PDA

View Full Version : Paul George's defense tonight deserves some undivided attention

BringJackBack
04-19-2011, 12:42 AM
I really think that this is one of the best defensive performances in Pacers history. Not even joking. Consider this Paul's first milestone as a Pacer.

8pts9secs Jared Wade
Vogel saying Paul George set a team record with 18 deflections tonight.
27 seconds ago

Derrick Rose stat line:11-25 from the field, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 turnovers

Paul George had 3 steals, 4 blocks, and 18 deflections.

Amazing defense. That is something to be excited about.

Pacerfan
04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Paul George can flat out play. He is going to be GOOD. He just needs to work on his offensive game this summer. He can really be something special.

TMJ31
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
D Rose only had 6 turnovers?

I swear I was convinced he had at least 10 or 12.

During stretches of the 3rd it was THAT ugly for him.

KingGeorge
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Paul George is the King. Enough said...

PR07
04-19-2011, 12:47 AM
His combination of length and quickness makes him a defensive nightmare. I don't really know who I'd compare him to in that regard, a young Scottie Pippen or Shawn Marion?

15th parallel
04-19-2011, 12:48 AM
He could really be our best defensive player since Artest. If he can work further on both his offense and defense, then we may have found our own version of Kobe and Jordan.

Unclebuck
04-19-2011, 12:49 AM
From the first time I saw him play at the start of the season, I was amazed at his defensive instincts, the best I've seen for a Pacers player since Derrick McKey. Better instincts than Artest

Hicks
04-19-2011, 12:51 AM
He was largely BRILLIANT on D tonight. Insanely impressive for a rookie in the playoffs. God, if he tightens up his decision making and his offense blossoms in the coming years, this is our superstar.

cdash
You would never believe this guy is a rookie by watching him play these first two games of this series. This is exactly why the playoffs beat the lottery. This experience these young guys are getting is invaluable.

Sookie
Wait until this kid fine tunes his offensive and defensive skills.

I really truly believe we've got a future superstar in Paul.

King Tuts Tomb
Not to throw dirt on O'Brien's grave but wasn't bad defense his reason for keeping George out of the rotation?

MyFavMartin
04-19-2011, 12:56 AM
He's good now for a rookie... and we all can project to what he could become... Right now, all I'm seeing is a guy as good as our best player, Granger, right now... Danny's a scorer and shooter, PG is just a shooter and very good defensive player... He can sort of create his shot but turns it over a lot... handles and midrange jumper...

Dr. Hibbert
04-19-2011, 12:59 AM
You're not out of line. Greatest individual defensive performance by a Pacer I have ever seen.

ilive4sports
I'm not worried about his offense at all. He's a rookie, I've seen that his offensive game is there. His shot just needs to fall. Theres nothing wrong with his form, its quite good actually. He's very smooth on offense too.

His defense is showing to be nothing short of great. This guy is going to be special for us. And he has the attitude to keep working. Tasting the playoffs in his first year will only make him better. Like Bird said in his first playoff trip, he knew he had a lot of work to do. I see Paul doing the same thing this off season.

Eleazar
That might be the best individual defensive performance by any player all year.

I'm going to call it now, George will be the best perimeter defender in the league in 2 years.

LadiesfromSection220
04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
I thought he was fantastic tonight! He's gotten better with his ball handling, not turning over so much. I don't remember any turnovers tonight.

ECKrueger
04-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Great game by PG, gotta love this team.

Trader Joe
04-19-2011, 01:11 AM
George was a ridiculous tonight on defense. Not much else to say.

imawhat
04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
I can't believe Rose's statline was as good as it was. Seriously, it's a crime that it wasn't worse because George played great defense on him.

I think Paul's play set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a phenomenal night for our young guy.

Madsen's dancing skillz
04-19-2011, 01:17 AM
That might be the best individual defensive performance by any player all year.

I'm going to call it now, George will be the best perimeter defender in the league in 2 years.

