PDA

View Full Version : Postgame: Ugh.

Anthem
04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Listening to Vogel right now. Says Korver killed us on the final play because we couldn't cheat to cover Rose.

Lord Helmet
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Vogel sounds dead.

:(

Hell, I'm dead.

D-BONE
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, I hope we can win Sat. It would suck to play as hard as we have to get swept. But, the Bulls find a way to make plays in crunch time and we do not.

Sookie
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Dang, we could be up 3-0 on these guys. Stinks. At the end of the day, we're losing because they've got the MVP, and all these guys heart, tough play, good coaching and great execution isn't going to change that.

McKeyFan
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Props to Paul George for several reasons. 12 rebounds and several blocks. More great defense. (Probably should have covered Rose at the end and put Dahntay on Korver.)

But let's not forget that with 2 minutes left, as the game was winding down, he took the ball strong to the hole, got fouled, and made both free throws.

That's clutch play down the stretch by our up and coming star. That makes me feel good about the future.

imawhat
Mother****.

itscaleb
Another depressing loss. I'm glad what I saw from granger in crunch time, but we just had some terrible plays drawn up in the last minute. The collison shot and the last possession, couldn't get an open look at the basket what so ever. It will be interesting to see how we respond in game 4.

imawhat
04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I really don't see a moral victory here.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Vogel sounds dead.

:(

Hell, I'm dead.

Why even bother playing the game then. Expect a blowout in Game 4.

crunk-juice
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
http://futurama-madhouse.com.ar/fanart/tfp/224_suicide-booth.png

McKeyFan
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I still think point guard is the key need over the summer.

We don't have a floor general and Collison couldn't set anyone up down the stretch. He's a decent scoring guard but that's not what we need.

Lord Helmet
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Why even bother playing the game then. Expect a blowout in Game 4.
Huh?

I'm dead as in really deflated.

Screw a blowout, we'll go down fighting and then some.

jcouts
04-21-2011, 09:58 PM

We don't have a floor general and Collison couldn't set anyone up down the stretch. He's a decent scoring guard but that's not what we need.

I think backup PG is a bigger issue to address than starting PG for this team after the past 2 games.

A guy who hadn't played in 40 games came in and led the team better than Price in game 2, in my opinion.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
I'd just like to see the Pacers win to temporarily shut up the smug, arrogant television pundits and journalists. They are as bad as the fans.

D-BONE
04-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Yeah...it's hard to tell what we need most. I agree this is an issue. Of course, with all the young guys there's still room for growth. However, I'm not sure we really have a legit starting caliber player at 4/5 period. And we could also use someone who can create his own shot off the dribble.

dal9
04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
needs, in order:

1. PF/C that can give 24 mins a game if need be (Jeff's not going to be around forever)
2. Backup PG (in the Travis Best, Anthony Johnson, Jarret Jack mold)
3. Backup wing(s) if MDJr and BRush are gone

imawhat
04-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Free throw count, series:

Bulls-93
Pacers-62

Jon Theodore
04-21-2011, 10:01 PM

Steve Nash...has probably 3 solid years left in the tank. Nash wouldn't need too play heavy minutes with Collison off the bench and what a great mentor Nash could be also.

I personally think Roy Hibbert needs to go. He doesn't have the killer instinct that guys like D. Jones, Tyler, Granger, Foster, and others have displayed. He is just too damn soft/nice. That is NOT going to change.

yoadknux
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Forget it...
Slow down Rose? I think we did
Not let them outrebound us? we were pretty even...
Home court? Check

And we still lost, even though Granger did his best to keep us in the game. If we couldn't win this one, we probably won't win the fourth...
This 3-0 score is B.S, we deserved Game 1, we deserved Game 3, we battled hard on Game 2, and we lost. And we will probably lose Game 4.
This is so disappointing, I really wanted us to get this game, but we're just not good enough.

Well what can I say, We need to keep our heads up and try to win Game 4, a sweep would really suck, but honestly, I can't imagine a scenario where we beat them:(

flakcatcher
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
This one really, really hurt. But boy, it feels good to care this much.

Lord Helmet
04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I just want a win.

Merz
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I think backup PG is a bigger issue to address than starting PG for this team after the past 2 games.

A guy who hadn't played in 40 games came in and led the team better than Price in game 2, in my opinion.

Of course you realize, by upgrading the starting point guard, the backup spot would be upgraded as well with Collison becoming the backup.

GizzyStardust
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
I think Vogel's biggest mistake tonight was putting in Jones to defend Rose and switching George over to Korver. Should have kept George on Rose (who seems to have the length and quicker feet to cut off angles of penetration) and brought in Rush instead to chase Korver. But, hindsight is always 20/20, I suppose.

Either way, our boys have played the team with the best record in the NBA down to the final minute in all three games. I never expected us to be nearly so competitive. For our purposes, this series is a success, even if we do get swept.

CoolHand
If we play defense all next season like we have this series, watch out....

imawhat
Granger on the podium now. I think he's gotten too used to losing in the past couple of seasons.

BringJackBack
04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
We had it. Then DC threw up some **** when Danny was red hot.

Ehh it's all good though. We'll learn and that doesn't make DC suck or anything. He's a second year guy and he's greatly improved from the beginning of the season IMO.

Dr. Hibbert
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
It would help if the Pacers got anything on offense out of Hibbert and Hansbrough. Thought Hibbert was solid on defense, but damn...Jeff Foster outplayed both of them on offense, and that's unacceptable.

Ozwalt72
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
This one hurts so much worse than the previous two.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Granger on the podium now. I think he's gotten too used to losing in the past couple of seasons.

Not good. This team needs to get rid of that loser's mentality.

D-BONE
04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm really concerned about Hansbrough from a size / physicality standpoint. He's got a great motor and really mixes it up, but I just feel like he's dwarfed by Boozer and most PFs. Can he overcome this? Particularly on defense?

tfarks
04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Pacers have the pieces. Let's not forget that there's been barely any draft talk, almost all basketball talk. This is as good for us as it is for the players. You have to lose in the 1st round for a year or 2, the Pacers are earning their due. I sat behind 2 doucher Bull fans all night and the only thing they had to say before they left was damn, you guys have a good team.

CooperManning
04-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I forgot how much playoff series create rivalries. I can hardly look at Rose, Boozer, Noah, and Korver without getting angry.

ndcoltsnpacers
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
In the parking garage, probably not going to get out of here for another 3 hours. I really don't want to be around all these ****ers. Someone help me.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Pacers have the pieces. Let's not forget that there's been barely any draft talk, almost all basketball talk. This is as good for us as it is for the players. You have to lose in the 1st round for a year or 2, the Pacers are earning their due. I sat behind 2 doucher Bull fans all night and the only thing they had to say before they left was damn, you guys have a good team.

Bulls fans should understand this. They got steamrolled by Cleveland in the first round last year and lost to a KG-less Celtics team the year before that.

righteouscool
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm really concerned about Hansbrough from a size / physicality standpoint. He's got a great motor and really mixes it up, but I just feel like he's dwarfed by Boozer and most PFs. Can he overcome this? Particularly on defense?

I really think he is a 6th man of the year type player. If the Pacers could get a legit above average PF this series is 3-0 in the Pacer's favor.

CooperManning
04-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Hansbrough will never be a starting PF if he can't consistently knock down that jumper. Sometimes he's dead on, like game 1, but he's got to do it regularly. I love the kid's hustle, but let's face it if he's not hitting and he's an average (below average?) rebounder, he should just be a spark off the bench.

hoosierguy
I forgot how much playoff series create rivalries. I can hardly look at Rose, Boozer, Noah, and Korver without getting angry.

Faces only a mother could love, and I bet that is exceptionally difficult for Noah's mom.

AesopRockOn
This is like a terrible ending to an otherwise compelling trilogy. They just couldn't get the third movie right. Too many villains, not the right hero. We need a reboot.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM
In the parking garage, probably not going to get out of here for another 3 hours. I really don't want to be around all these ****ers. Someone help me.

Nothing I can do for you, sorry. Use this as a learning experience in self control.

DocHolliday
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

So who's the savior, Raymond Farking Felton?:rolleyes: Just get a better backup with some size. DC can lead the team just fine.

sopgy
04-21-2011, 10:19 PM

I couldn't agree more. I want them to get creamed in the next round. Can't stand them anymore. Especially Boozer.

IndyPacer
04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
needs, in order:

1. PF/C that can give 24 mins a game if need be (Jeff's not going to be around forever)
2. Backup PG (in the Travis Best, Anthony Johnson, Jarret Jack mold)
3. Backup wing(s) if MDJr and BRush are gone

I agree with that order of priorities. I think those areas could be addressed within a year or two. I hope we get a decent free agent and another good draft pick or two. The right PF/C will be the toughest to find.

hoosierguy
04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I couldn't agree more. I want them to get creamed in the next round. Can't stand them anymore. Especially Boozer.

