PDA

View Full Version : People are talking Pacer Basketball again

Jose Slaughter
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I thought I'd share a brief story.

Early Tuesday I'm at Methodist Hospital here in Indianapolis. On my way from the parking garage to the lab I pass an information desk, three guys are talking about game 2.

After I finish up in the lab I head over to the cafe for some breakfast. While eating, two or three guys walk past my table talking about game 2.

Later that day I'm at work & the Fed Ex guy comes in for his pick up & we spend about 10 minutes talking about the game as well.

I usually don't hear a lot of people talking about Pacer games. Some about the players & a little about the NBA in general. It's nice to hear a little buzz about an actual game.

This town really wants the Pacers to do well again. Any sign of advancing & I really think this town is gonna jump on board.

owl
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Was walking out of Frys's and the check out guy sees my Pacer hat and starts asking me if I was watching the games. I assured him I was and how disappointed I was that Collison was hurt. He was watching the games also.

ndcoltsnpacers
04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
This happened to me the other day after we'd lost game 1. I had on a Pacers shirt and the guy working at the gas station wanted to talk about them.

TheDon
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I was down at the park playing basketball with a few of my friends and everyone else playing on the nearby courts was talking about the Pacers while they were shooting around. It was a really surreal experience after feeling like the only one who paid any attention to going to be surrounded by people talking about them.

MagicRat
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
The Pacers even got a mention on "The Middle" tonight......

KingGeorge
04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
After wearing my Pacers gear all year long, I have turned a lot of guys on my floor into Pacers fans.

We don't get any channels at IU, so I had to watch most of the games on my laptop. Since game 2 was on TNT, everyone was in my dorm room rooting for the Pacers.

I thought we were going to get a noise violation when T.J. hit that shot at the buzzer. :laugh:

Sandman21
04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Its beginning again........

MagicRat
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
We'll know they're really back when the car flags start flying again.

DemonHunter1105
04-20-2011, 11:42 PM
One of my roommates has been watching the games with me when he didn't have anything else going on this year. I'll be going to game 3 and possibly game 4 as well so I told him I won't be there to watch it with him.

I was surprised when he said he was going to watch the games alone anyway. Might not be much, but there is no way in hell he was watching a game by himself during the regular season. Not to mention the fact that he is not much of a sports fan to begin with.

I'm so ready for tomorrow night. GO PACERS! :D

Constellations
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I got my g/f into the Pacers the season after about the Lakers game I believe. I've taken her to 7 Home games this year because she had never been to a game. She started liking them more and more throughout the season which soon led to her buying a Pacer's purse, warm-up pants, a hoodie, and a Hansbrough jersey.

I got off early the night of Game 2 around 10:45 pm and headed home. Our cable is out right now because we ordered xfinity or what not and they haven't installed the thing yet, so the situation with the telly is rough. I came home early her car was in the driveway turned on, lol. I walked up the window and scared the **** out of her. She rolled the window down and I heard the game on the radio. I loved her even more after that. I guess I can take credit for crafting another pacers fan.

El Pacero
04-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Saw a guy with an old Pacers sweatshirt just tonight while getting dinner. Never see that. It's alive.

I like to look at this as not bandwagon fans coming back, but Pacers fans becoming Pacers fans again. (I know it's a positive spin, but it's the only way.)

presto123
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Saw a guy with an old Pacers sweatshirt just tonight while getting dinner. Never see that. It's alive.

I like to look at this as not bandwagon fans coming back, but Pacers fans becoming Pacers fans again. (I know it's a positive spin, but it's the only way.)

I lost interest in the team after the brawl and didn't come back til this year. Now I don't think I missed one game this year that was televised:happydanc I really like our roster.

Ozwalt72
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM

I'd like to think of it as people that are to busy or don't have the time to support a consistent loser. They don't jump to another team, heck, they probably don't even watch NBA basketball unless their team is showing some positive signs.

While a bandwagon fan is the yearly convert bulls/lakers/heat/celtics fan that has a jersey for whoever wins.

smj887
04-21-2011, 12:44 AM
A handful of people in one of my morning classes were talking about the team. I've been here since spring of 2008 and it's the only time I can recall hearing a Pacers conversation.

