PDA

View Full Version : Ok, for those of you that watched every playoff game over the weekend

Peck
04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
what was the best game?

What suprised you the most?

Who had the best individual day?

Who was worse than you thought?

What star player didn't shine?

Any other thoughts?

I'm looking at you Uncle Buck, Kstat, etc.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 12:08 PM
best game Boston vs NYK

best day would be runners up Westbrook Durant Rose winner CP3

Kobe didnt shine

Sookie
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I saw bits and pieces of all of them, except the last game (OKC v Denver)

Best game, I thought ours was, actually. Although, it would have been better if we'd won.

Also our game. I thought for sure the Pacers were going to get blown out.

Chris Paul

Pau Gasol

Pau Gasol

I'm not worried about the Lakers, Pau will show up 4 times, although he can officially shut up about wanting more touches. With Nelson and Dwight, Orlando should be much better than what they are. Quite frankly, I blame SVG.

The Celtics game..everyone knew (or should have known) Ray Allen was going to get that shot. And Ray managed to get an open shot. He didn't create for himself, he got a wide open three point shot. Can we figure out how to do this for Danny please?

BPump33
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

I didn't catch the Miami/Phi game, but....

Memphis surprised me the most. I know SA didn't have Ginobli, but Memphis doesn't have Rudy, either. Randolph is a beast down low.

I think Rose/CP3 both had great days.

The best play I saw came from Kevin Durant. Did anyone else see the layup he hit last night? I can't even explain it, I'll try to find the video. (video at 1:34 mark)

Orlando's supporting cast was terrible.

I have to add. I'm not an NBA fan. I'm a Pacers fan. I don't normally watch games that don't involve the Pacers, but these playoff games were fantastic.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKKbCXrQvkM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKKbCXrQvkM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

daschysta
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The bias in me can't call any other but ours teh best and most entertaining game.

Out of the others though there were so many, my personal choice is the OKC Denver matchup that was extremely fun.

The stars that shined brightest imo were durant howard and rose (even though howard lost he was so dominate, it's a shame his team has regressed)

Trophy
This was definitely the best opening playoff games in a long time.

I liked the Grizzlies/Spurs and Thunder/Nuggets and of course our competive game 1.

I thought Rose and Durant played some great games.

After the opening games, I don't think anyone is going to be swept.

pacer4ever
I didn't catch the Miami/Phi game, but....

Memphis surprised me the most. I know SA didn't have Ginobli, but Memphis doesn't have Rudy, either. Randolph is a beast down low.

I think Rose/CP3 both had great days.

The best play I saw came from Kevin Durant. Did anyone else see the layup he hit last night? I can't even explain it, I'll try to find the video.

Orlando's supporting cast was terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKbCXrQvkM

ya unreal 1:37

Ya ORL not showing up was my biggest surprise

Trophy
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKbCXrQvkM

ya unreal 1:37

Ya ORL not showing up was my biggest surprise

That's an MVP move right there.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
That's an MVP move right there.

it certinly got me off my sofa saying "did he really just do that". The guy is 6"11 and made a Drose type move crazy.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
it certinly got me off my sofa saying "did he really just do that". The guy is 6"11 and made a Drose type move crazy.

Who do you think you are, John Starks?

Kstat
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
what was the best game?

Grizzlies/Spurs

Hornets/Lakers

Chris Paul

Jason Richardson

Pau Gasol

Any other thoughts?

This is the most unpredictable first weekend in the history of the NBA playoffs. And the higher seed still won 5 of 8.

vnzla81
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Same as Kstats, amazing weekend I was expecting one or two good games, every single game was exciting and maybe Miami/Philly was the most boring game of the weekend.

vapacersfan
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I have already lost two posts, hopefully this one goes through.

What was the best game? The Celtics–Knicks I think. Close second for the Spurs-Grizz

What surprised you the most? – Biased – Pacers game (us not getting blown out, which I was expecting)

Unbiased – How many close games there were, and seeing JO come back and have a good game.

Who had the best individual day? – A bunch of PG’s had great games, but Dwight Howard.

Who was worse than you thought? – The entire Orlando supporting cast. They did know that they had a game that day, right?