Probably not going to happen. ECF at the earliest.

imawhat
****. Rose is on the podium now. He's been playing sick....with a cold.

tfarks
Nothing I can do for you, sorry. Use this as a learning experience in self control.

Never use the parking garage. In Indy there's so many places to park that can give you a quick exit. Like the Eli Lilly parking lot. Live and learn good sir, until then, stay strong.

CooperManning
04-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Me too, but then we have that whole "but if they get killed in the next round, we look like chumps" thing. I'd be fine with them blowing out ATL/ORL in every game, then losing to Boston in the ECF.

Trophy
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
What sucks is that it seems like we don't even pay attention to Korver.

Most of his 3's are because he's wide open.

Hoop
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
I would just like to see Hibbert grow some balls and stop putting up weak @ss shots. Dunk the darn ball Roy!

Trophy
04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I would just like to see Hibbert grow some balls and stop putting up weak @ss shots. Dunk the darn ball Roy!

He really needs to put on strength to give him confidence.

Being 7-2, that's something a center should take advantage of.

Roy plays like he's 7 inches shorter.

Derek2k3
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a question for you seasoned vets.

I've been to several Pacers Playoff games since 2001, but my wife of 3 years had never experienced it. So, after much deliberation, I bought tix at the last minute and ended up in 221, Row 11. Hey, no such thing as a bad seat.

Well, heres the issue:

The game was great. But the Bulls fans around us were awful, completely trashed and disrespectful. Early in the first quarter, a Pacers fan shouted "PACERS" directly at one of the Bulls fans in front of us. Well, the Bulls fan responded by threatening to "kick the **** out of you!" and repeatedly saying, "Do it again, I dare you. Little *****!"

Well, I was able to calm both down and get back to what was shaping up to be a great game. However, the Bulls fan begins chanting "Hibbert is a ****y, **** the Pacers! You guys SUCK ***!!

Then, a Pacers fan who had drank a bit too much began chanting "**** the Bulls" over and over. Everyone around him insisted he stop, but the idiot Bulls fan began threatening to come over there and start something, going so far as to get up and start moving. Well, after about 30 seconds of terrible profanity and threats, I stepped in and shoved the drunk Pacers fan out of the way, and told the Bulls fan to chill or get ejected. Right on cue, security shows up and drags the Bulls fan off. Well, the Bulls fan was able to LIE to security (Apparently, I didn't hear the words out of his mouth.) Security let him stay, and ejected the Pacers fan. Just like that.

First issue: Bulls fan needed to be gone as well. Period. They both needed bounced.

Second issue: The Bulls fan was calm until the third quarter when he got mouthy again, including flipping the crowd off REPEATEDLY. Well, security comes back because they had recieved MULTIPLE complaints (There were little kids, like 3 to 6, and he was shouting F words like it was what kept him alive). All security does is warn him to calm down, and leaves. At the end of the game, he, showing great originality, shouted "F YOU!" over and over at Pacers fans.

This was the first ever playoff game my wife had attended, and I had to be on edge the entire time because these disrespectful and DRUNK Bulls fans.

Who can I contact regarding this? I'm coming back to the game Saturday, should I try to speak with Customer Service?

I know I could just let it go, but for all the times I've been to Conseco, this was the one time where I was genuinely concerned something would happen.

By the way, the fans were in section 221, row 10, seats 5-8. Even the Usher was shocked security allowed the Bulls fans to stay.

Advice? I'm really bummed. Incredible game! Loved it! But, the Chicago fans really hurt the experience.

imawhat
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Roy's season has been rather disappointing to me. He's the only Pacer that's failed to meet my expectations, and he's failed by a long shot.

Big guys develop at a much slower rate, he's very coachable, etc. etc., but I'm not sure he has the toughness upstairs. All you have to do is be a little physical with him and he mentally shuts down.

I don't think he had more than two or three solid games all season. I'm starting to have doubts.

imawhat
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Watching the Philly game now. The Pacers crowd was much better tonight. Much better.

Hoop
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Remember people that Tyler is basically a rookie playing time wise, going against a 9 year veteran all star who has maybe 30 pounds on him and he's holding his own for the most part. He'll get better.

How many playoff teams EVER have a starting lineup as young as we do, plus take Foster out of the 2nd unit and it's just as young. Starting and back PG in their 2nd year, unheard of, seriously.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Its really showing that Danny is one of the only veterans on the team. The young guys while playing great defense are playing terrible on offense. Like I said in another thread, Hibbert/Tyler/Paul were 7 for 33 tonight. That is abysmal. McBob came up big and I think we should have played him more tonight. Jones had that nice stretch too. But as three starters, you need to shoot way better than that. Its nearly impossible to win when they shoot that badly. Speaks volumes of how good our defense was.

Trophy
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Watching the Philly game now. The Pacers crowd was much better tonight. Much better.

I was impressed.

Shows how much everyone loves Pacers playoff basketball in Indy and the Pacers playing some good basketball.

The Philly fans have no intentions of shutting up the Heat fans.

The Pacers fans clearly shut the Bulls/Rose fans up.

It was deafening even to watch on TV.

DemonHunter1105
04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
This is what pisses me off about Bulls' fans. A guy behind me didn't even know where Tyler went to school. If you are any fan of basketball you know about Tyler Hansbrough somehow. There is no way he is not a band-wagoner for the current MVP.

Such a tool. That is all.

Hoop

Being 7-2, that's something a center should take advantage of.

Roy plays like he's 7 inches shorter.
Yep, He needs strength for sure. Balance lessons if there is such a thing.

IMO He does not need more weight though. It would slow him down more, and he's not exactly fast to start with. More weight would be bad for his feet and knees also.

BlueNGold

Yes, we have not paid enough attention to him but it's not like he's an easy cover. He doesn't need to be wide open to hit shots. He's one of the best shooters in the NBA. If we had Korver, we would be winning this series.

cdash
04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Walking out of the balcony with the Bulls fans chanting and clapping and waving in my face was awful. If they meet up with Miami, I'm the biggest ****ing Heat fan on the planet. Chanting MVP...ugh. I wanted to hit every single one of those mother****ers.

Trophy
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Walking out of the balcony with the Bulls fans chanting and clapping and waving in my face was awful. If they meet up with Miami, I'm the biggest ****ing Heat fan on the planet. Chanting MVP...ugh. I wanted to hit every single one of those mother****ers.

Chicago fans have no respect. I'm a White Sox fan I'll admit.

DemonHunter1105
04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh man, I am glad I am not the only one. If the Heat meet the Bulls later on, I want LeCry to annihilate the Bulls. Even the Celtics beating them would make me happy.

idioteque
04-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Yep, I want Lebron, Wade, and Bosh to stomp on their ****ing balls. **** the Bulls, **** New York.

BlueNGold
04-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Yep, He needs strength for sure. Balance lessons if there is such a thing.

IMO He does not need more weight though. It would slow him down more, and he's not exactly fast to start with. More weight would be bad for his feet and knees also.

Roy is just the type of player I expect to improve with more years in the league as his body matures. He's already improved immensely from just a year ago even though he's not effective in this series. At 24, he has many years ahead of him in the NBA and by the time he's 26 or 27 he will have a highly refined game with better balance. I have no doubt we will see these guys in future playoffs and we will overcome them.

Major Cold
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM

:confused: Self-Control? Coming from you, the Yoda of Errant Emotional Posts, I find this confusing.

pacerDU
04-21-2011, 10:48 PM
As tough as it was to lose this game (and the other two to be honest), I'm proud of this team.

I know nobody wants to hear or talk about moral victories, but this is one of the youngest teams in the league. They have to start somewhere and the experience they're getting in this series is exactly what they need to take it to the next level.

Let's hope we don't have a prolonged lockout next season because all this team needs is another stud and we're rolling! I know that's easier said than done, but we're in as good a position as possible to add that piece.

....and remember - we still have game 4 and nothing to lose :D

Anthem
04-21-2011, 10:51 PM

He's wide open because we're trying to slow down Rose.

If it was easy, they wouldn't be the best team in the league.

Hoop
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Roy is just the type of player I expect to improve with more years in the league as his body matures. He's already improved immensely from just a year ago even though he's not effective in this series. At 24, he has many years ahead of him in the NBA and by the time he's 26 or 27 he will have a highly refined game with better balance. I have no doubt we will see these guys in future playoffs and we will overcome them.
Yeh, you're right. I think he'll get a lot better with time too.

I'm just a little more disappointed in him right now than the rest of the starters. Not down enough to have a knee reaction and say he sucks and needs to be traded. I just think he can play better than he has, right now.

