PDA

View Full Version : Pacers/Bulls playoffs postgame thread

Pages : [1] 2

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Amazing game, we had a chance to win the game, too bad the MVP is on the other team, we have to be proud of our guys and let's not forget

NOBODY WANT'S TO PLAY TYLER HANSBROUGH

GO PACERS :dance:

gummy
04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I think it was fairly predictable for our young guys to lose the game in the last couple of minutes in their first playoff game on the road. It still hurts like hell though.

I know some folks are gonna rip apart our players and screech "trade player x!" but I am proud of our guys and Coach V, I really am. They are not going to throw rose petals at the feet of the Bulls on their way to the coronation, they are going to fight and that's all I ask for from David when he's up against Goliath.

I wish the next game was tomorrow!

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Here is the Tyler Hansbrough steal and Dunk on Boozer by the way

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J9uT9J2xPNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Great, great game. How can anyone be upset. The pacers played great, didn't show any nerves the whole game. Outstanding job by the pacers coaching staff

idioteque
04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm also incredibly proud of our team. If they play like this the whole series, I don't care what the final outcome in terms of games is, this team will be seen as a competitive one in the East and free agents who care more about winning than getting drunk on the beach are going to give us a look.

Great effort today. And I'm not the kind of person who ever is happy with a loss.

BillS
04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Gotta give 'em props, they played like a team well above their seeding. It was going to take a perfect game and they played almost perfect - I don't even cut down the last minute, it was the last few minutes from the bench that I think was the turnaround. When we couldn't build the lead while Rose was on the bench I figured that was the bell ringing.

On the other hand, I had expected the Pacers to be rocked on their heels by playoff intensity - instead they came out and socked it to the Bulls, who had to - as the ESPN announcer blurted out - "steal" on on their own freaking court.

Keep it up guys, and Tyler - wow, Tyler.

Trader Joe
04-16-2011, 03:56 PM
That was depressing.

Hoop
Heartbreaking, but a great effort by the blue and gold.

JEM
Should have kept feeding Hansbrough. Pacers scored 1 point the last 3 or so minutes I think and I dont even think Hansbrough touched the ball after the missed layup.

Shabazz
I was just very upset by the final couple minutes. Collison and Granger played some very selfish basketball in the final 5 or 6 possessions. Hansbrough got no touches because two of his teammates decided to absolutely dominate the ball.

45 minutes of team basketball undone by a couple minutes of selfish basketball.

gummy
04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Great, great game. How can anyone be upset. The pacers played great, didn't show any nerves the whole game. Outstanding job by the pacers coaching staff

I think they tightened up a bit once the Bulls' D went to the next level in the last minute and a half - got a little bit hesitant with the ball, probably a little bit of nerves there. But yes, great game we just didn't get it done.

Eleazar
I don't think anyone can make any good complaint about how the Pacers played. In my opinion the only mistake Vogel made was playing George at the end instead of Rush, he was doing fine but just didn't look comfortable especially on the offensive end.

It is tough to beat the Bulls when you also have to play against the refs.

yoadknux
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I think is also time for Vogel to bring DJ in place of Dunleavy, DJ has playoffs experience and knows what to do, Dun was just horrible.

judicata
Very proud of this team, but worried about the rest of the series. Hans on the P&P and Granger from 3 carried the offense in the second half. It is unrealistic to expect that kind of shooting every night.

Sadly, Pacers should expect Rose at the line 20 times a game. They need to get better on the glass and find a way to score in the paint more often to take a game from the Bulls. I think Indiana has more offensive weapons than the Bulls can handle, but I don't think they are mature enough to go to the option that the Bulls are leaving open. Granger and Collison need to play well, but not outside the system like the last 3 minutes of the game.

Unclebuck
I don't see how any Pacers fan cannot be completely impressed with their performance. Sure disappointed they lost, but oh my that was impressive and it is great the playoffs have started. This was a high caliber game

Kid Minneapolis
Young teams often don't know how to finish a game, case in point. It's crazy to think you'd be up by 10 with a few minutes left and still lose by 5. But theyre young... they don't know that they need to slow things up, defend, rebound, and make it a free-throw parade. They kept trying to score straight up and they didn't finish the defensive plays. Can't do that. Young teams do that.

I'm still proud of those guys, they thoroughly beat the pants off the Bulls for 46 minutes, and it required another stud performance by Rose to beat them. Once this team learns how to finish, they will be a very good team. It's just probly not gonna happen in this playoff series...

tora tora
Great, great game. How can anyone be upset.
I don't know, I think the 16-1 run to end the game might have something to do with it.

IUfan4life
Missed too many free throws, and Tyler missed an open lay up in the 4th that led to a fast break basket for a 4 point swing. Left too many opportunities out there. If the Pacers come out and compete in game 2 then Vogel deserves the job. With that said I expect a 20+ pt loss for the pacers game 2

Shabazz
04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Should have kept feeding Hansbrough. Pacers scored 1 point the last 3 or so minutes I think and I dont even think Hansbrough touched the ball after the missed layup.

He didn't. Granger and Collison absolutely stopped playing team basketball in the last 2 minutes and change.

I'm honestly surprised the coach didn't call a timeout to remind his team Tyler was hot, or to set up a play, or to stop the Bulls momentum.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 04:00 PM
I do want to go back and re-watch the last few minutes to see if they just went away from Tyler or if the Bulls defense didn't allow

Trophy
Heartbreaking loss, but what a great game and great effort by the Pacers. This was a team effort today and we gave it our all.

I am going to enjoy this series very much and let this be a lesson for the Bulls that they aren't going to get out of the first round without a fight.

Looking forward to an excited playoff atmosphere in Indy Thursday, hopefully like the one in Chicago, but with our own fans.

I also just lost power due to a huge storm right after the clock said 0:00 - Final. Came at a good time I guess.

Basketball Fan

I think you're mistaking disappointment with being upset. We had the game and then blew it at the end. I don't think many of us thought the Pacers would actually win Game 1 until the game actually happened and then to lose like that. Well its disappointing but I'm proud of how they played well mostly Tyler.

Granger as I've said before should not be a first option or leader for this team.

Upset was the Jets/Colts game in the playoffs that was unraveled by ST that is never fixed by management and Caldwell being brain dead and calling a timeout he shouldn't have.

pwee31
A bunch of mixed emotions right now, but I'll keep it positive and say I'm very proud how this team played and responded for 45-46 minutes.

The question is can they recover from this loss?

hoosierguy
Have I mentioned I hate Chicago- the REAL mistake by the lake?

Shabazz
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
In my opinion the only mistake Vogel made was playing George at the end instead of Rush, he was doing fine but just didn't look comfortable especially on the offensive end.

How about calling a timeout in the midst of that 16-1 run to diagram a play?

The final 5-6 possessions where Collison and Granger dominated the ball, shut out their teammates, and took bad shots were inexcusable. Vogel should not have let that happen.

Hoop
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
The Bulls are awfully sensitive big babies. You'd think they've never heard of a good hard foul.

sothenrobbiesaid
04-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Disappointed? Sure.

You know what though? Every young team starts somewhere. I don't care what happens the rest of the series, our boys KNOW they can play with the best of best and they need to keep that in mind.

As Pacer fans, we need to remember that too. Championships aren't won over night, nor are playoff series. No team has gone from nothing to something in no time flat. All teams have had their letdowns and the contenders come back hungrier the next year. Let's support our team as they continue to grow and get better.

I still expect the series to be 4-1 Bulls. Honestly, if it were 4-2, I would be ecstatic.

But, boys, we're heading in the right direction!

Go Pacers!

imawhat
That loss stung, but:

Tyler Hansbrough. I officially love him. I seriously hope he's ok and that wasn't adrenaline.

