PDA

View Full Version : zach randolph and Memphis agree to Extension

itzryan07
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard
"Grizzlies and Zach Randolph agree to 4-year, $71 million contract extension, according to league sources."

BringJackBack
04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
MOTHER****ING TITS IN MY ***! We could have offered his fat *** more than that..

Smh.

ballism
04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Yuck. Well, for Memphis fans sake, lets hope he keeps behaving, because that's pretty much what Pau Gasol makes.

ballism
04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
MOTHER****ING TITS IN MY ***! We could have offered his fat *** more than that..

Smh.

71 mil in 4 years? Depends on CBA, but not likely. Even under current CBA, we can't offer that salary - only an additional year at lower price. New CBA, salaries and # of years might even go down.
Sure, there's sign and trade possibilities, but honestly, he made a very wise decision here.

King Tuts Tomb
04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
He earned it.

DemonHunter1105
04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't know who we will end up getting this summer, but I am not really worried about it. Most of our core guys are still under contract and it would be hard to replace players like TJ and Solo with anyone worse.

I hope we can pull some kind of lopsided trade for a young decent player again. If that doesn't happen, we are still way under the cap and shouldn't produce a record any worse than this year's.

vnzla81
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Good luck with that Memphis, thank you.

pacer4ever
04-17-2011, 08:33 PM
17.75 million per damm

xBulletproof
04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you Memphis.

You saved me from reading 500 threads about a bad idea this summer.

Dr. Hibbert
04-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Damn. Oh well, not as if Indiana was going to get a #1 option this summer even if he was available. Best to concern themselves with developing their young core, figuring out what Dunleavy's worth in terms of an offer, and exploring some depth possibilities at SG, PF and C.

Psyren
04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I've always thought we'll acquire our players via trades this offseason anyways.

Plus, it saves us the "OMGGG BAD IDEAAAAAAAAA" threads. Have fun with that, ZBO. Best of luck.

Scot Pollard
04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh man.

Did you guys see how much they signed Gay too and now Randolph.

Outside of them, they don't have too many big deals and it's well worth keeping this group of guys together.

Dr. Hibbert
04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I've always thought we'll acquire our players via trades this offseason anyways.

Plus, it saves us the "OMGGG BAD IDEAAAAAAAAA" threads. Have fun with that, ZBO. Best of luck.

Any specific targets in mind? Iggy?

Scot Pollard
04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
17.75 million per damm

Talk about a nice living there and living in Memphis, TN getting a good rack of ribs.

vnzla81
04-17-2011, 08:48 PM
They are pretty much saying good bye to Gasol with this and nope Gasol can't play PF with Roy.

itzryan07
04-17-2011, 08:55 PM
i rather get a star player via trade.

ballism
04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
They are pretty much saying good bye to Gasol with this and nope Gasol can't play PF with Roy.

Why? They could still match Gasol for up to ~17 mil starting salary and still be under luxury, with current CBA. The number will go down (probably) next year, but they are fine. That's why they got rid of Thabeet.

CooperManning
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Why? They could still match Gasol for up to ~17 mil starting salary and still be under luxury, with current CBA. The number will go down (probably) next year, but they are fine. That's why they got rid of Thabeet.

And they're not afraid to trade Mayo's 5.6 mil contract for picks either.

I'll be very surprised if Gasol isn't a Grizzly next season.

NapTonius Monk
04-17-2011, 09:26 PM
And they're not afraid to trade Mayo's 5.6 mil contract for picks either.

I'll be very surprised if Gasol isn't a Grizzly next season.Kind of hoping we're the recipient of Mr. Mayo.

JEM
04-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Looks like Tyler will be the starter next year at this point in time.

CableKC
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Kind of hoping we're the recipient of Mr. Mayo.
Mayo is owed $5.6 mil guaranteed next season. Gasol can still be signed and matched but moving Mayo without taking anything back is something that the Grizzlies will likely look for. I wouldn't offer anything more then a 2nd round pick for Mayo if the Griz want to stay under the LT and re-sign Gasol.

itzryan07
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Kind of hoping we're the recipient of Mr. Mayo.

yea, he played great today. Gave them a spark off the bench, but he is a Starter and should be

Pacerized
04-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm glad he's off the market he wasn't the guy I wanted us spending all of our cap space on. If the hard cap gets put in place and it's below the current LT, I hope we make a bid for Gasol. He could definitely play beside Roy. You wouldn't have to pair them together for more then 10 min. during which time we'd have a mismatch in our favor in the paint.
Of course if the CBA goes in that direction we'll have a lot more to consider then Gasol.

righteouscool
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Mayo is owed $5.6 mil guaranteed next season. Gasol can still be signed and matched but moving Mayo without taking anything back is something that the Grizzlies will likely look for. I wouldn't offer anything more then a 2nd round pick for Mayo if the Griz want to stay under the LT and re-sign Gasol.