I'm glad the casuals are coming back, and I know it's definitely great for the team if they stick around, but the selfish part of me hates the idea that I might never sit in the front row for $75 again...

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 12:52 AM
The Indiana pride in basketball is back!

I've been hearing a lot of buzz myself.

From bars, to work and just seeing way more people wearing Pacers gear. Seems like the same as to those wearing the horseshoe crap.

I've seen a lot of jerseys and not ones JO, Artest, Reggie pinstripes but Granger, Hibbert, Collison, Hansbrough, and even some George. These young guys are not going unnoticed nor is anyone picturing the Indiana Pacers as "those thugs".

I've heard a lot more people referring to the Pacers not as "them", but as "we".

If we give our 18,165 home crowd tomorrow night (well tonight) and Saturday and hopefully another game back at the Fieldhouse, I think that will say so much about this team and the fans seeing them in person will really make everyone want to pack the house next season.

I'm no longer worried about having to feel like I'm the only one happy for the Pacers winning next season at the games and my girlfriend and I having to sit in a sea of green. 16,000+ per game!

No longer will I have to mention my disappointment in our attendance. :dance:

Deadshot
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
The Indiana pride in basketball is back!

No longer will I have to mention my disappointment in our attendance. :dance:

I wouldn't quite say its over yet. The Pacers have to play better ball next season for sure. Charlotte's popularity reached an all time high last year in the playoffs and the interest once again dwindled to almost nothing in recent times.

And we have to hope there isn't a lockout. That will kill any momentum.

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 12:56 AM
The Pacers even got a mention on "The Middle" tonight......

I love that show.

About freakin' time they mentioned the Pacers and not just the Colts.

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't quite say its over yet. The Pacers have to play better ball next season for sure. Charlotte's popularity reached an all time high last year in the playoffs and the interest once again dwindled to almost nothing in recent times.

And we have to hope there isn't a lockout. That will kill any momentum.

The Bobcats really rose in the attendance standings I've noticed to the mid 15,000s.

I think the Pacers might go a bit higher than that.

A lockout might have some impact on people wanting to buy ticket packs.

Between the NFL and the NBA, those in Indy will have nothing to do if they both reach the start of the season.

Psyren
04-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Agreed.

A few days ago leaving work I put on a more relaxing change of clothes that included a Pacer sweatshirt. On my way out of the building in the elevator I had a lady say "Go Pacers" after seeing my shirt, and while walking to my car in the parking garage I had a guy say "It's a shame they didn't win, I'm really starting to get behind this team".

Normally my Pacers gear draws little to no attention.

Cherokee
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
My oldest son is not an NBA fan at all. However, today he told me he watched the Pacers playing Game 2 in Chicago and was really impressed with them. He said he hopes that Collison can go Thursday because he thought the Pacers could get one of these upcoming home games. He said he could see why I like the Pacers. I was surprised to say the least.

CircleCity3318
04-21-2011, 01:26 AM
All these stories are fantastic by the way. This should equate to a higher attendance number next year which is exactly what the Pacers organization needs.

TMJ31
04-21-2011, 03:07 AM
I am so encouraged by hearing all this.

Obviously, living out here in La La Land, no one gives a rats behind about our beloved Pacers because it's 'ALL BOUT DA BLACK MAMBA BABY!1!!1!!!'

I am so thrilled to hear that the local fans are starting to come out of their long hibernation :)

Eleazar
04-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Hoosiers cannot resist basketball when it is good basketball.

mattie
04-21-2011, 04:25 AM
I hear everyone talking about Pacers too.. So exciting! And no matter what has happened over the last 5 years, anytime someone talks about the Pacers it has always been the same regardless-"I stopped watching because Reggie retired, or I stopped watching because I was tired of watching thugs"

Now the only thing I hear is, "I love watching Paul George" or "Tyler Hansbrough is awesome" etc... People are falling in love with the team all over!

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I want to know what the local TV ratings are for the first two games. Antecdotes are good, but the TV ratings will tell me a lot more about interest.

