PDA

View Full Version : I'm not against putting Solomon Jones in there....

Foul on Smits
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
For 1 minute. And when Derek Rose comes barreling down the lane, knowing hes getting the call no matter what, knock the ever.****ing **** out of him. I'm talking about a hit that could start a Chicago riot. Cause we have no chance as things are. Make him feel every single foul.

smj887
04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm all for getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to fouls, but I've never liked the idea of putting a hit out on someone like that.

Kid Minneapolis
04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Eh no.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't want to hurt Rose, but I want to make him think twice about going into the paint.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 11:10 PM
This is not the time to be playing around with rotations.

PG Collison/Price
SG George/Rush
SF Granger/Dunleavy
PF Hansbrough/McRoberts
C Hibbert/Foster

...That's what we're going with and quite frankly it's our best and almost got us a win today.

Day-V
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't want to hurt Rose, but I want to make him think twice about going into the paint.

I wouldn't consider it "hurting" Rose. Just making a statement.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Why have about half of the posts since the game ended advocated something along the lines of putting Rose on the floor with hard fouls. How about we come up with a plan to defend him without fouling. Bring a double team before he gets into the lane

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 11:18 PM
All that Solo would do is give up an and-1, leave his man to half commit to another guy, commit stupid fouls, take 2-3 stupid mid range prayers, miss a couple of rebounds, turn the ball over, and set some illegal screens. He doesn't deserve to sniff the court right now. Not even to foul Rose; he wouldn't even foul him hard enough.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Why have about half of the posts since the game ended advocated something along the lines of putting Rose on the floor with hard fouls. How about we come up with a plan to defend him without fouling. Bring a double team before he gets into the lane

Because he'll get the call anyway. It's just physical basketball. He gets into the lane..you foul him hard enough that he has to think about coming into the lane again...(and maybe get a few reactionary techs from his teammates..:laugh:)

idioteque
04-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I thought once you were in the playoffs you couldn't take guys off of IR?

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM

He's already complaining that we fouled him too hard today!

Blood in the water.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Because he'll get the call anyway. It's just physical basketball. He gets into the lane..you foul him hard enough that he has to think about coming into the lane again...(and maybe get a few reactionary techs from his teammates..:laugh:)

No you come up with a gameplan to keep Rose from getting into the lane. The team that does that the best will beat the Bulls in these playoffs

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
He's already complaining that we fouled him too hard today!

Blood in the water.

I watched his post game press conference and he said he was fine with the fouls and he said they weren't really that hard

Foul on Smits
04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Rose is getting foul calls regardless. May as well make them count. I'm not saying to mess with the rotation. But I dunno, maybe have josh lay him out.

The hard fouls are in his head. He said something about it in the post game interview.

Foul on Smits
04-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I watched his post game press conference and he said he was fine with the fouls and he said they weren't really that hard

Not what he said to rick buchanon

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Rose is getting foul calls regardless. May as well make them count. I'm not saying to mess with the rotation. But I dunno, maybe have josh lay him out.

The hard fouls are in his head. He said something about it in the post game interview.

if you watch the post game presser the fouls are not in his head.

Foul on Smits
04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
if you watch the post game presser the fouls are not in his head.

He literally said before he left the court... " they're fouling me hard man ". I don't even think Buchanon asked him about it. I think its in his head.

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I have no problem with hard fouls, but I would rather we not foul and defend the guy, that is what you have to do to beat the Bulls. Hard fouling isn't the answer, he is not going to stop going into the lane.

pwee31
04-17-2011, 12:14 AM
No need to put a "Goon" in to try a take out another team's opposing player.

Just man up.

After watching the game again, you really have to try to make Rose go left, and use his left hand. He constantly crosses over, or spins back to get to the right and his right hand.

I know he's stupid fast and stupid strong, that it's easier said than done, but you have to make an effort to force him left, and live with what he does going left.

Don't let him spin and get back right

Deadshot
04-17-2011, 12:22 AM

I would still like to see us try some kind of a press. Its funny to me how many people in a previous thread said we couldn't stop Rose so we might as well not focus so much on him. I think he has made it very clear that he will come in and control the end of the game, so we need to focus specifically on him. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but we need to continue to be physical with him.

Sookie
04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
I have no problem with hard fouls, but I would rather we not foul and defend the guy, that is what you have to do to beat the Bulls. Hard fouling isn't the answer, he is not going to stop going into the lane.

It's not the answer, however, if he gets into the paint with the ball..the whistle is going to blow.

So..if they are going to call the foul anyway....

Evan_The_Dude
04-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Why don't we work more on denying him the ball? We're having a hard time stopping him with the ball, so why not make him work twice as hard to get it?