Anthem
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm so glad we didn't tank this year. You have no idea.

flox
04-21-2011, 10:54 PM

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!

#vent

righteouscool
04-21-2011, 10:56 PM

I think it's a smack in the face to the young players. George in particular. Dude is so close to finishing his shots.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 10:58 PM

I've been saying it all season, he needs to strengthen his core and his legs. He just lacks the strength right now and doesn't have the weight he used too use in the post. I expect him to do it this off season. He will benefit greatly from added strength. His game should really come together from it.

BlueNGold
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
There is a lot of talk about the Pacers being a young team. Initially I considered this a lame excuse, but looking at the Bulls roster, we do look young. Other than DRose, 4 of our starters...yes starters...are younger than any other key Bull player. Combine this with the fact that most of the potential we have is in a 20 year old rookie...I think the future looks pretty solid.

George: 20
Collison: 23
Hibbert: 24
Hans: 25
Granger: 28
DJones: 30
Foster: 34

Yes, Dahntay and Jeff are seasoned players who are critical in the post season.

Rose: 22
Gibson: 25
Deng: 26
Noah: 26
Boozer: 29
Korver: 30
Thomas: 38

dal9
04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
He's wide open because we're trying to slow down Rose.

If it was easy, they wouldn't be the best team in the league.

i don't think he is wide open per se, but he's got 4-6" on AJ and DC (twss), and he is shooting over them...there pacers cant put the point guard on anyone else, so all you can do is try to deny him the ball--but once he catches it we're assed out

beast23
04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Watching Hibbert play against the Bulls frontcourt, I think it is evident that he needs additional strength.

I would like to see a change in Hibbert's mental approach to the game as well. Hibbert will never be a player that can flat out go through guys and he is not quick enough to be a finesse player. His game is dependent on his ability to go higher than his defender to shoot or to put up a hook shot. The change that I'd like to see is for Hibbert to go up strong anywhere near the basket and to attempt to dunk as much as possible.

This will require additional strength and a change in his mental approach to the game. I want to see him become the player that either scores under the basket or gets to the line for a couple of freebies.

I fully expect Hibbert to come back next season as an even better player. Obviously having played only a single season, everyone would expect George to return next season as a much-improved player. I think the same is true of Collison as he enters his third season.

Hansbrough is playing very physically at both ends of the floor, but he the best improvement he can make would be to become more consistent in his mid-range game.

The Pacers have a lot of good players that still have significant room for improvement. What they need is to add leadership, a frontcourt defender and a closer to the roster.

flox
04-21-2011, 11:11 PM
There is a lot of talk about the Pacers being a young team. Initially I considered this a lame excuse, but looking at the Bulls roster, we do look young. Other than DRose, 4 of our starters...yes starters...are younger than any other key Bull player. Combine this with the fact that most of the potential we have is in a 20 year old rookie...I think the future looks pretty solid.

George: 20
Collison: 23
Hibbert: 24
Hans: 25
Granger: 28
DJones: 30
Foster: 34

Yes, Dahntay and Jeff are seasoned players who are critical in the post season.

Rose: 22
Gibson: 25
Deng: 26
Noah: 26
Boozer: 29
Korver: 30
Thomas: 38

I mean thats a good point and all but two quick counterpoints:

Durant/Westbrook: 22
Ibaka/Harden: 21
Thabo/Perk: 26

And 2:

While that team is older than ours, I don't think that our best/peak's will equal their best/peaks.

I mean I know we have our cap room to land our own version of Boozer, but still..that means Collison/Granger/Roy = Rose/Deng/Noah...and I'm not sure if our Collision/Granger/Roy in prime is going to equal that.

cdash
04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Kyle Korver has been the bane of my existence this series.

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I still don't understand why there was never an adjusment in who to have guarding Korver :confused:

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I still don't understand why there was never an adjusment in who to have guarding Korver :confused:

You have to put AJ or Collison on someone. They can't guard Deng. Sometimes an adjustment just isn't possible based upon the personel

Anthem
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!

#vent
Absolutely. Even though we didn't get there, I'm glad we pushed for the playoffs the last two years. I would hate for the guys to have ever gotten the idea that losing was ok.

croz24
04-21-2011, 11:19 PM
i'd comment but then it'd just be a repetition of everything i have said the last 3 years... fan turnout was disgusting i might add.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Well what adjustment can be made. We needed a point in the game. George/Jones had to be on Rose. Its pick your poison, do you have George/Jones on Rose and DC/Price on Korver or vice versa? You want George/Jones on Rose. And at the end of the game we took a point guard out and put George on Korver and Jones on Rose.

vnzla81
You have to put AJ or Collison on someone. They can't guard Deng. Sometimes an adjustment just isn't possible based upon the personel

I understand that, but wasn't AJ defending Korver better than DC? I thought AJ did a good job on him.

Mr_Smith
I wonder how the "gone fishing" picture for the pacers is gonna be like from TNT.:laugh:

flox
04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
True. I can live with Price in there if he is guarding their opposing two, but I think if we are talking strictly offense/defense, I want Ford in there.

I would not be unhappy with Ford/Price switching offense/defense in crunch time possessions.

Absolutely. Even though we didn't get there, I'm glad we pushed for the playoffs the last two years. I would hate for the guys to have ever gotten the idea that losing was ok.

Agreed 100%

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Just got back from the game. Frustrated is the word. Not mad, the guys played as hard as they could. Frustrated with Roy, we needed him tonight, we got him the ball in great position over and over again, the guys and the coachingstaff did a great jon getting him the ball, but he couldn't do anything with it.

Frustrated by the Bulls fans sitting behind me. funny how they hate Boozer though

Frustrated that we don't have a player who can score late in games. Although danny was great

Frustated that we have small point guards

the crowd was pretty good tonight, not great, average for a playoff crowd in a close game.

Frustrated that the Bulls could close the series out on our floor

Anthem
04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't think [Roy] had more than two or three solid games all season. I'm starting to have doubts.
This is a RIDICULOUS overstatement.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 11:32 PM

How quickly people forget his entire month of November. In the beginning of the season is when he had the most strength and weight. As he lost more weight from season play is when he started to become more inconsistent. He just needs to get stronger.

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Just got back from the game. Frustrated is the word. Not mad, the guys played as hard as they could. Frustrated with Roy, we needed him tonight, we got him the ball in great position over and over again, the guys and the coachingstaff did a great jon getting him the ball, but he couldn't do anything with it.

Frustrated by the Bulls fans sitting behind me. funny how they hate Boozer though

I talked to a Bulls fan that was close to my seat and he didn't like Boozer either, the guy told me that Tyler Hansbrough is a beast and that Danny Granger is just OK.

flox
04-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Even I have to agree with this, and I'm one of the biggest Roy detractors on this board.

With that said, if Roy continues to play like this- he is not the answer at the 5.

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 11:36 PM
I was impressed.

Shows how much everyone loves Pacers playoff basketball in Indy and the Pacers playing some good basketball.

The Philly fans have no intentions of shutting up the Heat fans.

The Pacers fans clearly shut the Bulls/Rose fans up.

It was deafening even to watch on TV.

I've been to every home Pacers playoff game and tonights crowd for a playoff game was average

I've been to games when the crowd counts down the clock, during warmups, I've been to games where the crowd stood the whole fourth quarter. It was average tonight

graphic-er
04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
I've been to every home Pacers playoff game and tonights crowd for a playoff game was average

I've been to games when the crowd counts down the clock, during warmups, I've been to games where the crowd stood the whole fourth quarter. It was average tonight

Lol very true, but for being last in attendance, this was a pretty good crowd. Rather pathetic though to see how many Bulls fans were there. Especially in the lower bowl. I made sure to upgrade my tickets from the balcony to the fanzone section and there was still a good amount of Bulls fans in that section too.

graphic-er
04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
The Korver problem could be solved fairly easily if you just make sure your PG sticks with him. Too many times DC and AJ cheated off, he has a very quick release. Hard to catch him off the screens though, but there were several times DC and AJ never picked him up before the 3pt line as the bulls brought the ball up court. You don't let spot up shooters come down and spot up uncovered.

Sookie
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
The Korver problem could be solved fairly easily if you just make sure your PG sticks with him. Too many times DC and AJ cheated off, he has a very quick release. Hard to catch him off the screens though, but there were several times DC and AJ never picked him up before the 3pt line as the bulls brought the ball up court. You don't let spot up shooters come down and spot up uncovered.

When Korver went through his stretch of points, DC was right on him. DC was just too short.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM

Give Korver credit, he is one of the best in the NBA at running around off a screen and just getting open. Thats why he is in the league.

Isaac
04-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I will let Reggie Miller speak for me:

"Former Pacer Reggie Miller said he remembers the early 1990s when his team would host the Bulls at Market Square Arena and the crowd would be about 60 percent Bulls fans. He said that changed when the Pacers proved to be legitimate Eastern Conference contenders."

