PDA

View Full Version : Rick Adelman out as Houston Rockets head coach

The Future
04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Rick Adelman will not return as Rockets coach. Details to follow. 2 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/richardjustice

Damn!!!

Adelman is a great offensive coach and his schemes would be awesome for this team.

I know we're still in the playoffs, but if we need a head coach this offseason, we need to go after Rick Adelman.

PLEASE NO MIKE BROWN!

neosmndrew
04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Adelman has never been known to play young players, though with most of our young guys firmly in the rotation. I'd like it just because this guy knows how to coach in pressure situations and to succeed in the regular season, and, to an extent, in the playoffs.

PacerDude
04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice coach, but his schemes and approach are old and getting used up. We've got a good one right now.

At the very least, can we wait and see how he works with the team in the playoffs before dragging an old, recycled guy into the conversation ??

CableKC
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
The question is whether the Princeton Offense would work with our likely core of Players.

Could someone explain to me how the Princeton Offense works?

How would a Player like Hibbert and a PG like Collison fit in?

Young
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
The question is whether the Princeton Offense would work with our likely core of Players.

Could someone explain to me how the Princeton Offense works?

How would a Player like Hibbert and a PG like Collison fit in?

I don't know that it would be good for Collison but Roy played in the Princeton at Georgetown.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't know that it would be good for Collison but Roy played in the Princeton at Georgetown.

That is the offense Byron Scott runs and Darren aved 19 and 9 under Byron Scott(as starter).

Shade
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Adelman is who I wanted when he was available a couple years ago, and I'd still love to have him here.

Young
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
That is the offense Byron Scott runs and Darren aved 19 and 9 under Byron Scott.

That's true I forgot that Scott runs that offense too.

ballism
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Rick Adelman will not be given another contract and is out as coach of the Houston Rockets, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com.

KRIV-TV first reported the firing.

The source said that Adelman, whose contract is up in June, expressed a desire to remain with the team and still plans to extend his coaching career. However, in recent months Adelman's relationship with general manager Daryl Morey had become strained. The two had several meetings since the end of the season last week.

Despite injuries to key players, including Yao Ming, Adelman could not survive missing the playoffs in each of the last two seasons.

Houston finished 43-39 and missed out on the final playoff spot by three games this season. Adelman was with the Rockets for four years, making the playoffs twice, and compiling a 193-135 record.

Earlier this year, Adelman, who has 945 career coaching victories, moved into eighth place on the all-time wins list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6384752

The reason is strained relationship?.. I hope it's not the only one.
He did a good job there, I thought.
Who better could they get? Unless JVG wants to go back to Houston, which I doubt, this looks like a bad move for the Rockets.

Marlin
04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
That is the offense Byron Scott runs and Darren aved 19 and 9 under Byron Scott(as starter).

That's true, but it was a little bit tweaked to make it more PG dependant than what a princeton offense is supposed to be.

xIndyFan
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Adelman is who I wanted when he was available a couple years ago, and I'd still love to have him here.

yeah, me too. this guy is a really good coach. hope the pacers take a look at him.

i remember players saying good things about him both while he was as houston and sacramento(?).

Doddage
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I figured this would happen seeing as though Houston's on the brink of rebuilding.

As far as Adelman, he's always been one of my favorite coaches, but even with that, I'm not so sure it would be a great idea to bring him in here. I think our team needs someone like Vogel who's up-and-coming and energetic to lead our group of players.

LetsTalkPacers
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Adelman has never been known to play young players, though with most of our young guys firmly in the rotation. I'd like it just because this guy knows how to coach in pressure situations and to succeed in the regular season, and, to an extent, in the playoffs.
Well considering after this season all we will have is young guys. we dont have worry about the young gy not being in the rotaion

Heisenberg
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Right kinda guy, wrong time. Think our roster'd fit his style decently enough but he wouldn't want to play any of the young kids. It's be O'Brien with a prettier offense. Besides, the guy's 64, people keep saying he wants to coach a contender, gotta assume he'd get better offers than us and I'd be OK with that.

Frankly, I'm warming up to keeping Vogel. If we could somehow talk a guy as accomplished (whomever you lay those accomplishments at the feet of) as Mike Brown to be an assistant then sign me the hell up.

cdash
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Right kinda guy, wrong time. Think our roster'd fit his style decently enough but he wouldn't want to play any of the young kids. It's be O'Brien with a prettier offense. Besides, the guy's 64, people keep saying he wants to coach a contender, gotta assume he'd get better offers than us and I'd be OK with that.

Frankly, I'm warming up to keeping Vogel. If we could somehow talk a guy as accomplished (whomever you lay those accomplishments at the feet of) as Mike Brown to be an assistant then sign me the hell up.

Absolutely won't happen.

Heisenberg
04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Absolutely won't happen.
Hey probably not, but crazier things have happened.

Just don't ask for an example.

DocHolliday
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey probably not, but crazier things have happened.

Just don't ask for an example.

As for an assistant, I'd rather pluck a guy who has hit the glass ceiling with a contender--someone who may not be THE assistant with the Spurs, for instance, but the coaching hierarchy ahead of him is set in stone so he's not getting promoted by sticking around, BUT he has been there and learned a lot.

