PDA

View Full Version : Really Roy Hibbert?

WhatCouldHaveBeen
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I know no one is giving us a chance...but does hibbert really need to say that the pacers "Shock" the world and win ONE game? Shock the world by not being swept? WTF?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213150/Hibbert_Guarantees_At_Least_One_Win_For_Pacers

maybe it's just me but i want to win the damn series to shock the world

KingGeorge
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Hibbert never said we are going to shock the world.

On the link you posted, it just says, "We're going to shock some people".

I don't think he meant that in a negative way, but he was saying that because people are not giving this team a chance.

I really don't think guarantees mean anything in sports, but hopefully this encourages Hibbert to come crash the boards with Noah the rest of the series, and take over the low post offensively.

daschysta
04-18-2011, 01:59 PM
The vast majority of people (particularly in the mainstream sports journalism world) are predicting a sweep. So in that sense winning one or more games would shock alot of people, just listen to how the announcers prostrate for chicago during the broadcast. Us not getting blown out was shocking to them.

Plus this doesn't mean hibbert doesn't want to win the series...

Bball
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Gotta win one game to even consider winning the series. You cannot get to 4 wins without at least winning the first of those 4 needed games....

Signed,
Mr. Obvious

SMosley21
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Overreact much?

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Hibbert had 2 separate comments...

1.) "We are definitely not going to be swept"
2.) "We're going to shock a lot of people"

gummy
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I didn't read that the way the OP did at all, but then again I heard the whole interview first. Two separate comments, as Trader Joe said. This little tidbit compresses what he said to try and spin it into something confrontational.

The takeaway points are that we are going to go hard and compete every game and we are not going to get swept. Lots of people expected us to get stomped for four games and sent on our way, so it would be a shock to a lot of people if the games were competitive. I am sure Hibbert's goal is to win the series too.

BillS
04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Oh, for the sake of Peter and all the Saints.

If some people had their way, players would say nothing about an upcoming game that would indicate confidence at all. If this goes on, people will be calling "I think we'll only lose by 50" bulletin board material.

There's "We'll win the series" and there's "We won't be swept". No one can possibly tell me they are the same.

What amazes me is that in a different context people would be climbing all over Roy for having no confidence in the team whatsoever.

Spirit
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Signed,
Mr. Obvious

Ahem.

PacerDude
04-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I guess Roy should have curled up with his blankie, held on to his stuffed puppy, said "We're going to lose 4 straight and look bad doing it" and then taken his afternoon nap.

WTF does anyone expect him to say ??

BillS
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I guess Roy should have curled up with his blankie, held on to his stuffed puppy, said "We're going to lose 4 straight and look bad doing it" and then taken his afternoon nap.

WTF does anyone expect him to say ??

Obviously, the only thing any player is ever allowed to say is "<Opponents X> are a great ball team and it is going to be difficult. We'll do the best we can, but we don't have any confidence in the outcome."

Eleazar
04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
There's "We'll win the series" and there's "We won't be swept". No one can possibly tell me they are the same.

I'll tell you they are the same, but I'll also tell you neither one is trash talking. Trash talking is saying we will win this in a blow out, the Bulls have absolutely zero chance of even coming close to winning a game. Saying "We'll win the series" or "We won't be swept" is just having confidence within yourself and the team. Bulls players would have to be either idiots or desperate for trash talk to think either of those sayings is trash talk. personally I don't give a **** if you give them tons of "bulletin board" material. These players aren't in the pros because they needed "bulletin board material" in order to get up and play better. They are in the pros because they just got up and played better no matter what.

ksuttonjr76
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Didn't we shock people already this past Saturday?

WhatCouldHaveBeen
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
what would you guys think if REGGIE said that? "were going to shock people" and then say "We won't get swept" LOL...that's your goal? not to get swept. Come on man...I don't care who the other team is. That isn't jordan over there. I think the team believes they can win this series but for the most part they don't buy into it 100%. I want hibbert to say "We are going to do everything we can to win this series" Maybe i'm not seeing it but i haven't seen one quote maybe outside of danny say "we are going to win the series" wtf who wants to be competitive? if you still lose you still lose. Moral victories suck

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
what would you guys think if REGGIE said that? "were going to shock people" and then say "We won't get swept" LOL...that's your goal? not to get swept. Come on man...I don't care who the other team is. That isn't jordan over there. I think the team believes they can win this series but for the most part they don't buy into it 100%. I want hibbert to say "We are going to do everything we can to win this series" Maybe i'm not seeing it but i haven't seen one quote maybe outside of danny say "we are going to win the series" wtf who wants to be competitive? if you still lose you still lose. Moral victories suck

You are interpreting it as that he is saying they will win only one game, when thats not what he said. We wont get swept is anything from winning one game to winning the series. Shocking people is really winning at least 2 games, but Roy could have very well meant it as we are gonna win the series. We don't know for sure. Settle down and don't worry about words said. Worry about what they do on the court

docpaul
04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't we shock people already this past Saturday?

