PDA

View Full Version : A Closer

graphic-er
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
So now that this team is has shown it can hang with the best, it seems that all is need is a closer. Who is that player we should target this offseason? I don't think there exists one in the FA market, so who do you trade for and who are you willing to give up to get them? My first choice would be Eric Gordon, but realistically it seems unlikely to be able to pry him away from LA unless Eric himself asked to be traded this offseason and sorta did the whole I'll only go to Indiana card.

So who is out there, that this team can realistically get?

MTM
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Overpay for a guy like Rip Hamilton as a backup 2 to add veteran savvy?

yoadknux
04-19-2011, 10:43 AM
We need a guy who can create his own shot. Not a screen-shoot type.

xIndyFan
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
paul george will be the closer by this time next season. the awesome flying octopus of a closer.

instead of a new closer, pacers need to keep looking for a big that can rebound and protect the basket. and rebound.

did i mention a rebounder?

graphic-er
04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll throw out 2 names ,aside from OJ Mayo, that are some what underrated right now in the league who both available in the summer.

Barbosa and Nick Young.

Barbosa is on a terrible team, but he can create his own shot. Defense is shaky.

Young, terrific scorer, but honestly I question whether he is legit or just a chucker.

I like Mayo too, but I dont' know about his size and defense, not to mention his attitude. I question where he can Granger can exist from a chemistry stand point. Especially after Granger threw the ball at him last time.

xIndyFan
04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
We need a guy who can create his own shot. Not a screen-shoot type.

a screen and shoot has to be the short term solution right now. better screens would help. pacer bigs are horrible screeners. but pacers went to the ECF multiple times using a screen and shoot to finish. so it does work if you execute.

bellisimo
04-19-2011, 10:54 AM
a screen and shoot has to be the short term solution right now. better screens would help. pacer bigs are horrible screeners. but pacers went to the ECF multiple times using a screen and shoot to finish. so it does work if you execute.

if we could execute it i'd be thrilled to see it with Danny/Paul/Dundun...but it seems as if we can't get the balance right or these guys just can't shake off defense like Reggie used to do using screens....

Speed
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't think it has to be a shot taker, but at least a shot creator. Someone that requires a double team and can still pass out of it.

Isn't there a matrix that shows clutchness, is there a hidden gem to be found in those numbers?

xIndyFan
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
if we could execute it i'd be thrilled to see it with Danny/Paul/Dundun...but it seems as if we can't get the balance right or these guys just can't shake off defense like Reggie used to do using screens....

this is something i think the team could work on the next couple of days. some kind of low cross screen thing like jalen and reggie used to do. especially if TJ and AJ have to run the point. they seem to be better passers than DC, but not as effective offensively. there does need to be a better commitment to the screening process by the bigs though. pacer bigs tend to slip screens even when they don't have too.

truth to tell, wish the pacers could borrow kurt thomas. having kurt and jeff set the screens would solve the problem of getting guys open. :laugh:

pizza guy
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Just throwing out a name that is proven to be good in the clutch, but wouldn't be high on my list in any way, but probably will be available when his team flops in the playoffs again: Gilbert Arenas.

Next, and again, not high on the list, but Jerryd Bayless is good at getting to the rim down the stretch, and can make shots or free throws. He's not much of a shooter though, and I'm still not impressed with his overall game.

Eric Gordon is top of the list. Without a doubt, EJ coming to Indy would probably be the best thing that could happen.

Here's a fun note. Not only is Kevin Martin terrible on defense, but he also drops off in the clutch.

All research done through nba.com StatsCube where clutch is defined as the last 5 minutes of a game within a 5 point differential.

PR07
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
This person has to be able to create off the dribble.

PacersRule
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think it has to be a shot taker, but at least a shot creator. Someone that requires a double team and can still pass out of it.

Isn't there a matrix that shows clutchness, is there a hidden gem to be found in those numbers?

Iguodala.

Lou Bega
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
The team will have to move Granger or just let the young guns develop (George/Tyler). When Reggie was late in his career with the Pacers a younger version of JO was hitting some game winners.

It will be interesting to see who is available at 15 and what position the organization targets. Burks on Colorado seems to be able to score, not sure if he can do it the league and same goes for Jimmer.

I really think the disparity in rebounding is hurting this team as much as not being able to close in this series.

pizza guy
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
This may not be the intended direction of this thread, but I think it's a relevant question.

Is public opinion of trading Granger changing? There have been a lot of us on PD who have actively campaigned for trading Danny, others who actively campaign against it, and still others who qualify with "for the right deal, I would."

My question is a little more specific, though. Are we reaching a point where we would rather see Granger traded away for a different type of scorer (creator and clutch) than see him stay? Are we moving towards a belief that as long as we keep Danny, he will stand in the way of further progress?

I am. Danny is probably our best asset because he is a known quantity that would be very valuable to a competitive team, and it's clear that with Danny as our "leader," we're not going to get over the mediocrity hump. I'm wondering if that's becoming the predominant opinion yet.

LA_Confidential
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Whoever it is, the guy has to be an attacker. Monta Ellis comes to mind but he takes too many shots.

PaceBalls
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
If they ran the same plays for Paul that they do for Danny and tried to get him the ball in an ISO, we would have no need for this discussion. Next year or the year after Paul will be the go to guy in end game situations.