I think we outcoached the Bulls. We outcoached them.

It took an amazing game from Rose, on their homecourt, to beat us.

What a great first experience for these young guys. How they respond in game 2, when Chicago fires on all cylinders, will tell us a ton.

TMJ31
Well, I am pretty numb after that one.

Our boys played their hearts out for 46 minutes and looked poised to make the entire dynamic of this series change course, but they have the MVP and his 3 striped-amigo's.

I still can't believe what just happened, but I guess all we can do is move on and remember that we can STILL claim homecourt advantage on Monday. Hopefully after today the Bulls will have to stop a think a bit. They will see that we aren't a pushover and that they NEED A+ performances every night to beat us.

I still maintain that Rose cannot do that 7 straight games. He is going to have a couple games this series in which he falls to earth a bit and we will have an opportunity to exploit them and win some games.

The fact that we had a legitimate chance at winning today when Rose had another superstar performance just goes to show you that we have as good of a chance at pushing the Bulls to the brink as anyone.

Obviously, a devastating loss. But I am so proud of our guys, who hustled and gave their all today. It's a shame we couldn't close it out, but we can't hang our heads. Monday is a new day and a new chance to prove ourselves.

IUfan4life
Don't think Rose ever made a jump shot, and he still killed us. I think we played about as well as we are capable of. I also think after todays game, we need to try and pressure/trap Rose.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
So Proud of those guys..

Our second year PGs were very very good. DC was energetic and all over the place, and Price brings a calm confidence that is extremely mature for a second year player.

Tyler..wow Tyler. He keeps making those shots we'll win some games this series.

Danny was on fire and carried us through the third.

I thought PG played really good defense on Rose for a short period of time. That's a tough task for him though.

It was a great game, unfortunately I saw the ending coming a mile away..but they tricked me when Tyler got the and one. :P

This was probably a lesson that they have to learn.

And here's how to fix it.
First, Vogel has to call a timeout when the Bulls make a burst like that. Call the timeout before we're tied.

End of the game baskets...we seriously need something more than the Danny Iso. I think we should be trying to set up Hans and Roy. Notice those were the only two that converted on anything in the last 3 minutes. If Danny's open, give him the shot obviously..but we need some set plays in the post.

Boxing Out. We competed hard for rebound, but we also didn't do some simple fundamental things (boxing out) that would help getting rebounds. We lost this game on the glass and at the free throw line. We need to focus on getting Roy the ball and Hans the ball (to get to the line) and all of our posts need to box out.

btw: Best quote of the game, was when Vogel was telling the Players one by one why they were going to get the rebounds. He looks at Roy and tells him he's the biggest guy on the court. Looks at Tyler and tells him he'll out work his man, looks at Brandon and Danny and says they are bigger than the guys they are playing..and then looks at DC and goes.."...well..you'll get a big rebound or two too" :D Cracked me up.

Shabazz
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
I do want to go back and re-watch the last few minutes to see if they just went away from Tyler or if the Bulls defense didn't allow

Granger and Collison weren't looking to pass to anyone but each other. It had nothing to do with the Bulls defense.

I distinctly remember one possession where Granger caught the ball with Deng on his right hip, completely out of position. The smart move would be to immediately attack, draw a defender, and dish for the easy bucket to one of the bigs. Granger instead faced up and held the ball while Deng recovered defensively. He was more interested in hitting a shot in a defender's face than making the sound fundamental play.

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Danny is pretty much a veteran NBA basketball player now. He is what he is now. Still a good player, but he's not capable of stepping it up ala Reggie Miller when a playoff game is on the line. I still like Danny, but it's now time to find someone else to fill the role of franchise player...if this squad wants to advance past a first round exit.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Tyler was open but Danny decided to shoot that jumper with the defender on his face and DC went back to dribble and shoot instead of doing what was working.(pick and roll)

granger
same **** happend in newyork game which we lost 8 point lead lead in last 2min..

ball movement stop. granger eat 10 second dribling. bad shot leads easy fastbreak.

vogel, i m dissapointed.
collison, man up and demand ball.

TheColdHardTruth
Well, I am pretty numb after that one.

Our boys played their hearts out for 46 minutes and looked poised to make the entire dynamic of this series change course, but they have the MVP and his 3 striped-amigo's.

I still can't believe what just happened, but I guess all we can do is move on and remember that we can STILL claim homecourt advantage on Monday. Hopefully after today the Bulls will have to stop a think a bit. They will see that we aren't a pushover and that they NEED A+ performances every night to beat us.

I still maintain that Rose cannot do that 7 straight games. He is going to have a couple games this series in which he falls to earth a bit and we will have an opportunity to exploit them and win some games.

The fact that we had a legitimate chance at winning today when Rose had another superstar performance just goes to show you that we have as good of a chance at pushing the Bulls to the brink as anyone.

Obviously, a devastating loss. But I am so proud of our guys, who hustled and gave their all today. It's a shame we couldn't close it out, but we can't hang our heads. Monday is a new day and a new chance to prove ourselves.

Well Rose didn't play a very good game. His shot was totally off. All he has to do to get 30-plus point against the Pacers is drive into the lane and get fouled. There's no reason to believe he can't do it every game this series.

Really the thing the Pacers should be concerned about is there's no way the rest of the Bulls team will play as poorly as they did for the remainder of the series.

Pacers caught the Bulls off guard once, it won't happen twice.

InfiniteCognizance
I haven't been this mad, proud, and adrenaline filled since we were beating down the Piston fans.
I have no idea why Price stayed in so long. It's like we forgot Collison was playing better than Rose the first half and I thought was also faster than him. I swear D. Rose travels/pushes off 89 percent of the time. The guy is not MJ yet and I hate how the refs just anticipate giving him the benefit of the doubt. JoKimberly Noah is not very good. If I was 7ft tall I would embarrass him so bad his ponytail would beg for mercy.

Pacertron
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM

I enjoyed the games as much as the next man...but you can't say the Pacers didn't show nerves at all. They completely folded the last 3 minutes.

Shabazz
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I seriously can't even talk about this any more. It is just making me more ticked off.

To beat the Bulls, the Pacers must play TEAM BASKETBALL. They did that for 45 minutes. The final couple of minutes was ugly, selfish basketball by a couple players and it gave the Bulls the win. Such an absolute waste of a great opportunity to steal home court advantage.

spreedom
04-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm proud as hell of our boys... played hard the whole game and really could have taken the game had they not rushed a couple of possessions in the 4th. The Bulls are a better team and were obviously playing at home, so to push them to the limit today is extremely exciting to me as a Pacers fan.

My only gripe overall with the officiating is that I hate to see one player (Rose) get more FTAs than the entire opponent. I suppose a lot of that has to do with Danny and Psycho getting hot from the perimeter in the second half, but that discrepancy really bothers me. Hopefully we make Rose beat us from the perimeter for the next few games, because he couldn't hit a jumper all night long (0-9 from 3PT).

Keep it up boys!!!

hoosierguy
And to think, Chicago is only in the position they are in due to a stroke of luck, winning the draft lottery in 2008.

How convenient Rose was the consensus #1 pick that year.

Just like the Knicks winning the lottery in 1985 when Ewing was the consensus #1 pick.

Tell me the NBA is not rigged.

ksuttonjr76
Repost from the previous game thread.

Point blank.

Indiana played to not lose instead of playing to win in the final two minutes.

imawhat
04-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I can't let it go. Tyler Hansbrough is a warrior. How can anyone not be excited about his game today?

hoosierguy
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Well Rose didn't play a very good game. His shot was totally off. All he has to do to get 30-plus point against the Pacers is drive into the lane and get fouled. There's no reason to believe he can't do it every game this series.

