year, i don't think i was able to watch one last year..

Pacers are just that star away. :(

You mean diana taurasi and cappie pondexter?

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I never saw her play in college, just saw her recently. She's fearless with her passing. Which is atypical with female players.

She didn't get the credit she deserved because WCBB is very "elitist" and Gonzaga is not an "elite" school. Between Maya and Griner..and then Diggins..it was going to be hard for her to get recognition anyway.

She isn't putting up great numbers in Chicago which puzzles me she has a lot of talent to play with. Elizabeth Cambage she is the real deal might win rookie of the year over Maya.

Sookie
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
She isn't putting up great numbers in Chicago which puzzles me she has a lot of talent to play with. Elizabeth Cambage she is the real deal might win rookie of the year over Maya.

She plays with Epiphany Prince, who is a very ball dominant two guard. She doesn't have the ball in her hands as much as she used to.

I think they'd be better if they split it up a bit, honestly.

Constellations
06-26-2011, 08:44 PM
TIE BALL GAME BABY!

Constellations
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I love our girls.

Constellations
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I was serious when I said Pohlen was quickly becoming a new fav for me.

Sookie
06-26-2011, 10:35 PM
You mean diana taurasi and cappie pondexter?

Honestly, that was like sticking Jordan and Kobe on the same team..and then add Penny Taylor...sheesh..(Actually, that was pretty much the WNBA equivalent of having Jordan, Kobe, and Manu on the same team...)

Great win for the Fever tonight, Catch and Douglas are a fantastic duo in their own right. I always think, no matter what league, you usually need three great players, and the Fever only have two. But they've been able to get some quality wins. Douglas has been awesome, good to see her back. With the Lynx, they are almost too talented, and I'm not sure they have a "killer." As much as every Uconn fan loved Moore, I was never sure she had that, and I'm still not sure. Plus, she's a rookie. The rest of the team are essentially incredibly talented players that haven't won in college or the pros. (Except Brunson) So as much talent as they have, I'm not sure that all the pieces fit, or that they'll end up winning the championship.

NuffSaid
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Anyone know where I can find ESPN3 on DirecTV? I was looking at the Fever's schedule for nationally televised games and noticed they list several games to be broadcasted on ESPN3. I have DirecTV and was looking over both their Choice Packages (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1) and their Sports Package and couldn't find ESPN3 among them.

I was wondering if anyone else was having this same problem? I'd really like to see more Fever games this year, but if DirecTV doesn't carry ESPN3, I'm reduced to waiting until a game comes on NBA-TV, ESPN or ESPN2. (Frankly, I'd never heard of ESPN3; ESPN2, ESPN-U or ESPN-Classic, but not ESPN3. Typo perhaps?)

Sookie
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone know where I can find ESPN3 on DirecTV? I was looking at the Fever's schedule for nationally televised games and noticed they list several games to be broadcasted on ESPN3. I have DirecTV and was looking over both their Choice Packages (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/base_packages.jsp?footernavtype=-1) and their Sports Package and couldn't find ESPN3 among them.

I was wondering if anyone else was having this same problem? I'd really like to see more Fever games this year, but if DirecTV doesn't carry ESPN3, I'm reduced to waiting until a game comes on NBA-TV, ESPN or ESPN2. (Frankly, I'd never heard of ESPN3; ESPN2, ESPN-U or ESPN-Classic, but not ESPN3. Typo perhaps?)

ESPN 3 is an online stream. Depending on your cable carrier you can get it for free. Just do a google search for it, and it'll come up. (It used to be ESPN 360)

NuffSaid
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Ah! Thanks, Sookie. Much appreciate it. :) Not sure if I want to sit in front of my computer screen to watch a game unless it's a good network feed, but I'll give it a shot atleast once.

pacer4ever
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Ah! Thanks, Sookie. Much appreciate it. :) Not sure if I want to sit in front of my computer screen to watch a game unless it's a good network feed, but I'll give it a shot atleast once.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

starts at 7pm

gummy
06-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Davenport and Douglas had great games tonight.

I wouldn't call our offense fluid, but we sure do go on some great runs. That, combined with our defense, has keep us looking pretty good.

I love beating Phoenix!

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Hope January's injury isn't anything serious. It's good to at least have a week off before our next game.

Sookie
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Hope January's injury isn't anything serious. It's good to at least have a week off before our next game.

The way she held her knee..I didn't see it. Unfortunately, I've watched so much women's basketball I can usually tell if it's a torn ACL, but as I said..I missed it. But the way she held her knee..I hope it's just an MCL.

Damn at Parker and January in the same week..

gummy
06-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Commentator did say she knocked knees with someone...hoping it's just a bruise.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-29-2011, 09:36 AM
We'll know soon. MRI scheduled for today. I don't know what we'll do if we lose her for an extended period of time. Bobbit? Phillips? I'm against disrupting Katie's rhythm by placing more point duties on her. Kinda missing Tully a little bit right now...

Sookie
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Dreaded 3 letter word in women's basketball, poor thing, hope she has a healthy recovery

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/briann_january_out_for_2011.html

She didn't have one until she was older, so she's likely to not be a player who has another ACL injury, so long as she recovers well.

I'm hoping they figure out what causes this soon. (Lots of theories for why it's different with women than men, and what types of things cause it.)

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
:vaderno:

This is heartbreaking. She was on her way to a breakout season. I'll miss her, and I hope she recovers 100%.

gummy
06-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

It did look like she was ready to take the next step this season.

We're probably going to see Katie handling a lot of point but I agree, that won't be good for her shooting rhythm. Bobbit is too small to take over starting duties and Phillips...I don't know, is she ready? I doubt it.

BillS
06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Are the Fever catching the Pacers' PG curse? Really wish we wouldn't have let Tully go, now - while I really like Bobbit as a sparkplug I don't think she'll be good in extended minutes, and I don't think Erin is up to the task.

