PDA

View Full Version : Bulls sensitive to hard fouls

HoopMoney
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Bulls sensitive to hard fouls

The Chicago Bulls were ultra sensitive to hard fouls on Derrick Rose in the first game of the best of seven series. Jeff Foster gave Derrick Rose a hard foul in the first half of game one. Rose took exception and got into Jeff's face. Jeff did the mature thing, just stared back, raised his hand and didn't back away. Rose didn't even fall down on the play but said. "If you think it's a dirty foul or dirty play you got to say something. If you don't then they'll continue to do it."

In the second half Tyler Hansbrough gave Rose a foul that looked worse than it really was. Tyler used his off hand to put it on the shoulder of Rose preventing him from elevating while he was driving to the basket. Then he came down on the ball and was called for the foul. That is the play that Luol Deng didn't like but again Rose didn't even fall down. Luol came over, gave Tyler a push and was called for a tech. Luol used that occasion to pump up the crowd by waving his arms up and down. "I knew they were going to be that way," said Rose. "I tried to put in my head that it's going to be hard getting there."

The Bulls anticipated that they may be the victims of some hard fouls but was the message sent in game one? "They were hard (fouls) but they weren't that hard," Rose said. "That's why I continued to drive." Derrick averaged 7 free throw attempts during the regular season but attempted 21 in game one.

The only truly hard foul came from the Bulls Kurt Thomas. He made a veteran move by elbowing Tyler Hansbrough in the side of the head while trying to get a rebound. He made it look like it was inadvertent contact. The refs called the foul as Tyler was on the ground. What is shocking is how the other Pacers reacted or should I say didn't react. Tyler is on the ground in pain after getting knocked silly but none of his teammates came to his rescue. None of the Pacers had any words for Kurt or got in his face. A big contrast to how the Bulls rally behind there teammates. Nobody let Tyler know that they have his back.

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel was asked about the play and said that he didn't see it. The whole team acted like they didn't see it. Tyler shook it off, came back into the game and acted like nothing happened. After the game his ear was still red from the contact.

What's going to happen if the Bulls get frustrated and start resorting to cheep shots? Are the Pacers going to ignore it or rally to the aid of there players? Are the Pacers going to be able to knock Rose down to make him think twice about going to the hoop? What are your thoughts? Feel free to drop some knowledge. Go Pacers!

Fellow Area 55ers & PTOers, HoopMoney droppin knowledge. Oww!

Isaac
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Rose even admits he kept driving because the fouls weren't hard enough! I want him on the ground! I wouldn't even mind a flagrant to be honest. Make him think twice about coming in there please.

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
He can say what he wants, but those fouls were getting to him. Just keep putting him on his butt, even if it's just one time this series late in a game, we force him into a pull up because he's sore and doesn't want contact, then it's worked.

Eleazar
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Both of those fouls were solid fouls, but neither were hard fouls. If you don't end up on the ground it probably isn't a hard foul.

Speed
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm sure Orlando/ATL or Heat/Boston won't foul him hard in the next series. If they/he gets rattled so easily, they are in for some surprises.

Kid Minneapolis
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
It was troubling to me that Hansbrough was on the ground and none of the other players really got too worked up.

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
It was troubling to me that Hansbrough was on the ground and none of the other players really got too worked up.

I think you could tell they were concerned they all gathered around him. What do you want them to do burst into tears?

ApNeDtRiEeW
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Dahntay and Lance had some choice words for Kurt from the bench

PacerDude
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Is it too late to sign Dale and/or Antonio Davis to a short term contract ??

Isaac
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Is it too late to sign Dale and/or Antonio Davis to a short term contract ??

Ignoring legality, we should bring Dale in for a few days to be a goon coach. First lesson, elbows and nasty glares.

BillS
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Rose even admits he kept driving because the fouls weren't hard enough! I want him on the ground! I wouldn't even mind a flagrant to be honest. Make him think twice about coming in there please.

I don't want to see a flagrant. Winning by attacking another player beyond the rules of the game - or, worse, by trying to injure a great player because you have no way to stop him - is admitting you're a loser.

Even worse is to do that out of frustration because you are getting clobbered. It's like the NBA version of a temper tantrum.

I think you could tell they were concerned they all gathered around him. What do you want them to do burst into tears?

I think he meant that no one tried to "defend" Tyler or get into anyone's face over it. To be honest, though, that's because I think they knew it wasn't an intentional attempt to take him out.

I like that reaction even to something more intentional, though - don't let the hard fouls get into your head, keep playing through them, let your coach get the T.

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm sure Orlando/ATL or Heat/Boston won't foul him hard in the next series. If they/he gets rattled so easily, they are in for some surprises.

Is this sarcasm or not?