Gold
04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Why don't we work more on denying him the ball? We're having a hard time stopping him with the ball, so why not make him work twice as hard to get it?

Because he's a point guard. lol.

Evan_The_Dude
04-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Because he's a point guard. lol.

I know that. Pressure him in the full court.

jeffg-body
04-17-2011, 02:08 AM
I didn't see anything malicious about our fouling on rose throughout the game, even when he started getting favorable calls where if the wind hit him he was on the line. Those were good playoff caliber fouls. He's lucky Karl Malone wasn't out there because he would have shown rose a real playoff foul.

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
He literally said before he left the court... " they're fouling me hard man ". I don't even think Buchanon asked him about it. I think its in his head.

I just watched the interview right after the game three times and I didn't hear him mention the fouls

PacerDude
04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Everybody - the mediots, current players, ex-players - talks about 'playoff fouls'. It's a nice dream to defend Rose to take him out of his game, but how successful has ANYONE been this season actually doing that ?? I'm in total agreement - the only way you take him out of his game is mentally. And a few 'playoff fouls' would be a good start to that. (thinking of Dale & Antonio .................)

beast23
04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I really don't care if its in his head or not. It doesn't matter.

The question is "How do you beat the Bulls if Rose is allowed to get to the rim and/or receive the benefit of the foul calls?"

First off, as Buck says, we must prevent Rose from getting into the paint. If Rose is going to beat us, we must force it to be through perimeter shots, or even mid-range shots or assists rather than scores at the rim. And that means that he must be double-teamed by a couple of our quicker, better defenders.

How do you beat the Bulls? Secondly, Noah isn't worth nearly as much to you beat him down the court to the rim to prevent his easy baskets on breaks and if you can block him off the boards. If he does beat you down the court, put him on the line rather than allow him the dunk. So far, we are doing an admirable job on Boozer, he isn't the problem... yet.

But... if Rose gets through our double-team and our big men and it is established that our big men are not going to get the benefit of being able to jump straight up and down to contend the shot and are going to have fouls called on them under such circumstances, then you put Rose on the deck. Hard. Very, very, very effing hard.

It's the playoffs. It is certainly time for good solid basketball. But it's also time for the men to be men and for the boys to stay home.

Even if you don't or can't get into his head, you can make him so bruised that he knows he will have to earn every inch he gets.

PacersHomer
04-17-2011, 11:42 AM
If he's going to shoot 20 free throws a game, might as well punish him 10 times. If you're gonna foul, foul hard. Don't need to send Solo in there though. Just rough them up a bit. They get to the basket. They are going to shoot free throws. Don't be a pussy and knock them on their ***.

Foul on Smits
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I just watched the interview right after the game three times and I didn't hear him mention the fouls

I'm absolutely positive he says " fouling me hard.... BUT I'm gunna keep playing. My teammates told me to keep going to the basket.".

Something to that extent. I'm not making this up. Right before he leaves the court. It was the ric bucher interview.

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm absolutely positive he says " fouling me hard.... BUT I'm gunna keep playing. My teammates told me to keep going to the basket.".

Something to that extent. I'm not making this up. Right before he leaves the court. It was the ric bucher interview.

I watched it three times suppose I could watch it a fourth

pacer4ever
04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

because its impossible to stop Drose he couldnt make a 3pter today and still dropped 37

Thoreau87
04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
because its impossible to stop Drose he couldnt make a 3pter today and still dropped 37

39... Forget the three, he did it basically w/o hitting a single jumper.

pacer4ever
04-17-2011, 01:35 PM

ya he is unreal

Foul on Smits
04-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I watched it three times suppose I could watch it a fourth

I'm sorry. I'm not drawing you a map. Its been on tv a hundred times. Its on youtube. I just watched it

Lets just forget about it.

Foul on Smits
04-17-2011, 01:48 PM

He also did it with 21 free throws, but who's keeping track right?

Thoreau87
04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
ya he is unreal

Just checked the shot chart. He made one 19 foot jump shot, two baseline floaters, and everything else in the painted area (and FTs).

My :twocents:... I know D Rose is a beast, but plain and simple, we need to protect the paint MUCH better. The last thing I want is Roy in foul trouble, but he needs to MIGHTILY step up his intensity if we expect to win. Dwight Howard is notorious for laying Rose out once a game with a hard foul. Send a message big fella.

Idk, maybe Solo rattles his cage. Someones got to do it.

Peck
04-17-2011, 02:13 PM
A couple of things.

1. Solomon Jones is not now and has never been an enforcer. He would probably attempt to lay a hard foul on Rose and end up on his butt himself.

2. What a crappy thing to do to a basketball player. Sorry your not good enough to even play token min. for our club to end the season but we want you to come in now and attempt to lay out the leading MVP candidate while you are on your ending contract.