Good thoughts for Bri and hope she makes a full recovery!

Really?
07-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah this really sucks, any word on if we are trying to sign anyone... Wonder if Tamika can just play the point forward at times.

Scot Pollard
07-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I miss Tully even more now. :(

gummy
07-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure if Tully would help all that much in this situation. Seems to me that she is clearly at that point where veteran savvy can no longer make up for the fast deterioration in skill-set due to age. Would she be better than what we are left with now? Probably, unless Phillips surprises me. But is she head and shoulders above at this point? I'm not at all sure.

gummy
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, it's only one game but Erin did surprise me - she ran the point quite a bit better than I expected her to. This should be interesting.

Constellations
07-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Anybody know if the Fever are on the radio on game days?

gummy
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Anybody know if the Fever are on the radio on game days?

I watch the games online through the free league pass on the WNBA website. It's a pretty high quality feed if you're able to be online.

The ads say the game is on...I think it's 1070 The Fan.

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Fever are rolling right now with a awesome win today over Connecticut. Were currently on a 7 game winning streak.

Sookie
07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Erin has done an excellent job since January got hurt, hope she keeps it up.

Constellations
07-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Erin has done an excellent job since January got hurt, hope she keeps it up.

She was perfect from the field today.

gummy
07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Phillips has been impressive. Dare I say our offense actually looks better than before.

pacer4ever
07-14-2011, 02:24 AM
Dreaded 3 letter word in women's basketball, poor thing, hope she has a healthy recovery

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/briann_january_out_for_2011.html

She didn't have one until she was older, so she's likely to not be a player who has another ACL injury, so long as she recovers well.

I'm hoping they figure out what causes this soon. (Lots of theories for why it's different with women than men, and what types of things cause it.)

I saw here at the pro am and she didnt have a brace or anything she looked fine. I guess it doesn't hurt unless u cut? When is the surgery for

Sookie
07-16-2011, 12:19 AM
I saw here at the pro am and she didnt have a brace or anything she looked fine. I guess it doesn't hurt unless u cut? When is the surgery for

I think I've read that she's not going to have the surgery for a little while, which is why she doesn't have a brace.

And it really depends on the player in terms of pain. I mean, just thinking back from Uconn players, Jessica Moore tore her ACL in a game, continued playing..and actually played quite well, where as Kalana Greene tore hers, and pretty much needed to be carried off the court.

It's tough to say what it's like for players that wait a little while without surgery, but I'd guess you are correct, that it would be walking is fine, but running/cutting would be an issue. Most people get the surgery within a week or two.

Constellations
07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
My roommates and I all won tickets to the Los Angeles @ Indiana game on the 31st. Woot!

gummy
07-19-2011, 03:00 PM
My roommates and I all won tickets to the Los Angeles @ Indiana game on the 31st. Woot!

Sweet! Congratulations! I just bought tickets for the IN @ LA game on August 18th. Hopefully we'll both get to see LA get run out of the arena. ;)

Constellations
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Sweet! Congratulations! I just bought tickets for the IN @ LA game on August 18th. Hopefully we'll both get to see LA get run out of the arena. ;)

FO SHO!

gummy
07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't know why Katie Douglas is sucking all of the sudden. But it has to stop and/or Zellous needs to pickup the slack.

BillS
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't know why Katie Douglas is sucking all of the sudden. But it has to stop and/or Zellous needs to pickup the slack.

The Fever need more of an offense than "get the ball to Katie" so the slack CAN be picked up.

gummy
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Bill, our offense is definitely lacking, but I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment of what's been happening.

Last game:

Catchings 22 pts on 8-19 shooting
Phillips 21 points on 7-14 shooting.
Douglas 4pts on 1-8 shooting.

Two things seem to be happening. One, Katie is missing shots she was making earlier in the season. Two, I'd say she is touching the ball less than she was then. Perhaps a little more "get the ball to Katie" mentality would force her out of her slump. She's 10-30 in the last three games, all loses. We have to get more from her. I know it's not all on her - the quality of the screens set for her has degraded recently, for example - but she looks tentative and dejected to me. She's fumbling the ball more. The change seemed to come on so suddenly, I'm somewhat mystified by it.

What I am seeing is some of the old "get the ball to Catch, she'll bail us out," approach. That can work in small doses but an offense it does not make. Zellous passes up shots all the time or fires from the 3pt line instead of taking it toward the basket where she is much more effective. I can't tell how much of that is Zellous being hesitant on offense and how much of it is coaching.

I'm frustrated. Seems like we've got the pieces we need to contend for the most part and we look like world beaters one week and clueless newbies the next. :(

Constellations
07-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Anybody know any good links that I could watch some WNBA games? Live Access doesn't work on my work computer so that's out. HELP?

gummy
07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Anybody know any good links that I could watch some WNBA games? Live Access doesn't work on my work computer so that's out. HELP?

Hmmm, I wonder why Live Access doesn't work - I don't know any other way, sorry. :(

Sookie
07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Hmmm, I wonder why Live Access doesn't work - I don't know any other way, sorry. :(

Yea, no one really bothers to put the streams up, pretty much because Live Access is free.

Why doesn't it work on your computer?

BillS
07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Bill, our offense is definitely lacking, but I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment of what's been happening.

Last game:

Catchings 22 pts on 8-19 shooting
Phillips 21 points on 7-14 shooting.
Douglas 4pts on 1-8 shooting.

Two things seem to be happening. One, Katie is missing shots she was making earlier in the season. Two, I'd say she is touching the ball less than she was then. Perhaps a little more "get the ball to Katie" mentality would force her out of her slump. She's 10-30 in the last three games, all loses. We have to get more from her. I know it's not all on her - the quality of the screens set for her has degraded recently, for example - but she looks tentative and dejected to me. She's fumbling the ball more. The change seemed to come on so suddenly, I'm somewhat mystified by it.