This is my dream scenario. Get good young players through trades from teams desperate to shed salary. Sign cheap veterans for depth. Hold onto the cap space another year until you can see how good this core could be without overpaying someone.

Ramitt
04-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't offer anything more then a 2nd round pick for Mayo if the Griz want to stay under the LT and re-sign Gasol.

That sounds great, but isn't someone with a better 2nd or low 1st like to trump that?

KingGeorge
04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Looks like Randolph is now making the same amount of money as Dwight Howard now?! :confused::-o:laugh:

LA_Confidential
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
That sounds great, but isn't someone with a better 2nd or low 1st like to trump that?

Im sure the Grizzlies arent the only team that will be looking to dump salary in what I like to call "Beasley Deals". Mayo would be a perfect fit though.

King Tuts Tomb
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
This is great news for the Pacers. The more they spend on their core guys (ZBO, Gay, Conley) the less they have to spend on other quality talent like OJ Mayo and Marc Gasol. Heisley is a notoriously cheap owner, who knows if he's gonna pay up to keep this team together.

Jared Sullinger
04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Randolph is an absolute beast and he's earned his fat payday.

CableKC
04-18-2011, 12:10 AM
What lottery team has a need for a $5.4 mil guard that is also under the Salary cap while sending back nothing?

graphic-er
04-18-2011, 12:20 AM
What lottery team has a need for a $5.4 mil guard that is also under the Salary cap while sending back nothing?

Don't count out one of the 15 playoff teams that don't win a championship this year. They have a tendency to come in and somehow steal young promising players way from bad teams in effort to reload. Luxury tax does not matter to them.

PacersHomer
04-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Now he'll shut down because he got paid.

CableKC
04-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Don't count out one of the 15 playoff teams that don't win a championship this year. They have a tendency to come in and somehow steal young promising players way from bad teams in effort to reload. Luxury tax does not matter to them.
Let's be clear here, the Grizzlies will likely not want to take back any salary in any trade for Mayo if they want to re-sign Gasol without going over the LT. This means that they heave to find a team that is under the Salary Cap that is interested in taking on a SG that is owed $5.4+ mil without sending back any salary......not that many Teams can offer that..much less a playoff team that will be under the salary cap ( note - there aren't any that are ). The only Team that may be interested ( other then us ) is the Nets but I dont see them adding too much salary if they hope to make a run at Dwight next season.

Doddage
04-18-2011, 01:12 AM
I'd be happy to give our 1st this year for Mayo. He's better than anyone we can get at our pick, imo.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 01:14 AM
This is great news for the Pacers. The more they spend on their core guys (ZBO, Gay, Conley) the less they have to spend on other quality talent like OJ Mayo and Marc Gasol. Heisley is a notoriously cheap owner, who knows if he's gonna pay up to keep this team together.

They wouldn't spend to keep Randolph is they were going to let his buddy walk, and who cares what they do with Mayo? He's easily replaceable. They already tried to unload him for Josh freaking McRoberts.

CableKC
04-18-2011, 01:24 AM
I'd be happy to give our 1st this year for Mayo. He's better than anyone we can get at our pick, imo.
I guess the question is what the Griz are looking for and whether the Pacers are one of the few that can make pay that price without giving too much in return.

King Tuts Tomb
04-18-2011, 01:54 AM
They wouldn't spend to keep Randolph is they were going to let his buddy walk, and who cares what they do with Mayo? He's easily replaceable. They already tried to unload him for Josh freaking McRoberts.

-They tried to trade Mayo for McRoberts, Brandon Rush and a first round pick. Better players have been traded for less.

-You're clearly not a fan of Mayo but I'd take him for that. At five and a half million a year I'd love to get a solid player at our weakest position.

-Michael Heisley is cheap. There's no guarantee he re-signs anyone until it's done.

-Say they re-sign Randolph, Battier and Gasol based on this year's playoff success. If they start next season slowly I can see Heisley losing patience and blowing it up. There's a couple guys on that team I wouldn't mind snagging if we're under the cap.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 02:20 AM
2 backups and a mid-1st in a very weak draft. Worse players have been traded for more.