He is certainly well on his way. Even if he becomes only average offensively, his potential on defense is game changing. He could be a longer, leaner, sane version of Ron Artest. And that's one of the worst case scenarios.

Hicks
04-19-2011, 01:31 AM
You would never believe this guy is a rookie by watching him play these first two games of this series. This is exactly why the playoffs beat the lottery. This experience these young guys are getting is invaluable.

Defensively, I totally agree.

Offensively... well... let's just say I look forward to year 3.

PacersRule
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Not to throw dirt on O'Brien's grave but wasn't bad defense his reason for keeping George out of the rotation?

OB can take that excuse and shove it up his ***

Gold
04-19-2011, 01:35 AM
I can't believe Rose's statline was as good as it was. Seriously, it's a crime that it wasn't worse because George played great defense on him.

I think Paul's play set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a phenomenal night for our young guy.

In both of these games I thought "man! we're doing great on rose! Paul George is making life hard!" and then I look at the stat line and see rose has a million points. lol.

righteouscool
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
In both of these games I thought "man! we're doing great on rose! Paul George is making life hard!" and then I look at the stat line and see rose has a million points. lol.

Rose made a lot in the fourth from the switches where Granger was guarding him. At the end of the 3rd Rose was shooting 38% percent with 6 turnovers.

You could tell Rose wanted nothing to do with George on him. Pretty impressive when you can use a 6'8 small forward to guard one of the most unguardable points in the league.

beast23
04-19-2011, 01:41 AM

True... defensively he played an excellent game. And if the announced stats of Rose having 6 errors before the end of the 3rd were accurate, then he finished with 7 or 8 turnovers not 6.... since he made a couple of errors in the 4th as well.

Just judging him offensively from this one game, I'd say George pushed too much. He needed to give it back to the PG a couple of times, instead of forcing the issue 1-on-1 and committing errors.

BUT.... I also give him brownie points for having the confidence to attempt the 1-on-1 moves in the first place.

In the summer, I hope he improves his handles, works on his mid-range game and makes even more improvement to his perimeter shot. If he is able to do all of these things, I think we have a beast on our hands next year.

Cactus Jax
04-19-2011, 01:42 AM
PG 24 played some insane D on Rose no matter what the stat line says, and is the best thing Vogel has done in this series. The Korver 3 was a mistake from Vogel/the players, as they trapped way too late in the possesion when Rose was already in position to make a pass down to either Boozer/Noah or what happened which was an easy 3 for Korver.

As good as his defense was, he needs to not be so shy about his offensive abilities. Not sure if JOB scarred him for the first part of the season or what, but he's scared to score at the moment which is bad for the Pacers. A full summer should change that mind-set.

imawhat
04-19-2011, 01:44 AM

I hope he's still playing defense in year 3, because nothing would be more disappointing than seeing all of that defensive talent go to waste. That's my biggest fear (next to freak injury).

*edit*-he has to develop some strength and work on his dribbling, but I still feel like he could bust out during this series and go for 25. I'm hoping he does, because I want to see if he has some 'greatness' in him.

Brad8888
04-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Without the defensive effort of Paul George this second game, the Bulls win by 20+ and aren't being pushed after the first quarter.

Our young guys are developing before our eyes in a very competitive series where the Bulls, as a newly elite team are playing both well and hard. Also, the officials, while being inconsistent, are allowing physical play that at times resembles my favorite time when the NBA allowed far more contact than they typically do today, even in the playoffs.

The Bulls are for real, though. They have a chance to go deep into the playoffs this year, let alone in future years, in my opinion. The fact that the Pacers have answers for them in many cases despite being approximately a year and a half shy of where they should be developmentally bodes quite well for the Pacers going forward.

Goooooooo Pacers!!!!!!!!

mattie
04-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Rose is a beast, and obviously still got the job done, but Paul made life hell for him. What a game. multiple turnovers, multiple passes from Rose that he deflected, the blocked shots, just a great game.