What I am seeing is some of the old "get the ball to Catch, she'll bail us out," approach. That can work in small doses but an offense it does not make. Zellous passes up shots all the time or fires from the 3pt line instead of taking it toward the basket where she is much more effective. I can't tell how much of that is Zellous being hesitant on offense and how much of it is coaching.

I'm frustrated. Seems like we've got the pieces we need to contend for the most part and we look like world beaters one week and clueless newbies the next. :(

Fair enough, I go to the home games but seldom get to watch or listen to the away games, so I don't know if it was approached differently or not.

The last few home games our defense bailed us out because our offense consists too much of getting the ball to one person and having them try to do something, then if they can't they try to pass out to someone else. That has often been Katie as the option, and if she fires a long ball that misses it leads to a change of possession.

The offense needs to focus on creating easier scoring situations so that the shot attempt is higher percentage, rather than just getting the ball to someone who is open (or whose turn it is) for a drive or jumper.

I'll keep an eye out tonight to see what is going on, but it looks like a problem when there isn't a scorer on the floor (meaning the bench has no scoring plays and has to hope they can play stellar defense until one of the hot starters gets back in the game).

Sookie
07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Fair enough, I go to the home games but seldom get to watch or listen to the away games, so I don't know if it was approached differently or not.

The last few home games our defense bailed us out because our offense consists too much of getting the ball to one person and having them try to do something, then if they can't they try to pass out to someone else. That has often been Katie as the option, and if she fires a long ball that misses it leads to a change of possession.

The offense needs to focus on creating easier scoring situations so that the shot attempt is higher percentage, rather than just getting the ball to someone who is open (or whose turn it is) for a drive or jumper.

I'll keep an eye out tonight to see what is going on, but it looks like a problem when there isn't a scorer on the floor (meaning the bench has no scoring plays and has to hope they can play stellar defense until one of the hot starters gets back in the game).

Indiana's offense has never really been that good.
Partially because the Fever's best player is more known for her defense than offense. And Partially because of the coach. And partially because of the point guard..who is also more known for her defense than offense. (Tully)

This season, I thought it would be better, because January has more offense in her arsenal. Although, it's more scoring her own offense than running an offense. And Erin is a combo guard. And I'd still say both of their strongest assets is defense.

I think when January is healthy, with a good offense, things could get better, because the team does have solid offensive pieces. But I doubt they will with the current offense.

I think Katie's just in a slump right now, and doesn't really want the ball.

BillS
07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Indiana's offense has never really been that good.
Partially because the Fever's best player is more known for her defense than offense. And Partially because of the coach. And partially because of the point guard..who is also more known for her defense than offense. (Tully)

This season, I thought it would be better, because January has more offense in her arsenal. Although, it's more scoring her own offense than running an offense. And Erin is a combo guard. And I'd still say both of their strongest assets is defense.

I think when January is healthy, with a good offense, things could get better, because the team does have solid offensive pieces. But I doubt they will with the current offense.

I think Katie's just in a slump right now, and doesn't really want the ball.

Yeah, they've lived and died by their defense for as long as I've been going to games. In my opinion, that's why they haven't been able to push through that final level - defense is necessary but you have to be able to score when it counts against the opponent's defense or it does you little good.

Katie seems to go through these periods every year, though last year I thought it was because she was worn out from the heavy load she had outside the Fever season. A little offensive punch off the bench would really help take some of that pressure off.

Constellations
07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Yea, no one really bothers to put the streams up, pretty much because Live Access is free.

Why doesn't it work on your computer?

My work computer is just so limited to what can be downloaded or uploaded video wise.

Constellations
07-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Fever games are called by 1070 right?

BillS
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Fever games are called by 1070 right?

Yes, usually.

gummy
07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, we're too reliant on our defense, though it should also be pointed out that our transition D has been really bad in these 3 losses. I think that must be part of the reason Sutton-Brown is starting again - she's better than Davenport at getting back up the floor. I hate to potentially disrupt Jessica's offense though. The other big problem area has been giving up offensive rebounds. I honestly think the transition D and offensive rebounds have been bigger problems as of late than our start-stop offense.

We've got to set better screens for Katie, teams are really crowding her on the perimeter and she doesn't have a quick enough first step to compensate. Katie also needs to want it - as Sookie pointed out, she doesn't seem to. Shooting slumps seem to really get in her head.

Constellations
07-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Shannon is really making her presence known tonight! I love it!

Constellations
07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Nice win tonight. That losing streak was dragging.

BillS
07-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Cure for a losing streak is a game against the Sky...

Seriously, the whole "think of the paint as an acid pit with lava underneath it" offense is driving me nuts. It doesn't help that Davenport plays like she weighs about 20 lbs in the post.

And I just noticed tonight that Katie runs under the front court through two screens, gets the ball with a full step on her cover, and stops dead. Of course, up comes the cover AND the screener's defender, for an instant double-team. Gotta either keep moving or take a shot there.

gummy
07-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Cure for a losing streak is a game against the Sky...

Seriously, the whole "think of the paint as an acid pit with lava underneath it" offense is driving me nuts. It doesn't help that Davenport plays like she weighs about 20 lbs in the post.

And I just noticed tonight that Katie runs under the front court through two screens, gets the ball with a full step on her cover, and stops dead. Of course, up comes the cover AND the screener's defender, for an instant double-team. Gotta either keep moving or take a shot there.

Yes re: your Davenport comments though I do think she is getting better at maneuvering in the post. She was productive in the paint tonight and seemed to me to be taking contact a little better than usual.

With Katie, I think what you are seeing is one the main reasons her shot is so woeful right now (and her turnovers are up). Five plus games ago the screener's defender wasn't as consistent in double-teaming right away and when it did she was taking that shot immediately, before the defense could recover. Now teams scouting reports probably report exactly what you saw tonight Bill and the Fever/Katie have yet to adjust.