Danny is a great scorer, but he is a terrible closer. In the end he doesn't trust his teammates and tends to play Hero ball.

Slick Pinkham
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
This may not be the intended direction of this thread, but I think it's a relevant question.

Is public opinion of trading Granger changing? There have been a lot of us on PD who have actively campaigned for trading Danny, others who actively campaign against it, and still others who qualify with "for the right deal, I would."

I thought that Paul and Danny were small forwards, PERIOD.

I was completely dead wrong, at least with respect to defensive ability. As I think Anthem said in an other thread, if Paul can guard D Rose, are there any 2 guards that he cannot defend? The answer is no. So if he improves his offense, Paul and Danny should start on the wings next year and beyond.

I'd like a tough rebounding and attack-the-rim PF to start over Tyler. We can't keep getting pounded on the boards like this. Tyler would be a great 1st big off the bench on a good team.

pizza guy
04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Tyler can improve his rebounding, and he'll be fine as the starter.

Shade
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Ray Allen?

If the Celtics come up short again, Ainge may decide to blow it up and start rebuilding next season. They're getting really old.

Shade
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see us save our $$$ this off-season and instead go hard after Dwight Howard and Eric Gordon next season. I think we'd have enough cap space to sign both of them if they'd be willing to come here. EJ will be a RFA, but this is the Clippers we're talking about. Simply offer him more than Sterling would be willing to pay.

Hibbert
Howard
Granger
Gordon
Collison

Tyler off the bench and George backing up Danny and EJ. That roster would be a title contender.

:drool:

Speed
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Iguodala.

I'm thinking Phillie may realize how good he is now, though. Great idea, though.

righteouscool
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see us save our $$$ this off-season and instead go hard after Dwight Howard and Eric Gordon next season. I think we'd have enough cap space to sign both of them if they'd be willing to come here. EJ will be a RFA, but this is the Clippers we're talking about. Simply offer him more than Sterling would be willing to pay.

Hibbert
Howard
Granger
Gordon
Collison

Tyler off the bench and George backing up Danny and EJ. That roster would be a title contender.

Can you imagine Granger and Gordon playing off Howard and Hibbert at the three point line?

To bad it is a pipe dream. . .

Hicks
04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
The thing is, I could see Darren or Paul or both developing into a closer.

Most likely that will need to be Paul because if Paul can do it, he's doing it at 6'9", where as Darren is 6'0". But Darren has shown an ability to create his own shots. I don't know if he can go any further with it, but if he adds more moves or more counter moves, I could see DC being a closer.

I'm really hoping Paul does because he's already shown flashes of being able to do it, and even out for a 3 point shot. At his height and length, becoming proficient at creating off the dribble from anywhere would be a devastating weapon to have.

At this point, I'm more hoping we pursue a big, strong, space-eating, player-dislodging big man.

Did Nene ever sign an extension with Denver? To be honest, I expect them to keep him, but I'd love, love, love to add him as our starting PF and backup C, allowing Tyler and Nene to be our secondary front court.

If not him, we still need to find a really big and strong guy who can get the boards our current crop can't get. I'm still interested in Emeka Okafor as well.

vnzla81
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Jamal Crawford is one guy that is clutch and can create his own shot, Ben Gordon is another name, Michael Redd if he still have anything left, Butler comes to mind also.

Lou Bega
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Right now Paul George does not have the ball handling or driving ability to be a "closer" in this league. He must develop that part of his game and this why I am such a fan of never tanking b/c Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough, Roy Hibbert & Darren Collison are learning what it takes to win in this league.

Playoffs > Ping Pong Balls

Kid Minneapolis
04-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I think Paul is a great talent, but if there's *anything* in his game that he needs major work on right now, it's ball-handling and isolating and driving past guys. He's completely a spot-up shooter or transition finisher right now.

You guys saying he's going to be our closer in a few years may want to rethink.

CableKC
04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Iguodala.
I doubt that the Sixers move him. Even if it did...it would likely cost us PG.

Doddage
04-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Hibbert
Howard
Granger
Gordon
Collison

Dude, no offense, but get real. There's a snowball's chance in hell that Dwight Howard comes to Indiana.

Justin Tyme
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Barbosa

We can agree on something!

I"ve been thinking about Barbosa for awhile, previous to the Toronto game, and he looked good in the Toronto game. He seems to have his game back now. He can slash to be basket and shoot the 3 as well. Not to mention he can play some PG. He's only 6'3", but I'd be very interested in him.

yoadknux
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Hibbert
Howard
Granger
Gordon
Collison

We won't have enough cap for that, Hibbert expires the same time the other guys do

Unclebuck
04-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I think Paul is a great talent, but if there's *anything* in his game that he needs major work on right now, it's ball-handling and isolating and driving past guys. He's completely a spot-up shooter or transition finisher right now.

He's not Lebron, but he is better at that than Granger right now.

owl
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
paul george will be the closer by this time next season. the awesome flying octopus of a closer.

instead of a new closer, pacers need to keep looking for a big that can rebound and protect the basket. and rebound.

did i mention a rebounder?

I have been on this bandwagon for a long time. Priory number one in the offseason.

yoadknux
04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
He's not Lebron, but he is better at that than Granger right now.
Based on the 0 Drive-and-finish/Drive-and-foul he had done all season long?

troyc11a
04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Iguodala.