The Bulls struggled big time to score the ball period. Part of me wonders if Paul single handedly exposed the Bulls? They just couldn't score the ball. The Pacers struggled scoring too, but we know we they struggled. Roy couldn't stay in the game, we have no true big time scorer, and Collison was injured.

Not too mention, Rose hit some big shots that he normally just doesn't make. He's working on his jumper but it is not there yet, but he sure hit it tonight.

Also, hope Vogel goes over defending that PnR. Granger is a tough defender for sure, but there is no way he can handle Rose. We need to make sure he never makes that switch again for the rest of the series.

If we keep Paul on Rose the rest of the series, which will obviously happen, I don't see Rose continuing to throw up 30. Because he won't hit the J like he did tonight.

croz24
04-19-2011, 03:52 AM
yea the bulls were doing everything in their power to get the rookie off rose. don't think i've ever seen a team make such an effort to get a ROOKIE off their league mvp. truly remarkable.

IndyProdigy
04-19-2011, 05:17 AM
PLEASE let me know when someone gets that picture of King George on that beautiful block on D-Rose!

Foul on Smits
04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
The saddest part of the loss is that I think Paul George is getting all kind of pub this morning if they would have won.

Sollozzo
04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
If you didn't watch the game then you would think George had a ho-hum game judging by the box score. But he was definitely one of the most important players out there for us tonight. Once he gets a consistent offensive game he is going to be flat-out scary.

daschysta
04-19-2011, 07:51 AM
His game was pretty sweet even by the box score. Not often many SF's/SG's get 4 blocks and 3 steals.

Major Cold
04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
via twitter

King24George
Shii rookie mistakes cost us the game! Best believe I am in the gym tonight! ****!
5 hours ago [3 am]

King24George
Straight out of the gym.. Good night!
2 hours ago [5 am]

There you go young fellow. This is what the playoffs does to young players. It makes them realize they need to practice and train more to compete.

SAY NO TO TANKING!!!!

Unclebuck
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
I think although George is struggling offensively, that is temporary. He's going to be a beast offensively too.

stlouis steve
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't post here much, because I don't get to see too many games.

But whoever mentioned Scottie Pippen earlier in the thread is spot on, in my opinion. I feel like I pretty much never see defenders who remind me of Scottie, whom I consider to be my favorite perimeter defender ever. But Paul George last night was making me think of him. I feel like I've probably seen a few better Pacer's defensive performances from Artest (no shame in that!), but really they're totally different animals, and I don't think even Artest on a great day would be able to match up with Rose as effectively as George did.

The best part about George defending Rose is that there's no way they can avoid him, so we're just treated to some fantastic offense versus fantastic defense. What a pleasure to watch....

BPump33
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I couldn't be more proud of Paul George if I tried. Not only his play, but his drive/work ethic are just incredible.

Kid Minneapolis
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I posted this a week ago:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1211327#post1211327

And I've been ecstatic to see that Vogel took my advice. ;) PG has been ridiculous on D, and I knew he had the capability to disrupt Rose. PG was all over the place last night.

Anthem
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I've been solidly on the "Paul George will eventually need to move to the SF spot" bandwagon for a while now.

But if he can do that against Rose, what twos won't he be able to guard?

MyFavMartin
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Bogans' gets up so tight on PG, I don't understand why he doesn't throw a pump fake and draw the foul from the height difference or slide by him to the basket with a dribble drive.

Speed
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Two things:

1.) I wonder how many, total turnovers/bad shots (air balls or barely touching the rim) he caused last night in addition to his "stats" (4 blocks, 3 steals).

2.) His defense in this series, starts to set the table moving forward that he's the highest level defender and should be given the "defender" benefit of the doubt from refs.

