PDA

View Full Version : Mark Montieth worships Satan!!

Kegboy
10-05-2004, 10:41 AM
(For those who don't know who "Satan" is, sorry for the inflamatory headline. :devil:)

I hadn't seen this posted, and it's too good to pass up. In my intro article last year I said that McKey was the most underrated NBA player of the last 10 years, so I definitely agree with him here. I also agree with him on Haskins.

Have fun Peck. ;)

Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A, 9/24 (http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html)

Question: While we have some down time, how about if you comment on who you think -- in the past 20 years -- has been the most underrated Pacer, overrated Pacer, and biggest bust? I nominate Scott Haskin as the biggest bust! (John from Philadelphia, Pa.)

Answer: Hmmmmm. That's a tough one, and will require me to burn some brain cells. Hardly seems fair in the off-season, but I'll give it some thought.

The most underrated Pacer? I'd say Derrick McKey. He received a great deal of criticism from fans because he was injury-prone. The fact he didn't care much about scoring and had a laid-back demeanor also gave people the impression he didn't care, but I don't believe that's true.

His injuries were legitimate, and largely out of his control. One of his legs was a couple of inches longer than the other, something I didn't realize until the end of his career. That contributed to his constant leg problems.

If you watched, you noticed every coach he had here -- Larry Brown, Larry Bird and Isiah Thomas -- played him as much as possible, especially at the end of close games. He was a great defender, the best the Pacers have ever had aside from Ron Artest.

McKey was a more fundamental defender than Artest, but Artest is much more athletic and powerful. McKey also was a good passer and could score in a variety of ways. Donnie Walsh once told me he thought McKey was the best player -- the best all-around player -- on every team McKey played for.

Walsh and some others who were with the franchise when the Pacers lost to Chicago in the conference finals in 1998 believe they could have won the series if McKey had been in better health, because he could have done more to contain Michael Jordan.

If you remember, however, he made small but crucial plays in that series. He made the inbounds pass to Reggie MIller for the famous game-winning 3-pointer at Market Square Arena. It was a simple pass, but perfectly timed and placed. He also got a defensive stop on Jordan to save another win at MSA.

As for most overrated, I'll have to exercise my right to remain silent. Whomever I pick, I no doubt will have professional contact with him in the future and I don't want to lose the cooperation of a potential source. If I were a columnist I'd try to come up with an answer.

Nobody comes to mind as an obvious choice, but the team has certainly had some players who did not play up to the level expected from someone earning their salary. I'd be interested to hear what other fans have to say on this.

I don't think it's quite fair to label Haskin a bust, because he never got a chance to prove himself either way. He played in just 27 games before injuries forced him into retirement. If you apply a strict bottom-line evaluation you can make that judgment, however, because he was the 14th draft selection and averaged just two points.

George McCloud also failed to live up to expectations. McCloud was drafted seventh overall, but averaged 5.5 points over four seasons. He lost both parents in the summer before his rookie season, so that no doubt had an impact on his early career. He went overseas to resurrect himself and went on to have a long, solid career, mostly as a backup.

Any other opinions out there?

sweabs
10-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Biggest Bust...................

Meh...I won't say it...let's see how this year pans out...:laugh:

Suaveness
10-05-2004, 01:22 PM
B
E
N
D
E
.....R??

I think so. Bust all over it.

Unclebuck
10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
I was a huge, huge Mckey fan. IMO he was the glue of the 1994 and 1995 teams. He made everyone better. Without the mckey for Det trade I don't think thoe teams would have been nearly as good.

McKey wa a great one-on-one defender and a great, great team defender. I always said he guarded two guys at once.

I rarely bring this up because so many of you hate him and he is no longer playing.

But he is one of my all time favorite Pacers players.

he was a winner. He was one of those guys that made his team beter just by being on the court.

Eindar
10-05-2004, 03:42 PM
I was a huge, huge Mckey fan. IMO he was the glue of the 1994 and 1995 teams. He made everyone better. Without the mckey for Det trade I don't think thoe teams would have been nearly as good.

McKey wa a great one-on-one defender and a great, great team defender. I always said he guarded two guys at once.

I rarely bring this up because so many of you hate him and he is no longer playing.

he was a winner. He was one of those guys that made his team beter just by being on the court.

So he made his team better for about 15 games per year. This guy made JB look like Cal Ripken. And at some point during all those injuries, he forgot how to shoot. Teams would literally leave him wide open for 15 foot jump shots and he would pass. Not something you want to see in your Small Forward. McKey could have been a fan favorite, and could have been the piece that pushed us over the top to a championship, but his inability to stay healthy, and his unwillingness to score (he could shoot, I saw it early in his career) made trading Detlef a bad move.

MagicRat
10-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Sadly, the biggest bust in franchise history is no longer with the squad......of course I never, ever would have even noticed if Kegboy hadn't constantly posted her picture.......

Kegboy
10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Sadly, the biggest bust in franchise history is no longer with the squad......of course I never, ever would have even noticed if Kegboy hadn't constantly posted her picture.......

Oh, god, I hope I still have it, with my computer crashing and all.

Let me see...

http://tomswe.home.insightbb.com/jessica.jpg

Whew. I was scared there for a moment.

obnoxiousmodesty
10-05-2004, 04:17 PM
There's no way I can call Bender the biggest bust in Pacer's history. Apparently, some of you only consider 1998-current to be the entire history of the Pacers.

Indeed. Scott Haskin, anyone?

changed mind

Kstat
10-05-2004, 04:27 PM
There's no way I can call Bender the biggest bust in Pacer's history. Apparently, some of you only consider 1998-current to be the entire history of the Pacers.

Indeed. It's either Haskin ('93) or Stipanovich ('83) in my opinion. I lean toward Haskin, of course, since I don't even remember Stipanovich.

Haskin wasn't a high enough pick (14) to put him in a class with Bender or Stipo.

Right now, you'd like to say Stipanovich, but then again, he was able to hold a 13-point career average.

My pick: (and how can you NOT miss this guy) RICK ROBEY. God, if ever there was a player who benefitted because he went to a great school, it was Rick Robey.

He wasn't a Pacer long, but they take responsibility for drafting him with the #3 pick.

They could have drafted Larry freaking Bird.

No. Talent. Whatsoever.

And the man got traded for DENNIS JOHNSON?:laugh:

TheSauceMaster
10-05-2004, 04:40 PM
I loved Derrick McKey ,defintely was a underrated player. I will wait til after this year is over before I declare Bender a waste , I already feel that way but I let him fall on his own sword this year if he so chooses.

Unclebuck
10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Stipo was no where near a bust. In fact I think he was very underrated. He was very solid, he helped a team win by doing all the little things and his jump shot was very good.

Peck, I'll be interested in your thoughts on Stipo. My guess is you were a big fan of his

sixthman
10-05-2004, 06:43 PM

I always felt McKey was our key. Derrick made the Pacers better.

McKeyFan
10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I was a huge, huge Mckey fan.

Ditto. ;)