O' Man would I love that!
But seriously, does anyone really think there is a chance Philly lets him go now? They started playing good towards the end. He is a stud on both ends of the court! Get him, a catch and shoot guy, and a PF/C combo player to help with rebounding!

troyc11a
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
If they ran the same plays for Paul that they do for Danny and tried to get him the ball in an ISO, we would have no need for this discussion. Next year or the year after Paul will be the go to guy in end game situations.

Danny is a great scorer, but he is a terrible closer. In the end he doesn't trust his teammates and tends to play Hero ball.

In English = thats called choking!

ilive4sports
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Iguodala is not the answer (get it? cause his initials are also AI, its ok, I know its a terrible pun). The guy is 4 for 15 in the playoffs so far. He had a chance to come up big in game one at the end and didn't. He settled for a bad three and he's not even a three point shooter.

I'd rather let Paul George develop into our closer. We saw what he can do at the end of quarters. We will see what he can do at the end of games sooner than later.

pacers_heath
04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I really hope we can somehow muster up enough dough to go after rebounding powerhouse, Troy Murphy. I know he doesn't play defense, but he's a forward that can really stretch the defense with his three point shot, which will without a doubt put this team over the top.

He was second in the league in rebounding two seasons ago and was surely a valuable asset to whatever team he played for

Scot Pollard
04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
How about this proud Hoosier?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/eric-gordon.jpg

He can wear his #23 here.

Yes I would trade Danny for him (S&T).

troyc11a
04-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I really hope we can somehow muster up enough dough to go after rebounding powerhouse, Troy Murphy. I know he doesn't play defense, but he's a forward that can really stretch the defense with his three point shot, which will without a doubt put this team over the top.

He was second in the league in rebounding two seasons ago and was surely a valuable asset to whatever team he played for

Double-Doubles arent good enough for us. We want sooooooooooo much more!

troyc11a
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
How about this proud Hoosier?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/eric-gordon.jpg

He can wear his #23 here.

Yes I would trade Danny for him (S&T).

Man you dont want to trade DG for him. You want him to play with DG! I dont know if I would give up George for him though. Gordon doesnt play a lick of defense. Reminds me of Monta Ellis, just cheaper.

Gamble1
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Iguodala is not the answer (get it? cause his initials are also AI, its ok, I know its a terrible pun). The guy is 4 for 15 in the playoffs so far. He had a chance to come up big in game one at the end and didn't. He settled for a bad three and he's not even a three point shooter.

I'd rather let Paul George develop into our closer. We saw what he can do at the end of quarters. We will see what he can do at the end of games sooner than later.
I sort of agree that Iggy is not the closer that he is made out to be but the guy would be a legit asset to the team. If it didn't cost us a core guy then I would do it for 2 first round draft picks.

I would look for a young option. PG maybe it but I wouldn't rely totally on him to pan out.

Eleazar
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Man you dont want to trade DG for him. You want him to play with DG! I dont know if I would give up George for him though. Gordon doesnt play a lick of defense. Reminds me of Monta Ellis, just cheaper.

I wouldn't give up George for him, but I would give up Granger.

That seems contrary to what people have been saying all year. Most people were saying his defense was one of his strong points? Also if he doesn't play defense wouldn't you want him playing beside someone who does play defense, instead of someone who only occasionally plays defense?

troyc11a
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't give up George for him, but I would give up Granger.

That seems contrary to what people have been saying all year. Most people were saying his defense was one of his strong points? Also if he doesn't play defense wouldn't you want him playing beside someone who does play defense, instead of someone who only occasionally plays defense?

If we trade DG for him then we no longer have 2 scoring options. I never heard anyone say anything good about his defense except for a couple Gordon lovers on this board. He is to short to play that good of "d".
I watched him quit on Dakich along with the other thugs. I really dont want anything to do with him.

Hicks
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Danny for Gordon works for me because that means we can start at 2/3 Gordon/George, which sounds awesome to me.

Trophy
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
It seems like either Danny or Paul would go for Gordon.

I'm reluctant to trade Paul so I'd probably trade Danny for Gordon. As much as I wouldn't want to trade Danny, I'd trade Gordon. He seems like he's going to be a really solid SG who will make crazy shots left and right. His defense is still improving too, but it doesn't look bad so far.

I think both Paul and Eric would work pretty well with each other.

Collison/Gordon/George/Hansbrough/Hibbert seems good to me.

Young
04-19-2011, 11:28 PM
The best option for the Pacers is probably OJ Mayo. When you consider talent, potential, and what it will cost the team.

In most cases trading Danny is not going to improve this team.

Jamal Crawford and Barbosa were mentioned and they would be good fits. I like Ben Gordon but I don't think that the Pacers and Pistons are good trade partners. Plus I don't know that the Pistons even want to move Gordon.

I'd give John Salmons a look. Like with the Pistons and Gordon I don't know that the Bucks want to trade Salmons but it is worth looking into.

A guy to also consider is Marcus Thronton. He is a restricted free agent with the Kings and I am guessing they would match an offer for him. He would be a really good addition to this team though.

Also why would the Clippers trade Eric Gordon at this point?

Trophy
04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd be happy with Mayo and he seems like a realistic option and I still think Bird will get this deal done over the summer.

I'd do Josh (S&T), Brandon and 2011 First for Mayo.

We get to still keep Danny and we add Mayo who has a lot of potential.

There's a good amount of PFs we can choose from to backup Tyler.