This both applies to the crowd and the team. We are at the beginning of something. It hurts now, but we should be very optimistic. This team will rival the 90s team, and maybe achieve that one thing those teams couldn't.

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Quick - can someone tell me the last time the Pacers have trailed 0-3 in a best out of 7 playoff series. Really remarkable when you think about it.

BlueNGold
04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I mean thats a good point and all but two quick counterpoints:

Durant/Westbrook: 22
Ibaka/Harden: 21
Thabo/Perk: 26

And 2:

While that team is older than ours, I don't think that our best/peak's will equal their best/peaks.

I mean I know we have our cap room to land our own version of Boozer, but still..that means Collison/Granger/Roy = Rose/Deng/Noah...and I'm not sure if our Collision/Granger/Roy in prime is going to equal that.

I agree that OKC is young and with far more talent and potential. It's not close even if Paul turns into Durant-lite. But I'm not really saying the Pacers are the babies of the league. What I am saying is that I thought the Bulls were not that much older...but they really are if you just count the future of the teams.

As for peaks, I think we need to wait until George matures, we use the cap space and potentially move Granger for more youth. I agree with the current crop our peak is going to be lower...but what I am hoping is that the Paul George era is just starting. IOW, I expect the team to continue to have turnover and add more talent...so in a sense you are right. This particular group is not taking us anywhere. George plus something else beyond Danny is going to be necessary.

Derek2k3
04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
A few thoughts after reading some of these replies:

1.) Someone commented that "Crowd turnout was terrible." Well, I suppose thats one way to look at it. Another way is this: There aren't 18,000 loyal fans. Look at the stadium during the regular season. Its going to take a season of better than .500 ball and a postseason victory or two before the "so-so" fans come out. That said, the turnout wasn't pathetic, Bulls fans getting the MVP chant going often were drowned out with boo's. Its been a long time since this city has had a winner, give em some time. Maybe I'm just too optimistic. This is a new era. Reggie isn't here, new generation of fans. Everyone goes through times like the Pacers have the past few years.

2.) I'm surprised at the Roy bashing. I've always said Roy needs more looks, like 15 a game, before we can determine his progress. Great centers don't develop by getting a look here and there. Shaq and Ewing each got 16+ attempts per game from the very start, not to mention a lot of minutes. Roy has shown great skill, and he has worn down a bit. But everyone is forgetting how great he was for the first couple months of the season. It takes time, to have doubts now is premature. Look at last season compared to this one, the improvement is astronomical. Sure, if he plays like he did tonight, one of his worst games, he won't be the answer. But I choose to look at the body of work.

3.) Anyone see the Bulls fan that got ejected after throwing the tee shirt at the Bulls bench? Utterly classless, I'm rooting for ANYONE against the Bulls. Screw them.

pacer4ever
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
smash mouth defense anyone??

McGrawDHBulls Mike McGraw
Bulls credited with just 16 points in paint tonight vs. Indiana. Their regular-season low for points in the paint was 26.

cdash
04-22-2011, 12:48 AM
I will say this for the refs: They are letting them play. I thought the refs were solid tonight. I love physical play and I love when they don't bog the game down with fouls.

joeyd
I like Roy. He is someone who gives the extra effort and wants to win, but it's more than just strength that is the issue. He is making too many mistakes both with and without the ball. He seems to be in constant foul trouble from the opening minutes, and you know its just a matter of time; granted some of the calls this series have been questionable, but some of the fouls he picked up were just stupid. I couldn't believe how poor Jeff had been playing his butt off, and gets all of a 10 second rest before he had to pick himself up and replace Roy b/c Roy commits another foul. Roy needs to become a smart basketball player that plays with "controlled aggression." I'm not even going to comment on his offensive issues except to say that if he makes half of his layups/dunks, we likely go into the last 2 minutes with a nice lead.

ilive4sports
A few thoughts after reading some of these replies:

1.) Someone commented that "Crowd turnout was terrible." Well, I suppose thats one way to look at it. Another way is this: There aren't 18,000 loyal fans. Look at the stadium during the regular season. Its going to take a season of better than .500 ball and a postseason victory or two before the "so-so" fans come out. That said, the turnout wasn't pathetic, Bulls fans getting the MVP chant going often were drowned out with boo's. Its been a long time since this city has had a winner, give em some time. Maybe I'm just too optimistic. This is a new era. Reggie isn't here, new generation of fans. Everyone goes through times like the Pacers have the past few years.

2.) I'm surprised at the Roy bashing. I've always said Roy needs more looks, like 15 a game, before we can determine his progress. Great centers don't develop by getting a look here and there. Shaq and Ewing each got 16+ attempts per game from the very start, not to mention a lot of minutes. Roy has shown great skill, and he has worn down a bit. But everyone is forgetting how great he was for the first couple months of the season. It takes time, to have doubts now is premature. Look at last season compared to this one, the improvement is astronomical. Sure, if he plays like he did tonight, one of his worst games, he won't be the answer. But I choose to look at the body of work.

3.) Anyone see the Bulls fan that got ejected after throwing the tee shirt at the Bulls bench? Utterly classless, I'm rooting for ANYONE against the Bulls. Screw them.

Roy got 12 shots tonight... He only played 23 minutes too. I don't think its time to bail on the guy, but he didn't play well tonight or in the series.

joeyd
04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Now, having just ranted about Roy...I'm so stoked to see what George can do next season. He really got under Rose's skin; something that other players rarely can do. He is going to be the complete player. Clutch shooting, rebounding, the athleticism....such potential!

And Vogel? I think he came in with an excellent plan. These games have been chess games, and he has matched the likely COY every step of the way.

I'm going to start another thread about Vogel. As a fan, I really want to try to make my opinion known about this guy in Game 4. He deserves a shot as coach.

pacer4ever
04-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I will say this for the refs: They are letting them play. I thought the refs were solid tonight. I love physical play and I love when they don't bog the game down with fouls.

On the Bulls board they think the Pacers play to hard and should be fined for dirty play. I just keep :lol: when i see that ****. One poster said we should get fined for "gooney play". I guess he didnt see Rodman MJ and Pippen. That basketball is the type of basketball i love physical hard nosed b ball.

Eleazar
04-22-2011, 01:00 AM
On the Bulls board they think the Pacers play to hard and should be fined for dirty play. I just keep :lol: when i see that ****. One poster said we should get fined for "gooney play". I guess he didnt see Rodman MJ and Pippen. That basketball is the type of basketball i love physical hard nosed b ball.

I guess they don't watch Boozer too closely. You can't count how many times he just blatantly pushes the other player.

Anthem
04-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Their own coach said in the post game pressed that it was just good hard playoff basketball.

pacer4ever
04-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Their own coach said in the post game pressed that it was just good hard playoff basketball.
I agree anyone who truly likes b ball has enjoyed this series.

Eleazar
04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Does anyone else think it would have been a better idea to play McRoberts at the end instead of Hansbrough based on how they were playing? That was one of Vogel's strong suits in the regular season, going with who is playing better at the end of the game which I feel has completely gone by the wayside in the playoffs. In the first game I thought Rush was playing heads and shoulders better than George, but George played at the end. This game it was McRoberts over Hansbrough, but Hansbrough was in at the end.

TheDon
04-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Does anyone else think it would have been a better idea to play McRoberts at the end instead of Hansbrough based on how they were playing? That was one of Vogel's strong suits in the regular season, going with who is playing better at the end of the game which I feel has completely gone by the wayside in the playoffs. In the first game I thought Rush was playing heads and shoulders better than George, but George played at the end. This game it was McRoberts over Hansbrough, but Hansbrough was in at the end.

I think Vogel still has these conundrums that he runs into every now and then but he eventually figures it out. Like earlier in the year he was afraid to make changes as he saw fit, cause Jim would just yank and pull players in and out of the lineup and I think Vogel was very conscious about any changes and also was trying to give players every opportunity to play through their mistakes. I think with those situations about riding the so-called "hot hand" late in the game is probably what he wants to do but probably knows this is the playoffs and probably thinks he should stick with his rotations from his game plan.

ilive4sports
04-22-2011, 01:39 AM
I agree anyone who truly likes b ball has enjoyed this series.

It's incredible that a series this close is 3-0. These have been three great and close games.

cdash
04-22-2011, 01:42 AM

Up in my section the Bulls fans were doing an outrageous amount of *****ing about the hard fouls that Jeff Foster lays on people. I just smiled. I love Foster, I really, really do. That dude learned his trade from the Davis brothers. He doesn't take any **** from people either.

imawhat
04-22-2011, 01:44 AM

Maybe to you, but like I said, I had high expectations for him this season. He's 7'2" with a near unstoppable shot. He learned how to play defense straight up without fouling. He got quicker. All of the pieces were in place for him to have a fantastic season on both ends of the court.