I also think Tamika was screening for Katie more during her hot shooting streak and I am not sure why that has changed - when Catch rolled to the basket she forced the defender to go with her so Katie couldn't get doubled.

Interesting that Zellous was benched - I hope it was because of her shot selection and that we'll see a little bit more aggressive version of her when she gets worked back into the rotation. Honestly, she reminds me a bit of Brandon Rush - good defensive player, and plenty of under utilized offense talent. :/

Nice to get a win, good to see much better transition D - but I wish Dunn had a talented. offensive minded coach to help her out in that area.

Constellations
07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/podcast.aspx

Interview with Tamika.

Constellations
07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Anybody wanna do some picks tonight? Here's the line-up:

Tuesday 26
San Antonio @ Washington 7:00pm
Atlanta @ Tulsa 8:00pm
Los Angeles @Minnesota 8:00pm
Connecticut @ Chicago 8:00pm
Seattle @ Phoenix 10:00pm

My picks:
San Antonio
Atlanta
Minnesota
Connecticut
Seattle

Constellations
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Nobody else wants to do picks?

Sookie
07-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Dang, never would have guessed Seattle, but Sue likes to put her foot on Phoenix's throat.

Constellations
07-27-2011, 05:06 PM
My picks:
San Antonio
Atlanta
Minnesota
Connecticut
Seattle

Damn I did good. :cool:

Constellations
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Picks for tonight anybody?

My picks:

Phoenix
New York
Atlanta
Indiana
Chicago

Constellations
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
our girls are playing some good basketball tonight.

gummy
07-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Tangela Smith has been SO BAD. Ugh.

What a crappy way to close out the half on the road.

gummy
07-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Hallelujah. That was an ugly game but an important win.

Constellations
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Picks tonight?

My Picks:

Minnesota
Indiana

gummy
07-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Picks tonight?

My Picks:

Minnesota
Indiana

Safe picks, though I didn't expect Minnesota to completely dominate like that and the Fever made us sweat it out. Nice to win at the buzzer like that, go Little Bit! :dance:

BillS
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I am getting a little perturbed at the IndyStar failing to even have the Fever scores on line in their supposed "Fever" section.

gummy
07-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I am getting a little perturbed at the IndyStar failing to even have the Fever scores on line in their supposed "Fever" section.

I noticed that a couple of days ago - I had a heck of a time just finding the Fever section. It's pretty sad when I almost always learn more about the team - quotes and detailed game recaps - from the newspaper of the opposing team.

Scot Pollard
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm at the game now

Very good start

Good crowd at the Fieldhouse too

The Fever always get nice crowds because they're good. Expecting the same for the Pacers soon.

BillS
08-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Great crowd, good old-fashioned a$$ kicking.

Still no indystar.com coverage, I sent a nastygram this morning complaining about it.

Let's not forget that it's a little easier to show a good crowd when the balcony is closed down and the tickets in the lower bowl are in the $15-$20 range. That said, the support for the Fever is fantastic.

BillS
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Re: Star - story from game last night has showed up on the main sports page (kind of hidden under the Top Stories summary, first article in the More Sports section), but the Fever topic page still doesn't have it - they did link to a story about last Thursday's game, finally.

Constellations
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
That game last night was awesome. There was about 9,100 in attendance. Great crowd.

Scot Pollard
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
That was such a fun night and I was happy the Fieldhouse (at least the seats available) were filled. Everyone was getting into it. Just a great time.

As far as WNBA attendance goes because I believe all teams close their upper levels, the Fever have to be towards the top. Everytime I've been to a game or watched it on TV which has been once or twice a week, they have terrific home crowds.

All in all Hoosiers cannot resist good basketball.

Constellations
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
All in all Hoosiers cannot resist good basketball.

:amen:

Constellations
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Maya Moore is really unleashing tonight.

BillS
08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Back on the move!

And thanks to the Indy Star for fixing their links to the Fever articles so everything on their web site is timely once again!

Constellations
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Let's kick some *** tonight girls!

Constellations
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Chris Denari does a really good job as a play-by-play announcer. Yeah?

Constellations
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Winning.

BillS
08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Go Fever! Come home, Tully! And good work Indystar for having all the articles linked properly to the Fever page this morning!

gummy
08-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Tamika had a good game (though not by her standards - "Even though I scored as many points as I did, to come out with zero rebounds - I don't even know when was the last time I had zero rebounds. So you scored, but you didn't take care of business on the boards.'') with 32 points.

She is now the first player in WNBA to achieve milestones of 5,000 points, 2,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists, to say nothing of her being #1 all-time in steals. It's crazy that this woman may very well retire without ever winning league MVP, though is she can snag a WNBA championship I doubt she'll care much about that.

gummy
08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Heading down to L.A. to catch the game tonight - got sweet seats at 50% off!

Gonna wear my Fever t-shirt and probably take a fair amount of **** from Sparks fans. I hope Candace Parker is still working her way back into shape and doesn't go off on us!

Sookie
08-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Tamika had a good game (though not by her standards - "Even though I scored as many points as I did, to come out with zero rebounds - I don't even know when was the last time I had zero rebounds. So you scored, but you didn't take care of business on the boards.'') with 32 points.

She is now the first player in WNBA to achieve milestones of 5,000 points, 2,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists, to say nothing of her being #1 all-time in steals. It's crazy that this woman may very well retire without ever winning league MVP, though is she can snag a WNBA championship I doubt she'll care much about that.

Yea, unfortunately, MVP awards are usually based primarily on offense, and Catchings is really better at defense than offense.

gummy
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Tamika on local TV. I got to see her play in person for the first time in LA this past week. I'm jealous of you locals. Hope she stays involved in the community after retiring a WNBA champion. ;)

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/indy_style/in_indy_now/hear-indiana-night

gummy
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Ugh. That loss to Atlanta hurts.