#2 to me, is huge for the future of PG and the Pacers.

xIndyFan
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
watching paul play just makes me giddy. defensively he is there. and still looks like a 1st year player in his lurching on defense. couple of years to learn the league and he will be derrick mckey on defense. a place where scorer's go to die.

offensively the scotty pippen analogy is bogus. pippen was horrible on offense as a young player. paul looks like every rookie that is still adjusting to the physical athletic players that are the NBA. next year the drives that come up short will be layups. the missed bunnies will be dunks. plus paul is a shooter getting used to the bigger NBA court and the longer 3 pt line. next year the 3 pointers will be falling. guys will have to guard him closer on the perimeter and he will be able to drive to the rim and finish.

this guy will be the next great NBA player. and he is a pacer. :dance:

PR07
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
He has to work on his ball handling and get stronger among other things if he wants to be a great player for sure.

However, in terms of tools, what doesn't this guy have? He's already a force defensively, and he has a pretty good foundation offensively to build off.

pizza guy
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
With all the hype for Paul George after we drafted him, saw him in camp and summer league, and got glimpses during the season, I have been hoping that the playoffs would really show us what we've got in PG24. And they are.

This guy is a rookie. From Fresno St. On a below .500 team. But he's showing us on the highest stage of his life, that he can compete with the highest competition. Defending DRose is not easy...shoot, it's barely even possible. But George has been terrific.

This first home game, maybe he feels a little more comfortable and gets his shot going to. Imagine if George keeps up this defense on Rose, forces 5, 6, or 7 turnovers, and maybe even keeps Rose under 30 -- and then George goes for 25 himself. Talk about a coming out party.

I can't wait to see what George does in the summer, working out and practicing his game, adjusting to the NBA even more. I've been skeptical to anoint him the ticket to contention for the Pacers, but I'm really beginning to buy in.

NuffSaid
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Paul George did an outstanding job defending Derrick Rose last night. Unfortunately, he wasn't much help offensively.

I'll take the trade-off; I just wish he could be equally affective on both sides of the ball. :(

CableKC
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
True... defensively he played an excellent game. And if the announced stats of Rose having 6 errors before the end of the 3rd were accurate, then he finished with 7 or 8 turnovers not 6.... since he made a couple of errors in the 4th as well.

Just judging him offensively from this one game, I'd say George pushed too much. He needed to give it back to the PG a couple of times, instead of forcing the issue 1-on-1 and committing errors.

BUT.... I also give him brownie points for having the confidence to attempt the 1-on-1 moves in the first place.

In the summer, I hope he improves his handles, works on his mid-range game and makes even more improvement to his perimeter shot. If he is able to do all of these things, I think we have a beast on our hands next year.
I'd give him brownie points for trying...then take away 2 brownie points for doing it at the absolute wrong time.

We all complain about Granger going all Granger at the end of games....but PG should get the same type of response from PD when he does it as well. I could understand him trying to score at the end of the game if he was "simply on" and the defender couldn't guard him...but the problem was that he wasn't. I commend him for trying...but doing it at the last couple of minutes of a close game was the wrong time to do it...cuz the consequence ( as we saw ) was that he turned the ball over at the absolute wrong time.

Trader Joe
04-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Paul set the tone from an energy stand point along with Hans in the first quarter. They were both all over the place on defense. Need to maintain that effort.

redfoster
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
He is our guy. Incredible performance. He will win game 3 for us.

PacersRule
04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't know if it's been posted before, but good to see Pacers get some recognition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/04/19/bulls.pacers.game2/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

By Mark Haubner

You may have seen this movie before: The Chicago Bulls trailed with 5:20 left, only to rally behind Derrick Rose (who scored 14 fourth-quarter points) to notch a 96-90 Game 2 victory and take a 2-0 series lead over the gutsy Indiana Pacers on Monday. Rose, led the way with 36 points, eight rebounds and six assists, as the 62-win Bulls once again struggled to overcome the 37-win Pacers.