Really the thing the Pacers should be concerned about is there's no way the rest of the Bulls team will play as poorly as they did for the remainder of the series.

Wow, so you are telling us the Bulls are the better team?

OH MY GOD THANK YOU for providing us with this bombshell!!!

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Nah. Rose played a spectacular game and some of their other key pieces played well including Noah, Korver and Deng. The Pacers played one of their better games of the year IMO. I expect them to get spanked next game but it's not because the Bulls played poorly tonight. Fact is, Boozer had a tough time dealing with Hans. The rest of their players played pretty good and Rose was his usual excellent.

hoosierguy
04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Derrick Rose- inspiring kids to cheat on their SATs. What a role model.

Shabazz
04-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I can't let it go. Tyler Hansbrough is a warrior. How can anyone not be excited about his game today?

Wouldn't shock me at all if they diagnose him with a concussion after the game. Just like it didn't shock me at all that he did everything possible to get back into that game. He is most definitely a warrior.

I said it from day 1. It is only a matter of time until Tyler wins over every doubter in the Pacer nation.

TMJ31
04-16-2011, 04:14 PM

We'll see.

Talk to me again Monday night.

ksuttonjr76
04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Wouldn't shock me at all if they diagnose him with a concussion after the game. Just like it didn't shock me at all that he did everything possible to get back into that game. He is most definitely a warrior.

I said it from day 1. It is only a matter of time until Tyler wins over every doubter in the Pacer nation.

He didn't do that today?

KingGeorge
04-16-2011, 04:15 PM
That was easily one of the toughest defeats I have ever watched.

I am very proud of our guys, and they proved that they can keep up with the Bulls.

I am as upset as any Pacer fan about the 16-1 run at the end of the game, but like we have always said, we are still a very young team.

Of course we made mistakes, but the team has nothing to be disappointed about.

Most of the people on here thought we were going to be blown out by 20-30 points, but we held the lead for 47 minutes.

Again, very tough loss, but at least we were competitive for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 5 years against the #1 seed.

This is going to be a good series.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Nah. Rose played a spectacular game and some of their other key pieces played well including Noah, Korver and Deng. The Pacers played one of their better games of the year IMO. I expect them to get spanked next game but it's not because the Bulls played poorly tonight. Fact is, Boozer had a tough time dealing with Hans. The rest of their players played pretty good and Rose was his usual excellent.

Yea, both teams played well. Hans got the better end of Boozer, but it wouldn't surprise me if that'll happen throughout the playoffs.

We were disorganized down the stretch. Vogel made some mistakes (no timeout, probably playing George instead of Rush) But this is all stuff to learn from.

This team proved they can compete.

Daniel33
04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
post game presser

http://www.nba.com/live1/

sorry if it was already posted

Danny is on right now

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Phenomenal game and effort. Danny, TYLER, Darren, and Roy all had great moments, and we had the game. We looked like the Pacers from the 90's.

Don't pinpoint this on Danny's three, Darren's turnover, or Paul's defense. It starts with Rose and ends with Rose.

We are still growing as a team. I expected us to get beat by 25 or so, but hell no. They gave their all and they showed some real raw talent. The announcers kept saying over and over just how young we are.

What about DC's defense? Not too shabby. I thought he played good defense. That's growth.

What about Tyler manhandling Carlos Boozer?

Danny exploding in the third?

I can't wait until they come home on Thursday.

I want us to win 50 games next year. I think that that is a good and reasonable expectation.

BlueNGold
This is how a new era for Pacer basketball starts. While we have much better players than we did a few years ago, in a few more years this team is going to be much better than it is today. I'm very pleased with our performance but consider this playoff series merely experience. Rose & Co. will probably challenge for the east if not win it.

smj887
That was one hell of a basketball game. I think it stings a bit more to have lead the ENTIRE FREAKING GAME and then lose it in that fashion, but it's still a step in the right direction. This team is going to get noticed if they keep playing like that, and I don't think there's any reason they can't. It's not as though either team played insanely above or below their usual standards.

I'm hoping this can be a fun, competitive series to watch, much like the Bulls/Celtics series a couple years ago. If this team can just turn a few heads on this stage, it'll go a long way towards bringing back the casual fans to the franchise.

Either way, it looks like this team is prepared to give the Bulls everything they've got.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 04:19 PM
He didn't do that today?

Nah, the haters would like to see him doing this for at least 10 playoffs games before deciding that Tyler is good.

immortality
With a game 1 like this, I am just excited for Game 2! Wow! You guys should appreciate the fact we came out and played hard, didn't get to our usual 10 point deficit into the 2nd half.

Dr. Hibbert
Not upset. Young guys battled hard. This is a team with a future. Maybe the ESPNs of the world will start to notice that (but probably not.)

That said, Granger is the least clutch clutch player I have ever seen.

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 04:22 PM
"Derrick Rose is like a crazy stalker ex girlfriend. Once you don't want them to come back, they come knocking at your door," - Danny Granger

Truest words ever spoken.

xIndyFan
:laugh: the haters hate. danny, darren, mike. :shakehead

pacers started working the clock the last 4 min. that allowed the bulls to set the defense. plus the pacers just missed some shots. it is silly to start blaming anything other than the pacers inability to make shots. and contain derrick rose. pacers gave up 33 pts in the last quarter.

lots of real reasons for the loss. no need blaming your favorite scapegoat for the loss. :laugh:

pacers have a good idea of just how hard they will have to play to win. it is up to the players to come back monday and play harder. and play better. pacers are not a good team in the half-court. :shrug: the coaching staff and players need to figure a way to play better in the half-court. it seems the players stand around too much when the game slows down. earlier in the game, the pacers were playing at a faster pace and guys moved and cut and got open. late in the game, the pacers slowed down and it seemed the guys stopped moving. instead waiting for the clock to run down before starting the offense. that leaves the guys with the ball no one to pass to.

jmo, but i think pacers tightened up down the stretch. :shrug: young team, things happen. part of the learning process. all in all, a much better effort than i expected. :cool:

samiuam
Wow...so proud of our guys. Great effort and game. Showed we can and will play with the Bulls...Remember this game was on the Bulls home court with an amped up crowd. I live in Chicago, this city is going nuts about the Bulls right now. For our guys to come out like we did...excellent, just excellent! I expect our guys to play just as well on Monday with a definate win within the next 2 games. I don't expect us to win the series, but this series will help us win many series in the future.

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Not upset. Young guys battled hard. This is a team with a future. Maybe the ESPNs of the world will start to notice that (but probably not.)

That said, Granger is the least clutch clutch player I have ever seen.

dude, danny carried the pacers the 2nd half. lighten up. please.;):bs:

immortality
04-16-2011, 04:24 PM
OT: The next game is scheduled to be on TNT, does anyone know if you can watch it online like you could today on espn3 ? Is there a TNT stream as well ?

ksuttonjr76
04-16-2011, 04:24 PM
As a side note, I REALLY hope that the announcers do a MUCH BETTER job of calling the game for both teams. Barry probably had a cigerette and went to sleep when the Bulls finally took the lead.

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Danny was the man today. He's going to make a name for himself over the next three years. For God's sake, do not point the fingers at him. He carried us in the second half.

Kuq_e_Zi91
04-16-2011, 04:26 PM
We outplayed the Bulls for 46 minutes.

For many of these guys, this was their first playoff game. It shouldn't be a surprise that they didn't know how to finish. But this is tremendous growth. Just think about where this team was a year ago, two years ago. Think about where Tyler was a year ago. We were even doubting if he would ever play again. Boy, look at him now.

I know this one hurts, it hurts like hell. But these are growing pains. They're supposed to hurt. So be patient, stick with these guys and enjoy watching them mature. They're only going to get better.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
OK re-watching from the time Hansbrough steal and dunk.