What star player didn't shine? – Kobe, which is scary because that just means he will come back and have a monster game two

Any other thoughts? – I still hate how inconsistent NBA refs are, but I think this has been an awesome weekend for the NBA in general. I do wish the NBA would go pro-active on some issues (like that crazy goal tend in the evening game last night) and implement a one challenge system or a replay, something to help alleviate those missed late game calls.

I also really enjoyed Inside the NBA with Ernie, Charles and Kenny. I think Kenny was talking about system players and how all players have to know their roles, and I really agreed with his point. He was saying guys can get away from the system in the first 3 quarters, but in the fourth you have to have a good system and all players have to be willing to buy into it.

Robertmto
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
what was the best game?
Knicks, Celts

Thaddeus Young

CP3

I can't say Gasol becuz he ALWAYS plays this way in the playoffs, so I'll say George Hill

Kobe in the 4th

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

The best game I cannot pick the pacers game because obviously I care about that more so I am biased, so picking out of the other 7 I would rank them this way.

1) Grizzlies beating Spurs
2) OKC beating Denver
3) Hornets beating the Lakers - surprised me the most
4) Celts beating the Knicks

wow yesterday should go down in history as the best day ever - every game was great and maybe the Celtics vs Knicks was the best, I don't know .

5) Mavs beating Blazers
6) Hawks beating magic
7) Heat beating Sixers - although I only watched the last 16 minutes as it was right after the pacers game.

OK if I try to take my Pacers bias out of it, I think our game would be 3rd or 4th on my list.

I also watch all the post game press conferences on NBATV, mainly for the coaches. I could rank the coaches if anyone cares. Monte Williams and larry Drew both impressed me in their press conferences, not that press conferences mean anything in regards to whether a guy is a good coach. Vogel needs some differemnt material as he needs to realize he isn't still talking with the players - although I loved his huddles - those were the best I heard over the weekend.

I think Chris Paul was the best player overall. Although Rose was right there.

I hate to pick stars who didn't play well - I guess Gasol who was outplayed by his younger brother.

I loved seeing some new teams and new coaches in the playoffs. Grizzlies, Hornets, Pacers, Knicks - even though they had players you saw before, loved seeing the Nuggets and there new players.

I like to rank the crowds. Most of the crowds over the weekend are playoff veternas and that makes them a little spoiled. can't wait to see memphis crowd now.

1) The best crowd by far was in OKC. The blue wave and they stood for most of the game.
Really alll the crowds were good, but the Lakers crowd was by far the worst.

Hubie Brown is still my favorite analyst, although I like JVG a lot. TNT's best IMO is Mchale even though he is their 4th anayst - he should be their number #1 guy.

I like Chris Mullen as a player but he just isn't good in the studio, Jalen is pretty good.
ON NBATV, I like Steve Smith, and Brent Barry the best, although Matt Harpring who is not a regular has a future in braodcasting if he wants. Dennis Scott is average at best, mahorn makes some good points, but doesn't seem like he cares

Sollozzo
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I can't say Gasol becuz he ALWAYS plays this way in the playoffs, so I'll say George Hill

What are you talking about? Gasol averaged 19 and 11 last year in the postseason. The year before that, he averaged 18 and 10. Three years ago he averaged 16 and 9, but that was the first extended playoff run of his career. He has improved every postseason for the Lakers and the extended playoff runs have toughened him up.

Here are his lines against Boston's brutal front court in last year's Finals:

23/14
25/8
13/10
21/6
12/12
17/13
19/18

So no, Gasol doesn't "always" play like he did yesterday, when he put up just 8 and 6. He has been a monster the past two years in the postseason and is the biggest reason aside from Kobe that the Lakers have won the last two titles. The numbers prove it. Thus, it IS surprising that he played so poorly yesterday.

BRushWithDeath
04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
what was the best game?

Nuggets @ Thunder

Though there were so many good ones that it's hard to pick. There was truly not one bad game all weekend. Only the Miami/Philly & Atlanta/Orlando games weren't a nailbiters and the performance of Dwight Howard was as dominating as I've seen from a big man since Shaq.

The Hornets beating the Lakers.

Chris Paul. He was truly brilliant.

Though the performances of Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, and Kevin Durant certainly deserve mention and almost any other playoff weekend would have won.

Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, Gilbert Arenas, Brandon Bass, Ryan Alexander, etc.

