PDA

View Full Version : PTI Michael Wilborn says Pacers are a better team than Magic/Hawks

LetsTalkPacers
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6390975

I dont know how I missed this. Its just nice to hear us getting some spotlight and recognition. Nice video, and sorry if its been discussed already.

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
This was discussed in another thread, but it was based upon an ESPN article that Wilbon wrote. have no idea which thread it is in. The article is probably still available on ESPN.com

BRushWithDeath
04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
As Unclebuck said, it's already been discussed.

It's also not true.

Kid Minneapolis
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't say that. I agree with Wilbon --- right now, they are playing better than those two teams. Whether or not they have a better roster... they are playing better ball. Except in the final 2 minutes.

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I think the Pacers have played better to this point than the magic and the hawks. Of course Magic were terrible in game #1. Regardless it is only through 3 games

Trophy
04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
As far as the way the Magic and Hawks are playing so far, we're definitely competing more and playing better.

I feel like the Bulls/Pacers series has been a lot more exciting than the Magic/Hawks.

bellisimo
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
considering the amount of times we've choked against the Hawks...I guess we should hope for the Magic in the next round? :D

BRushWithDeath
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
What he wrote in his article was that the Pacers had a better roster than the Magic, which is patently false.

Even if you think we're equal 2-15, which is a stretch, the difference between Granger and Dwight is about as large as the Grand Canyon.

Have we played better than them the last two games? Sure. Are we a better team. Not by a mile.

Ransom
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
*Throws out ridiculous rumor of Dwight Howard joining the Pacers in the offseason*

Kegboy
04-21-2011, 12:44 PM
*Throws out ridiculous rumor of Dwight Howard joining the Pacers in the offseason*

Unnamed sources are saying Dwight Howard will demand a trade to the Pacers this offseason.

Hicks
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
As Unclebuck said, it's already been discussed.

It's also not true.

Thanks Ryen "My opinions are factual and I will declare them as such" Russillo. :rolleyes:

I don't strongly disagree (though I do somewhat), but opinions delivered as facts (particularly negative ones) can just annoy me. Maybe I'm alone.

crunk-juice
04-21-2011, 01:05 PM
What he wrote in his article was that the Pacers had a better roster than the Magic, which is patently false.

Even if you think we're equal 2-15, which is a stretch, the difference between Granger and Dwight is about as large as the Grand Canyon.

Have we played better than them the last two games? Sure. Are we a better team. Not by a mile.

i'd say the Pacers do have a more well-rounded roster actually. Hawks, not so much.

Kid Minneapolis
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Completely off-topic, but anyone ever notice http://www.pacersdigest.com/images/mood/Aggressive.gif is spelled wrong, lol...

aaronb
04-21-2011, 01:27 PM
i'd say the Pacers do have a more well-rounded roster actually. Hawks, not so much.

Take away Horford, Josh Smith and Joe Johnson and you can make that case. However those 3 guys are better than any Pacer is right now.

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Completely off-topic, but anyone ever notice http://www.pacersdigest.com/images/mood/Aggressive.gif is spelled wrong, lol...

im literally :laugh:

i noticed that too but didnt want to say anything because i thought it was just me

Mackey_Rose
04-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Take away Horford, Josh Smith and Joe Johnson and you can make that case. However those 3 guys are better than any Pacer is right now.

Crawford might also be better.

Trader Joe
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Crawford might also be better.

No.

LucasRL13
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Are you serious? :buddies:

Granger, Hibbert, DC, Hansbrough...

mohawk al
04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I would just like to add that Tony Kornheiser said we had 35 wins when we really had 37. COME ON TONY! That is all

mattie
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM

The Magics roster outside of Howard is an embarrassment. They suck.

mattie
04-21-2011, 03:42 PM

That's why the Hawks are so good right?

Danny Granger is literally better than Joe Johnson in nearly every facet of the game. He shoots, better, he scores better, he defends better, he rebounds better... He's not as good of a passer as Joe, but other than he's just a better player.

Joe Johnson has a much prettier game, so people assume he's better. But I've never cared for his game. He's just a chucker. That Hawks team would be much much better if those 3 players are all as good as everyone this board says they are.

aaronb
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Danny Granger is literally better than Joe Johnson in nearly every facet of the game. He shoots, better, he scores better, he defends better, he rebounds better... He's not as good of a passer as Joe, but other than he's just a better player.

Joe Johnson has a much prettier game, so people assume he's better. But I've never cared for his game. He's just a chucker. That Hawks team would be much much better if those 3 players are all as good as everyone this board says they are.

Joe Johnson is a much better ball handler and passer. He is much better at creating his own shot than Danny Granger. Overall he is the superior player.

Granger is only superior to Johnson as an outside shooter.

Eleazar
04-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Yeah, none of those players are any better than Granger. If directly compared to their position Horford and Smith may be better, but not if compared to Granger.

Also there is a difference between having a better roster and a better team. You can have a bunch of superstars, but if you play better as a team you will beat them more times than not. See US national team for 2000 to 2008, all the talent in the world, but small countries with people no one has heard of were able to beat them.

mattie
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Joe Johnson is a much better ball handler and passer. He is much better at creating his own shot than Danny Granger. Overall he is the superior player.