1) tried to go to Tyler could not get him the ball.

2) Tried again ran two pick and rolls tYLER AND Collison - finally got Ty the ball and he missed a driving layup

3) next possession. ran double pick an rolls with DG and roy, end on a Roy post up and he ws fouled

4) ran another pick and roll Ty and darren, collison shot the ball

5) iso for danny

just wanted to document that they tried to go to Tyler in the last 2.5 minutes

6) out of bounds play down thre, nice play to get danny a good dhot

TMJ31
As a side note, I REALLY hope that the announcers do a MUCH BETTER job of calling the game for both teams.

0% chance of this happening.

Anthem
Very proud of this team, but worried about the rest of the series. Hans on the P&P and Granger from 3 carried the offense in the second half. It is unrealistic to expect that kind of shooting every night.
Agreed. The Bulls will come to play in game 2.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I cannot wait for the next game.

I cannot believe how well we played this game.

They didn't lead until the end of the game.

TMJ31

I would argue that they came to play tonight.

Our defense (aside from a few gaping holes leading to dunks in the first half) was quite good. I think if we apply more pressure on Rose and continue to lock down his supporting cast to the best of our ability, we will give ourselves a chance to win every night.

It's a matter of whether or not we mentally rise to the challenge or wilt. That's the true test.

xIndyFan
Wow, so you are telling us the Bulls are the better team?

OH MY GOD THANK YOU for providing us with this bombshell!!!

troll.

fixed.

Unclebuck
One thing I know about the playoffs, is you only get so many chances to win a road game. This might have been our best chance to win a road game. We'll see

hoosierguy
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow...so proud of our guys. Great effort and game. Showed we can and will play with the Bulls...Remember this game was on the Bulls home court with an amped up crowd. I live in Chicago, this city is going nuts about the Bulls right now.

I don't know of any city with more obnoxious, bandwagon, booger eating fans than Chicago. Boston is right up there as is New York.

rel
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Danny was the man today. He's going to make a name for himself over the next three years. For God's sake, do not point the fingers at him. He carried us in the second half.

my problem with grangers game was that it was completely opposite of what he said he'd do...take it to the basket. He made some BIG baskets but they're weren't all necessarily good looks. I'm glad he made them, but he relied waaay too much on his jumper today

Shade
04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I knew we'd blow it at the end (I really hate it when teams win after trailing for 99% of the game, though), but these are the kinds of games that make you better in the long run.

Very proud of the effort today. Just gotta keep it up and learn how to close it out.

ReginaldWayne
04-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I would like to see Dahntay get some minutes at the 2. We can put Dahntay on Rose and DC on korver. And let Dahntay attack korver on the other end.

mb221
04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Any time Danny looked to be interested in taking the ball inside, he was getting trapped. The pressure on Granger from Deng was pretty tight throughout the entire game. He might have gone into this game with the idea of taking the ball to the rack, but once he realized they were looking to lock him down, he had to take what came to him.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
That was easily one of the toughest defeats I have every watched.

yes you are young. This wasn't in my top 20 for sure

Anthem
04-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Danny is pretty much a veteran NBA basketball player now. He is what he is now. Still a good player, but he's not capable of stepping it up ala Reggie Miller when a playoff game is on the line.
Not sure where you got this... Danny had 24 points on 50% shooting in a game where Chicago's entire defensive system was built to stop him. Reggie's given far worse performances in the playoffs.

Plus, it's essentially Danny's first playoff game. Saying that it's a done deal is crazy talk.

Powww
04-16-2011, 04:37 PM
We have to remember that we are young and the 8th seed. Its tough to remember that when we should have won this game, but at the end of the game I was proud of our guys they fought the whole game and told the Bulls that they arent just going to have 4 easy games against us.

I think that Dhantay should play over Dunleavy and have him guard Rose some.

Very proud of our team, they will learn from this and next season we are going to be a top 5 team in the east.

GO PACERS

QuickRelease
04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Turns out Danny was right about the Bulls, eh? I love how they quoted Bogans as 'noticing what Granger said, and we'll definitely have some guys step up today', and then does absolutely nothing. Korver and Noah played like Korver and Noah. Someone mentioned Rush on Korver, which might be a good idea, because he sure had him flustered.

ilive4sports
04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Not sure where you got this... Danny had 24 points on 50% shooting in a game where Chicago's entire defensive system was built to stop him. Reggie's given far worse performances in the playoffs.

Plus, it's essentially Danny's first playoff game. Saying that it's a done deal is crazy talk.

Not to mention the game would have gotten out of hand if he didn't take over in the third quarter

Anthem
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM

2) Tried again ran two pick and rolls tYLER AND Collison - finally got Ty the ball and he missed a driving layup

3) next possession. ran double pick an rolls with DG and roy, end on a Roy post up and he ws fouled

5) iso for danny

Everybody bookmark this post... we'll be referring back to it for the next six months.

Anthem
One thing I know about the playoffs, is you only get so many chances to win a road game. This might have been our best chance to win a road game. We'll see
Great point, Buck. This is my fear as well.

ksuttonjr76
There is a however to all this. If Vogel is truly the Master of Film like he was in his previous roles, it's highly likely that Vogel will teach George how to play better defense on Rose. Personally, I'm all for letting George live or die from this experience, instead of throwing different defenders at Rose.

eldubious
04-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Larry Johnson's 4 point play would be my number one.

Anthem
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Any time Danny looked to be interested in taking the ball inside, he was getting trapped. The pressure on Granger from Deng was pretty tight throughout the entire game. He might have gone into this game with the idea of taking the ball to the rack, but once he realized they were looking to lock him down, he had to take what came to him.
I thought Danny's post worked well... especially when double-posted with Hibbert on the other side of the floor.

Isaac
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't know of any city with more obnoxious, bandwagon, booger eating fans than Chicago. Boston is right up there as is New York.

Any insight on the game or are you just going around bashing Chicago? Do you prefer rooting for the team with the worst attendance? I would love to get some bandwagoners in Conseco.

The execution down the stretch really has to improve. This is why we need someone who can create his own shot and get to the line. I really would have liked Tyler to get the ball at least once or twice in the last 2 minutes, I feel like he would have gotten to the line.

ilive4sports
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Great point, Buck. This is my fear as well.

Quite frankly I didn't think we would win a road playoff game, I didn't think it would be too close either, but they showed they can do it.

Isaac
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM

It only barely squeaks in to my top 5 losses to the Bulls in the playoffs ;)

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Hibbert: "There's no way they’re going to sweep us."
9 minutes ago

True DAT.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
It felt like a rivalry renewed tonight.

A hard fought game like in the 90's when it was Reggie vs. Jordan.

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Not to mention the game would have gotten out of hand if he didn't take over in the third quarter

This is the point. I don't think Danny will ever be "the man" in the 4th quarter on anything but a very sporadic basis. Yes, he scored well but his opponent, Luol Deng, shot better than 50% and grabbed 10 boards. Deng basically matched or beat Danny...and probably was the main reason Danny was taken out of his game in the 4th. Deng's defense is much, much better in fact. Fact is, I like Danny but he's not leading anyone into anything close to contention. That's where this team is headed and they will need someone else to pick up the torch soon. BTW, this reminds me of the time when Chuck Person was the man and Reggie Miller came along and took the reigns. Danny is Chuck. How appropriate.

itzryan07
04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
the post game conference of Vogel, it made me believe that our guys aren't gonna let this bring down there confidence but add more to the fire by letting this one slip away. i guarantee Rose aint dropping 39 again.