Not that getting Gordon isn't realistic, but it'll take a lot more to get him.

sopgy
04-19-2011, 11:56 PM
As much as people here don't like him, I think Monta Ellis.

Just to refresh your memory he killed us this year at the end of the game.

http://www.nba.com/games/20110119/INDGSW/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Dude can score and that is exactly what we need (plus a stud big man)

croz24
04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Dude, no offense, but get real. There's a snowball's chance in hell that Dwight Howard comes to Indiana.

aim high. can't say i'm the biggest dwight fan but if we manage our cap space and don't overspend this offseason, ej is a definite possibility. again, IF we are able to work the cap well enough and hibbert/george/collison take an even bigger step next year, i wouldn't be shocked if dwight gave us a look given our youth and talent. it all depends on how well we can manage the cap and develop our young guys. chances are close to slim and none. but i won't say none at this point in time.

Constellations
04-20-2011, 01:13 AM
I have to be honest and bold. Although he is one my favorite players, Eric Gordon will not be traded by the Clippers. They are obviously gonna build around Gordon/Kaman/Griffin. Which is stud imo. Although I'd love to have him.

I would really like to pursuit K Love. Double-Double Machine. Solves our rebounding hands down lol. Scoring on the other hand, whats to complain about, he'll score anywhere from 12 to 30 ppg. Ill take it.

PacersRule
04-20-2011, 01:36 AM

I pointed out Iguodala because Speed talked about a guy that not necessarily has to take the last shot, but has the ability to create the last shot. The only guy on the Pacers roster right now I can think of that fits the bill (kind of) is Collison, but obviously that is not enough. Out of all the possible targets out there (Kevin Martin, Ellis, Gordon...), I feel like Iguodala would be the easiest to trade for. Mainly because he sucked during the playoffs, and also Philly has too many wings and not enough bigs. If it is possible to get Iguodala using Hansbrough as the trade centerpiece, I think Pacers should take a hard look at it.

Trading Hansbrough away would be tough, so this whole thing also depends on whether we have a shot at signing Josh Smith (or any other legit PF). Assuming we can, then acquiring Iguodala would make the Pacers a lot better IMO. I'll admit I haven't watched a lot of Philly vs Heat games so this is just based off of pure logic/assumptions, but maybe the reason Iguodala hasn't played well so far is because Philly doesn't have a lot of quality players (less than Pacers anyway), so Heat players can easily crowd in on Iguodala when he gets the ball into the lane. If Iggy was on the Pacers though, he has Granger, Collison, George, (Josh Smith),and Hibbert around him so teams wouldn't be able to double every time, so he can either put up a shot himself, or use his great passing skills for an assist. Either way, I feel like Iguodala could be a very good shot creator if he were a Pacer.

Also, don't know much about this player so I'm just kind of throwing it out there...Rodney Stuckey?

graphic-er
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I pointed out Iguodala because Speed talked about a guy that not necessarily has to take the last shot, but has the ability to create the last shot. The only guy on the Pacers roster right now I can think of that fits the bill (kind of) is Collison, but obviously that is not enough. Out of all the possible targets out there (Kevin Martin, Ellis, Gordon...), I feel like Iguodala would be the easiest to trade for. Mainly because he sucked during the playoffs, and also Philly has too many wings and not enough bigs. If it is possible to get Iguodala using Hansbrough as the trade centerpiece, I think Pacers should take a hard look at it.

Trading Hansbrough away would be tough, so this whole thing also depends on whether we have a shot at signing Josh Smith (or any other legit PF). Assuming we can, then acquiring Iguodala would make the Pacers a lot better IMO. I'll admit I haven't watched a lot of Philly vs Heat games so this is just based off of pure logic/assumptions, but maybe the reason Iguodala hasn't played well so far is because Philly doesn't have a lot of quality players (less than Pacers anyway), so Heat players can easily crowd in on Iguodala when he gets the ball into the lane. If Iggy was on the Pacers though, he has Granger, Collison, George, (Josh Smith),and Hibbert around him so teams wouldn't be able to double every time, so he can either put up a shot himself, or use his great passing skills for an assist. Either way, I feel like Iguodala could be a very good shot creator if he were a Pacer.

Also, don't know much about this player so I'm just kind of throwing it out there...Rodney Stuckey?

Stuckey is intriguing, but honesty I wouldn't want to touch any of those detroit players. Stuckey refused to check back into the game several times this season. You want that guy in a Pacers Uni?

graphic-er
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Ellis is a very intriguing player, one of the best scorers in the league easily, ice cold killer blood. But he does not play sound defense. But he could be had this offseason for Hibbert. Warriors have said they want a legit big man to build around.

It really sucks that we don't have Mayo in uniform right now. His asking price will shoot up this offseason, because 1. Grizz know we want him. 2. He has been playing rather well as of late.

CableKC
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Ellis is a very intriguing player, one of the best scorers in the league easily, ice cold killer blood. But he does not play sound defense. But he could be had this offseason for Hibbert. Warriors have said they want a legit big man to build around.
Pass then....Hibbert is a no go for me...even for Monta.

NOTE - This does not mean that Hibbert > Monta...it means that although Monta is a very good Player to have on your Team....but having a legit Center is as hard to find.