This feels like a turning point for our season and championship aspirations, and not a good one. Boy do I hope I am wrong about that.

BillS
08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Weakness in offense gets exposed about this time of the season and gets carried through to the playoffs, unfortunately.

They really need to be sticking the easy shots, especially when their offense is so easily kept away from the yellow painted area (or "alligator pit", as I think it has been treated). It doesn't help when you have an opponent getting in rhythm early and dropping points from almost any coverage and ridiculous toss-up.

gummy
08-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Holy crap, the Sun let Tulsa beat them. Thank-you Tulsa. Whew.

ZachChilds
08-30-2011, 03:13 AM
drove from rochester ny to the fieldhouse to see the FEVER !
:dance:

got my erin phillips tshirt ... she has the most potential out of anyone ive seen :box:

Constellations
08-30-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know if anybody watched this game, but the refs practically handed Atlanta the ****ing game.

Shade
09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
If things stand as they currently are, we'll be a first-round out to Atlanta. They just own us.

Constellations
09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Clinched 1st seed baby!

gummy
09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Clinching #1 is great, Atlanta moving into 3rd place is even better. I think we can take out NY in the first round and hope that the Sun dispatch Atlanta.

Constellations
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I know we can take out NY in the first round and hope that the Sun dispatch Atlanta.

Fixed.*

BillS
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Sometimes I'd rather have the hard one be the first one, so you are focused going into it rather than coming off something that fools you.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone underestimates Atlanta at this point.

Sookie
09-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Taurasi has 27 points at the half of the Phoenix/Seattle game. So far, it's one of the best individual performances I've seen from a player (in, any league) in a while...

edit: surprisingly..or not surprisingly knowing the Storm (who seem to be the Western version of the Fever) she only ended up with 36 points. Very good game though.

gummy
09-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Sometimes I'd rather have the hard one be the first one, so you are focused going into it rather than coming off something that fools you.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone underestimates Atlanta at this point.

Yeah, I can see the positives in that approach. Given Erin's ankle though I really would prefer a "warm-up" round.

Angel has been really, really impressive. Unlike some of the other high scorers in the league she also plays pretty decent defense. Some commentator recently said Catch did some mentoring of Angel during the off-season. I don't think that was the best idea...

I listened to Larry Bird talking about why he thinks Tamika is the MVP - is she actually going to win this year? I think she has been deserving in years past but this has been a pretty average year for her. If she wins it'll seem a bit like a make-up ("Sorry we didn't do this those other years!") award.

BillS
09-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Today's game will be a major telling point as far as I'm concerned.

In other years, the last home game could be seen as a breather, but since it is against Atlanta (a team that has pwned the Fever all year) we need to come out and play hard with what we have.

If Atlanta rests their players since they've got no movement in the playoff order riding on the game, so be it. I'm not looking for how seriously Atlanta treats the game, and a lopsided win or even a squeaked out win by the Fever says nothing. It will be the attitude with which the Fever attack the Atlanta defense and get their rotations in place so as not to leave open outside shooters when Atlanta has the ball.

Will anyone else be at the "perfect attendance" gathering after the game?

gummy
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Angel McCoughtry is an absolute assassin. With that diverse skill-set and intensity she reminds me of Tamika with better offense but defense that isn't quite as good. It's scary. As much as it pains me to say it, we are not winning a series against this Atlanta team, home court be damned.

Root hard for Connecticut, and hope that Erin and Shavonte are close to full strength for the first round, because we're gonna need them.

Sookie
09-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Angel McCoughtry is an absolute assassin. With that diverse skill-set and intensity she reminds me of Tamika with better offense but defense that isn't quite as good. It's scary. As much as it pains me to say it, we are not winning a series against this Atlanta team, home court be damned.

Root hard for Connecticut, and hope that Erin and Shavonte are close to full strength for the first round, because we're gonna need them.

I kinda feel bad for Angel.

She carried a team to the Finals, in a year where really..it was just her. The job she did was incredible. And she just had to play the freight train that was Uconn, which she couldn't possibly beat by herself. (I mean the team had Tina, Renee, and Maya on it, along with Kalana Greene who is also a Sun starter, and Tiffany Hayes who will probably be a WNBA starter)

Then, last year, she's the star on her team again, Atlanta really has an unexpected season, and she ran into the freight train that was a healthy Seattle Storm. (And when they are all healthy and playing well, I don't see how any team beats them.)

It's just one of those things..any other year and she's probably carrying her teams to a championship. But it's simple bad timing.

Shade
09-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Tough day for Indy sports fans.

gummy
09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Tough day for Indy sports fans.

Yeah, I couldn't watch the second half of that Colts game.

And now Catch has a "right knee sprain," while Erin and Shavonte are nursing ankle injuries. Aaaaaaaaargh.

gummy
09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Game 1 vs. NY, nice first quarter, up 28-16.

gummy
09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, Tamika just took one hell of an elbow to the face and had trouble standing up afterward.

gummy
09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Tamika is OK. Fever up by 10 at the half. Erin hit a 3 at the end but it looks like she didn't get it off in time.

gummy
09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Our nemesis standing around on offense is back. Fever up by 4.

gummy
09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Fever up 63-58 at the end of the third.

pacergod2
09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
C'mon, girls!

Scot Pollard
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Great shot by Erin Phillips.

gummy
09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Fever win! 74-72.

Great D by Tamika, followed by great O from Erin.

Constellations
09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
FEVER!!!!!

Katie really stepped up tonight too. Great game Catch as well, 15 pts, 6 Boards

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I love how the mic caught Coach Dunn saying "I wish I had a god dang point guard!", then Erin wins the game for us.

gummy
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
I love how the mic caught Coach Dunn saying "I wish I had a god dang point guard!", then Erin wins the game for us.

Yeah, that was rich. I definitely understood her frustration at that moment though, lol.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Feverbasketball.com has some great pictures from last night.