I literally remember three games this season that stuck out to me as solid, reaching his potential on both ends games. The first was the game out here vs. the Lakers where he hit the go-ahead basket off the TJ Ford pick and roll. The second was a good game against Nazr Mohammed, who he typically struggles against. The third was a strong game against the Pistons. I think both of those games were pretty close together, not long after Vogel took over.

He had a couple of other higher scoring games like the first game against SA, but if you remember Duncan completely torched him. Did Tim even miss a shot in that game? He didn't in the second half. He had another one later in the season against Boston, be he scored almost all of his points in the first half and disappeared in the second.

But unfortunately I remember far more games where he was completely ineffective. I think he had a couple of scoreless games this season, which is almost unbelievable. There were lots of games where he had a negative impact and Jeff came in and outplayed him on old legs and a bad back.

Just my opinion.

Derek2k3
04-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Up in my section the Bulls fans were doing an outrageous amount of *****ing about the hard fouls that Jeff Foster lays on people. I just smiled. I love Foster, I really, really do. That dude learned his trade from the Davis brothers. He doesn't take any **** from people either.

All the idiot bulls fans in my section yammered about how "hurt" Deng had to be. Ridiculous bit of acting. I think we have effectively established that a majority of bulls fans at the game were idiots and uneducated in regards to the nba playoffs. Hell, have the Bulls won a series without Jordan?

cdash
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
All the idiot bulls fans in my section yammered about how "hurt" Deng had to be. Ridiculous bit of acting. I think we have effectively established that a majority of bulls fans at the game were idiots and uneducated in regards to the nba playoffs. Hell, have the Bulls won a series without Jordan?

A few years ago they won one series.

righteouscool
04-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Hibbert looks like a dominant center one game and a D-leaguer the next. I wish he'd just find a consistent middle ground.

cdash
04-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Hibbert looks like a dominant center one game and a D-leaguer the next. I wish he'd just find a consistent middle ground.

He really is a feast or famine guy. Hopefully he can develop some consistency because we are a much harder team to defend when he is a threat in the post.

mcampbellarch
04-22-2011, 01:54 AM
foster can trap with the point instead of just show - he must teach this to josh and roy before he moves to the office

cdash
04-22-2011, 01:59 AM
By the way, I thought Dahntay Jones really gave us a good spark tonight on both sides of the ball. I just like that guy. He can get into hero mode but he gets in people's heads on defense and he has some much needed swagger than Rush just doesn't give us.

Derek2k3
04-22-2011, 02:01 AM
You know what I noticed tonight? I've always said we need a slasher to soften up the d, and DC can do that. However, at least 5 different times DC did his drive and kick move, amd Rose tipped the pass. DC needs to swotch it up, not completely commit to the blind pudd every time. Fake that pass and you get a free layup, Rose is overpaying it every time.

imawhat
04-22-2011, 02:07 AM
By the way, I thought Dahntay Jones really gave us a good spark tonight on both sides of the ball. I just like that guy. He can get into hero mode but he gets in people's heads on defense and he has some much needed swagger than Rush just doesn't give us.

We got Dahntay for a game like tonight's. A few playoff games like this and he basically earns his contract, much like LaSalle's contract was earned with the picks he set for Reggie against the Knicks in '94.

PacersRule
04-22-2011, 02:24 AM

Actually, if the Bulls go onto the second round, I'd like to see them crush whoever they play big time. It goes to show how good of a team the Pacers are :)

CableKC
04-22-2011, 02:40 AM
I haven't gone through the thread yet...but I liked having Inferno in the game.

TMJ31
04-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Actually, if the Bulls go onto the second round, I'd like to see them crush whoever they play big time. It goes to show how good of a team the Pacers are :)

I have such conflicting feelings here.

The competitor in me wants the Bulls to get murdered out of sheer vengeance.

But another part of me wants the Pacers supreme effort to be validated by a Bulls dominance.

Still ANOTHER part of me doesn't WANT the Bulls to win, but I definitely want the Heat to LOSE... So, hmmmm...

Tough call.

I prefer the Pacers just winning the next 4 games, I think I'll take that option ;)

Deadshot
04-22-2011, 03:23 AM

Not trying to be annoying here but we traded Antonio right before the 99 draft (for the Bender pick) and Jeff was picked and traded to us in that same draft. They never played together in a Pacers uniform. But Dale was still here through the Finals run.

Peck
04-22-2011, 03:27 AM

While I agree with you that we have had some super crowds over the years, IMO this crowd was the best we have had since the NBA finals & that was 11 years ago.

While it was a 70 - 30 split for the fieldhouse the Pacers fans that were there were loud & proud all night long.

Every time an M-V-P Chant went up it was quickly drowned out by the Pacer fans in attendance.

It was so loud early on that I could not hear Grady doing the intro's to the trainers & the Butler basketball team. It was so loud I never heard area 55. It was so loud that my head was ringing for a short time.

No, we've had better crowds. But we haven't had a more passionate crowd in over a decade.

Take a bow Pacer fans.

Day-V
04-22-2011, 03:30 AM
**** it, if we get eliminated, I hope Orlando beats the living **** out of Chicago.

(edit: you can say "dick" but not "p*ss" on here? crazy)

Deadshot
04-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Its incredible to me that DRose feels he can drive into the lane untouched...I'll give him credit because he's not afraid to drive in there, but he has to stop complaining. I was happy to see this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_UljSZNZ9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CableKC
04-22-2011, 03:46 AM
I really hope that we re-sign Foster to close out his career here. Even at a reduced # of minutes, he is still effective. But I will say this....I hope that we find a replacement for him that will do what he does....we need someone that rebounds and scraps for every board and is willing to be the enforcer on the floor.

I will say this....I really hope that Saturday is the last time we will see Foster in a Pacer Uniform....when and If that day comes...I will miss him and what he brings to this Team terribly.

Seriously, MagicRat or any of you that have recorded the game....please get a picture of Foster staring down DRose and the rest of the Bull. I LOVED the "Yeah, I fouled you hard...WTF are you going to do about it? It's the EFFIN Playoffs" look on his face.

CableKC
04-22-2011, 03:50 AM
I've said this before....I will live with what Inferno brings to the offense and defense....he just brings a certain amount of aggressiveness to the offense and defense.

CableKC
04-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Its incredible to me that DRose feels he can drive into the lane untouched...I'll give him credit because he's not afraid to drive in there, but he has to stop complaining. I was happy to see this:
DRose better get used to this....Players much tougher then Foster is going to hipcheck DRose throughout the Playoffs.

DemonHunter1105
04-22-2011, 05:21 AM
(edit: you can say "dick" but not "p*ss" on here? crazy)

Well, Dick can be someone's name. But I guess P*ss can too if your parents wanted to name you that lol.

bellisimo
04-22-2011, 06:37 AM
man staying up till 4am to watch us lose like this is really heartbreaking...these are growing pains we're going through but dammit they hurt like hell...I had become a fan of the NBA and Pacers in '95 so I was a follower after the '90s team's initial growing pains so this is all a new experience for me...this off season is going to feel extra long for me after this series...

BTW to everyone saying that we should've made the playoffs last year instead of "tanking"...if we had done that we wouldn't have Paul George on our roster. Getting to playoffs with mediocre talent that has no potential for growth is meaningless.

dryley
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Yes, we have not paid enough attention to him but it's not like he's an easy cover. He doesn't need to be wide open to hit shots. He's one of the best shooters in the NBA. If we had Korver, we would be winning this series.

If Korver was in street clothes..we'd be winning this series

dryley
04-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Now, having just ranted about Roy...I'm so stoked to see what George can do next season. He really got under Rose's skin; something that other players rarely can do. He is going to be the complete player. Clutch shooting, rebounding, the athleticism....such potential!

And Vogel? I think he came in with an excellent plan. These games have been chess games, and he has matched the likely COY every step of the way.

I'm going to start another thread about Vogel. As a fan, I really want to try to make my opinion known about this guy in Game 4. He deserves a shot as coach.

While I do agree with this, I have to say our plays in the final two minutes have been horrible! The same thing all 3 games

Unclebuck
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
While I agree with you that we have had some super crowds over the years, IMO this crowd was the best we have had since the NBA finals & that was 11 years ago.

While it was a 70 - 30 split for the fieldhouse the Pacers fans that were there were loud & proud all night long.

Every time an M-V-P Chant went up it was quickly drowned out by the Pacer fans in attendance.

It was so loud early on that I could not hear Grady doing the intro's to the trainers & the Butler basketball team. It was so loud I never heard area 55. It was so loud that my head was ringing for a short time.