National interest in the pacers vs Bulls is really high, about as high as Celts vs Knicks.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/04/nba-playoffs-tnts-ratings-up-27-on.html

NBA Playoffs: TNT's Ratings Up 27% on Through Tuesday (http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/04/nba-playoffs-tnts-ratings-up-27-on.html)

Boosted by the Pacers/Bulls and Knicks/Celtics series, the 2011 NBA Playoffs continue to attract strong numbers on TNT.

TNT is averaging a 2.8 U.S. rating and 4.376 million viewers for coverage of the 2011 NBA Playoffs through Tuesday, up 27% in ratings and 29% in viewership from the comparable point last year (2.2, 3.383M).

On Tuesday, Game 2 between the Knicks and Celtics drew a 3.0 U.S. rating and 4.730 million viewers, up 58% in ratings and 65% in viewership from last year (MIA/BOS G2: 1.9, 2.874M), and up 25% and 28%, respectively, from 2009 (DET/CLE G2: 2.4, 3.699M).

The first two games of the Knicks/Celtics series have each drawn at least 3% of U.S. TV homes. To put that in perspective, only two first round games on cable hit that mark last year -- Games 5 and 6 of the Thunder/Lakers series.

Later Tuesday night, Trail Blazers/Mavericks Game 2 drew a 2.5 and 3.846 million viewers, flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from last year (OKC/LAL G2: 2.5, 3.741M), and up 4% and 7%, respectively, from 2009 (UTA/LAL G2: 2.4, 3.607M).

Monday night, the Bulls' Game 2 win over the Pacers drew a 3.1 and 4.908 million viewers, up 48% in ratings and 56% in viewership from last year (UTA/DEN G2: 2.1, 3.149M), and up 48% and 65%, respectively, from 2009 (DAL/SA G2: 2.1, 2.983M).

Pacers/Bulls Game 2 stands as the second-most viewed game of the playoffs on cable through Tuesday night.

In Monday's early game, Miami's Game 2 blowout of the 76ers drew a 2.1 and 3.402 million viewers, down 19% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year (CHI/CLE G2: 2.6, 3.907M), and down 19% and 10%, respectively, from 2009 (CHI/BOS G2: 2.6, 3.760M).

Though the Heat have been the driving force behind the NBA's increased ratings this season, Monday's numbers indicate that the 76ers/Heat series may not be as enthralling to viewers as Pacers/Bulls. Of course, Monday's disparity can be at least partly attributed to the later timeslot for the Pacers/Bulls game.

Thursday night, Heat/76ers Game 3 will air on TNT, while Bulls/Pacers Game 3 airs on NBA TV.

(Numbers from Turner Sports; additional information from

duke dynamite
04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
There are a few people down here in Bloomington and I've seen someone in a Pacers shirt in Bedford this past week, too.

Unclebuck
04-21-2011, 08:53 AM
here is some news about the national ratings for Saturdays game #1

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/04/nba-playoffs-pacersbulls-leads-way-for.html

NBA Playoffs: Pacers/Bulls Leads the Way For ESPN Saturday (http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/04/nba-playoffs-pacersbulls-leads-way-for.html)

The 2011 NBA Playoffs got off to a strong start on ESPN, led by Game 1 of the Pacers/Bulls series.

ESPN drew a 2.4 U.S. rating and 3.567 million viewers for the Bulls' win over the Pacers Saturday afternoon, up 20% in ratings and 23% in viewership from 2009 (CHI/BOS G1: 2.0, 2.893M), and up 26% and 28%, respectively, from 2008 (WSH/CLE G1: 1.9, 2.798M).

There was no game in the comparable timeslot (1 PM ET) last year. The first game of last year's tripleheader (MIL/ATL G1: 5:30 PM ET) drew a 1.5 and 2.160 million viewers.

Pacers/Bulls Game 1 ranks as ESPN's highest rated opening weekend NBA Playoff game since Rockets/Lakers Game 1 in 2004 (2.7).

Later Saturday, the Hawks' Game 1 win over the Magic drew a 2.1 and 3.328 million viewers, down 16% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year (MIA/BOS G1: 2.5, 3.821M), but up 24% and 38%, respectively, from 2009 (DAL/SA G1: 1.7, 2.416M).