Isaac
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't want to see a flagrant. Winning by attacking another player beyond the rules of the game - or, worse, by trying to injure a great player because you have no way to stop him - is admitting you're a loser.

Even worse is to do that out of frustration because you are getting clobbered. It's like the NBA version of a temper tantrum.

I completely agree with this sentiment, I figured I'd have to go deeper in to what I meant. If we are giving Rose 90s style hard fouls when he drives, there will be one that looks worse and more malicious than it is and a flagrant will be called. Rose is going to get calls. Let's not try not to foul and end up giving him 3 point plays, chest bumping moments, momentum, etc. Let's put him on the ground and make him earn it.

Eleazar
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I completely agree with this sentiment, I figured I'd have to go deeper in to what I meant. If we are giving Rose 90s style hard fouls when he drives, there will be one that looks worse and more malicious than it is and a flagrant will be called. Rose is going to get calls. Let's not try not to foul and end up giving him 3 point plays, chest bumping moments, momentum, etc. Let's put him on the ground and make him earn it.

Exactly, if a foul is going to be called don't be soft about it. 90% of and 1's are because of soft fouls, especially on fast breaks. Those fouls are just stupid, no they are beyond stupid they are unacceptable. If you aren't go to prevent the player from scoring then just let them score. Instead give them a good solid foul that will prevent them from scoring the and 1. If the refs are going to call a foul everytime a player like Rose drives to the basket make sure he lands on his *** a few times. It really doesn't take much, and can easily be hidden if you have good control over your body.

ksuttonjr76
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Honestly, when Tyler went down, I was more concern about Tyler then the players getting in Kurt's face. If Tyler didn't have that vertigo problem last season, I believe that the players might have gotten in Kurt's face then.

Keep in mind...Tyler went DOWN, and was motionless for a moment. This wasn't a case of Tyler getting elbowed in the head, then having some choice words with Kurt.

EDIT: Reviewing the game though, the Bulls seem to be focused on giving Tyler hard fouls. To me, that's an indication that they believe Tyler is the player to be worried about, and not Granger. Glad he was named Psycho T for a reason.

Wage
04-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Rose got to the line 21 times, yet he still walked out of the arena. Rose hasn't seen a hard foul yet.

JEM
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
EDIT: Reviewing the game though, the Bulls seem to be focused on giving Tyler hard fouls. To me, that's an indication that they believe Tyler is the player to be worried about, and not Granger. Glad he was named Psycho T for a reason.

I think that was the plan late in the 4th after Hansbrough went off.. Noah and Boozer were both shoving him pretty good under the basket. One time Tyler had good position then a split second later went head first into the padded area of the goal.

Sookie
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Honestly, when Tyler went down, I was more concern about Tyler then the players getting in Kurt's face. If Tyler didn't have that vertigo problem last season, I believe that the players might have gotten in Kurt's face then.

Keep in mind...Tyler went DOWN, and was motionless for a moment. This wasn't a case of Tyler getting elbowed in the head, then having some choice words with Kurt.

It was also Foster, AJ, Dun and Rush in the game at that moment. Exactly which one of those guys are going to get in anyone's face? :laugh:

BillS
04-18-2011, 05:07 PM
It was also Foster, AJ, Dun and Rush in the game at that moment. Exactly which one of those guys are going to get in anyone's face? :laugh:

Wouldn't put it past Foster.

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
And Dun did go right over to Tyler.

makaveli
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I watched (for the 100th time) the 30 for 30 Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the NY Knicks last night before the game just to get in the mood....if the Bulls want to see what are considered hard fouls by playoffs standards they should just watch some tape of those Pacers/Knicks wars. You were literally taking your life into your own hands driving down the lane on Dale and AD or Oak and Mason. Those are Pussy fouls the Bulls are whining about.

TheDon
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Ignoring legality, we should bring Dale in for a few days to be a goon coach. First lesson, elbows and nasty glares.

lmao that's awesome. I remember Dale used to give some looks at people like he was in jail and looking to make them his girlfriend. Somethin like this

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/12687000/ngbbs46538adaf0ef8.jpg

Drewtone
04-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Pollard had one of the all-time funniest in Ben Wallace's face: "What??? What?!?!"

CableKC
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM

The first thing I thought of was whether this could cause some of the vertigo that he experienced in the first place. A nice shot to the temple liek the one that Kurt Thomas game him can't be good for the head and brain.

Eleazar
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
The first thing I thought of was whether this could cause some of the vertigo that he experienced in the first place. A nice shot to the temple liek the one that Kurt Thomas game him can't be good for the head and brain.

Yeah, that was my second thought after concussion.

Merz
04-19-2011, 07:56 PM
If they're going to call a foul 95% of the time he drives, the Pacers might as well make them worth it. No soft fouls in the lane. They should all be hard.

Oliver
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I hate Kurt Thomas.