Carmelo Anthony. He looked like he was pressing the whole game. I expect him to bounce back though.

Any other thoughts?

It's been awhile since I've been to a playoff game. I'd forgotten what it was like. Walking into United Center reminded me that NBA games can be events and not just time fillers. I haven't had that feeling at Conseco in quite awhile. I can't wait for Thursday to feel it again.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
It's been awhile since I've been to a playoff game. I'd forgotten what it was like. Walking into United Center reminded me that NBA games can be events and not just time fillers. I haven't had that feeling at Conseco in quite awhile. I can't wait for Thursday to feel it again.

Not trying to derail the thread, but how were you treated in Chicago? Were you wearing Pacers gear?

xIndyFan
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
thought kobe was weak in the laker game. it seemed like he gave up on the rest of the team and went into kobe/hero mode and never stopped shooting. it came accross as 'don't blame me'. blame someone else. lakers do much better when they play the triangle rather than iso-kobe over and over again.

don't know why, but kobe has been much more selfish this year than last year. :confused:

BRushWithDeath
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Not trying to derail the thread, but how were you treated in Chicago? Were you wearing Pacers gear?

Yes I was wearing Pacers gear. The treatment was fine. The usual catcalls and whatnot but nothing crazy. Just some lighthearted ribbing which was of course returned in kind.

15th parallel
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Best game? OKC-Denver. The lead just keeps swinging the entire 2nd half.

Most surprising? The Pacers almost upsetting the Bulls in game 1. Even the whole ESPN crew are shocked that they aren't seeing the Bulls dominating.

Best individual play? CP3 and Howard, but since Howard's team lost (and he should not feel good that day because they still lost), I'll give it to CP3.

Worse than I thought? The whole Magic team. I never thought that they'll lose so bad to the Hawks.

Star player that didn't shine? Gasol. He normally is consistent during the playoffs.

Other thoughts?
- If the Pacers remain competitive in game 2 and win against the Bulls, I would be disappointed if they don't make an upset.
- Manu is the X-factor in that Spurs team, and probably the most important player right now there. If he's not there, their championship chances are getting slimmer.
- I'm not worried about the Lakers right now. I'll worry about them not making the next round if they are buried in the series by 3-1 against the Hornets.
- There are no clear stronger teams in each matchup as every game 1 is very close. I would have said that the Heat are the most promising to easily get into the 2nd round, but Wade's health is uncertain still (he may miss practices and/or games due to illness).

Isaac
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I didn't see Portland/Dallas or Miami/Philly, but caught almost all of the rest.

what was the best game?
I think our game was the most exciting, but Boston/NY was probably the best indicator of how close the rest of the series will be.

New Orleans controlling every aspect of the game against LA.

Chris Paul. He was incredibly in control. We may have to rethink how easily LA will get through them. If CP3 is this dominant the whole series it could go 7 games. I would still be shocked if they figure out a way to beat the Lakers though...

I also want to give a mention to Jermaine O'Neal. He was a force defensively taking charges, blocking and altering shots, and he played a smart efficient game on offense. Boston doesn't win without his contributions in the second half.

Zach Randolph too. You would never know which was the journey man who bounced from team to team and which was the former MVP with rings on the number 1 seed in that game. Zach looked better.

All the role players for LA. You have to assume that will change. Carmelo didn't look like the clutch player he has been for his whole career in the last NY possession. NY is going to need the closers to close for them to steal this series from Boston.

Kobe and Tim Duncan just weren't quite good enough.

Any other thoughts?
If we take the Bulls to 6 games every series could easily be that long.

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Vogel's huddles had me wanting to throw on a jersey and run through a brick wall.

Talk about a great way to inadvertently interview for the head coaching gig.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Vogel's huddles had me wanting to throw on a jersey and run through a brick wall.

Talk about a great way to inadvertently interview for the head coaching gig.

This was the bad part of the volume not being up. Does anyone know a way to see/hear those huddles?

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
This was the bad part of the volume not being up. Does anyone know a way to see/hear those huddles?