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
This was a tough loss, but a great game. The shot of Larry amongst the many Bulls fans was indicative of the way this series is being viewed. He still nearly had the last laugh. Despite the disappointment of losing, I cannot imagine that he doesn't want to come back for next season.

Also, the ESPN announcing was rough. Barry had way too much of a hard-on for Rose to make good comments. They could have pimped Hansbrough but didn't really do it until late. I would have liked to hear Van Gundy and Jax for this game.

I do think that Game 2 will be very tough. We probably will not have as good-shooting a first half. That doesn't take away from the fact that this is a major accomplishment and stepping stone for the franchise and the young team.

For the rest of the series, we need to keep Roy and DC involved. We need to get something offensively out of the two spot. We got a couple of threes from Brandon, but very little out of Mike or Paul.

Lastly, the team defense was ****ing phenomenal. No one can stop Rose but we really made them work, especially in the first half. We'll get a lot more respect because of this game.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I remember seeing how happy Bird and Morway were sitting amongst the sea of red with huge grins on their faces when we were up.

They must be really proud of this group of young guys they brought together.

It's amazing how much we've transformed from 2006.

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Quite frankly I didn't think we would win a road playoff game, I didn't think it would be too close either, but they showed they can put themselves in a position to do so unless the Bulls pull a 16-1 run out of Rose's ***.

FTFY. :D

owl
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
That is two games in a row where the Pacers have played the Bulls hard and lead the whole way. Lost one and won one in down to the wire games. I think the Pacers can win
they just need to get the right things going at the end. Rose will get his, the Pacers need to get theirs also at the end. Breaking down the defense is what the Pacers guards need to continue to do. The Pacers need one more reliable scorer on the front line and some experence to be legit playoff contenders.

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Larry Johnson's 4 point play would be my number one.

I was seven or eight when watching that. I cried my ****ing eyes out. It was one of my first main introductions to corruption and unfairness. It was the end of Santa Claus for me.

Ozwalt72
04-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I was most impressed by Collison, and for stretches there he outplayed Rose.

Damn near cried when Hansbrough went down. I was fearing for his career.

Granger was big in that 3rd quarter.

Tough matchup for McRoberts it seems like...big guys that stay near the basket...doesn't allow him freedom.

Brandon Rush was impressive. You can tell he's played in big games.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Now I felt like this was real Indiana basketball.

Much like what Butler played and now the Pacers, the pros.

It was a real blue collar, team like effort. We didn't rely on one guy.

Hopefully we manage to win some and give the Bulls a scary series.

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I love the Playoffs. Imagine, we could be sitting here right now talking about the lockout, prospects, or free agents. Instead we are talking about THIS team almost taking care of the Bulls.

Ozwalt72
04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Also, our team is so much better today than they were at the start of the season, or heck, when Vogel took over.

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 05:19 PM
. . . Lastly, the team defense was ****ing phenomenal. No one can stop Rose but we really made them work, especially in the first half. We'll get a lot more respect because of this game.

one of the things i really like about the playoffs is the adjustments made game to game. it will really be interesting to see what adjustments the bulls make on offense. and the pacers to the defense.

right now, it looks like the bulls depend entirely on rose's individual brilliance. that may be enough to beat the pacers, but it won't take them to the ECF much less the finals. i like what the pacers are trying to do. the collapsing on rose is giving up too many rebounds. can't wait to see if vogel can make a tweak that will work. thought generally the pacers did a nice job with korver. he did hit some shots, but mainly it was ok. like what the pacers are doing, just hope they can tweak it successfully.

xtacy
04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
how i feel about tonight: disappointed

how i feel about this team: PROUD

i just don't care we lost, how this series will end this is a good day to be a pacers fan.

ilive4sports
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
one of the things i really like about the playoffs is the adjustments made game to game. it will really be interesting to see what adjustments the bulls make on offense. and the pacers to the defense.

right now, it looks like the bulls depend entirely on rose's individual brilliance. that may be enough to beat the pacers, but it won't take them to the ECF much less the finals. i like what the pacers are trying to do. the collapsing on rose is giving up too many rebounds. can't wait to see if vogel can make a tweak that will work. thought generally the pacers did a nice job with korver. he did hit some shots, but mainly it was ok. like what the pacers are doing, just hope they can tweak it successfully.

To me the Bulls look very exposed right now. It took an absolutely brilliant performance from Derrick Rose to get by the Pacers. Thats not going to work against Orlando, Miami or Boston. Rose will not be able to do this every game.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
To me this game just proved that without Rose getting almost every call from the refs the Pacers are clearly a better team. This is two games in a row against the Bulls that the only reason they were in the game was the refs.

Jared Sullinger
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Horrible loss. We were two minutes of average basketball away from taking game 1 and giving ourselves a strong chance in this series and we crumbled like stale bread on both ends of the court. Anyone who isn't upset by that has far lower expectations than me.

The good news is, we can clearly hang with these guys. We've done it in both games we've played against them, post-O'Brien. We also look like a team that's a year or two of experience away from being very good, and that's what we have now, without even including the flexibility we have for roster improvement starting this upcoming offseason.

This loss sucked badly, though, and may very well have cost us the series.

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
King24George Paul George
I got cooked by rose? He made 2 shots on me
32 minutes ago

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Damn near cried when Hansbrough went down. I was fearing for his career.

To steal and modify a quote from the Untouchables:

"They put one of our guys on the floor; we put one of their's into the LOCKER ROOM"

Apparently D-Rose was whining that we fouled him too much.

I say we should activate Solo, and make his ONLY role, to knock Rose to the ground EVERYTIME he tries to drive the lane. Solo gets six fouls, let's use them!

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 05:30 PM
King24George Paul George
I got cooked by rose? He made 2 shots on me
32 minutes ago

That is one of the reasons I like George. Where most players will say he only made two shots, George is saying he made 2 shots too many. It shows that he doesn't want to be anything but the best.

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I never, ever, ever, EVER, EV-ER want to see Solo play for the Pacers again. Worst player ever.

idioteque
04-16-2011, 05:31 PM
T

If that's true and this attitude continues, Chicago is going to be disappointed as to how far he ever takes them into the playoffs. Newsflash, the playoffs are physical.

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 05:33 PM
We'd only have to see Solo long enough to foul out of a game! :D

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
you could tell the veteran officials were running the game. both jeff foster and kurt thomas got away with extra hard fouls. be glad when more of the pacer players learn how to give the hard foul.

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Btw, the most physical play was Thomas's elbow to Tyler's head. I personally enjoy the chippiness and think we can definitely hang with them on that end. Hopefully the refs keep it somewhat consistent.

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 05:37 PM
If that's true and this attitude continues, Chicago is going to be disappointed as to how far he ever takes them into the playoffs. Newsflash, the playoffs are physical.

:amen:

yeah, crying about it now is silly. it is only going to get worse. especially if teams now it bothers you. bulls will have to toughen up to get to the ECF much less win it.

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Btw, the most physical play was Thomas's elbow to Tyler's head. I personally enjoy the chippiness and think we can definitely hang with them on that end. Hopefully the refs keep it somewhat consistent.

i like the physical play. pacers just have to get better at it. they have enough big strong guys, they just need to play with a mean streak.

Kuq_e_Zi91
04-16-2011, 05:42 PM
To steal and modify a quote from the Untouchables:

"They put one of our guys on the floor; we put one of their's into the LOCKER ROOM"

I say we should activate Solo, and make his ONLY role, to knock Rose to the ground EVERYTIME he tries to drive the lane. Solo gets six fouls, let's use them!

The problem with that is that Rose will just get right back up and knock down his free throws, while we'll be in the penalty, so any other touch fouls will result in more free throws.

