PDA

View Full Version : Any word on who's calling the game tonight?

I Love P
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Just interested in who is calling the game on TNT tonight. I thought ESPN did a horrible job Saturday with Jon Barry calling the game. Did he not get off at least 43 times talking about Derrick Rose? It was sickening. Thank god we dont have another game scheduled (2-4) on ESPN.

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Might be Reggie and Kevin Harlan - although they might be doing the Heat game tonight.

Merv and Steve Kerr who did the Knicks vs Celts last night are doing that tomorrow night. So it won't be them.

So that leaves maybe McHale or Mike fratello.

Sorry I'm not really narrowing it down for you

I Love P
04-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I would take Ian Eagle, the guy that called the Thunder/Nuggets game last night.

TMJ31
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Might be Reggie and Kevin Harlan - although they might be doing the Heat game tonight.

Merv and Steve Kerr who did the Knicks vs Celts last night are doing that tomorrow night. So it won't be them.

So that leaves maybe McHale or Mike fratello.

Sorry I'm not really narrowing it down for you

It would be really special to have Reggie call a Pacers playoff game, which means that the network probably thought it was a bad idea and won't let it happen...

Basketball Fan
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry guys they are calling the Heat game

http://awfulannouncing.com/2011-articles/april/your-2011-nba-playoffs-announcing-schedule-for-games-1-4.html

Monday April 18

Game 2: Philadelphia 76ers @ Miami Heat (TNT 7PM) Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller
Game 2: Indiana Pacers @ Chicago Bulls (TNT 9:30PM) - Dick Stockton, Chris Webber

LetsTalkPacers
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
yea reggie wont be calling any of the pacer games. i dont know where i read it but thats what i read.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
yea reggie wont be calling any of the pacer games. i dont know where i read it but thats what i read.

I think it was from Wells on Twitter, but I read it, too.

I Love P
04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Dick Stocton isn't bad, but Webber? C'mon...we would get the worst announcer on TNT, if you even call him that.

Marlin
04-18-2011, 01:31 PM
So we have Webber?! Oh my... :rolleyes:

KingGeorge
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I will be fine with anyone other than the people who called the game Saturday.

Pacergeek
04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Just interested in who is calling the game on TNT tonight. I thought ESPN did a horrible job Saturday with Jon Barry calling the game. Did he not get off at least 43 times talking about Derrick Rose? It was sickening. Thank god we dont have another game scheduled (2-4) on ESPN.

agreed. i honestly thought that game had the most biased commentary that i have ever heard. this is coming from a colts fan that has to put up with dan dierdorf.

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I didn't realize TNT had 5 sets. Dick and CWebb? Not sure that is good. That is 5th string guys right there.

TMJ31
04-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh dear Lord...
CWebb?!

This is going to be fun =\

I want Reggie!

Basketball Fan
04-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I didn't realize TNT had 5 sets. Dick and CWebb? Not sure that is good. That is 5th string guys right there.

They tend to mix it up

There's

Albert/Fratello
Harlan/Miller
Stockton/Harlan
Barkley and Webber occassionally are thrown in to either of these pairings.

Mr_Smith
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm just glad its not on ESPN with Jon Barry. That guy is just horrible and can't stay off D-Rose's nuts. I know he's got his foot in his mouth after he basically gave the Hornets no chance to beat the Lakers on Sunday.

mboyle1313
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
All,

Personally, I don't see much difference between Weber and Miller. Do those of you that like Miller prefer him simply because he used to play for the Pacers?

MJB

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
All,

Personally, I don't see much difference between Weber and Miller. Do those of you that like Miller prefer him simply because he used to play for the Pacers?

MJB

I hate to have to admit it, but Reggie is not good at all. He butchers the english langauge, but worse than that is he almost never says anything beyond the obvious. And I am trying to be kind. I think Webber will be better

Pacergeek
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
All,

MJB

yes. plus it would be fun to listen to Reggie be over-critical of the Pacers just to make it seem like he is neutral. I don't mind C-Webb though.

BillS
04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
All,

MJB

I think we want to tell ourselves Reggie is doing well because of how much we care about him, but I certainly have not been impressed. I think it's another area where Cheryl does better :zip:

I think that with Reggie on the team there would at least be mentions of the Pacers if nothing else just to try to get Reggie to say something. That'd be a positive given that even with the Pacers leading by 12 the ESPN guys couldn't find anything to talk about but DRose.

TMJ31
04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
All,

MJB

Well obviously yes.