That will happen once we win a game on their court. :)

There are no consolation prizes in the playoffs. :)

MrPreGame
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
They just talked about this on Sports Nation on ESPN2.

Michelle Beadle (somewhat jokingly) liked Roy's realistic outlook.
Michael Smith said it was the worst trash talk of all time showing no confidence in Roy's own team

croz24
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
further proof there's no leader on this team. you think reggie was satisfied with only winning a game or two in a series and thus not getting swept? c'mon. as chris paul stated after his team beat the lakers: come playoff time you have a clean slate and it's anybody's series to win. here we are setting our aspirations to not getting swept. ridiculous. especially disappointing since i love hibbert. first the fans, now the players...

IndyHoya
04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
They just talked about this on Sports Nation on ESPN2.

Michelle Beadle liked Roy's realistic outlook.
Michael Smith said it was the worst trash talk of all time showing no confidence in Roy's own team

Screw 'em. Roy's OK and I'm OK with Roy. Go Pacers! Shock the world!

BillS
04-18-2011, 04:59 PM
further proof there's no leader on this team. you think reggie was satisfied with only winning a game or two in a series and thus not getting swept? c'mon. as chris paul stated after his team beat the lakers: come playoff time you have a clean slate and it's anybody's series to win. here we are setting our aspirations to not getting swept. ridiculous. especially disappointing since i love hibbert. first the fans, now the players...

I rest my case...

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 05:02 PM

How do you know Roy's comment about shocking some people isn't about the Pacers winning the series? Every post you make is such a Debbie Downer man. It's ok to be a fan sometimes.

croz24
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I rest my case...

name me one time reggie, kobe, jordan, shaq, magic, bird, duncan, etc etc EVER went into a series content with winning a game or two. i rest my case...

Sookie
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
name me one time reggie, kobe, jordan, shaq, magic, bird, duncan, etc etc EVER went into a series content with winning a game or two. i rest my case...

That's not what Roy said...

BillS
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

I'm just saying Roy can't win. Between some people saying he's too arrogant and giving the Bulls bulletin board material and others saying he's too much of a downer. There were plenty of folks on the first side, you were the person on the second side proving my point.

croz24
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
How do you know Roy's comment about shocking some people isn't about the Pacers winning the series? Every post you make is such a Debbie Downer man. It's ok to be a fan sometimes.

and nearly every post i see of yours is nothing but homerism at its finest. being a homer gets you nowhere. as a fan we expect contending teams and championships. the players should have the same mentality. but far too often on this board and from the pacers organization there is a lack of expectations and being content with mediocrity. it's about finding where and how we can improve and improving upon it. why should any of us be satisfied with anything less than titles? that's why the players play is it not. to win? as many flaws as hansbrough has, he seems to be one of the few players who shows the intensity and determination it takes on a nightly basis to win a title. every pacer can learn a thing or two from hans.

IndyHoya
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM

I think you'd make a wonderful Talmudic (or ESPN) scholar.

Roy: "I'm going to have a good lunch and then play my heart out"

ESPN: "Roy doesn't care about the game. He's just going to eat lunch."

ESPN: "'Playing your heart out' isn't enough. A real NBA "star" plays his heart out; gets defibrillated; then plays his heart out again in the Playoffs. The Pacers have no leadership!"

ESPN: "Would Reggie Miller eat lunch before a playoff game? No!"

ESPN: "Is this good trash talk? No! This is not the right kind of trash talk!"

ESPN: "There's just no leadership on this team!"

ESPN: "Wait till the Bulls hear this! Talk about locker room motivation! Is Roy crazy?"

ESPN: "No one eats lunch in the playoffs! Roy's certainly not focused!"

ESPN: "Stay tuned! A panel of former NBA players critiques Roy's lunch choices!"

croz24
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
That's not what Roy said...

by saying we are going to shock the world by not getting swept is implying the pacers are content with less than winning the series. how you can think otherwise given his statement, idk.