Excluding games on ABC (ratings for those telecasts are not yet available), Hawks/Magic was the only playoff game of the weekend to have a decline in ratings or viewership versus last year's comparable window.

In the nightcap, the Trail Blazers' Game 1 loss to the Mavericks drew a 2.1 and 3.456 million viewers, up 11% in ratings and 18% in viewership from last year (UTA/DEN G1: 1.9, 2.921M), and flat in ratings and up 12% in viewership from 2009 (HOU/POR G1: 2.1, 3.091M).

BPump33
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
I know I should be happy about this, but the same people who gave me crap all season long about the "Pacers sucking" are wearing Pacers gear in my office today. Sometimes I truly hate this city.

Good for the Pacers, though.

dohman
04-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Lets pray we see about 18,000 pacers shirts tonight.

NuffSaid
04-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I live 3 states down and some coworker friends of mine and a few of my neighbors know I'm a "Yankee living in the south" and that I'm a Pacers/Colts/Notre Dame fan. When they started asking me about the Pacers/Bulls series...

I'll say that again...

...the "Pacers"/Bulls series, not Bulls/Pacers...

...I knew this team had started to raise eyebrows again in a positive way. Most people I've talked to clearly acknowledge that the Bulls are lucky to be up 2-0. Many even complained about the poor officiating that favored the Bulls both games.

So, yeah. It's not just locally; the Pacers have gained the attention of people far outside Naptown. I just wish I could spare the time and get a few tickets to the home games. :(

NuffSaid
04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
I know I should be happy about this, but the same people who gave me crap all season long about the "Pacers sucking" are wearing Pacers gear in my office today. Sometimes I truly hate this city.

Good for the Pacers, though.
That's fickled fandom for you.

I think all Pacers fans wanted was for this team to stay out of trouble and just compete every game. It's also clear they hated Jim O'Brien and didn't think he could take this team to the next level and put them back on path to the post-season despite all the assurances he made to get their.

The fans have jump behind the team because the team has jumped behind Vogel. He made the difference! He has us all believing again.

Trader Joe
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
In 49 states it's just basketball...

Anthem
04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Hoosiers cannot resist basketball when it is good basketball.
I think this is absolutely true. I know the kind of basketball I want to watch my team play, and this is it.

It's not Obie-ball.

Major Cold
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah cause if I was a casual fan I would love staying up late on a work night to watch Chicago instead of Miami. :eyeroll:

Trophy
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
It'll be nice to watch crowds next season like the ones back from the Reggie days.

Makes everyone watching the game pumped up when it's filled and everyone is up cheering for the home team.

GoUEAces
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry to admit that I was one of the guys who lost interest after Reggie retired. I still tried to have the same passion for them as I did before but it just wasn't the same. But now after watching several games this season and the the first two games of this series I am fully behind the Pacers once again. I haven't seen a Pacer team hustle and dive on the floor as much as this team did in the first two games for a very long time. By the way, here at UE I saw a couple of Pacer jerseys yesterday!

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
BEFORE (2007-2011)

http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/IndianaPacers/newinterior.jpg

AFTER (2011-present)

http://visitindy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/conseco-fieldhouse.jpg?w=592

...crowd looks like it did back before 2006

rock747
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I am definetly noticing the bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork.... but that's a GOOD sign for the Pacers.... You don't think OKC would be selling out every game if their team wasn't making the playoffs do you? Bandwagon fans are part of a teams success too....

Hicks
04-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I wish we'd get a new floor. I've ever much liked this one. Hell, maybe even just making the out of bounds yellow instead of sickly wood would do the trick.

Eddie Gill
04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I agree with Hicks about the floor. I wish we would just go back to the old design with the yellow instead of the blue. Although I guess just adding some blue around the out of bounds area would be ok.

Minutia, I know, but it's always bothered me.

Psyren
04-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I am definetly noticing the bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork.... but that's a GOOD sign for the Pacers.... You don't think OKC would be selling out every game if their team wasn't making the playoffs do you? Bandwagon fans are part of a teams success too....

Agreed. It's definitely got out of hand, but hey, welcome to Indiana :rolleyes:

I've had more people at my work come up and talk Pacers with me in the last week than I have in 5 years.