I'm fully aware that by professional standards Reggie is not nearly as talented a natural color commentator as most who have been doing it for 10+ years. And yes, of course most people who didn't grow up idolizing him are hyper critical of his analyst performance.

But for me personally, I don't really care.

Reggie is still Reggie to me. I grew up hanging on his every move on the basketball court, and I developed a genuine love for the man. So for me, just to hear his voice on the other end of the TV while watching a basketball game brings a smile to my face.

I realize not all Pacer fans share this appreciation, and that's fine.

For me personally, hearing Reggie call a Pacers playoff game would be truly memorable, and it's a shame they decided not to allow this to happen.

Can you imagine if Reggie was calling Game 3 at Conseco? Tell me that would not get the crowd even more excited and raise the atmosphere even further!

Missed opportunity, IMO.

Peck
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I think we all like Hubie Brown, however for my money the team of Albert & Fratello usually offers the best of both worlds. Knowledge from Mike & the voice with decent delivery from Marv.

I like Uncle Bucks description of the NBAtv staff as well. Although I'll just say it now Rick Kamala (sp?) drives me up a wall.

BringJackBack
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
All,

MJB

Nope. Don't enjoy either of them much. I do think that Reggie has more charisma than Webber though.

All that I know for a fact is that Webber is going to be clowning us no matter the outcome of the game.

BillS
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I think we all like Hubie Brown, however for my money the team of Albert & Fratello usually offers the best of both worlds. Knowledge from Mike & the voice with decent delivery from Marv.

I love Hubie's knowledge of the game.

Somehow, I just can't separate Marv from the Knicks, no matter how hard I try. He's good, but my blood pressure always goes up when I hear his voice.

Trophy
04-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Chris Webber?

:vaderno:

All he does is make fun of teams and doesn't even make sense at times.

I didn't even think he'd be cut out to be a game announcer.

Eddie Gill
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
All,

MJB

Yes.

Kegboy
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I think Reggie does fine, have since his WNBA days.

That said, I would be perfectly content if I never hear him call another college game again. He was way too critical of the players, every play he would zero in on whichever kid wasn't doing what he felt they should be and would rag on them about it. Even my dad complained about it. I think Reggie's head would have exploded if he'd called the championship game.

If he does more college (which he almost definitely will due to the new TV deal), he really needs to lighten up and remember the kids aren't pros.

naptownmenace
04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I hate to have to admit it, but Reggie is not good at all. He butchers the english langauge, but worse than that is he almost never says anything beyond the obvious. And I am trying to be kind. I think Webber will be better

I'm with you. I was so disappointed in Reggie when he covered the Utah Jazz Game a couple of weeks ago. It was after Butler's Final Four game and he kept saying Gordon's last name incorrectly.

It's Hayward not Haywood! It's on the back of his freaking jersey for Pete's sake!

I actually like CWebb. He's hilarious to me and he has a natural voice. The only downside to him is that he talks too much while exciting plays are developing on the court. Watching a game with him on the sidelines will be very distracting.

ksuttonjr76
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't care if it's Gilbert Gottfried as long as it's not Jon Barry.

Pacergeek
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
why can't bill walton do our game?

Psyren
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Webber is awful as well, but I don't know if you can get any worse than what Barry did last game.

ilive4sports
04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't mind Chris Webber's announcing at all. Quite frankly TNT's cast is much better than ESPN's. The only guys I like for ESPN are Tirico, Hubie Brown and Dr. Jack Ramsay. I can't stand listening to Barry, Van Gundy (does this man sleep, seriously, it pains to see him on tv...) and Mark Jackson (gasp).

neosmndrew
04-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one who liked Dan Shulman? I mean, Jon Barry can't go no more than 5 words without saying Derrick Rose, but Shulman has a very intense voice and, particularly on Tyler's breakaway And 1, he realized how big a upset it would have been.

Anyway, CWebb is someone I've never actually heard. I really like Dick Stockton. He's been doing it for longer than anyone, except Marv (I think.) and knows what to say.

TinManJoshua
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
MJB:

This is rather off-topic, but who are your favorite current broadcast teams(nationally or locally)?

Which broadcasters do you look up to?

Thanks in advance,
TinMan

Scot Pollard
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Poor Chris Webber can't save the Sacramento Kings.

grace
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
As long as it's not Mark Jackson and JVG I'm content. I'd even rather listen to Bill Walton than those two. I'd be miserable but at least I wouldn't be contemplating :suicide4:

Jon Theodore
04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Reggie is a terrible announcer, but TNT missed an opportunity to have Reggie call this game. Really, if everyone loves Chicago so much and thinks they will win...the thing to do would be TALK UP the Pacers. Make it sound like they are playing great basketball and are a very tough oppenent (regardless if it is true or not.)