You're basing this hope on a guy that's spent $200 million on 3 players in the last 9 months suddenly deciding to be cheap.

I hear $250 million is when the cheap gene starts to kick in, so they should get Gasol to stick around.

King Tuts Tomb
04-18-2011, 02:29 AM
2 backups and a mid-1st in a very weak draft. Worse players have been traded for more.

Yep. And like I said, better players have been traded for less. Basing a player's worth on who they're traded for is a poor way to judge talent.

You're basing this hope on a guy that's spent $200 million on 3 players in the last 9 months suddenly deciding to be cheap.

I hear $250 million is when the cheap gene starts to kick in, so they should get Gasol to stick around.

Once that luxury tax kicks in and the losses start piling up we'll see if he's still so keen on spending. I'd bet no but I've been wrong before.

Psyren
04-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Any specific targets in mind? Iggy?

To be honest with you, I'm not sure who I have in mind.

I just don't think this FA market is strong enough for us to warrant us signing anybody (well, maybe a role player)

I just think "that guy" will come via trade. Just a hunch though.

Gremz
04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
It's a good move by Memphis, but the overall cost of the contract is a bit dangerous.

Considering all the future salary that's locked up, if someone were to offer Gasol an overpriced deal they're gonna be in a very tough position.

That being said, glad we don't have to endure the media attaching Randolph to Indiana all off season.

Justin Tyme
04-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Then you really aren't interested in acquiring Mayo either.

Justin Tyme
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Im sure the Grizzlies arent the only team that will be looking to dump salary in what I like to call "Beasley Deals". Mayo would be a perfect fit though.

Only if Tony "The Enforcer" Allen comes along too.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
there's no such thing as a really dangerous 4-year contract.

Shade
04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
For that kind of money, I'd at least try to lure a superstar instead.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
superstars cost more than $71 million.

Zach Randolph is one of only five 20/10 players in the NBA. The other four are Deron Williams, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love and Dwight Howard. Every one of those guys will demand $90-100+ million contracts.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 02:19 PM

yep at least 30m more dollars more

CableKC
04-18-2011, 04:09 PM
there's no such thing as a really dangerous 4-year contract.
Troy Murphy's contract extension begs to differ....

MyFavMartin
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Would Memphis be more apt to demand and get at least a future 1st rounder for Mayo?

Kstat
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM

point taken.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
This deal is great for the Grizzles compared to the Joe Johnson deal for the Hawks.

pacer4ever
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM

There are many more examples also.

Heisenberg
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
This deal is great for the Grizzles compared to the Joe Johnson deal for the Hawks.
Us signing Trey Murph to a a $10 mil a year deal this summer is better than the Joe Johnson deal.

ballism
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I think this is a bit too much - he'll be a top 10 or even top 5 payed player most of those years. And he's not at that level. And he has troubled history. They'd probably save a lot of money, if they waited for new CBA.

But sometimes, you want to show the love I guess, and that's what Memphis did with Z-Bo, and Conley before that. It isn't a disastrous deal, unless Z-Bo goes back to Knicks mode.

It also probably gets them stuck as a 42-48 win team, like Hawks. But for Grizzlies, that's a great achievement, so...

vnzla81
04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Us signing Trey Murph to a a $10 mil a year deal this summer is better than the Joe Johnson deal.

Let's not go crazy now, JJ is maybe overpay but the guy is clutch.

Jared Sullinger
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
It's 4/$66M ($16.5M per) with incentives that could increase it to 4/$71M ($17.75M per).

That seems a bit too much to me. I'd rank Randolph somewhere between Al Jefferson ($14M per) and Boozer ($15M per), so something around $14.5M seemed fair to me.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
he's unrestricted. If they waited they could have lost him.

xBulletproof
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
he's unrestricted. If they waited they could have lost him.

They also could have saved a boat load of cash waiting until after the new CBA. If the cap comes down that contract could be much worse looking after that.

ballism
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
It's very unlikely another team could offer anything close to 66 mil guaranteed under new CBA, without Bird rights.
So, yeah, he could leave. More likely - they save a ton and still outbid everyone.

This is all about showing Randolph that he's the cornerstone. And they are happy with status quo. Other than that, a flawed decision. More ambitious teams wouldn't do it.

Scot Pollard
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Where do you guys think he'll sign this offseason?