No, we've had better crowds. But we haven't had a more passionate crowd in over a decade.

Take a bow Pacer fans.

There were several crowds in 2004 - I know you hated that team, but come on they got to the ECF. Plus Peck, where were you siting at the time. The crowd sounds a lot louder the lower you sit. I have always sat in the lower level and I thought it was an average for a playoff game crowd.

I guess we disagree.

BRushWithDeath
04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
The crowd sounds a lot louder the lower you sit. I have always sat in the lower level and I thought it was an average for a playoff game crowd.

I guess we disagree.

I was sitting at center court directly behind the scorer's bench.

Granted it's been quite awhile since that ECF in '04 but it was at least equally as loud from what I remember.

I thought the crowd was fantastic. And having the Bulls fans there, who can certainly be obnoxious at times, added to that.

Shade
04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I have a question for you seasoned vets.

I've been to several Pacers Playoff games since 2001, but my wife of 3 years had never experienced it. So, after much deliberation, I bought tix at the last minute and ended up in 221, Row 11. Hey, no such thing as a bad seat.

Well, heres the issue:

The game was great. But the Bulls fans around us were awful, completely trashed and disrespectful. Early in the first quarter, a Pacers fan shouted "PACERS" directly at one of the Bulls fans in front of us. Well, the Bulls fan responded by threatening to "kick the **** out of you!" and repeatedly saying, "Do it again, I dare you. Little *****!"

Well, I was able to calm both down and get back to what was shaping up to be a great game. However, the Bulls fan begins chanting "Hibbert is a ****y, **** the Pacers! You guys SUCK ***!!

Then, a Pacers fan who had drank a bit too much began chanting "**** the Bulls" over and over. Everyone around him insisted he stop, but the idiot Bulls fan began threatening to come over there and start something, going so far as to get up and start moving. Well, after about 30 seconds of terrible profanity and threats, I stepped in and shoved the drunk Pacers fan out of the way, and told the Bulls fan to chill or get ejected. Right on cue, security shows up and drags the Bulls fan off. Well, the Bulls fan was able to LIE to security (Apparently, I didn't hear the words out of his mouth.) Security let him stay, and ejected the Pacers fan. Just like that.

First issue: Bulls fan needed to be gone as well. Period. They both needed bounced.

Second issue: The Bulls fan was calm until the third quarter when he got mouthy again, including flipping the crowd off REPEATEDLY. Well, security comes back because they had recieved MULTIPLE complaints (There were little kids, like 3 to 6, and he was shouting F words like it was what kept him alive). All security does is warn him to calm down, and leaves. At the end of the game, he, showing great originality, shouted "F YOU!" over and over at Pacers fans.

This was the first ever playoff game my wife had attended, and I had to be on edge the entire time because these disrespectful and DRUNK Bulls fans.

Who can I contact regarding this? I'm coming back to the game Saturday, should I try to speak with Customer Service?

I know I could just let it go, but for all the times I've been to Conseco, this was the one time where I was genuinely concerned something would happen.

By the way, the fans were in section 221, row 10, seats 5-8. Even the Usher was shocked security allowed the Bulls fans to stay.

Advice? I'm really bummed. Incredible game! Loved it! But, the Chicago fans really hurt the experience.

That's why I opted not to go. Didn't want to get into it with Bulls fans.

And as far as them saying we "suck ***"...well, just ask them, "Why is your team struggling so much against a team that sucks ***?" :-p

dryley
04-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Did anyone else think Danny had a chance to step in front of Rose (or at least foul him and send him to the line) on that drive at the end that gave them the lead? Seemed lke he just waved at him as he went by..

Mackey_Rose
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I think Vogel still has these conundrums that he runs into every now and then but he eventually figures it out. Like earlier in the year he was afraid to make changes as he saw fit, cause Jim would just yank and pull players in and out of the lineup and I think Vogel was very conscious about any changes and also was trying to give players every opportunity to play through their mistakes. I think with those situations about riding the so-called "hot hand" late in the game is probably what he wants to do but probably knows this is the playoffs and probably thinks he should stick with his rotations from his game plan.

I think it's exactly the opposite. In the playoffs, it's even more important to "ride the hot hand," on an individual game basis.

During the regular season, it generally makes a lot of sense to stick with the set rotations and game plan. You want to create a sense of consistency, and if you jerk around with the rotations you run the risk of damaging team chemistry, deflating an individual player's confidence level, and lowering team morale.

However, in the playoffs, all those concerns need to be thrown out the window. I believe you have to treat every single one of these playoff games as a do-or-die situation. If an individual player gets butt-hurt because he didn't get his minutes in a playoff game, I don't want that player on my team anyway.

Dr. Hibbert
04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Did anyone else think Danny had a chance to step in front of Rose (or at least foul him and send him to the line) on that drive at the end that gave them the lead? Seemed lke he just waved at him as he went by..

If he does, refs send Rose to the line. Two points either way.

Unclebuck
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Peck, maybe we are discussing different aspects of the crowd. Sure maybe at the loudest last night the crowd was as loud as ever, that is certainly possible, I just don't know. What I really meant when I said it was a average playoff crowd, I was talking about the number of times they got really loud. The number of times the crowd and cheered during a whole defensive possession, or the number of times the whole crowd chered throughout a whole timeout or the feeling the crowd was willing the team to a voctory. That is what I was talking about and I thought in those aspects the crowd was average.

McKeyFan
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Make the adjustment over the summer.

Find a point guard who sees the floor and can play defense.

Mackey_Rose
04-22-2011, 08:28 AM
If he does, refs send Rose to the line. Two points either way.

I'd take my chances with Rose at the line. He has missed those kind of free throws before. (I'm thinking about the National Championship specifically)

He should have taken a hard foul on him rather than giving him the layup.

McKeyFan
04-22-2011, 08:37 AM
On the Bulls board they think the Pacers play to hard and should be fined for dirty play.

Translation: the bulls weren't playing at home.

Mackey_Rose
04-22-2011, 08:40 AM

That should be the first, second, and third priority for the off-season.

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Did you see the part were he missed the wide open Hansbrough under the rim in that last play? Neither one of our point guards can pass the ball for *****.

OakMoses
04-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Roy got 12 shots tonight... He only played 23 minutes too. I don't think its time to bail on the guy, but he didn't play well tonight or in the series.

It might not be time to bail on him (though if someone offered us a good deal for him, I'd take it), but at the very least, this summer is certainly the time to realize that we need a back-up plan at the 5 who can be ready to outplay Roy for big minutes in a playoff series the way Foster has done this year.

OakMoses
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM

The Pacers need a huge talent upgrade at at least one position this summer. There are five to choose from. While a PG upgrade would be nice, it's far from a necessity.

joeyd
04-22-2011, 09:28 AM
It's incredible that a series this close is 3-0. These have been three great and close games.

I agree, but I still can't decide if I'd rather have 4 close games and lose them all versus winning one game and being blown out in one or more games.

BlueNGold
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Agreed. He drove straight into the paint and didn't expect anyone to try to stop him. Hans is actually the one who came over and gave Rose a shot. Foster is a big man who simply got in Rose's way, and no, Rose was not yet in the air when Jeff got in his way.

Sorry Derrick but you ran into Foster and that's the price you pay for coming into the paint.

BTW, I think the Bulls are learning a lesson notwithstanding they are winning these games. The playoffs are going to be harder for them to cruise than the regular season. A lot harder. The Pacers are hardly the best team they will face. It will be very interesting as the Bulls, Celtics and Heat advance.

joeyd
04-22-2011, 09:39 AM

The issue of his only taking 12 shots does not negate the fact that he missed several ridiculously easy shots. And it goes hand in hand with the fact that he played only 23 minutes, which was a direct result of his foul trouble but in the past reduced minutes has been due to his ineffectiveness as well. I know that Roy is taking a lot of blame for this loss, but in my mind, if we don't see an overall improvement from his game next season, manifested by a reduction in games he is in foul trouble and fewer "disappearing acts," I would like to see him moved to backup C, where I think he will be more comfortable.

If a healthy Jeff Foster returns, I am comfortable giving the experiment one more year. I hope it works out for Roy.

naptownmenace
04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Another depressing loss. I'm glad what I saw from granger in crunch time, but we just had some terrible plays drawn up in the last minute. The collison shot and the last possession, couldn't get an open look at the basket what so ever. It will be interesting to see how we respond in game 4.

I don't think Collison ran the right play when they had the ball tied at 84. Danny was irate in the huddle after that play and I think it was a major mistake on DC's part.

It looked like the play was designed to go to Danny off a staggered screen. Danny ran the play and popped open about 17 feet from the basket but Darren put his head down and shot a forced jumper instead of hitting the open man.