It really sucks that we don't have Mayo in uniform right now. His asking price will shoot up this offseason, because 1. Grizz know we want him. 2. He has been playing rather well as of late.
I counter that the Pacers are one of the few Teams in the League that (1) has a need for a Starting quality SG that is paid $5.4+ mil in the 2011-2012 season and (2) can send no 2011-2012 Salary back to the Grizzlies.

The 2nd part is more important as the Grizzlies will likely be looking to shed guaranteed Salary ( without taking any back ) IF they want to re-sign Gasol ( which they can...regardless of how much he is offered as a RFA ) while trying to remain under any likely Luxury Tax that they'd have to pay for that season.

CableKC
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Stuckey is intriguing, but honesty I wouldn't want to touch any of those detroit players. Stuckey refused to check back into the game several times this season. You want that guy in a Pacers Uni?
If he can be had for a reasonable price, yes...I'd want Stuckey in a Pacers uni. Although KStat can expand on it....there was a dispute between the Coach and the Players. Is it possible that he can have the same problem with any Coach in the future? Yes, but with likely Coaching candidates such as Mike Brown and Vogel....I doubt that it would be an issue here.

I'm not saying that what he did was right...I'm just saying that the risk isn't as great as the reward given the caliber of Player involved. As far as I know...there isn't a history of this behavior from Stuckey outside of this issue with Kuester.

Kraft
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
After two playoff games, it's really kind of sad how much the O.J. Mayo deal would've made sense -- talent-wise -- for this team. The deal might have hurt the front court a bit, although McRoberts has been meh for the series ... almost disinterested at times in my mind.

But when Collison comes out, there's not a single perimeter player that can attack the basket with regularity. Mayo would've filled that gaping hole.

CableKC
04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
After two playoff games, it's really kind of sad how much the O.J. Mayo deal would've made sense -- talent-wise -- for this team. The deal might have hurt the front court a bit, although McRoberts has been meh for the series ... almost disinterested at times in my mind.

But when Collison comes out, there's not a single perimeter player that can attack the basket with regularity. Mayo would've filled that gaping hole.
I haven't paid attention enough when it comes to Mayo....but it's been said that we need a Player that can create for himself and/or others.

I always thought that Mayo was more of a scorer that has potential :shrug:

Is he a Player that can "create" his own shot and/or for others?

troyc11a
04-20-2011, 01:38 PM

I would love to add Iggy. He would be one of my first choices but I would not want to give away any of the foundational peices for him because there are several other players who could be had for much less. We could really get Mayo for nothing and still have money to add a frontcourt player to compliment Hibbert and Hans. If we trade a center piece for Iggy, we have to add that center piece plus another part or two with no real money to get it done.
I would be interested in Iggy for the pick, and maybe George. But no way I give up a big. They are to hard to find. Not saying Hans is better than George. Just harder to replace if traded for Iggy. Iggy replaces and upgrades George!

Kraft
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM

I think the biggest difference in this series is that the Bulls' best player is Derrick Rose and that the Pacers' best player is Danny Granger.

Late in the game, when a basket is needed, the Bulls have options A, B, C and D. And they're all named Derrick Rose.

The Pacers have option C. His name's Danny Granger.

And while Deng can't lock down Granger for an entire game, when it comes to three possessions ... it's a different story.

A player who can take the ball at the rim late in a game is not on the Pacers' roster, unless you want to count Hansbrough. I'm not a gigantic fan of O.J. Mayo, but the guy can get to the rim. If a coach could teach him how to integrate the rest of his teammates after the drive, he'd be a fine offensive option.

But the Pacers don't even have the first half of the equation yet.

Speed
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I haven't paid attention enough when it comes to Mayo....but it's been said that we need a Player that can create for himself and/or others.

I always thought that Mayo was more of a scorer that has potential :shrug:

He's maybe not the answer, but I thought thats exactly what he could do, was get his own shot. You have to be careful, because if thats all he does, its a problem being part of a team. It's a little concerning Gay went down and Mayo still isn't a huge piece of what they are doing, outside of some scoring.

Ben Gordon was fools gold in Chicago, he looked all world clutch in the playoffs, then Detroit got him and he is a one dimensional undersized gunner. So, again you've got to be careful.

naptownmenace
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
This person has to be able to create off the dribble.

Monta Ellis is probably the best SG that will be available this summer. If they are really sold on PG as their future SF, they could trade Granger for him. Golden State has been rumored to want Danny for the past couple of seasons as well.

The great thing about Monta is he's quick, he can score from anywhere on the court, he's a good ball handler who you can run an isolation play at the end of a game for, and he is a terrific finisher who attacks the basket often. The bad thing about him is when his shot isn't falling he is a stone-cold chucker. He missed 21 shots in a game this season. His shot selection often is terrible. He's like Allen Iverson-lite. He's great as long as you surround him with defenders who can rebound and clean up his misses.

Gamble1
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I counter that the Pacers are one of the few Teams in the League that (1) has a need for a Starting quality SG that is paid $5.4+ mil in the 2011-2012 season and (2) can send no 2011-2012 Salary back to the Grizzlies.

The 2nd part is more important as the Grizzlies will likely be looking to shed guaranteed Salary ( without taking any back ) IF they want to re-sign Gasol ( which they can...regardless of how much he is offered as a RFA ) while trying to remain under any likely Luxury Tax that they'd have to pay for that season.
The Pacers are also one of the few teams that give a mid first round pick which won't cost the Grizz a lot in guaranted money as well.