He seems to have no value now.

ballism
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Where do you guys think he'll sign this offseason?

He seems to have no value now.

Barcelona.
Nice weather, good food, great fans, good money, and they'll need a big if we bring Erazem Lorbek over (his contract finally allows to leave for NBA this summer).

shags
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Barcelona.
Nice weather, good food, great fans, good money, and they'll need a big if we bring Erazem Lorbek over (his contract finally allows to leave for NBA this summer).

There it is.

I don't think Murphy would even be on the Celtics playoff roster if Shaq was healthy.

Shade
04-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Zach Randolph is one of only five 20/10 players in the NBA. The other four are Deron Williams, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love and Dwight Howard. Every one of those guys will demand $90-100+ million contracts.

Clarification: I would put that money towards an offer for a superstar instead.

Kstat
04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
towards? They don't have layaway in the NBA.

Smoothdave1
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I wonder how much Zach will actually see of this contract? I wonder if Heisley gave him the deal knowing that a lockout will likely occur and I could see contracts being rolled or scaled back in some capacity. Maybe he knows that he will give him the deal, the NBA has a lockout and he doesn't have to pay out the huge contract and then somehow scales back the contract to say 10-12 mil a year? The same applies for guys like Amare, Melo, Joe Johnson, etc. who all signed the big deals within the last year.

Justin Tyme
04-18-2011, 09:36 PM
They also could have saved a boat load of cash waiting until after the new CBA. If the cap comes down that contract could be much worse looking after that.

AND they have NO guarantee he'd re-sign with them either. He could take his services elsewhere as a UFA. This way they kept in the fold.

Justin Tyme
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I wonder how much Zach will actually see of this contract? I wonder if Heisley gave him the deal knowing that a lockout will likely occur and I could see contracts being rolled or scaled back in some capacity. Maybe he knows that he will give him the deal, the NBA has a lockout and he doesn't have to pay out the huge contract and then somehow scales back the contract to say 10-12 mil a year? The same applies for guys like Amare, Melo, Joe Johnson, etc. who all signed the big deals within the last year.

Posters haven't been taking the lockout seriously or even considering it as happening until late. Some still aren't. You make excellent points.

Smoothdave1
04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Posters haven't been taking the lockout seriously or even considering it as happening until late. Some still aren't. You make excellent points.

I think the NBA will definitely have a lockout. I would be more surprised if they played than if they didn't at this point. The owners are claiming too many teams are losing money and I think lower salaries, smaller contracts and a possible hard cap are all forthcoming.

Eleazar
04-18-2011, 10:12 PM

No fans take lockouts seriously until the season is over. For most fans it is too far away to care when there is still basketball going on.

Justin Tyme
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
No fans take lockouts seriously until the season is over. For most fans it is too far away to care when there is still basketball going on.

That's the reason I have a problem taking many fans/posters seriously. It's in front of them, and they'd rather ignore the lockout possibility even exists. I've been expounding on it for a year now. There WILL be a lockout, plain and simple! Many had better get use to the idea it's coming, and the importance it's going to play.

xBulletproof
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
AND they have NO guarantee he'd re-sign with them either. He could take his services elsewhere as a UFA. This way they kept in the fold.

.... that's the same comment that I quoted to which you quoted me and replied with the same comment I was already commenting on ....

Is this where I repeat myself again? :laugh:

Eleazar
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
That's the reason I have a problem taking many fans/posters seriously. It's in front of them, and they'd rather ignore the lockout possibility even exists. I've been expounding on it for a year now. There WILL be a lockout, plain and simple! Many had better get use to the idea it's coming, and the importance it's going to play.

Who cares if there is a lock out we still have college. If anything it might help promote the league as a whole to improve the way they do things so we get a better brand of basketball.

pizza guy
04-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Good luck with that Memphis, thank you.

I'm skipping the bulk of this thread and quoting this post because it's all that I need to see or say about this situation. Now I don't have to worry about Randolph coming here or the million threads this offseason discussing his game or personal life/history. Saves me the headache. :buddies:

ballism
04-19-2011, 06:30 AM

I think that everything Heisley did this year was new CBA related. I think Heisley wouldn't give 200 mil+ to Gay,Conley and Zach (and soon Gasol) unless he saw major changes coming - revenue sharing, etc.

That said, it changes nothing. Salary rollback is far from certain - in fact, I'd think it's one of the most unlikely items on the owners' list. It still makes much more sense to wait for new CBA and sign a player then - unless you want to show loyalty.