This one has a Reggie vs the Knicks feel to it:

http://www.wnba.com/fever/photos/_FPM8159.jpg

gummy
09-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh, that's a sweet picture. The double Essence and Erin shadows are pretty cool too. I just watched it again this morning.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I had to watch it again this morning too. I didn't even notice the double shadows, but the more I look at that picture the more I love it.

Shade
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Whew.

That is all.

gummy
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
50-41 NY at the half. The reserves mostly sucked in the 2nd quarter when it all went awry. Commentator says Tamika looks like she's hurt and I agree that the knee strain seems to be affecting her lift in particular.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
What an ugly first half. This isn't our pace and you can tell as the turnovers pile up.

Zellous has been huge off the bench, and it's good to see Katie's still feeling it, but we need Catch to find her offense if we're going to avoid a Game 3.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
50-41 NY at the half. The reserves mostly sucked in the 2nd quarter when it all went awry. Commentator says Tamika looks like she's hurt and I agree that the knee strain seems to be affecting her lift in particular.

More reason to avoid a Game 3.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I can't tell what's worse, our play or the officials.

Shade
09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Brutal. Just brutal.

2 points from Tamika ain't gonna cut it.

Sookie
09-18-2011, 06:03 PM
well, CT lost to Atlanta today, so they're in the Western Conference finals.

Excellent game with Sass v. Minny right now. (It's at the half.) Becky Hammon and Lindsay Whalen have been ridiculous. Becky's easily one of my favorite players to watch when she's on like that.

gummy
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Game three is heated, Tamika is FIRED UP!

17-17 at the end of the first quarter.

gummy
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Jessica Davenport has got to stop missing so many bunnies. The reserves haven't come in with the same intensity as the starters.

gummy
09-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Tamika comes back in and it's amazing how much better the defense gets. Indiana up by 1 with two and a half minutes left. Really physical game. I think the first team to back down or relax loses this game.

gummy
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Fever up 40-36 at the half. We got two shot clock violations on NY in those last two possessions, beautiful way to end the half.

Sookie
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the Fever! Too bad CT wasn't there to compete for the Eastern Championship games.

gummy
09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Woooo! Fever by 10, that was a fun game. I'm nervous about Atlanta because they have obviously owned us this year (damnit, CT!), but if we play with the kind of intensity that we showed in this game we've got more than a chance.

Erin is going to push January when she gets back. She's going to have to win that starting spot back for sure.

BillS
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Who's with us at the Fieldhouse Thursday night? Fever will need all the help they can get!

Sookie
09-20-2011, 12:24 AM
The Seattle/Phoenix game was essentially a wrestling match. Sue Bird tied the game with ten seconds to go, only for Candice Dupree to make a shot with a second to go. (Taurasi fouled out with 6 minutes left in the game, so it's amazing that Phoenix held on.)

Last game of the first round is Minny vs. San Antonio. That has been a fun series so far. I can't say which way I'd go. It's usually not safe to bet against Hammon, but Minny is so talented and Whalen's quite composed. Edge to Minny, only because it's in Minny.

gummy
09-20-2011, 01:12 AM
That Seattle/Phoenix game was nuts. I almost turned it off when Phoenix went down 18, glad I didn't. DT is very lucky she didn't get thrown out with a second technical before she fouled out. The refs sucked even harder than usual in that game too.

gummy
09-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Who's with us at the Fieldhouse Thursday night? Fever will need all the help they can get!

Who is buying me a plane ticket from L.A.!?!

Nobody. :(

Yell loud for me. :dance:

Sookie
09-20-2011, 01:21 AM
That Seattle/Phoenix game was nuts. I almost turned it off when Phoenix went down 18, glad I didn't. DT is very lucky she didn't get thrown out with a second technical before she fouled out. The refs sucked even harder than usual in that game too.

You know, I honestly couldn't blame the refs for that. Both teams were out of control. I don't think I've seen a basketball game that rough before.

Yea, she had a bit of a tantrum there. :laugh: The call was such a bad call, I'd almost love to see the NBA do that to Kobe or Lebron in an elimination game in the playoffs..just to see their reaction.

Shade
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
So...will we lose to Atlanta in 3, or in 2?

gummy
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Aaargh, Shade. I'm in my happy place where this is a whole new season and it's "our time" and, and...

Ask me again after the first loss. :censored:

Day-V
09-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Area 55 will be in full force for Thursday, right behind the Atlanta bench.

They're going down.

gummy
09-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Area 55 will be in full force for Thursday, right behind the Atlanta bench.

They're going down.

Don't **** Angel off. :laugh:

Constellations
09-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I say we are going to sweep Atlanta.

BillS
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I say we are going to sweep Atlanta.

If we sweep Atlanta then we will win the championship.

pacer4ever
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
rumor is Catchings is gonna be named MVP of the league today.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/tamika_catchings_2011_wnba_mvp.html
TAMIKA CATCHINGS 2011 WNBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

NEW YORK, Sept. 22, 2011 – Indiana Fever forward Tamika Catchings has been named the 2011 WNBA Most Valuable Player, the WNBA announced today. Catchings received 292 points (21 first place votes) from a national panel of 40 sportswriters and broadcasters.

Connecticut Sun center Tina Charles finished second with 209 points (six first-place votes) and Chicago Sky center Sylvia Fowles finished third with 148 points (six). Seattle Storm guard Sue Bird finished fourth with 106 points (two) and Minnesota Lynx guard Lindsay Whalen finished fifth with 104 points (four).

In her 10th season, all with the Fever, Catchings captured her first MVP Award after finishing among the top three in balloting five times and among the top five in eight different seasons. She was the runner-up in 2003, 2009 and 2010.