ITs a win win for both teams and I hope they pull the trigger on such a trade.

croz24
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Monta Ellis is probably the best SG that will be available this summer. If they are really sold on PG as their future SF, they could trade Granger for him. Golden State has been rumored to want Danny for the past couple of seasons as well.

The great thing about Monta is he's quick, he can score from anywhere on the court, he's a good ball handler who you can run an isolation play at the end of a game for, and he is a terrific finisher who attacks the basket often. The bad thing about him is when his shot isn't falling he is a stone-cold chucker. He missed 21 shots in a game this season. His shot selection often is terrible. He's like Allen Iverson-lite. He's great as long as you surround him with defenders who can rebound and clean up his misses.

i'm not advocating going after ellis at all. but the guy is a 47% career fg shooter. for comparison, granger has a career 44fg% and iverson a career 42.5fg%. so while he can indeed get cold, like most great scorers he usually compensates by driving and finishing at the basket or getting to the ft line. i personally would rather have curry however.

Gamble1
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
They have a cheap version of Danny with Dorell Wright. I don't see us making a strong push for Ellis.

ilive4sports
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I dont like getting Monta. Our defensive back court would be way too week. Collison and Monta are both small for their positions and just aren't great defenders.

I still just want Paul George to develop. He has proven he can play the 2. I much rather keep a 1, 2, 3 of Collison, George, Granger than have Collison, Monta, George.

graphic-er
04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Mayo it is then! GO Bird gets us some OJ and Mayo!

The Jackson shimmy
04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
If we trade DG for him then we no longer have 2 scoring options. I never heard anyone say anything good about his defense except for a couple Gordon lovers on this board. He is to short to play that good of "d".
I watched him quit on Dakich along with the other thugs. I really dont want anything to do with him.

You might want to check with Dakich on that. You obviously
have no clue what you're talking about.

croz24
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM

tell sidney moncrief or joe dumars that eric gordon is "too short to play that good of d". not a very intelligent comment.

Exile on Pennsylvania
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM

Yeah, that was the opposite of true. Gordon played through a pretty serious injury while the rest of the team (sans DJ White) was, um, going up in a cloud of smoke. Gordon's behavior on that team is a positive, not a negative.

90'sNBARocked
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I realize this is unpopular and a BIG if, but

If Lance were to mature and develop he has , at least the mental aspect and physical tools to be a good closer

Closers are usually arrogant pricks

Doesnt that describe Lance?

seriously he is the "alpha male" and thats what a closer is.

LA_Confidential
04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I dont like getting Monta. Our defensive back court would be way too week. Collison and Monta are both small for their positions and just aren't great defenders.

I still just want Paul George to develop. He has proven he can play the 2. I much rather keep a 1, 2, 3 of Collison, George, Granger than have Collison, Monta, George.

If we had a Granger for Ellis deal on the table I would sacrifice Collison to get D. Wright. Ellis would be a top 5 player at the point while Paul George would still be our 2 guard.

How does Ellis, George, Wright sound to you.

pacer4ever
04-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Double D thinks he is a superstar in the making he has said it numerous times. He said the Pacers should do whatever they can to get him.

Pacerized
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't even consider trading Hans for Iggy. We already need a big next season and it would be a lot harder to replace Hans then find an alternative to Iggy. If the Sixers just wanted to dump salary I'd say look hard at bringing him in but I wouldn't give up any core players to get Iggy. Not only has he played poorly in the playoffs but his numbers have been down every year since he signed his current contract with a big drop this year. He makes more then Granger and doesn't bring what Granger does to the table. If Iggy were the answer we needed as a closer he'd be stepping up in the playoffs right now.

I agree that we do need a closer but most guys who fit that bill are all stars and not obtainable. It wouldn't make sense for us to trade a package of young prospects and picks for someone nearing the end of his career like Ray Allen. I just can't think of a great clutch player that's obtainable.

PacerHound
04-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Just a question about Eric Gordon as his name has been mentioned in this thread. Why was he so horrible at I.U.? Any ideas? I never could figure it out and after he became the player he has now in the NBA it is even a greater question with me. He could not hit his shots at I.U. among other things.

croz24
04-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Just a question about Eric Gordon as his name has been mentioned in this thread. Why was he so horrible at I.U.? Any ideas? I never could figure it out and after he became the player he has now in the NBA it is even a greater question with me. He could not hit his shots at I.U. among other things.

well he was big ten freshman of the year, 3rd team all-american, 1st team all big ten, iu's all time leading scorer for a freshman averaging 21ppg, all while battling a lingering wrist injury throughout the year...

90'sNBARocked
04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I wouldnt trade Granger for Elis but I would do something like this

Ellis/Udoh for Collison/Rush/McBob and a #1

90'sNBARocked
04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
well he was big ten freshman of the year, 3rd team all-american, 1st team all big ten, iu's all time leading scorer for a freshman averaging 21ppg, all while battling a lingering wrist injury throughout the year...