But if you want to knock him on his ***, I'd much prefer Posey do it. He's known in Chicago for delivering some tough shots, some borderline dirty.

dal9
04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
That is one of the reasons I like George. Where most players will say he only made two shots, George is saying he made 2 shots too many. It shows that he doesn't want to be anything but the best.

that isn't what he is saying, but that's besides the point...

the issue is that rose went by george and into the lane very easily down the stretch...i would have liked to seen rush in for george, on DRose...

that said, there is no guarantee that rush (or DJones) would have done any better, and vogel made so many good calls this game, that it is hard to question him on this

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
This may sound bad, but I can't wait until some really gets under Rose when he drives and actually puts him on his ***. Yeah people will say Foster's foul was hard, but damn that was one of the softest hard fouls I have ever seen. If his legs get taken out from under him a couple of times I am sure you will start to see a different Rose.

Infinite MAN_force
04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Nah, the haters would like to see him doing this for at least 10 playoffs games before deciding that Tyler is good.

Honestly, I see nothing but praise for Tyler. If anything, I think this could be applied to Danny. He deserves more credit than he is getting around here. Basically because he didn't pull some kind of Miller esqe miracle to win the game, he sucks.

24 points, leading scorer, 18 points in the second half, 6 boards, 3 assists, 50% from the floor, 50% from three. What more can you ask?

TMJ31
04-16-2011, 05:46 PM
This may sound bad, but I can't wait until some really gets under Rose when he drives and actually puts him on his ***. Yeah people will say Foster's foul was hard, but damn that was one of the softest hard fouls I have ever seen. If his legs get taken out from under him a couple of times I am sure you will start to see a different Rose.

^THIS!^

I want to see Rose pulling up short of the lane for fear of getting a concussion.

Or even better, let him drive into the lane and RECEIVE a concussion.

CableKC
04-16-2011, 05:46 PM
I really would like to see how Inferno would have done against defending DRose.

Trophy
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Brandon's defense used to be a hell of a lot better than what he played against Korver today.

Strummer
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
What impressed me was how poised the Pacers were up to that last two minutes. So many times the Bulls made runs to cut into the lead. I (and all of you) repeatedly thought, "Ok, here it comes, they're gonna take us now." But each time we'd pull together and expand the lead back out to 8 or so. The Pacers were clutch. True, they finally got over on us at the end. But I think we gained a lot from playing them tough for 46 minutes. Just need the killer instinct to kick in so we can get them down and keep them down. Turn those 8 points leads into 16.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Honestly, I see nothing but praise for Tyler. If anything, I think this could be applied to Danny. He deserves more credit than he is getting around here. Basically because he didn't pull some kind of Miller esqe miracle to win the game, he sucks.

24 points, leading scorer, 18 points in the second half, 6 boards, 3 assists, 50% from the floor, 50% from three. What more can you ask?

I agree, the only thing that you could have asked for is for him to not have completely sucked in the first half. He did play great in the second though. He just isn't very good one on one player, and until everyone figures it out this team will have trouble at the end if they are relying too much on Danny being better than the guy defending him. When Danny is at his best is when he is playing within the offense, hell that is when everyone on this team is at their best.

dal9
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM

yeah, don't want to get too dirty, but agree that our hard fouls weren't very hard...by the way, boozer's two hands to the back of TH on the breakaway was very dangerous and dirty too

CableKC
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I really would have liked to have seen the ball go to Hibbert more in the last couple of minutes.

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I think the issue with hard fouls is preventing three-point-plays like the one off the fingeroll Rose got late on Roy.

Trophy, I think Brandon came out very aggressive in the first quarter. He hits a shot and stole the ball right out of Korver's hand. The first three KK hit was a pretty tough shot and the last one was all Rose.

PaceBalls
04-16-2011, 05:56 PM
god, that was a great game with a such a bad ending. Really, the Pacers played as well as they have all season. Every time the Bulls got close the Pacers would hit one or two clutch shots to keep the lead around 8 or 9. I'm really proud of the effort. We looked like we belong in the playoffs and we looked dangerous.

Everyone was taking great shots, except Danny, who took way too many contested jumpers. But he can make those, and he has throughout his career. We can't have Danny doing that at the end of the game when we have a lead. That's what desperate teams that are DOWN in crunch time do.

I thought it was a brilliantly coached game until the last 2:30. Frank needed to get the guys together and reinforce the end game strategy, which I would hope was to pound the ball inside or drive it and try to get fouled, it was obvious the refs were calling it tight.

I'm not gonna blame the refs or anything, but I thought this was the stat of the game...
Derrick Rose took more free throw shots in this game than anyone has in any playoff game since Allen Iverson did it 10+ years ago. Alot of those calls I saw on Rose were ghost fouls. But here is the flipside, our guys need to realize that the refs are calling the game that way and return the favor and take it to the rim.

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 05:58 PM
The problem with that is that Rose will just get right back up and knock down his free throws, while we'll be in the penalty, so any other touch fouls will result in more free throws.

But if you want to knock him on his ***, I'd much prefer Posey do it. He's known in Chicago for delivering some tough shots, some borderline dirty.

Lets make him earn them from the line instead of slamming home two points!

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Derrick Rose took more free throw shots in this game than anyone has in any playoff game since Allen Iverson did it 10+ years ago. Alot of those calls I saw on Rose were ghost fouls. But here is the flipside, our guys need to realize that the refs are calling the game that way and return the favor and take it to the rim.

The problem with that is the refs were calling it like that. They were calling it like that for Rose, not for everyone.

CableKC
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
There were several times in the 2nd half where it looked like our Players were mugged in the low post and no calls were made. Can someone go back and watch the game again to see if there were many missed calls by the Refs?

PaceBalls
04-16-2011, 06:04 PM
The problem with that is the refs were calling it like that. They were calling it like that for Rose, not for everyone.

Well... you gotta drive the ball to the rim to get a chance a whistle.

IndyHoya
04-16-2011, 06:13 PM
There were several times in the 2nd half where it looked like our Players were mugged in the low post and no calls were made. Can someone go back and watch the game again to see if there were many missed calls by the Refs?

The non-call on Collison was pivotal. If that call had been made and he hit his shots (which I think he would have) would have put us up 5 under a minute. Rose shot some additional free throws and either tied the game or put them 1 back. Can't remember. Fog of war.

Rose has his arm out on virtually every drive. Mr. MVP. Don't make me laugh.
Shooting 21 FTs is a joke.

Mr. MVP (ptooey. I spit 3 times. Ptooey, ptooey, ptooey)

BillS
04-16-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought the refs were fine, it was playoff basketball and they were up to it. And for me to say that about Violet Palmer is like vnzla nominating Dun for the HoF.

I thought differently at the beginning but the Bulls pushed their defense a little too hard and the Pacers stayed aggressive, which drew the calls (how about that practice strategy from Vogel of having guys just get physical with the main rotation players and make 'em play through it!) We were making some really dumb fouls down the stretch, they were called.

We make some of the FTs we got (like the Technical, even) and this game may not get away from us. Take care of our own freebies when we get 'em is all we can do.

BillS
04-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Rose has his arm out on virtually every drive. Mr. MVP. Don't make me laugh.
Shooting 21 FTs is a joke.

Mr. MVP (ptooey. I spit 3 times. Ptooey, ptooey, ptooey)

What I can't figure out - and maybe someone can explain - is the foul Rose draws when he angles around the set defender and bangs into him anyway. The defender is set in Rose's original path, the defender doesn't move to intentionally intercept the new path, there's no lean or reach out, but Rose gets either the foul or the and-one.

I could see a no-charge call on that, but it seems to me the defender has position, even if Rose runs into him at an angle it is still the defender's spot on the floor. Why does Rose always get that call? And what can the defender do to prevent it - if he moves at the last minute, even to get out of the way of the new angle, it is definitely a foul.