The Pacers' blog Eight Points, Nine Seconds created an outstanding series preview using detailed play-by-play breakdowns from the stat-tracking service Synergy Sports. It showed that isolation plays by the Bulls' offense were a much better matchup against the Pacers' defense than pick-and-rolls were, and that's how things played out in Game 2. The Pacers very effective in trapping pick-and-rolls initiated by Rose, whereas they once again had much more difficulty stopping him when he simply went one-on-one. On a couple of key possessions late, Danny Granger switched the screen instead of trapping, which essentially left him alone against Rose, who was able to blow right by him.

Despite Rose's gaudy numbers and strong finish, he was also forced into six turnovers and shot 11-of-25 from the floor. Paul George deserves a ton of credit for quality defensive work against Rose throughout the game. The 6-foot-8 rookie used his length to contain Rose about as well as one could ask, and also had four blocks and three steals in an active performance. Given how good George looked as a rookie shooting guard playing against a possible MVP point guard, he has to be considered potential All-Defensive team material in the future.

A key turning point in Game 2 occurred with 2:31 left in the second quarter, when Pacers point guard Darren Collison was knocked out of the game with a sprained ankle. Indiana led 45-36 at the time, and Chicago went on a 19-5 run over the next seven minutes spanning the second and the third quarters. Reserve point guard A.J. Price and the Pacers subsequently had all kinds of problems protecting the ball. Indiana had turnovers on seven of its first 13 possessions after Collison's departure, after committing surprisingly few turnovers for the first five-and-a-half quarters of the series. Whereas Collison had just one turnover in 15 minutes, Price coughed the ball up three times in the final 2:03 of the first half alone, and registered five turnovers in 24 minutes. Price finished a minus-17 despite scoring 13 points.

Although Price did indeed hit some big shots, we were surprised not to see more of Mike Dunleavy as Indiana's facilitator on offense. Dunleavy delivered eight points and four assists with no turnovers for a plus-9 in just 13 minutes. The matchup seemed to be especially in his favor with George covering Rose. Dunleavy would have been able to guard the likes of Keith Bogans or Kyle Korver, and thus not be exposed even while playing point guard on offense.

How was Chicago able to win despite shooting just 39 percent and committing 21 turnovers? Beyond the recipe of defense plus Rose, the Bulls -- who were the best rebounding team in the league this season -- had an overwhelming edge on the glass for the second straight game: 57-33 overall, including 20-9 on the offensive boards. Carlos Boozer (16) and Joakim Noah (10) led the way.

O'Braindead
04-19-2011, 02:30 PM
So, let's elaborate on the topic; What is Paul George's defensive ceiling?

BPump33
04-19-2011, 02:32 PM

To quote Paul's Twitter account: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

Seriously, this kid is extremely talented. 18 deflections? I mean has anyone ever seen that?

O'Braindead
04-19-2011, 02:33 PM
18 deflections is a Pacers record. More deflections than both Ron Artest and Derrick McKey. He's already in good company as a rookie.

BillS
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
18 deflections is a Pacers record. More deflections than both Ron Artest and Derrick McKey. He's already in good company as a rookie.

Were they keeping consistent count of deflections under Brown or Carlisle? I seem to recall that one of the novelties of The Coach We Do Not Name was his emphasis on counting deflections.

Not denying the significance of the stat for now, just not certain how well the record reflects the complete defensive history of the team.

Trader Joe
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
We always kept deflections as a stat in high school and we would play pressing defense. 18 is a pretty ridiculous number at any level.

Hicks
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM

1st team all NBA defense.

Unclebuck
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Were they keeping consistent count of deflections under Brown or Carlisle? I seem to recall that one of the novelties of The Coach We Do Not Name was his emphasis on counting deflections.

Not denying the significance of the stat for now, just not certain how well the record reflects the complete defensive history of the team.

I don't remember the exact year they started keeping them. But I know it was a big thing when Bird was our coach, Harter always made a big deal out of it.

My sense is Larry Brown's staff also kept that stat, but I don't know that.

I have a vague memery that Pt Riley when he was with the Knicks (harter was there at the time) started discussing it. But who know The bad boys (harter was there) might have kept it too.

