PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd has a new nickname: CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Kstat
10-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Jason Kidd dreams of being traded, though he hasn't asked the New Jersey Nets to find him a new home.

Jason Kidd
Point Guard
New Jersey Nets

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
67 15.5 6.4 9.2 .384 .827

"Do I desire to be traded? No, I don't think so," Kidd said Monday, breaking a summerlong public silence and offering his first comments on the trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles.

Contradicting himself at times, Kidd often sounded like someone who wouldn't mind being traded but didn't want to admit it. He also wouldn't say when he expects to return from offseason surgery on his left knee, indicating he'll be cautious in his recovery.

A likely scenario would have Kidd returning sometime before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, giving other teams an opportunity to gauge whether one of the game's best point guards is still capable of playing at his usual level under a contract that will pay him $90 million over the next five years.

The Nets will use Travis Best, Jacque Vaughn and Zoran Plananic at point guard until Kidd is ready to return. Optimism for the upcoming season was in short supply at media day for a team that made it to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 before losing to the eventual champion Detroit Pistons in the second round of the playoffs last season.

The Nets changed ownership groups over the summer, and incoming boss Bruce Ratner was behind the cost-cutting moves that sent Martin to the Denver Nuggets for three first-round draft picks, and Kittles to the Los Angeles Clippers for a second-round pick.

"We know we're not going to win a championship this year or next year, not with the caliber of guys we have now," said Kidd, who spurned a free agent offer from the San Antonio Spurs two summers ago and signed a six-year deal to remain with New Jersey.

"What can I do? I'm an employee. You can be a disgruntled employee or a happy employee, and I'm choosing to be a happy employee," Kidd said, adding that his family is happy living in New Jersey and he has enjoyed his three years playing on the East Coast.

"Sometimes things just don't go the way you foresee it or dream about. You get a bad set of cards, you have to play the hand out because you never know what will happen," Kidd said. "These are cards we've been dealt, so we'll see what we can make out of it."

The Nets also traded away their first-round draft pick and elected not to re-sign key reserves Lucious Harris and Rodney Rogers, though they did lock up small forward Richard Jefferson with a long-term extension.

Nets coach Lawrence Frank said the starting spots at point guard, shooting guard and power forward are open, with journeymen Rodney Buford, Eric Williams, Ron Mercer, Vaughn and Best among those vying for them.

"I can understand from a fan's perspective, with the loss of not just Kenyon, but other guys who contributed a great deal, where there could be some cynicism and pessimism," Frank said.

One reason for hope is the return of Alonzo Mourning after a kidney transplant, although Mourning couldn't hide his scorn for those in the Nets organization who tried to publicly dissuade him from attempting a comeback.

Alonzo Mourning
Center
New Jersey Nets

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
12 8.0 2.3 0.7 .465 .882

Although Mourning wasn't exactly enthralled by the team's offseason moves, he is eager to attempt a return to the game that provided him with his livelihood until a rare kidney disorder first sidelined him in 2000.

Mourning signed a four-year contract with the Nets before last season, then abruptly left the team when doctors advised him he needed a transplant. Mourning has said his doctors told him there was "no risk" in attempting a comeback, so he decided to give it a shot despite his dismay at what has become of the Nets.

"I'm very disappointed, very much so. The reason why I came here was to win and to play with a great point guard, and both of those factors are in question right now," Mourning said. "They've taken a huge step backward from where they were. I look at the decisions made, and I'm baffled by it."

Kstat
10-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Among Kidd's next astonishing revelations will be: "I can't shoot," "My coach looks like Doogie Howser," and "the sky is blue today."

Cactus Jax
10-05-2004, 08:59 AM
I actually find him as surprisingly honest here, but also pointing out the obvious.

Hicks
10-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Was he supposed to look like a moron and say that he thought they were good?

That was more my thinking as well. I like the honesty; he's not pretending the Nets are something that they're not.

MagicRat
10-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I prefer Mr. Obvious to Captain Obvious.

Sounds like a critter...RARARRARARARRRARRARARRR