Lack of execution was the problem. I think Frank was drawing up the right plays but the players just couldn't execute them on the offensive end in the last minute and a half.

flox
04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I agree that OKC is young and with far more talent and potential. It's not close even if Paul turns into Durant-lite. But I'm not really saying the Pacers are the babies of the league. What I am saying is that I thought the Bulls were not that much older...but they really are if you just count the future of the teams.

As for peaks, I think we need to wait until George matures, we use the cap space and potentially move Granger for more youth. I agree with the current crop our peak is going to be lower...but what I am hoping is that the Paul George era is just starting. IOW, I expect the team to continue to have turnover and add more talent...so in a sense you are right. This particular group is not taking us anywhere. George plus something else beyond Danny is going to be necessary.

Agreed, agreed. Paul George and the willingness to trade Granger are the key factors.

naptownmenace
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
The issue of his only taking 12 shots does not negate the fact that he missed several ridiculously easy shots. And it goes hand in hand with the fact that he played only 23 minutes, which was a direct result of his foul trouble but in the past reduced minutes has been due to his ineffectiveness as well. I know that Roy is taking a lot of blame for this loss, but in my mind, if we don't see an overall improvement from his game next season, manifested by a reduction in games he is in foul trouble and fewer "disappearing acts," I would like to see him moved to backup C, where I think he will be more comfortable.

If a healthy Jeff Foster returns, I am comfortable giving the experiment one more year. I hope it works out for Roy.

Don't worry, the center position will be solidified for the next 10 years starting with next season.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011
NBA teams interested in Stanko Barac

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K5GJNp843S4/TZwNH3OTayI/AAAAAAAAD0I/dAfJ9oVeEDw/s1600/s.baraccaj.jpg
You can never have enough 7-footers.

Stanko Barac(2.17-C) spoke to acb.com and said that although he has a contract with Baskonia in 2015 there is interest from teams from the NBA franchise as well. This means that the Croatian center might be leaving Baskonia in the summer for an NBA team. This is not news as Barac was selected by the Miami Heat as the 39th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft and was traded to the Indiana Pacers.

Last season he signed his 3-season extension with Baskonia but as always in these cases there is an NBA-out clause in his contract. If this happens Baskonia will be losing a 3rd big man to an NBA team after Scola and Splitter but obviously Barac is not of the same caliber. So far he has averaged 11.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 20 games in the Euroleague and also 11.2 points and 6.9 rebounds in the ACB in 25 games.
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2011/04/nba-teams-interested-in-stanko-barac.html

RWB
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Peck, maybe we are discussing different aspects of the crowd. Sure maybe at the loudest last night the crowd was as loud as ever, that is certainly possible, I just don't know. What I really meant when I said it was a average playoff crowd, I was talking about the number of times they got really loud. The number of times the crowd and cheered during a whole defensive possession, or the number of times the whole crowd chered throughout a whole timeout or the feeling the crowd was willing the team to a voctory. That is what I was talking about and I thought in those aspects the crowd was average.

I think the problem is our memory returns to that 05/06 series where it just didn't seem anyone cared. That includes the players and the fans. It is burnt into my brain seeing someone actually reading the star while the game was going on.

NuffSaid
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think Collison ran the right play when they had the ball tied at 84. Danny was irate in the huddle after that play and I think it was a major mistake on DC's part.

It looked like the play was designed to go to Danny off a staggered screen. Danny ran the play and popped open about 17 feet from the basket but Darren put his head down and shot a forced jumper instead of hitting the open man.

Lack of execution was the problem. I think Frank was drawing up the right plays but the players just couldn't execute them on the offensive end in the last minute and a half.
I saw this play play out the same way. Collison should have passed the ball to Granger. He was wide open and had the hot hand and could have easily made that shot in rhythem.

Anyway...

Did anyone see Vogel's post-game interview? The man looked like he was struggling to hold back tears. Poor guy.

I really can't say I blame him. My eyes welled up for the team, too. They fought so hard. To come up short again after challenging the Bulls for three straight games. It has to be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

My heart goes out to him and the entire team. They really should have won atleast one game by now in this series.

I think Roy Hibbert's problem is simple: He hasn't decided which type of Center he wants to be. Let me explain...

There are fundamentally skilled Centers like "The Admiral" David Robinson and The "Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan.

Then you have the more athletic Centers like Dekimbe Motumbo or Hakeem "The Dream" Alijuwan.

And then there are you power Centers like Shaq and Dwight Howard or even Blake Griffen.

Roy right now is trying to be that fundamental Center with a mixture of athleticism. He has to figure out which one suits his skills best and stay with it; perfect it. He has improved, but too often he finds himself either in early foul trouble or he's out of possition and rushes his shots or takes them off-balance. When he gets the ball where and when he wants it and he's patient, he's as good as any Center out there fundamentally. But when there's a breakdown - maybe the ball doesn't get to him fast enough in the post or maybe he gets in further out than he'd like and gets doubled, in these such situations he has to make that quick decision on what to do with the ball and commit to it. Problem is as I've said, if he gets the ball out of position he tends to take that quick, off-balance shot instead of passing it back out for the reset.

If he's going to be a fundamentally skilled Center, he has to improve in his execution.

If he's going to be an athletic Center, he needs to learn some finesse moves to the basket and start playing more above the rim.

If he's going to be a power Center, he must learn to get the ball where he can take one or two strong moves to the basket and as they say, "Throw it down, big fella!"

Either way, he must decide which type of Center he wants to be. That, to me, is his problem going forward but it's a problem that's very correctable.

PacerHound
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Frustated that we have small point guards

Really does make a big difference in so many ways doesn't it. What you can do at 6'5" on up versus what you can do at 6' or 6'1" - things like defend, pass over the top, etc.

MagicRat
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCYRfeN1h4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pacergod2
04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Eleven assits. Eleven. 11. Elf. That needs to improve.

daschysta
04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
DC was hurt, and it showed, the play he made was incredibly boneheaded at the end of the game yes, there is no excuse not to pass to granger who was open and on FIRE, bu toverall given the circumstances he wasn't that bad. What did hurt us was his size though, korver was able to simply shoot over him multiple times, that happens when were playing someone like rose, who is simply in another league offensively. However there aren't that many pg's that Darren absolutely cannot defend like westbrook and rose, and one isn't in our conference. Darren is fine as our starter, he's been important and was among the largest factors why we played chicago so close on the road. PErhaps a larger defensive minded backup pg is in order? Darren is fine against most pg's.

All in all, the losses sting, but if anyone told you before the series that we had a chance to be up 3-0 instead of down 3-0 I think everyone would have taken it. Our team has shown heart, now let's find a closer to add to the core.

Eddie Gill
04-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have the screenshot of Foster after the hard foul on Rose? That was vintage Foster.

daschysta
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
honestly tyler is also best off the bench imo. he's GREAT when hitting his jumper, and in games where he's on we can ride him, but he's a defensive liability just as much as collison, and is less consistant on offense.

He can be a great 6th man, but i'm not sure he's best served as starter. He's a weak rebounder and too reliant on the jumper. The other problem is that he's not shy about shooting alot even when his jumper isn't falling.

Mackey_Rose
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCYRfeN1h4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hard to fault Granger for being irate on that one. Jesus.

RWB
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
All in all, the losses sting, but if anyone told you before the series that we had a chance to be up 3-0 instead of down 3-0 I think everyone would have taken it. Our team has shown heart, now let's find a closer to add to the core.

And I hate to say it but that's why Bird is insistent we hang onto Lance Stephenson.

Mackey_Rose
04-22-2011, 10:53 AM
And I hate to say it but that's why Bird is insistent we hang onto Lance Stephenson.

If that's the big plan, we're ****ing screwed.

Drewtone
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
There were several crowds in 2004 - I know you hated that team, but come on they got to the ECF. Plus Peck, where were you siting at the time. The crowd sounds a lot louder the lower you sit. I have always sat in the lower level and I thought it was an average for a playoff game crowd.

I guess we disagree.

UB, I'm completely in sympatico with both you and Peck. My first playoff games to attend were ABA (barely remembered). However, then it was the amazing sight of Bird getting boo'ed in MSA in 1991.

Then I was at the Rik up and under Tree Rollins win in 1995.

So on... each of those was a unique crowd experience...

I don't think we can look at now and compare it to 7 years ago any more than we should've compared those early playoff runs to the ABA crowds... different eras, different circumstances, largely different fanbases.

You're likely correct in how it fits in taken as a whole, but outside the context of the level of apathy we've endured since the finals (which 'good times' of the 2004 team helped create).

At least from my seat up here in Canukland, aided by the fact that our feed from NBATV lost Chris and Quinn, leaving only the arena feed, I'd last last night was a big, big step forward.

BillS
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
It seemed to me that the Pacer fans in the lower bowl just below our Club seats were standing almost the entire 4th quarter.