PacersForever
04-16-2011, 06:22 PM
How to stop Derrick Rose: Put Dahntay Jones on him and James Posey in the key to draw the foul.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 06:22 PM
What I can't figure out - and maybe someone can explain - is the foul Rose draws when he angles around the set defender and bangs into him anyway. The defender is set in Rose's original path, the defender doesn't move to intentionally intercept the new path, there's no lean or reach out, but Rose gets either the foul or the and-one.

I could see a no-charge call on that, but it seems to me the defender has position, even if Rose runs into him at an angle it is still the defender's spot on the floor. Why does Rose always get that call? And what can the defender do to prevent it - if he moves at the last minute, even to get out of the way of the new angle, it is definitely a foul.

Well, first..Rose is the MVP. He's going to get that call. Just like Lebron gets away with running people over.

Second, I also think he's so fast that the refs have trouble with the call.

WhatCouldHaveBeen
04-16-2011, 06:30 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Hibbert: "There's no way they’re going to sweep us."
9 minutes ago

True DAT.

great comment roy...not "We will be ready to take game 2...." you say " They won't sweep us..." Collison needs to learn to stay @ home when we are in zone. Because he constantly left korver open and i was amazed rose didn't find him more then he did. Then the back breaker 3...let em have the 2 and come down and get a better look...ANYTHING but an open 3 by korver...yeesh

BillS
04-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Well, first..Rose is the MVP. He's going to get that call. Just like Lebron gets away with running people over.

*sigh* Superstar calls.

There was that one foul DRose drew where I swear he got into the air and walked up the defender - who was there before Rose left his feet, so (again) should have had position.

Oh, well.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 06:32 PM

If the refs are having trouble seeing it they are not fit to be NBA refs.

ilive4sports
*sigh* Superstar calls.

There was that one foul DRose drew where I swear he got into the air and walked up the defender - who was there before Rose left his feet, so (again) should have had position.

Oh, well.

Don't worry, Miami has 3 players to get those superstar calls so Chicago is in trouble

Sookie
*sigh* Superstar calls.

Oh, well.

Yea..that's one of the reasons..that despite thinking we actually match up well with Miami..playing them in the playoffs would have been a nightmare.

Imagine having to deal with two guys that are going to get every single call.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Yea..that's one of the reasons..that despite thinking we actually match up well with Miami..playing them in the playoffs would have been a nightmare.

Imagine having to deal with two guys that are going to get every single call.

That is why the NBA's popularity, in the USA, is shrinking. It is no longer viewed by the average fan, and middle class as a fair sport. That i one of the biggest reasons why the NFL kept growing after Jordan while the NBA fell into an afterthought for most people. The NFL was still perceived as fair while the NBA was not. Take away the superstar treatment, and maybe the NBA is still right up there with the NFL.

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Rose gets the benefit of the doubt because of his quickness and the fact he twists and turns while driving...and rarely just runs over a guy. But there is no doubt he charges in some situations and they call a foul on the opposition instead. They need to rename Rose to "Glancing Blow" because he always draws contact.

BTW, his style of play will ultimately get him injured.

Whiskeyjim
04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Regardless of the silly way we were absent on the offensive end in the last 5 minutes, the fact of the matter is that we lost that basketball game on the foul line.

Going 11-17 isn't going to get it done in the play-offs.

That and the bench went 7-21 from the field. You CANNOT have that happen in any game.

Fixing either of them and we win that game going away.

Here's the thing. Both teams played hard. But the pacers have some ceiling to hit there.

2 more things people may not like to hear. If the refs are going to allow such physical play in the paint (that's fine), AND give those no-calls in the paint to Rose, then the prudent thing for the Pacers, if they wish to win this series, is put Rose on the floor when he comes into the paint. There must be an unacceptable cost to his spastic gyrations down there and it must be delivered by the Pacers. And yes, that is basketball as played by the refs. There is no other sensible response if winning is the goal; the game is set against the Pacers unless they change it.

Second, I am beyond tired of watching teams attempt to play the superstar crap at the end of games. First, the Pacers do not have one. Second, there is no need for it. Stay with game plan, and play good team smash mouth basketball down the stretch. What is with the piddling around with DC and Danny? You are either going to get this done down the throat or you are not going to get it done.

We looked into the abyss of the win, and got scared, thinking we were going to superstar finesse this thing into the W column. Silly, wasn't it?

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 06:53 PM
2 more things people may not like to hear. If the refs are going to allow such physical play in the paint (that's fine), AND give those no-calls in the paint to Rose, then the prudent thing for the Pacers, if they wish to win this series, is put Rose on the floor when he comes into the paint. There must be an unacceptable cost to his spastic gyrations down there and it must be delivered by the Pacers. And yes, that is basketball as played by the refs. There is no other sensible response if winning is the goal; the game is set against the Pacers unless they change it.

He's already said that we fouled him too hard today. If I'm a Pacer, I'm smelling blood in the water.

KNOCK THE "SUPERSTAR" ON HIS KEISTER! :braveheart:
They may survive us, but may they NEVER forget the physical toll it will take!

Whiskeyjim
04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Rose gets the benefit of the doubt because of his quickness and the fact he twists and turns while driving...and rarely just runs over a guy. But there is no doubt he charges in some situations and they call a foul on the opposition instead. They need to rename Rose to "Glancing Blow" because he always draws contact.

BTW, his style of play will ultimately get him injured.This is what I as talking about. Vogel must make up his mind whether he wants to win this thing or not. IF he does, then he must put Rose on the floor.

IF that means there will be a controversy, then so be it. The pacers will just say if the refs will not call the offensive, we will stop him. But we will not allow him to piddle the game away. It is EXACTLY like allowing a scorer to fool around in front of the net in hockey; one way or another, he must be put down until he is too afraid to come in there. Happens all the time.

IndyHoya
04-16-2011, 06:55 PM
He's already said that we fouled him too hard today. If I'm a Pacer, I'm smelling blood in the water.

KNOCK THE "SUPERSTAR" ON HIS KEISTER! :braveheart:
They may survive us, but may they NEVER forget the physical toll it will take!

They had no qualms about putting Tyler on the floor.

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 06:58 PM
They had no qualms about putting Tyler on the floor.

Time to play the Chicago way:

"He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!"
http://seanconneryday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sean_connery_the_untouchables.jpg

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
The plan should be to bring Solo into the game in the middle of the 1st period and absolutely crush Rose. Solo gets suspended and Rose is in traction. Who wins that deal?

No, I'm not serious...

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM
The plan should be to bring Solo into the game in the middle of the 1st period and absolutely crush Rose. Solo gets suspended and Rose is in traction. Who wins that deal?

No, I'm not serious...

Then we bring Posey in to do the exact same thing.

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM

No, I'm not serious...

I am. Well, except for putting D-Rose in traction.:D We have Solo, if he knocks the crap out of D-Rose 6 times a game, as far as Im concerned, he's earned his contract. :D

Whiskeyjim
04-16-2011, 07:05 PM

No, I'm not serious...I realize you are not serious, but I expected this response when i wrote the thread.

But let us be clear; I am not suggesting the Pacers hurt him. I am saying they need to make that play unacceptable one way or another. Rose needs to be thinking very hard about whether he wants to run around in the paint.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Then we bring Posey in to do the exact same thing.

I rather bring DJ back for Dun.

pwee31
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Rose and Lebron combined took more free throws today than the Pacers and Sixers teams combined.

I remember an early sequence when PG got called for a charge with Bogans sliding in front of him. Rose ran over a set Rush and McRoberts for a no call and a block.