QuickRelease
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I like Adelman. But I think the players love Vogel, and would run through a brick wall for them.

ballism
04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, Danny Ferry did take a demotion after Cleveland, and Celtics did manage to get Lawrence Frank as an assistant. But Mike Brown as assistant to Vogel? For a .500 team?
I'm not sure weirder thing has ever happened as far as coaches... :)

Heisenberg
04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I just really like Brown and would love to add him to the staff, just not as the head guy.

Hicks
04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I generally think Rick Adelman is a really good coach, and if we ended up hiring him or Mike Brown, I'd have to feel they were a solid hire, but to be honest with you, unless we just really, really look bad the rest of this series.... I'm fine with removing the 'interim' label for Frank Vogel. I've liked him quite a bit so far. I'd like him even better with a stronger group of assistant coaches.

Psyren
04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Someone answer this for me, since I really haven't followed Rick Adelman since he's coached 2 teams that I pay absolutely no attention to.

Is he a good defensive coach? Because that's what I'm worried about.

I'm not worried about offense to be honest. If he's just a good offensive coach, but can't coach D to save his life, what good does that do?

itzryan07
04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
pass, seems like he has same attitude as JOB. I want JVG, Mike Fratello, Marc Jackson

idioteque
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm not incredibly wild about Adelman or Mike Brown. If the Pacers keep playing like they're playing in the playoffs, win or lose, I want Frank.

Hoop
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd rather keep Vogel as to hire Adelman. I'm OK with Mike Brown, I wish Vogel could stay as a assistant if M. Brown is brought in.

CableKC
04-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks, I totally forgot about that....but the question is when it comes to Hibbert....does it make sense to have Hibbert utilized in a Princeton Offense where it fits his skillset?

or

Given what we know about Hibbert...does his skillset better fit some other type of offense?

Same goes for DC?

I'm not as concerned about Players like Granger and PG....even Hansbrough...only because their skills seem to better translate to any type of system. It just seems that DC and Hibbert are the Players that we need to find a better fit to.

PR07
04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I feel like Adelman would be a good fit offensively for our group of players. Just dating back from what he used to do with the Kings' when he had premier passing bigs in Divac and Webber, I feel like we have two of the better high post passing bigs in Hibbert and McRoberts.

TMJ31
04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I like Adelman. I would not be upset if we brought him in.

However, I would rather keep Vogel. He is a freshly minted coach, hasn't been 'round the block' of H.C. jobs. I love his enthusiasm and demeanor.

I think it's oddly appropriate that our young, high potential team be coached by a young, high potential coach.

Just my opinion though.

BringJackBack
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I like Adelman. But I think the players love Vogel, and would run through a brick wall for them.

This.

I would love Adelman here. He'd get Roy and DC to have better numbers and he'd preach defense and offensive execution. Problem is, I don't think the players would like him as much because they, especially Roy, ADORE Vogel. Don't want to mess that up.

Eddie Gill
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd rather keep Vogel than hire Adelman...Like TMJ31 mentioned, there's just something fitting and somewhat poetic about a young, energetic up-and-coming coach leading a young, energetic up-and-coming team.

Besides, wouldn't one assume the Lakers would be interested?

Scot Pollard
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
The issue I have with him is that he seems like he has an attitude.

We don't need that especially the players.

I also don't see why no one is keeping Mike Woodson in mind.

Woodson and Vogel are my 2 favorites.

OakMoses
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
If we're looking at the coaching options that exist right now, I think Sloan and Adelman are light years ahead of anyone else we'd be able to get.

I don't get the "Adelman doesn't like youngsters" rap. You have to consider that the last 2 teams he's coached have been perennial playoff teams and contenders. Young guys typically don't get a lot of minutes on truly good teams.

That being said, he played Landry and Brooks both over 10 mpg as rookies. Neither one was a high draft pick. Brooks played almost 2000 minutes as a 2nd year player. Landry played nearly 1500. That same year he played Von Wafer, a guy who'd played just over 200 NBA minutes in his 3 year career, 1200+ minutes. Last year Budinger got nearly 1500 minutes as a rookie. Budinger played even more as a 2nd year player. This year he played Jordan Hill, Ish Smith, and Patrick Patterson all more than 10 mpg.

So, he's played young players a lot over the past few years and won at a very high rate all while paying close to a hundred million dollars to superstars who could barely get on the court.

Also, Houston's been in the middle of the pack in defensive efficiency the last two years. In Adleman's first year (the year Yao actually played) they were 7th overall.

It's probably also worth pointing out that we finished the regular season ranked 12th in defensive efficiency and 22nd in offensive efficiency.

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Wasnt Scott fired long before Collison got playng time.

Also Scott did not run the Princeton offense that much as Hornets coach because of Paul

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Someone answer this for me, since I really haven't followed Rick Adelman since he's coached 2 teams that I pay absolutely no attention to.

Is he a good defensive coach? Because that's what I'm worried about.

I'm not worried about offense to be honest. If he's just a good offensive coach, but can't coach D to save his life, what good does that do?

I don't think he's a a good defensive coach. He's OK, Mike brown is a much better defensive coach

Sandman21
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM

I don't think its just the players who would run through a brick wall for him.... Some of his post-game press conferences are THAT awesome.

I mean cmon, the Pacers made a radio spot out of just quotes of Vogels pressers to sell tickets not too long ago!

He's brought the team back into the playoff hunt, surviving a near collapse/implosion in early March, and they are currently giving the Bulls much more than anyone would have expected. As far as I'm concerned, he's the frontrunner for the job.