The best one was when we were in the middle of just getting ROLLED on the boards and Vogel goes, "WE'RE A BETTER REBOUNDING TEAM THAN THEM! *Points at Roy* Look at how big you are! *points at Tyler* You should be getting boards too! *Points at Danny and Paul* And you guys you're the tallest people on the wing! *Points at DC* And, uh, you'll get some rebounds too!"

Unclebuck
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
The best one was when we were in the middle of just getting ROLLED on the boards and Vogel goes, "WE'RE A BETTER REBOUNDING TEAM THAN THEM! *Points at Roy* Look at how big you are! *points at Tyler* You should be getting boards too! *Points at Danny and Paul* And you guys you're the tallest people on the wing! *Points at DC* And, uh, you'll get some rebounds too!"

I would have laughed if when he got to Collison, he would have said, well you just do the best you can and cracked a smile.

Actually what impressed me more was his emphasis on continuing to work the offense for the full 24 seconds - epecially late in the shot clock.
That is a huge key to scoring on the Bulls

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
He also made a great point during our surge, that we were defending well and then not bailing them out with fouls late in the shot clock.

Sookie
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM

That was hilarious. Probably my favorite Vogel quote. :laugh:

What was interesting to me, was..as much as they kept talking about the Bulls, it was the Pacers huddle that they were focusing on. And I think the commentators were very impressed with Vogel. The comment they made after he said this quote was "Does he know that the Bulls are the best rebounding team in the league?"

Vogel is so good for this young team. He may not be experienced "enough" but he's sure got these kids believing they can beat the Bulls.

vapacersfan
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM

I remember that, and when he got to DC he just kind said something along the lines of "You will earn some, kep crashign the boards"

Not sure if we will keep him, but man I really like him as a coach.

Kinda intrigues me how tried to JOB he is, an how tied NBA assistant coaches are to a NBA head coach

shags
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

Best game: Bulls-Pacers

Surprise: Hornets beating the Lakers

Best individual: Chris Paul

Worse than I thought: Carlos Boozer

Star player not shining: Pau Gasol

Other thoughts: Many surprise performances for me. How about Tyler Hansbrough, Thaddeus Young, Kirk Hinrich, Jason Kidd, Shane Battier, Aaron Gray, and Jermaine O'Neal.

Spurs may be in big trouble if Ginobili doesn't play.
Thought the biggest difference in the Hawks - Magic game was the Hawks offense.
Bulls need Boozer to step up, or they're basically the Cavs from the last 2 seasons.
Knicks blew a big time opportunity.

Cactus Jax
04-18-2011, 08:33 PM
what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

1) Nuggets vs Thunder was best overall game from start to finish, unfortunately the goaltending non-call hurt the game.

2) I thought the playoff first round was going to be mostly blowout rounds (and still may be) but every game was competitive outside of the Hawks/Magic game, and 45 minutes of the Bulls/Pacers game, really if the Pacers had held on to win it would have been one of the boring games of the weekend.

3) Chris Paul would be the easy answer, but to me it was Randolph/Gasol combo of Memphis that surprised me the most, just how effective they were in the paint.

4) Who is worse, hmm there's a lot of answers but the supporting casts of the Bulls/Magic/Lakers were all very dissapointing.

5) Since most of the stars shined in the first game, I'll say Dwyane Wade, as again Kobe is the easy answer though he still had 35 points.

Scot Pollard
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
The Mavericks and Trail Blazers was fun to watch.

Eddie Gill
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Best Game: Hornets/Lakers (mostly bc I hate LA and my roommate is a Lakers fan)

Biggest surprise: Lakers playing like zombies. Honorable mention goes to Z Bo.

Best individual day: Kevin Durant

Worse than expected: San Antonio's defense

Star that didn't shine: Pau Gasol

Random thoughts: This weekend kind of had that first round NCAA tournament feel to it.

MarvelousMarvin
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
The only game I didn't watch was the first half of the Heat vs. 76ers because I was so upset about or game.

Best Game: Hornets/Lakers watching CP3 playing like that is sooooo fun.

Biggest surprise: Jason Kidd being able to shoot the ball.

Best individual day: CP3

Worse than expected: Hedo, J-Rich, Gilbert not showing up for game 1.

Star that didn't shine: Pau Gasol, wow he was bad.

Random thoughts: CP3 is still the best point guard, Kobe and Gasol need to hug each other or something it seems like they have a major love hate relationship.