The Sleeze
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Is it just me or did anyone else find it EXTREMELY annoying when the stadium kept playing organ-like music EVERY time the Pacers had the ball?

I was watching on TV and couldn't hear the crowd because they kept piping in that stupid music.

BillS
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else find it EXTREMELY annoying when the stadium kept playing organ-like music EVERY time the Pacers had the ball?

I was watching on TV and couldn't hear the crowd because they kept piping in that stupid music.

Funny, I was thinking that AT the game I didn't hear any of the ambient music at all.

dohman
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
What would you guys think of.going small? For a few moments a game.go with grange at the 4. Jones at the 2 and pg at the 3.

Deng is getting to danny. If they don't put boozer on him then they have to put him on George.

Just a thought.

TheColdHardTruth
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I saw this play play out the same way. Collison should have passed the ball to Granger. He was wide open and had the hot hand and could have easily made that shot in rhythem.

Anyway...

Did anyone see Vogel's post-game interview? The man looked like he was struggling to hold back tears. Poor guy.

I really can't say I blame him. My eyes welled up for the team, too. They fought so hard. To come up short again after challenging the Bulls for three straight games. It has to be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

My heart goes out to him and the entire team. They really should have won atleast one game by now in this series.

Vogel really seems like a whiner. You like this guy??

Sollozzo
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_UljSZNZ9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. I was in the balcony last night and figured there was a decent amount of contact for Rose to get ticked, but that video you posted shows there was barely any. Rose drives like a wildman to the basket and gets irritated when a player has the audacity to challenge him. That twice this series where he's got his panties in a bunch over a "hard" Pacer foul. He still has a lot to learn if he's throwing fits about stuff like that. I wish Perkins was still on Boston so him and KG would be there waiting every time he took it to the basket. Then he'd be wishing it was Jeff Foster making contact with them.

The way Rose plays, his body will be fried by the time he's in his early 30's. Will have the skill to be a great player once his body begins to betray him?

All I can say is, I will be rooting hard for whatever team the Bulls play next. I just pray either the Celtics or the Heat take care of them.

Madsen's dancing skillz
04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
honestly tyler is also best off the bench imo. he's GREAT when hitting his jumper, and in games where he's on we can ride him, but he's a defensive liability just as much as collison, and is less consistant on offense.

He can be a great 6th man, but i'm not sure he's best served as starter. He's a weak rebounder and too reliant on the jumper. The other problem is that he's not shy about shooting alot even when his jumper isn't falling.

Give him time. He's still has a lot of learning ahead of him. I don't think he's that much of a defensive liability, and if his defense against Boozer in this series is any indication, he could wind up being a good defender. He's offense is trouble when his jumper isn't falling, but that can be remedied if he learns to get by players off the dribble and some post moves.

Hibbert is the player that comes out looking the worst from this series. I don't know if this has been referenced yet, but take a look at this post on 8points9seconds
http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/04/why-to-feel-good-about-80-percent-of-the-pacers-starters/

The part on Hibbert:

I certainly would not pay big money to a center who canít score in the low post when the going gets tough. For most of this season, Hibbertís play was a microcosm of this team. When things were easy Hibbert and the Pacers would perform well. When there were no expectations on the team, you could count on a good game. If the going got tough they would fold like a cheap tent. Thatís how you end up with the staggering number of double-digit losses that this team had this year. Under both OíBrien and Vogel that was a problem.

daschysta
04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
What would you guys think of.going small? For a few moments a game.go with grange at the 4. Jones at the 2 and pg at the 3.

Deng is getting to danny. If they don't put boozer on him then they have to put him on George.

Just a thought.

I haven't really noticed deng getting to danny, he's comfortably outplayed him all series. If anything deng is the one that's got a bit chippy this series and is only shooting 40 percent.

RWB
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Well, yes we do. Seems like Rose is a whiner, do you really like him?

You know the digest has no problem with fans of other teams, but remember it needs to be more than trollish.

pacer4ever
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM

If your coach isnt working the officals he isnt doing his job every good coach in the NBA is a whiner/ complainer to the refs.

JEM
04-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I think Bogans made 3 3 point shots yesterday.. That hurt.

And having 2 chances to take the lead and failing to convert really hurt especially the second attempt because it wasnt a good look at all.

Peck
04-22-2011, 02:10 PM

I guess we disagree.

In 2004 I think I still had my section 1 seats. So I would have been section 1 row 14. So yea that is in the lower bowl.

I moved to the club level in 05 I think. Man I hated those seats so bad.

Since86
04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
If your coach isnt working the officals he isnt doing his jon every good coach in the NBA is a whiner/ complainer to the refs.

Yup, even the late great John Wooden. He said that's the reason he held on to that rolled up program, because he could use it to shield what he was saying to them.

He also had a rule, that he would wait three trips down the floor before he would complain about a particular call.

There's a reason why Phil Jackson gets fined so much.

Sparhawk
04-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I think Bogans made 3 3 point shots yesterday.. That hurt.

And having 2 chances to take the lead and failing to convert really hurt especially the second attempt because it wasnt a good look at all.

The Bulls just capitalized on just about every open 3. Even unguarded, 3's are still hard to make, but they were on. Our guys played great, but our best just doesn't seem to be enough. We don't have that X factor on our team.

Why wouldn't the Pacers attack the basket in the 3rd quarter when the Bulls were a foul away from the penalty at the 8 min mark is beyond me. You just have to find a way to draw a foul. Instead, our jump shots bailed them out. It comes down to the smaller details is why we lost. I'm sorry, but the Bulls didn't win this game, we lost it. Bulls didn't simply win the first two games either, we let the games slip away.

Still, even though I feel those games should have been ours, I'm truly am proud at how well our guys have been playing. Not there yet, but it's encouraging.

Doddage
04-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Two things from Conseco last night:

1) The building was FREEZING.

2) Did anyone else notice how they always played music immediately after a Bulls made shot? I'm guessing this was done to drown out the cheers from the Bulls fans.

D-BONE
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM

There's no question Danny came open on the play you refer to. DC has already started his move down the opposite side of the lane where Danny emerged. I don't know if there was a delay or if DC just broke it off early and tried to take it himself. I'd guess the latter based on Granger's reaction.

Peck
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Two things from Conseco last night:

1) The building was FREEZING.

2) Did anyone else notice how they always played music immediately after a Bulls made shot? I'm guessing this was done to drown out the cheers from the Bulls fans.

Yes I did & it was a great idea.

cdash
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM

You mean after resigning Josh McRoberts (the only player you actually like on the team) and trading Danny Granger?

naptownmenace
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Never, ever, ever, park in the parking garage. I made that mistake twice and I vowed I'd never do it again.

Getting out of the parking lot on South and Delaware Street is a breeze by comparison.

MagicRat
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Never, ever, ever, park in the parking garage. I made that mistake twice and I vowed I'd never do it again.

Getting out of the parking lot on South and Delaware Street is a breeze by comparison.

Unfortunately they are in the process of demolishing the two $5 lots on the NE corner of South and Delaware. Really irks me......

ndcoltsnpacers
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Yeah, you know it's been so long since I've been to a game like that one that I'd forgotten it even mattered. I'm very used to sticking my car in a garage and being able to get right out. And I'll usually get something to eat down by the Fieldhouse (usually hooters) before going home, but I saw a lot of bulls fans had the same idea and I was ready to get out. Fortunately I wasn't in the garage 3 hours like I said, but half an hour, and by the time I was out the roads had cleared out.

AesopRockOn
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Despite the huge disappointment with being down 3-0, I just can't wait to watch the next game. I hope we win just so there's another.

Hawkeytown
04-23-2011, 02:19 PM
I completely understand homers from Chicago talking about dirty play and homers from Indiana claiming it's good hard basketball. That's what fans do, that's our job.

However, there's a reason Foster's fouls got upgraded to flagrants. He's playing like a child. I don't care how close these games have been, it's clear that the Pacers have NO shot at doing anything in this series aside from not being able to close out a single game and resorting to terrible defensive play in order to keep them from getting torched all game long. McRoberts is the ONLY Indiana big man doing anything productive in this series. Hibbert is still playing like he's 6'2 instead of 7 and Hansbrough is by far the most awkward tool on the planet. He whines about everything, he's flopping worse than anybody in the league. THE GUY IS 250 pounds and he's falling down with the slightest of contact. Is this really the brand of basketball you're proud to stand behind? If you can possibly look at these fouls in the lane and say that they resemble anything other than blacktop physicality, you seriously need to have your head examined. This is the NBA. Play with some dignity. If you're going to lose, lose with honor, because NOBODY is going to look at this Pacer team's defensive tactics and say that this is the way basketball should be. This is why they limped into the playoffs and this is why they haven't won a game.