BPump33
04-19-2011, 02:54 PM

I tweeted this last night after the game. I truly believe it. Watching the game last night all I could think (besides, stupid refs) was that Paul is a rookie and should only improve from here. It's scary, in a good way.

Eleazar
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM

I'll take that and raise you Defensive Player of the Year.

Kid Minneapolis
04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
The DPoY almost always goes to the dominant PF/C of the time... Even as good of a defender as Artest is, he's only won it once. They just don't like anyone that spends most of their time outside the paint.

Kid Minneapolis
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I want to point out that this forum didn't have a much different opinion of Granger back in his rookie year. He was widely considered to be a great defensive wing, and needed work on his offensive game. Look where we are now...

Trader Joe
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Difference being, Danny was then tossed into a situation where he suddenly had to excel offensively, otherwise we would have won like 10 games.

docpaul
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
To quote Paul's Twitter account: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

Seriously, this kid is extremely talented. 18 deflections? I mean has anyone ever seen that?

What was particularly impressive to me was his demeanor after the game:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rewind_110418.html

Go to the 5:30 mark and watch his facial expressions. The guy was about ready to tear up, as he berated himself for "losing the game" for the team.

Despite one of the best performances of his career.

I think folks have it right here, he's going to be a monster. Compare his mentality to Stephenson's? Gosh, what a stark, stark contrast.

Can't wait to watch it all unfold.

righteouscool
04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I want to point out that this forum didn't have a much different opinion of Granger back in his rookie year. He was widely considered to be a great defensive wing, and needed work on his offensive game. Look where we are now...

I remember Granger playing the nets in the playoff and not doing nearly as good of a job defensively. That's not a knock against Granger, but a compliment to George.

Eleazar
04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

I remember how people talked about him, and no one ever even considered that he would even be second team all-defense. People thought he would be a really good defender, and he is when he gives it his all, but no one was as impressed with his defense as people are with George.

IndyPacer
04-19-2011, 09:59 PM
What was particularly impressive to me was his demeanor after the game:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rewind_110418.html

Go to the 5:30 mark and watch his facial expressions. The guy was about ready to tear up, as he berated himself for "losing the game" for the team.

Despite one of the best performances of his career.

I think folks have it right here, he's going to be a monster. Compare his mentality to Stephenson's? Gosh, what a stark, stark contrast.

Can't wait to watch it all unfold.

I hope the coaches are keeping a close eye on him to make sure these ultra high standards he's imposing on himself are having a consistently positive effect. It's easy to drift into self-destructive territory with that type of drive. Make sure he can see the positive but never be completely satisfied and want to improve even more. Harness it properly.

As for Born Ready, I'm skeptical that he'll even have a place on the team. I'm not sure what to do with him. His burning drive seems to be a compulsion to do idiotic things. :mad:

IndyPacer
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
The DPoY almost always goes to the dominant PF/C of the time... Even as good of a defender as Artest is, he's only won it once. They just don't like anyone that spends most of their time outside the paint.

Indeed. The last guard to win it was Gary Payton in 95-96. Prior to that it was Michael Jordan in 87-88. Each took it one time only.

By comparison, Ben Wallace won it 4 times.

IndyPacer
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I've been solidly on the "Paul George will eventually need to move to the SF spot" bandwagon for a while now.

But if he can do that against Rose, what twos won't he be able to guard?

I'm in the camp that feels he should be able to play 2 and 3 without many problems. I think many have been stuck in the mindset of "George is 6'9", so he'll be too slow to be a guard" because that's the case for most players his height. But as I've been saying for awhile, his speed and athleticism are not typical for a 6'9" player.

ReginaldWayne
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
At one point in the 3rd quarter, he forced a turnover on 3 or for straight possessions.

Ransom
04-20-2011, 12:40 AM
NBA Playbook breaking down some of the good (and bad) of George's defense:

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/04/19/the-pacers-defense-on-derrick-rose/