Then assuming Chicago wins, you have made it seem like it was a win against a very tough opponent, thus giving Chicago even MORE credibility as "Champion contenders."

They have the best record in the league, maybe they do not need any more credibility...but for me personally this is simple psychology. Make the (Casual) fans think Indiana is better than they actually are, giving the fans even more reason to be excited about Chicago winning.

Having Reggie call this game, could add a little credibility to the Pacer team. Considering Reggie has generally been too critical of the Pacers in the past, if he did the game with a bit of "Pacers homerism" it would probably lead to a handful of people giving the Pacers a little more credit. I agree with another poster who said Reggie should do game 3 in Indiana, that would be special...for everyone involved. Fans would be more alive with Reggie in the building, which creates a better atmosphere which generally would create better ratings.

It all seems like obvious stuff to me...missed opportunity as others have said.

PS: C Webb is not that terrible, to me he is generally pretty unbiased and makes sense.

Ransom
04-18-2011, 10:02 PM
For the record, so far I've liked Webber's commentary, he gave Foster props!

Kaufman
04-19-2011, 12:31 AM
well called game by webber.

pacer4ever
04-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Dick Stockton was terrible he should stick to football. I liked C-webbs breakdown of our poor offense at times is due to playing selfish

Mark
04-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Wow loved Webber tonight. A national guy without the bias.

Stockton on the other hand seemed to be 5 seconds behind on everything and at times clueless.

Kaufman
04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
stockton --- "aj price didn't get a chance to play in game one...."

stockton --- "tj ford showing what he can do after sitting out in game one"..... and the last 58 games

pacer4ever
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
stockton --- "aj price didn't get a chance to play in game one...."

stockton --- "tj ford showing what he can do after sitting out in game one"..... and the last 58 games

he messed up like that every 2 mins no joke.

with .9 seconds left "still 9 seconds left"

by far the funniest "and 1 by Paul George"(on the charge by hibbert)

Ransom
04-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah, nice job by Webber, kind of a rough night for Stockton.

MyFavMartin
04-19-2011, 01:01 AM
They should get Kerr with Miller for Game #3 and listen to the Bull vs. Pacer give each other hell.

Hicks
04-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Webber was great. Stockton was painful.

Dr. Hibbert
04-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Had Stockton ever seen the Pacers roster prior to tonight? Man, it was like watching Bob Lamey call a basketball game, but not funny at all.

pacer4ever
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM
They should get Kerr with Miller for Game #3 and listen to the Bull vs. Pacer give each other hell.

game 4 you mean when it is on TNT? NBA tv normaly does the local feed(dont know if it is different for the playoffs).

Heisenberg
04-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Webber was really good. Of course, compared to friggin Jon Barry Reggie woulda came off like Chick Hearn.

AesopRockOn
04-19-2011, 02:49 AM
I don't care if it's Gilbert Gottfried as long as it's not Jon Barry.

Derrick Rose WALKS into a BAR! The bartender says, "What CAN I get YOU?" Rose says, "A two who plays on both sides." The bartender SAYS, "LINDSEY LOHAN is in JAIL right now! Why didn't YOU just sign WESLEY MATTHEWS in the OFFSEASON!?!"

:duck:

mboyle1313
04-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Tin Man,

I think Marv Albert, Mike Breen, and Dan Schulman are all exceptional, and I enjoy Hubie Brown, Jeff Van Gundy, and Steve Kerr on analysis. The rest, you can thrown into a hat and pull one out; they're interchangeable, except for Dick Stockton, who is the only man ever to broadcast an NBA game after he died.

MJB

mattie
04-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Webber did an excellent job.

I was actually surprised by the majority of posters on here upset with Webber being picked prior to the game. Webber is on NBATV a lot and he does an excellent job. Webber is a true NBA fan and as a result knows the game well. It's not surprising to see so many announcers know absolutely nothing about the Pacers, but with Webber I wasn't surprised in the least bit. He watched a lot of basketball, probably much more than any of us does... Always love watching him on NBATV.

I think the biggest reason so many announcers aren't as good, as it is just a job so they don't spend as much time focused on each and every team. They know the Heat, Lakers etc very well of course but wouldn't know much about the Pacers.