LoL

classic

MagicRat
04-20-2011, 08:29 PM
#winning closer......
http://blogs.bgsu.edu/wised/files/2009/04/mlvaughn1.jpg

90'sNBARocked
04-20-2011, 08:41 PM
#winning closer......
http://blogs.bgsu.edu/wised/files/2009/04/mlvaughn1.jpg

I heard MG give you a shout out this morning. He said Magic Rat , so I assumed it was you

I listen to the stream at work

vnzla81
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Monta Ellis numbers are huge, you would would have to give them more than that to get him, in fact if Monta comes here, he would be the Batman to our Robin(Danny)

QuickRelease
04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Jamal Crawford is one guy that is clutch and can create his own shot, Ben Gordon is another name, Michael Redd if he still have anything left, Butler comes to mind also.
I'd love Jamal Crawford!

troyc11a
04-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Monta Ellis numbers are huge, you would would have to give them more than that to get him, in fact if Monta comes here, he would be the Batman to our Robin(Danny)

What would we then do about the point guard position? I think I would rather deal for Curry if Collison is involved. What do we have that GS really wants other than Granger? Dont think they would want Collison since they have Curry. Might be hard to deal with them.

QuickRelease
04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
What would we then do about the point guard position? I think I would rather deal for Curry if Collison is involved. What do we have that GS really wants other than Granger? Dont think they would want Collison since they have Curry. Might be hard to deal with them.
I actually think, when playing at their peak, Collison is a harder player to deal with than Steph Curry (and I'm a big Steph Curry fan). I'd rather keep him.

The Jackson shimmy
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM

He had a lingering back issue and a slightly fractured, right wrist with a
screw in it.

troyc11a
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I actually think, when playing at their peak, Collison is a harder player to deal with than Steph Curry (and I'm a big Steph Curry fan). I'd rather keep him.

Collison is a natural point while Curry is not. I am in favor of upgrading the pg position just like any other on the team. But I would really hope they would acquire a true pg who is a little bigger, stronger, and a better shooter and defender. I guess it would be hard to not want that at every position huh?

troyc11a
04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
He had a lingering back issue and a slightly fractured, right wrist with a
screw in it.

Gordon sure seems to be hurt a lot.

graphic-er
04-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Monta Ellis is not a PG though, and Warriors already have Curry at point.

LA_Confidential
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Monta would be top 5 at point guard for us and Curry could move to the 2 spot for GSW.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 02:12 AM
Monta would be top 5 at point guard for us and Curry could move to the 2 spot for GSW.

If Monta doesn't play point in GS why would we put him there here? He isn't a natural point at all. There is no way he is top 5 either.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrook
Rajon Rondo

Frostwolf
04-21-2011, 05:31 AM
i don't know about closers, but i think we wouldn't need one if we had al horford next to roy.

just dreaming...

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 06:37 AM
If Monta doesn't play point in GS why would we put him there here? He isn't a natural point at all. There is no way he is top 5 either.

Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrook

This guys are not pure point guards either and Monta has better numbers than few of them on your list.

Constellations
04-21-2011, 06:54 AM
This guys are not pure point guards either and Monta has better numbers than few of them on your list.

Monta isn't a PG either. In this case, Deron, D-Rose, and Russell are 10 times the PG than Monta. And he also shoots 10 times more than them.

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Monta isn't a PG either. In this case, Deron, D-Rose, and Russell are 10 times the PG than Monta. And he also shoots 10 times more than them.

Monta Ellis FGA 20.1
D Rose FGA 19.7
Westbrook FGA 17.6
Deron Williams FGA 14.1

So yeah you are exaggerating that Monta shoots 10 more times per game.

PacerHound
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info. All I know is about everyone around was disappointed in him at the time. Perhaps he was built up too much before his arrival like who was it "Luke Skywalker" I think they called him (nickname). For a while I.U. had a tendency to build up expectations on new recruits way beyond what they ever panned out to be. I am sure on this - while ultimately Gordon proved to be by far the better player no one at I.U. would have traded Steve Alford for Eric Gordon simply based on their collegiate careers (on potential certainly, but not on perfomance while at I.U.).

Guess Alford was like Rick Mount, (Mount being the best pure shooter ever to play), but his game just did not transfer to the pros.

Justin Tyme
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Is it the Pacers need a closer or a scoring SG? A number of the players mentioned are not what I consider closers, but scorers. With that being said what are the perimeters/description of what a "closer" is? It seems like players that are scorers are being pigeonholed as closers.

Another thing is that the majority of players mentioned as "closers" can't play "D".

90'sNBARocked
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM

I feel ya

but no way wew could go with a Collison/Ellis backcourt

with this team I think Monta could be a very good scoring PG

spreedom
04-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Deron Williams isn't a pure point guard? Now I've heard everything...

troyc11a
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Is it the Pacers need a closer or a scoring SG? A number of the players mentioned are not what I consider closers, but scorers. With that being said what are the perimeters/description of what a "closer" is? It seems like players that are scorers are being pigeonholed as closers.

Another thing is that the majority of players mentioned as "closers" can't play "D".

I agree 100%. We need someone who can create their own shot when everyone knows its going to them. IDK how many players like that will be available but we need one. If they cant play "D" then forget about them.

ksuttonjr76
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Personally, I rather stick with Paul George, and let him put in some work during the offseason.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Ok, Deron Williams is one of the best pure PGs in the league... Not sure how you can say he isn't.

Rose and Westbrook are scoring PG's, but they have shown they are capable of running the offense very well. I never said they were pure PGs, just that they are PGs.

GS doesn't even have a PG. Curry really isn't one. Yet he starts at PG over Ellis because he is better at running the offense. Like I said, Ellis isn't a PG.

