PDA

View Full Version : IndyStar> Artest jokes about retiring too.

Will Galen
10-05-2004, 04:01 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/183917-4029-179.html

Artest brings along his sense of humor
Young star jokes about retiring, too, if the Pacers are able to win their 1st NBA title.

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
October 5, 2004

Reggie Miller wasn't the only man talking retirement Monday afternoon at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Indiana Pacers All-Star forward Ron Artest talked of leaving the game as well, though he did it with a few smiles.

Just 24 and still in the midst of his ascent to stardom, Artest said his quest is similar to that of his 39-year-old teammate.

"I'm trying to get a ring as soon as possible and I'm out of here," Artest said in between smiles.

Artest has become a media darling in the wake of another tumultuous offseason in which his name was tossed about in a number of trade scenarios. But he claimed Monday that he wasn't worried about being dealt.

"I knew I was going to be here," he said.

In the meantime, Artest has been reaping the benefits of his newfound celebrity, which includes starring roles in several commercials and a sneaker and apparel deal with L.A. Gear.

"It's fun, you know," Artest said. "I'm still working on my game, and that's the most fun, working on your game and getting better.

"But I'll take all the commercials that come my way because who knows how long I'm going to be playing in the NBA?"

Artest jokingly mentioned that he'd play out the remaining years, four, on his current contract and then move on to other things.

So what would he do if he got his ring this year?

"I might retire," he said.

Summer work

Scot Pollard lost 10 pounds, Jonathan Bender gained that and more, and Jermaine O'Neal showed off a buffed-up physique that should make it clear to anyone where he spent most of his summer.

Media day around the NBA often takes on the feel of the first day of school, when everyone is showing off the prized results of their respective summers.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said every player on the roster spent the summer preparing for the rigors of the next nine months.

And it's clear that increased summer work is no longer a bonus for a team but a requirement for those that harbor dreams of competing for championships.

"I think Pollard looks great, Jermaine's gotten stronger, too, (Austin) Croshere had a great summer and Jamaal Tinsley's around 185 (pounds)," Carlisle said. "These guys haven't taken the summer off. They've worked, been productive, all of those things are important coming into camp."

Medical clearance

Fred Jones is still feeling the effects of July shoulder surgery, but he won't let that keep him from contact during training camp.

"I'm doing everything full tilt," he said. "I'm not even sure when (the doctors) were supposed to clear me, because I've been doing everything anyway. I guess I just cleared myself."

Jones, who also shed about 10 pounds from last season's playing weight, said he expects his left shoulder to be "back to normal" before the start of the regular season.

Shade
10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
That's what we call "bittersweet." :eek:

Pig Nash
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
:bunny: I still just don't know!

MagicRat
10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
I heard a little Artest interview on the way home talking about his number. He said he was running out of numbers because Foster had B.J.'s number, James Jones has Pippen's number, JO has Kukoc's and "I love Will Perdue, but I ain't wearing his number."

It was pretty funny.....

Anthem
10-05-2004, 08:01 PM
James Jones... Pippen... interesting.

db530
10-06-2004, 01:19 AM
I would like to see Artest end it as a Pacer

Anyways what is with these pictures of Scot Pollard?