Indianapolis = Bandwagon city.

But it's good for the team and the city, just slightly annoying.

tfarks
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I love the bandwagoners. Or I think as others have accurately pointed out, the returners. I'm guessing Herb Simon does even more.

Fills up the fieldhouse, brings in a ton more revenue, and stops foreign invasion/gives us homecourt advantage. Some of the games I went to this year I felt like almost no one was there. Much more important than what people think their merits as a fan is.

If you were here through all the losing, then you know who you are. The winning at the end is just more sweet to you than it is to them. Its worth it.

NuffSaid
04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
BEFORE (2007-2011)

http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/IndianaPacers/newinterior.jpg

AFTER (2011-present)

http://visitindy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/conseco-fieldhouse.jpg?w=592

...crowd looks like it did back before 2006

Not quite.

If you look close enough at the first pic, you can the empty seats in the middle and upper decks compared to the second pic where it appears most seats are full. Regardless, it's good to see in the more recent pic the fans returning. (Of course, that could've been one of those nights the fans came out for the "other" team. Hard to say; the court is empty of players so you don't know who the visiting team was. Still, I'd rather hold to the belief that the Fieldhouse was full of Pacers fans that day.:mrgreen:)

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Not quite.

If you look close enough at the first pic, you can the empty seats in the middle and upper decks compared to the second pic where it appears most seats are full. Regardless, it's good to see in the more recent pic the fans returning. (Of course, that could've been one of those nights the fans came out for the "other" team. Hard to say; the court is empty of players so you don't know who the visiting team was. Still, I'd rather hold to the belief that the Fieldhouse was full of Pacers fans that day.:mrgreen:)

My avatar shows a packed house that's pretty recent.

I was doing a quick search of a small crowd vs. a large crowd at the Fieldhouse.

The second picture, I feel we'll see more of next season and into the future than the upper one.

The one above looks like there were maybe 10,000 and the one below a near sellout.

This is probably what we'll see rougly most nights. Pretty much most Friday and Saturdays.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/355904473_a9ab051d7a.jpg

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I wish we'd get a new floor. I've ever much liked this one. Hell, maybe even just making the out of bounds yellow instead of sickly wood would do the trick.

I like our current floor.

I did like the MSA paint that had the small logo as the key.

pacer4ever
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
My avatar shows a packed house that's pretty recent.

I was doing a quick search of a small crowd vs. a large crowd at the Fieldhouse.

The second picture, I feel we'll see more of next season and into the future than the upper one.

The one above looks like there were maybe 10,000 and the one below a near sellout.

This is probably what we'll see rougly most nights. Pretty much most Friday and Saturdays.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/355904473_a9ab051d7a.jpg
We will sell out vs the top tierd teams and thats abut all. Most of them will be wearing the other teams gear also.

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
We will sell at vs the top tierd teams and thats abut all. Most of them will be wearing the other teams gear also.

I don't think we will average sellouts every game, but more than this season and in the past 4 years. More on Fridays and Saturdays most likely.

What I am saying here is that we will average 16,000+ people per game next season to see the Pacers.

Yeah bandwagon fans will still come out like they do for every team, but I still think the Pacers fans will pack the Fieldhouse most nights.

TinManJoshua
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Have they ever considered using a curtain on the upper deck for poorly attended games?

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Have they ever considered using a curtain on the upper deck for poorly attended games?

I always sit down low and I looked up during the season and it looks pretty scary up there because of how dark and dead silent it is.

When the place is packed, every section and deck is fun to be in.

pacer4ever
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I always sit down low and I looked up during the season and it looks pretty scary up there because of how dark and dead silent it is.

When the place is packed, every section and deck is fun to be in.

you think the fieldhouse is dark go to the bradley center

Scot Pollard
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM
you think the fieldhouse is dark go to the bradley center

the fieldhouse is not dark at all just upstairs seeing those dark green seats makes it appear dark

ive been to the bradley center and that place is a dump and cannot even compare to the fieldhouse and the lighting there was incredibly ****ty

pacers_heath
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
i swear this series is getting more attention nationally than when we played the pistons in the 2004 conference finals