Granger is only superior to Johnson as an outside shooter.

Exactly my point. Because his game is so much prettier, he's a better creator, the natural assumption is that he's a better player. Except he's not.

Danny is clearly a better defender, a MUCH more efficient scorer, a higher volume scorer resulting him being a much more valuable player.

But you'd be right if we judged a player on pure style points, Joe Johnson would be the better player.

mattie
04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
If Joe Johnson lived up too his potential, got to the line, shot better percentage shots, he would be better. Unfortunately he doesn't do that. All he does is repeatedly chuck up bad shots, while avoiding the foul line at all costs.

pacer4ever
04-21-2011, 05:05 PM
If Joe Johnson lived up too his potential, got to the line, shot better percentage shots, he would be better. Unfortunately he doesn't do that. All he does is repeatedly chuck up bad shots, while avoiding the foul line at all costs.

ur guys homerism to the pacers is laughable.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Joe Johnson isn't better than Danny Granger... He's a very overrated player.

mattie
04-21-2011, 05:09 PM

I realize, you think because you're openly willing to admit just about any player from opposing teams are superior to the Pacers players that must mean you're right. Except you blindly state that one player after another must be better, in this example, than Danny Granger.

I appreciate the attempt to think open minded about the Pacers. But seriously think about what you're trying to argue- You're trying to say Joe Johnson is better than Danny Granger, when Granger is literally better in every statistical category. None of your supposed theories add up either. I mean if Joe Johnson is really the all-star everyone thinks he is, how come the Hawks don't win more games?

I'm a huge homer, but it's weird the homer has all the statistics backing up everything he is saying.

Isaac
04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The Hawks and Magic are both clearly better than the Pacers right now. As for the next two years, I'm not so sure.

naptownmenace
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks Ryen "My opinions are factual and I will declare them as such" Russillo. :rolleyes:

I don't strongly disagree (though I do somewhat), but opinions delivered as facts (particularly negative ones) can just annoy me. Maybe I'm alone.

As much as that might be the case, Russillo covers the NBA better than anyone else at ESPN. Seriously, he watches almost every team throughout the season and I value his opinion much more than Michael Wilbon.

I just so happened to be driving in the car when Wilbon was on and I can see where he was going but no, I don't agree with him either - especially about the Hawks. The Hawks lack focus but they have a very talented team with Smith, Horford, and Joe Johnson. Their defense is better than the Pacers but offensively they have some terrible schemes and look to freelance and run ISOs way too often. Still, I think they're better than the Pacers right now and maybe even next year.

Maybe you can make that argument about the Hawks if you take away Dwight. Orlando has a bunch of talented players but other than Dwight, no one plays defense at higher than an average level. Arenas, Turkoglu, and Nelson are all poor defenders. Riddick is the only guy I think is better than average on their team and he's been hurt most of the season. They would be no better than Toronto without Dwight.

Slick Pinkham
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I posted it in the "Twice in a row, I'm so proud of this team" thread now on page 2

pwee31
04-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Barkley said this on TNT as well, and I believe for Wilbon.

LA_Confidential
04-22-2011, 12:12 AM

Overrated, no. Overpaid, yes.

If he was on our team we wouldn't be talking about finding a closer.

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 12:17 AM

Now this is crazy talk.

Constellations
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM

Your comments towards people however, are not.

righteouscool
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Now this is crazy talk.

I don't know what is so crazy about it. Joe Johnson isn't some unshakeable superstar. He's about where I'd put Granger, who is averaging 21 points in the playoffs on 50% shooting while being double teamed constantly.

It is hilarious how much you guys hate on Granger. Outside of him and Collison the entire starting line up shot a TERRIBLE percentage. Danny showed up tonight I'm afraid no one else in the starting line up did besides George.

ilive4sports
04-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Now this is crazy talk.

Ok, he's just overrated instead of very overrated.

Eleazar
04-22-2011, 01:26 AM

I don't think that is true I just think Granger has become underrated amongst Pacer fans on this board.

ilive4sports
04-22-2011, 01:41 AM
I don't think that is true I just think Granger has become underrated amongst Pacer fans on this board.

Well I don't underrate Granger, hell I probably overrate him. But I just think Johnson is rather overrated. Especially for what he gets paid.

Eleazar
04-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Well I don't underrate Granger, hell I probably overrate him. But I just think Johnson is rather overrated. Especially for what he gets paid.

Defiantly Johnson is overpaid. Hell half that team is overpaid, especially all of their main pieces.

ndcoltsnpacers
04-22-2011, 02:47 AM
Your comments towards people however, are not.

I'm more of a reader than a poster here at PD. It's been sad to see how since the beginning of the season P4E has gone from a very emotional but dedicated (and yes, sub-par grammar) into an over the top pessimist. I know he's an Area 55er and that makes it even sadder. Not sure if he thinks it makes him more "legit" to talk like that or what. I want us to win the old P4E back.