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 05:17 PM
by saying we are going to shock the world by not getting swept is implying the pacers are content with less than winning the series. how you can think otherwise given his statement, idk.

Except they are two separate statements.

Sookie
04-18-2011, 05:17 PM

It was two separate statements..as was pointed out earlier.

He said we are going to shock some people.

And he said we aren't going to get swept. They weren't a combined statement. No need to take it that way just because ESPN did.

troyc11a
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
I would be happy if the Pacers dont get swept! If they won a couple games I would be cheering for Vogel to return and for them not to make wholesale changes.
But then again, I am a fan. When I played, I never went into a game just hoping not to get embarrased. These guys are playing at the top level. They should be thinking about winning! I will give Hibbert the benefit of the doubt = He is talking about winning!

righteouscool
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
and nearly every post i see of yours is nothing but homerism at its finest. being a homer gets you nowhere. as a fan we expect contending teams and championships. the players should have the same mentality. but far too often on this board and from the pacers organization there is a lack of expectations and being content with mediocrity. it's about finding where and how we can improve and improving upon it. why should any of us be satisfied with anything less than titles? that's why the players play is it not. to win? as many flaws as hansbrough has, he seems to be one of the few players who shows the intensity and determination it takes on a nightly basis to win a title. every pacer can learn a thing or two from hans.

Lol, these are pro athletes. These are humans that have STOMPED their competition for their entire lives and finally have to deal with being called a loser, a choker, and playing every night against people that are equally as gifted as them. It blows my mind that people think pro athletes aren't competitive and are "okay with mediocrity." I guarantee that loser label burns them a lot more then you can even comprehend.

Gold
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I see two actual quotes from Hibbert and none of them say "we're going to at least win one,". I'm pretty sure the title was pretty much an assumption that was made off of just "There's no way they're going to sweep us,"

BUT, Hibbert on one of the pre series interview videos didn't say "we're going to look to win the series," like Danny Granger did and said "We're looking to come into this series and win a couple of games," So you can go off of that as far as having a low goal. but that little article is a joke imo.

TinManJoshua
04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
blah, blah, blah...

http://twenty-somethingtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters_gonna_hate.gif

croz24
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
It was two separate statements..as was pointed out earlier.

He said we are going to shock some people.

And he said we aren't going to get swept. They weren't a combined statement. No need to take it that way just because ESPN did.

if it was two separate statements then i apologize and take back some of my comments. i still sense a feeling of contentment with certain players however.

croz24
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Lol, these are pro athletes. These are humans that have STOMPED their competition for their entire lives and finally have to deal with being called a loser, a choker, and playing every night against people that are equally as gifted as them. It blows my mind that people think pro athletes aren't competitive and are "okay with mediocrity." I guarantee that loser label burns them a lot more then you can even comprehend.

jamarcus russell, erick dampier, randy moss, eddy curry, and the list goes on... many of these guys care about money first, second, third, and then the game of basketball/football/baseball. also the reason if you play fantasy, you always draft the guys in contract years. without that financial incentive, i don't expect maximum effort from pro athletes anymore.

KingGeorge
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
jamarcus russell, erick dampier, randy moss, eddy curry, and the list goes on... many of these guys care about money first, second, third, and then the game of basketball/football/baseball. also the reason if you play fantasy, you always draft the guys in contract years. without that financial incentive, i don't expect maximum effort from pro athletes anymore.

I don't think that is a fair statement toward pro athletes.

Yes, I agree that there are certain players that only care about money like the ones you listed, but I believe there are many more players working their hardest.

Most pro athletes, ranging from NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. are working hard to reach their goals, whatever they may be.

Think about the guys who are on the practice squad or farm system working to make a name for themselves. You also have the backup guys showing effort to make the first squad, and a lot of the first squad guys are focusing on winning a championship.

Also, of course players play better in contract years because of the financial incentive. Wouldn't you work harder if you were going to get a raise at your job? I think many people forget this is their career as well.

ksuttonjr76
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Aren't we analyzing his comments just a tad bit too much? It was just two sentences.

KingGeorge
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Aren't we analyzing his comments just a tad bit too much? It was just two sentences.

Maybe.

I always thought the purpose of a forum was to share your thoughts with other posters.

Scot Pollard
04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Hopefully he rips out Noah's disgusting rats nest hair.

BringJackBack
04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Looks like a bunch of spiders are having a meeting on his head or something. Drives me nuts.