This season Catchings led the Fever to the top seed in the Eastern Conference, averaging 15.5 points, 7.1 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.0 steals. The only member of the Fever to lead the team in points, rebounds and assists in the same game, Catchings did so three times. She recorded four double-doubles, and grabbed at least 10 rebounds six times during the 2011 campaign. She shot a career-high .883 from the free throw line and converted .438 of her field goal attempts, the second best percentage of her career. Currently the league’s all-time career steals leader (775), Catchings, who has been voted WNBA Defensive Player of the Year a league-leading four times, was the top vote-getter in this year’s All-Star balloting for the third time in her career.

Throughout her career, the 6-1 forward out of the University of Tennessee has garnered numerous accolades including seven All-Star team selections, two Olympic gold medals and the 2002 WNBA Rookie of the Year Award. Additionally, she was honored as the first recipient of the WNBA’s Dawn Staley Leadership Award in 2008, which is presented to the player who best exemplifies the characteristics of a leader in the community and reflects Staley’s leadership, spirit, charitable efforts and love for the game.

On Aug. 13, in an 82-71 home win versus New York, Catchings tied her career-high of 32 points, making her the sixth player in WNBA history to reach the 5,000-point mark and the first with 5,000 points, 2,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists. She is the only player to rank in the league's all-time career top 10 in points (sixth), rebounds (sixth), assists (ninth), and steals (first).

Players were awarded 10 points for each first-place vote, seven points for each second-place vote, five for third, three for fourth and one for each fifth-place vote received.

In honor of being named the WNBA Most Valuable Player, Catchings will receive $15,000 and a specially-designed trophy.

It's about time. There's no better two-way player in the league. Congrats, Catch!

Sandman21
09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Conseco going to be shaking tonight!

Ownagedood
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Its about freakin time she got it! Shes been consistantly up at the top every year at both sides of the ball.

This should help propel the crowd which will help propel the team tonight. :)

Tho if you ask her she wont give a crap about it.. She wants that championship. I remember a short convo i had with her one time i told her she was gonna get that MVP award the next year and she was just like, "Hmm, how about a championship?" Haha

grace
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Some things never change. I now bequeath to you my Debbie Downer moniker.

Sandman21
09-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Tho if you ask her she wont give a crap about it.. She wants that championship. I remember a short convo i had with her one time i told her she was gonna get that MVP award the next year and she was just like, "Hmm, how about a championship?" Haha
Thats more or less what she said at the press conference I somehow meandered into before the game.

And my god, the refs were AWFUL!

gummy
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice to get that win - seems like sometimes there is a letdown when your star gets the MVP award and I am glad that didn't happen. It's been a good day!

Sandman21
09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Tangela was a beast tonight.... something like 5 threes tonight.

BillS
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Monster important win, and one where we gutted it out despite playing 8-on-5 in a number of places.

My big question - how can there be a "clear path" foul when no one has possession of the ball? Wouldn't we call that a "loose ball" foul?

gummy
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
My big question - how can there be a "clear path" foul when no one has possession of the ball? Wouldn't we call that a "loose ball" foul?

That is exactly what I said! Crappy call.

And Carolyn Peck saying she didn't understand why the Atlanta player (can't remember who it was) got called for a flagrant foul on Catch - oh, I dunno...maybe it's because you can't put other players in a freaking headlock, wrench them around and throw them to the floor by their necks? :hmm:

Sookie
09-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Monster important win, and one where we gutted it out despite playing 8-on-5 in a number of places.

Apparently the actual rule is that so long as the team has possession of the ball, which Atlanta did.

But, I always thought the clear path rule applied if the defender was behind the player. Shannon was ahead of Price(? I think it was Armanti) when she fouled her.

Sandman21
09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
And Carolyn Peck saying she didn't understand why the Atlanta player (can't remember who it was) got called for a flagrant foul on Catch - oh, I dunno...maybe it's because you can't put other players in a freaking headlock, wrench them around and throw them to the floor by their necks? :hmm:
Gee, I don't know, maybe the fact that combined with all the OTHER blown calls last night, Conseco was ready to RIOT if NO flagrant had been called? :D

Absolutely AWFUL officiating. And to think the President of the WNBA was in the house for that!

gummy
09-24-2011, 02:21 PM
It introduces a bit of wild card in Courtney Paris playing, but you gotta think this is a net gain for the Fever, because the little used Paris is probably not going to give them 12 and 10. SWEET.

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2011/de_souza_110924.html

Dream center to compete for Brazil in Olympic qualifying tournament - ATLANTA, September 24, 2011 - Atlanta Dream center Erika de Souza will miss the remainder of the WNBA Eastern Conference Finals, the team announced today.

De Souza, who recorded eight points and 13 rebounds in Game 1 on Thursday, will join the Brazilian national team in Columbia for the 2011 FIBA America Championship for Women. The tournament takes place from September 24 through October 1 and is a qualifier for the 2012 Olympics. It is a single-elimination tournament and de Souza is expected to return to the Dream immediately following play.

The Indiana Fever holds a 1-0 lead over the Dream in the best-of-three conference finals series. Atlanta, the defending Eastern Conference Champions, will host Game 2 on Sunday, September 25 at 3 p.m. Game 3 (if necessary) will be played in Indiana on Tuesday, September 27 at 7 p.m. The 2011 WNBA Finals, a best-of-five series, begin on October 2.

De Souza, a 6-5 center, averaged 11.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.3 blocks during the regular season. She appeared in 32 games, starting all of them. This year in the playoffs, de Souza is averaging 12.0 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.

gummy
09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
I can accept losing, but I hate, hate, HATE to see Tamika being carried off the court like that. Damn. :censored: :mad: :cry:

Shade
09-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I can accept losing, but I hate, hate, HATE to see Tamika being carried off the court like that. Damn. :censored: :mad: :cry:

First Manning, now (possibly) Catchings. Rough year for Indy sports fans so far.

Hicks
09-25-2011, 10:51 PM
What happened?

Sandman21
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Stepped on an Atlanta players foot and went down. Had to be carried off the floor by her teammates.