3. Since he is on the end of his contract I'm sure he would be all over this, in particular since the club asking him to do this has made it clear they don't want him here.

Yes, I know someone is going to say that Solomon won't get another contract & you might be correct, but if you were him would you want to make 100% certain that you would not get a contract by being the "dirty" player.

BlueNGold
04-17-2011, 02:15 PM

I don't advocate dirty play, but the reason this is coming up is because it is the only thing that would actually work. Not sayin' you should do it.

Of course, they could turn around and do the same thing to Tyler or Granger. How would a Pacer fan feel about that?

Fact is, we just need to get better or shaddup.

Thoreau87
04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
A couple of things.

1. Solomon Jones is not now and has never been an enforcer. He would probably attempt to lay a hard foul on Rose and end up on his butt himself.

2. What a crappy thing to do to a basketball player. Sorry your not good enough to even play token min. for our club to end the season but we want you to come in now and attempt to lay out the leading MVP candidate while you are on your ending contract.

3. Since he is on the end of his contract I'm sure he would be all over this, in particular since the club asking him to do this has made it clear they don't want him here.

Yes, I know someone is going to say that Solomon won't get another contract & you might be correct, but if you were him would you want to make 100% certain that you would not get a contract by being the "dirty" player.

1. Agreed. I would ask a big in our rotation to lay a hard foul.

2. Sorry but it's hard for me to feel crappy for basketball players. They get paid ridiculous money to play with a ball in front of millions of people each year (live and TV). Pretty sure these guys want and expect to win and will contribute to the cause when called upon. Why else are we paying them? Certainly not to be afraid to lay a good hard foul on an opposing player.

An occasional hard foul doesn't make you a dirty player. Meet a man chest to chest and knock him back the other way. No elbows. No contact above the shoulders. Just a good hard foul that shakes him up subconsciously due to the unexpectedness of contact they're not accustomed to. Put him on tilt.

sportfireman
04-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I understand what you're saying...but nothing malicious or trying to hurt him. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing and old school Davis brothers foul.

NapTonius Monk
04-17-2011, 09:17 PM
I understand what you're saying...but nothing malicious or trying to hurt him. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing and old school Davis brothers foul.But the Davis boys never played the 'goon' role. There were hard fouls, to be sure. But they were also legit defenders. We may need to employ the 'Let Rose get his, and shut down everyone else' defense.

imawhat
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I against putting Solomon Jones out there. We don't need to intentionally hurt someone.

DaveP63
04-18-2011, 08:51 AM
You don't try to hurt a player. The intent is to send them to the foul line with a numb arm and tingly fingers...

Sookie
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Being Physical with a player, even to the point of "beating them up" is not dirty.

Jeez, that's how every single team in women's college basketball has played against the Huskies for years. (And by years, I mean like..8) I remember teams purposley elbowing Taurasi in the back, knowing full well she had a fracture in her back. And I remember the technique of "running Candace Parker off of screens until there are tears in her eyes" (her arm had come out of its socket earlier that game.) and with Maya..everyone knew she hated physical play, so they practically beat her up. (which, it seems pretty obvious Rose doesn't like it either)

If women's college players can handle it, players in the NBA can handle it too. Being physical with the other team's best player is just part of the game. It's not dirty. Dirty is going after someone's head. Dirty is hitting someone after the whistle. Dirty is trying to take a guy, literally out of the game.

It isn't making sure a guy is hit hard enough on his way to the basket that they think about driving back in the lane, or that the physical play gets him frustrated and takes him out of his element. (And we've got plenty of guys to guard him, in case of foul trouble)

But I'm in agreement with others, Solo isn't the guy to do that. Guys in the rotation need to step up and not let Rose run all over them. I'd start with "Rose doesn't get a +1 this game." Aka, foul him hard enough that he doesn't make the basket.

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Let's just play basketball and give him some hard fouls.

I don't want to see the kid hurt, even if he is being mentioned as the apparently ultimate example of winning spirit in this league before he's even won a playoff series.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Let's just play basketball and give him some hard fouls.

I don't want to see the kid hurt, even if he is being mentioned as the apparently ultimate example of winning spirit in this league before he's even won a playoff series.

I've never seen Solo as the "enforcer" type. Posey is more of an enforcer than Solo is.

I don't want the guy hurt, but I want him to remember playing the Indiana Pacers.

Trader Joe
04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Foster et. al. can handle that. We were already getting under his skin in game 1.

BPump33
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Foster et. al. can handle that. We were already getting under his skin in game 1.

I agree. Just pointing out that I don't think Solomon Jones strikes fear in anyone.