PDA

View Full Version : RoboDoug Update

Doug
10-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Folks,

With the NBA season fast approaching, I know the number one question on everybody's mind is not "ican Bender make it through training camp without getting hurt?" or "how long will Reggie start?" or even "does Jeff Foster have a jump shot now?". No, it's "will RoboDoug be running guess the score on this forum?"

Basically, the answer is "I hope so". I actually started a complete re-write back in June. I stopped doing that once Able and Hicks gave me a heads up that we were moving to new software. Then my laptop went belly-up.

So, I'm just now getting back to it. The first game is, what, next Monday? There is a chance he won't be ready by then, but if not, he should be ready by the beginning of the regular season.

With any luck, I'll get in the zone and crank the whole thing out in a couple of hours. But, probably not. RoboDoug is actually a very complex piece of software and I've got more hours in it than I care to count.

But I've got a couple of features that I can cut out to make things go a little quicker. The new guessing logic, for example. That should come as a relief to you, as if he gets any better we might as well not even run the contests. :proud:

You might see a few test threads posted here and there. Just ignore them.

Also, and I need a little feedback on this one, but right now I'm not planning on running him on the RATS forum. They've upgraded there software as well, so I expect I'd have to change RoboDoug. I just don't spend any time there any more and can't seem to muster the energy to do it. It's mainly a bunch of strangers over there. It feels like it's really the end of an era, though. RoboDoug was my last strong tie to that forum. It's a weird feeling. Maybe I don't really need feedback on this, just a pat on the back and an "all things must pass" or a "the king is dead, long live the king."

Well, that's enough for now. I've got some code to write...

Bball
10-06-2004, 12:46 AM
RoboDoug rocks! :cool:

As for the Star forum... Unless you can program RoboDoug to flame he probably won't be comfortable there ;)

-Bball

obnoxiousmodesty
10-06-2004, 12:52 AM
Cool, I was just wondering about this over the weekend. I'm looking forward to defending my championship from last year. (Well, human championship. RoboDoug kicked everyone's *** in '03-04.) Thanks Doug!

Will Galen
10-06-2004, 02:54 AM
RoboDoug rocks! :cool:

As for the Star forum... Unless you can program RoboDoug to flame he probably won't be comfortable there ;)

-Bball

That's funny BBall! The thought has merit though.

I was only going over to the Star forum last year for RoboDoug, but near the end of the season I even quit doing that. I just don't care for the place anymore, and I was a regular for years.

At the time I think I was second only to RoboDoug, and I'm a competitive fellow so you can see how much I dislike that forum.

:cheers: To Doug, the mastermind behind Robo!

Roaming Gnome
10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Well, RoboDoug is about the last thing to come over from the RATS forum that is worth a damn. Now officially, :off: there is no reason to go there...:off2:

Shade
10-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Go RoboDoug! :pray:

MSA2CF
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Doug. I've been awaiting word on this. :)

Doug
10-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words, all.

FYI: RoboDoug can now log in to the forum. Stupid cookie handling problems!

RoboDoug
10-06-2004, 11:35 PM
This is a test.

The quick brown fox jump over the lazy dog!

If you can see this, it means RoboDoug can reply to a thread...

fwpacerfan
10-07-2004, 08:35 AM
This is a test.

The quick brown fox jump over the lazy dog!

If you can see this, it means RoboDoug can reply to a thread...

Dude you are freaking me out with this. You mean RoboDoug is now able to reply to threads and log in?

sweabs
10-07-2004, 08:45 AM
That avatar freaks me out.

MagicRat
10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Dude you are freaking me out.......

Pot meet kettle.......:p

Doug
10-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, I've got the basic "forum" operations done. RoboDoug can login, logout, post a new thread, reply to an existing thread, and read the posts from an existing thread.

I need to do a little more polishing and error handling. And a few not-so-minor things like knowing to read all pages of a multiple page post.

That just leaves all of the database stuff, integration with NBA.com to automatically get the results, oh, and an slight improved guessing engine.

<sigh>

I'll try to get an "official" thread up for the first preason game. We'll see.

Doug
10-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Looks like I've got some work to do on the post formatting as well. :-(

able
10-10-2004, 06:56 AM
Doug I am looking into making the XML work on these pages today, if that eases your job, also there are some other options that might be "easier to read" for robodoug.

(wap, nntp and "old style" which will all be added again today)

Doug
10-10-2004, 08:59 AM
XML will certainly help, as I end up converting the HTML to XML for processing. Probably the best benefit is you don't have to worry about breaking RoboDoug when you add new features or change formats.

I knew you said you were working on it, but I thought I'd start hacking away anyway. It's far enough along that I can leave that as it is for now, and start working on the other bits.

RoboDoug
10-10-2004, 09:20 PM
This is a test to see if BBCODE formatting

works now
that

I added
new NameValuePair("use", "bbcode") to the POST.

Doug
10-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Humm...

Looks like the
tag might not work.

[code]
testing

Doug
10-11-2004, 10:56 PM
<br>
test
<b>this is another test</b>

<i>ignore me.</i>

<table><tr><td>foo</td<td>bar</td></tr>
<tr><td>baz</td><td>qux</td></tr></table>

Doug
10-11-2004, 11:01 PM
<font face=Courier>This is another test of something that might work for the resutls font.</font>