Sookie
09-26-2011, 01:13 AM
:( didn't see Tamika go down. That's awful.

I've gotta say, if poor Angel's career goes as it usually does, Atlanta will make the finals only to get run over by the freight train that is Minny. (As she did against Uconn, and then last year Seattle.)

gummy
09-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Actually, it was Alison Bales who stepped on and pinned Tamika's left foot. Tamika then shifted her weight back awkwardly onto her right foot. When Bales moved her foot (thus releasing Tamika's left foot), Tamika went down.

Shade
09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Any update on Tamika's status for tonight?

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM

I think she'll play, but I'd be surprised if they gave Atlanta the benefit of knowing whether to gameplan for her or not.

gummy
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM

No word yet, which is somewhat curious as they said there would be an update on Monday. I think Kuq is probably right about the game planning thing.

Edit: Tamika is officially listed as a game time decision.

I have no idea if this is gamesmanship or if there is a chance she will play. If she does I expect her to be pretty limited, but if she can go at all it might be a real emotional boost for the team.

Constellations
09-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Horrible offensively right now. Both teams actually.

HALFTIME

ATL- 39
IND- 35

Constellations
09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Good bye Fever.

gummy
09-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Point guard play has really hurt us in this series.

Ugh. Now the potentially long wait for the NBA begins.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-27-2011, 10:14 PM
The reporter asking Angel McCoughtry how the Dream was able to keep its composure was pretty funny.

gummy
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
And in retrospect, de Souza leaving was not a plus for us. It just made them faster and Castro-Marquez tore us up.

Props to Tamika for gutting out the torn plantar fascia.

Atlanta-Minnesota should be a hell of a series though, I'll probably watch.

Shade
09-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Well, that went...pretty much exactly how I expected.

At least the two best teams are in the Finals. Personally, I hope Minny stomps the **** out of Atlanta.

BillS
09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I hope I don't have to see another game filled with Lin Dunn's "Fear The Paint, Keep Your Thumb In Your Thong" offense.

I thought the beginning of the game was fantastic offensively for the Fever - lay-ups, cutters, moving without the ball - then Atlanta asked for their offense back and got it.

I can see driving into the trap if you have a passing lane open up - it doesn't because everyone waits for a defender to make a mistake. I can see passing around the perimeter to find an open shooter - it doesn't work if you stop one pass short or take too long to decide where to go with the ball, or pick up the dribble too early and end up almost underneath your defender with nowhere to go.

As much as I loved Jessica Davenport in previous years, she was just too slow for the minutes she was playing this year. As much as losing our point guards hurt, I think losing Ebony hurt more.

As for the officiating - no ref in any league is going to bail you out when your offense consists of out-of-control stumbles toward the basket and perimeter shooting.

Sookie
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, that went...pretty much exactly how I expected.

At least the two best teams are in the Finals. Personally, I hope Minny stomps the **** out of Atlanta.

I think they pretty much will.

Phoenix was probably their toughest team, and they stomped on them.

Minny actually has just a ridiculous team.
Whalen, at worst the second best point guard in the league.
Moore, Rookie of the year
Seimone, One of the best SF's in the league. Probably only behind Angel, Diana (if we're calling Taurasi a SF), and Catch
Brunson, she was probably the best PF this season
Taj, still a very good center, better than most team's have. And she's a savy vet.

And then they've got the best bench in the league. Charde Houston, an all star two seasons ago, is last in the rotation. Not because she's a bad player, but because Minny's bench and players are just THAT good.

They won't be able to keep everyone. Right now, a lot of those players are on Rookie contracts (Wiggins, Houston, Moore, at least..) but they are more stacked than any NBA team I've ever seen.

gummy
09-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Yes, sir I think they will and I shall enjoy every moment of it. We're sure to get at least one super-duper melt-down from Angel too.

BillS
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't really agree that Atlanta is a "best" team, they just match up extremely well against the Fever and are thus better than the Fever. Against teams with other lineups/styles, they ain't so hot.

gummy
09-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Catch locked up her 7th WNBA All-Defensive team honor, the only player to be named to the first team every year it has been selected. She was the only player to receive 11 first-team votes this year. She missed out on DPOY to Sylvia Fowles by a hair - Sylvia got 19 of 40 votes, Catch got 18.

Katie made the WNBA All-Defensive Second Team.

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2011/alldefensive_team_110929.html

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2011/fowles_dpoy_110929.html

Constellations
09-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Catch locked up her 7th WNBA All-Defensive team honor, the only player to be named to the first team every year it has been selected. She was the only player to receive 11 first-team votes this year. She missed out on DPOY to Sylvia Fowles by a hair - Sylvia got 19 of 40 votes, Catch got 18.

Katie made the WNBA All-Defensive Second Team.

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2011/alldefensive_team_110929.html

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs/2011/fowles_dpoy_110929.html

None of this matters to them. They didn't win a championship.

gummy
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
None of this matters to them. They didn't win a championship.

Yeah, I know that. It's still Indiana Fever news, and fans care. At least - I do.

Shade
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
http://collegebrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/broom.png

gummy
10-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Ooooo, it must sting to get swept in the Finals two years running, especially when you consistently put together three good quarters of ball and **** it all away in the fourth.

It's a far cry from an Indiana Fever championship, but I'm getting some small measure of satisfaction out of my temporary Minnesota Lynx fandom. ;)

Sookie
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Ooooo, it must sting to get swept in the Finals two years running, especially when you consistently put together three good quarters of ball and **** it all away in the fourth.

It's a far cry from an Indiana Fever championship, but I'm getting some small measure of satisfaction out of my temporary Minnesota Lynx fandom. ;)

It's nice to see players like Whalen, Agustus and Wiggins get a championship. These are players that always lifted their teams to "close" to getting a ring, and never really had enough compared to another team. Also, all very likeable players.