And Ellis has great numbers on a terrible team. Those guys do it on much better teams (except for Williams in NJ, but he did it on some damn good Jazz teams recently).

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
GS record was 36/46, similar record than the Pacers in the West, so as you can see Monta has a worse team than Danny and was able to put the team on his shoulders and still win as many games as Danny.

Gamble1
04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
GS record was 36/46, similar record than the Pacers in the West, so as you can see Monta has a worse team than Danny and was able to put the team on his shoulders and still win as many games as Danny.
Monta had a good pf/c, a good pg and a ok sf and no JOB. He had a better team than the Pacers this year.

Unless we traded Collison then I wouldn't want Ellis. The only thing I like about Ellis is that he is not overpaid IMO but I think we would have to overpay to get him so there is no point.

I know many of PD memebers don't want to here this but Collison has the best chance to be our closer next year than anybody we pick up in FA or a trade.

ilive4sports
04-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Well let's be fair to Danny, this team wins 42ish games if it weren't for JOB...

I like Ellis, he is a damn good player. But I don't think he fits this team really. He's not a PG and I don't want to force him to be one. And a defensive back court of DC and Ellis is terrible. We would need to get a defensive PG to make it work.

vnzla81
04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Well let's be fair to Danny, this team wins 42ish games if it weren't for JOB...

I like Ellis, he is a damn good player. But I don't think he fits this team really. He's not a PG and I don't want to force him to be one. And a defensive back court of DC and Ellis is terrible. We would need to get a defensive PG to make it work.

Hinrich and Monta :drool:

QuickRelease
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Hinrich and Monta :drool::skeptical Not sure if that's a winning direction.

troyc11a
04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
:skeptical Not sure if that's a winning direction.

Hinrich and Ellis actually seem to go well together. One is a big strong defensive minded pg the other is a smaller type gunner. The are exactly 180 degrees opposite. I like that combo.

troyc11a
04-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Personally, I rather stick with Paul George, and let him put in some work during the offseason.

I have heard it said that players improve more between year 1 and 2 than any other. I would like to see what George can do. He is physically gifted but looks lost and passive most of the time. If he can grow out of that he could be really good.

Jared Sullinger
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Iguodala.

The same Iguodala putting up a meaty 6.3 ppg on 28% shooting this postseason?

vnzla81
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Watching Orlando/Atlanta at this moment and Jamal Crawford looks like a guy that we can use next year, not only he can score but he can also play the point when need it.

pwee31
04-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Crawford can create his own shot, but also gets a little trigger happy at times.

I think the Pacers will have to gamble if they want a real difference maker. They'll have to take a chance on Mayo, or a young talent breaking out. Take a chance on an injury like Oden, or Yao, or West if he still opts out. Michael Redd.

Not saying they should go after those guys, I just think this team needs a little luck during free agency or trades, and no one is really expected to be available.

Of course that could change

Kstat
04-24-2011, 06:18 AM
If he can be had for a reasonable price, yes...I'd want Stuckey in a Pacers uni. Although KStat can expand on it....there was a dispute between the Coach and the Players. Is it possible that he can have the same problem with any Coach in the future? Yes, but with likely Coaching candidates such as Mike Brown and Vogel....I doubt that it would be an issue here.

I'm not saying that what he did was right...I'm just saying that the risk isn't as great as the reward given the caliber of Player involved. As far as I know...there isn't a history of this behavior from Stuckey outside of this issue with Kuester.

Kuester just isn't a people person. He got into a shouting match with one of his own assistants. It is what it is.

For the record, I won't shed one tear if we move stuckey this summer in a sign and trade, but he's too talented not to try and bring back if there's nothing good available. He remains a quality two-way SG with some court vision. Just don;t ever confuse him with a PG.

wintermute
04-24-2011, 06:35 AM
For the record, I won't shed one tear if we move stuckey this summer in a sign and trade, but he's too talented not to try and bring back if there's nothing good available. He remains a quality two-way SG with some court vision. Just don;t ever confuse him with a PG.

Would love to get Stuckey. And agree that it would be foolish for the Pistons to let him walk without getting anything back. Here's hoping anyway ;)

What about Ben Gordon? As far as non-star closers go, he has as good a resume as anyone. Curious how badly he's fallen off with the Pistons.

D-BONE
04-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Gordon...meh. Very good at the one dimension, but very one dimensional.

Stuckey I'd love to have, BUT...

1) At what price?

2) Is PG going to the bench/is Stucky going to be content coming off the bench?

Stuckey would be great for an additional, consistent scoring punch from the two with the ability to shift to the one for some minutes behind a legit PG. Effectively, and ideal first guard off the bench. Don't no if he'd go for a sixth man gig. Either than or we have to displace George from the starting two or consider George or Granger at the 4.

Kstat
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Would love to get Stuckey. And agree that it would be foolish for the Pistons to let him walk without getting anything back. Here's hoping anyway ;)

What about Ben Gordon? As far as non-star closers go, he has as good a resume as anyone. Curious how badly he's fallen off with the Pistons.

He's restricted, so the odds of Joe just letting him walk are very slim.

Ben Gordon just was a bad fit with this team. There was no frontcourt presence at all to help him defensively, and he had to split minutes with Rip and sometimes Stuckey at the 2.

Gordon hasn't fallen off one bit. His minutes have. I still want to keep him, but they need to clear some damn room.