The Collison travel call at the end of the half was terrible, and Hansbrough got hacked multiple times.. no call. There was one where Rose completely grabbed his arm at the top of the key to come up with a steal and breakaway layup.

There's a reason Frank Vogel got his first tech of the season during this game.

I loved how the guys came out and played hard though, and everyone really shot the ball pretty well aside from McRoberts (Danny in the 1st half)

We pretty much need a repeat performance from everyone to be successful, hopefully with less fouling. Dunleavy needs to be more involved when on the floor.

And I know it's easier said than done, but Rose ALWAYS tries to finish hard on the right side. Every time he drives the lane he goes right. He's either darting right, spinning right, crossing over back right. You can't overplay him, but I would like to see the Pacers try to make him finish with his left hand.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I rather bring DJ back for Dun.

It was just a little joke, I am not advocating bring Posey in at any point unless we have 8 guys foul out.

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 07:13 PM
It was just a little joke, I am not advocating bring Posey in at any point unless we have 8 guys foul out.

For Chicago, I'm willing to make an exception. Dude has a history of fouling Bulls hard.

Remember Matt Geiger during our Finals run and how Philly used him to get a couple wins by getting Reggie ejected and then suspended for a game?

King Tuts Tomb
04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I'd be worried if I was a Bulls fan after today. They won't lose to the Pacers but they have no one who can create a shot outside of Rose. I can't think of a title team ever that didn't have at least a couple guys who could manufacture shots.

DaveP63
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Two things...Thomas needs to elbow Tyler in head more often. Item two, the purpose behind a "hard, playoff foul" is to make it hard for the opponent to hit a free throw because he can't feel his fingers because his whole ARM IS NUMB...

d_c
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd be worried if I was a Bulls fan after today. They won't lose to the Pacers but they have no one who can create a shot outside of Rose. I can't think of a title team ever that didn't have at least a couple guys who could manufacture shots.

The real issue of precedence is when the last time a team won a title with their best player being under 6'5". Last time it happened was probably the Bad Boys Pistons teams. If the Bulls win the title, that would truly be setting a precedence that hasn't happened in quite awhile.

The Spurs in 99' won with Duncan and really nobody else who could create their shot. That was pre-Ginobilli and Parker.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
The real issue of precedence is when the last time a team won a title with their best player being under 6'5". Last time it happened was probably the Bad Boys Pistons teams. If the Bulls win the title, that would truly be setting a precedence that hasn't happened in quite awhile.

The Spurs in 99' won with Duncan and really nobody else who could create their shot. That was pre-Ginobilli and Parker.

Yeah, it isn't really about creating a shot as it is playing as a team. If there is ball movement and player movement you don't need someone who can create with the ball. This is why I don't care about getting someone who can create their own shot with the ball in their hands. It just reinforces standing around while someone else does all the work. This is still a team game, and it is still the teams who play as a team that win the championships.

GrangerRanger
04-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Wade is 6'4 and plays like he is 6'7.

Almost the same thing with Derrick Rose. Speedy little guys like Iverson.. etc.. are much easier to stop (case in point, Iverson's field goal percentage due to bad shots). Derrick Rose plays much bigger than he really is.

Kid Minneapolis
04-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Vogel impressed me. I'm leaning more and more towards being just fine with him keeping his job. He's like our version of Brad Stevens. He has tremendous presence and voice. Notice they kept giving us sound bites inside the Pacers' huddle, and none of "Thibs". Even the announcers seemed impressed by his poise and confidence. His playcalling and substitutions were well-done today, imo. It's like they were giving us glimpses into the birth of something special.

This Pacer team is young and talented, but frankly if you consider what they've been through this year (especially an in-season coaching change) they should have no business playing as well as they did in this 1st playoff game. Even getting there is a testament to the man in charge. A large part of me believes we wouldn't even be in the playoffs with JOB in charge, and here this young guy gets us there and absolutely takes it to Chicago, the best team in the league.

Eleazar
04-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Wade is 6'4 and plays like he is 6'7.

Almost the same thing with Derrick Rose. Speedy little guys like Iverson.. etc.. are much easier to stop (case in point, Iverson's field goal percentage due to bad shots). Derrick Rose plays much bigger than he really is.

Wade may have been the "best" player on the team, but he wasn't the best player on that team. That team won because of Shaq not Wade.

King Tuts Tomb
04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it isn't really about creating a shot as it is playing as a team. If there is ball movement and player movement you don't need someone who can create with the ball. This is why I don't care about getting someone who can create their own shot with the ball in their hands. It just reinforces standing around while someone else does all the work. This is still a team game, and it is still the teams who play as a team that win the championships.

NBA defenses are too good to be beaten by executing an offensive set. I'm not saying ball movement and team play aren't important but in the end you need guys who can make something from nothing.

Shade
04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm disappointed in Rose's comments about us being "too physical."

This is the playoffs, Derrick. Buck up or go home.

Gold
04-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Very fun game to watch even with it being a little heartbreaking.

I think a good way to slow down Rose is to get him to commit offensive fouls. ........When refs actually start calling it, I think we can win more than one game this series I think lol. I hope we also try Dahntay on Rose also. The length of Paul actually worked out pretty well on some possessions but Dahntay is known to stop stars like Rose in the playoffs. He needs a shot at him.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 08:09 PM

I think he was answering a question about us been one of the most physical teams in the NBA.

KingGeorge
04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Vogel impressed me. I'm leaning more and more towards being just fine with him keeping his job. He's like our version of Brad Stevens. He has tremendous presence and voice. Notice they kept giving us sound bites inside the Pacers' huddle, and none of "Thibs". Even the announcers seemed impressed by his poise and confidence. His playcalling and substitutions were well-done today, imo. It's like they were giving us glimpses into the birth of something special.

This Pacer team is young and talented, but frankly if you consider what they've been through this year (especially an in-season coaching change) they should have no business playing as well as they did in this 1st playoff game. Even getting there is a testament to the man in charge. A large part of me believes we wouldn't even be in the playoffs with JOB in charge, and here this young guy gets us there and absolutely takes it to Chicago, the best team in the league.

I couldn't agree more.

He is a player's coach, and that is definitely what they need right now.

I think he has the intensity that most coaches don't have, and he also believes in his guys and lets them know that.

I also love his smash mouth style of basketball, and it is only going to get better with time.

The Pacers need Vogel and Vogel needs the Pacers.

They are both young, intense, talented, and have endless potential.

This is our guy for the future.

idioteque
04-16-2011, 08:14 PM

No kidding, that disappoints me as someone who follows the NBA, not as someone who roots for the Pacers. The playoffs have been somewhat isolated from the pansifying of the NBA, which from the perspective of the regular season can be somewhat justified because you don't want the superstars out of commission for the playoffs.

But if the playoffs become as tightly called as some of the regular season games, the popularity of the league will eventually suffer. The league must remember that it is bigger than any prima donna player that isn't willing to play grind it out basketball and get knocked down when they take it to the basket.

It does offer an interesting opening in the series, however. If we knock him down a couple times the next game, who is to say he won't become unhinged and go after one of our players, land a punch, and get suspended for a game or two at least.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 08:16 PM
By the way only 4 points by Iguadola today, I wonder how many people would get on Danny's a$$ if he does this?

Sandman21
04-16-2011, 08:22 PM
It does offer an interesting opening in the series, however. If we knock him down a couple times the next game, who is to say he won't become unhinged and go after one of our players, land a punch, and get suspended for a game or two at least.

See: Matt Gieger IND-PHI 2000

Pacerized
04-16-2011, 08:25 PM
I had to work so I missed the game but I was able to sneek a updates as the game progressed. I'll catch the next game. I was on edge while the Pacers had the lead and not being able to check in very often. It feels great to have my team in the playoffs again. Great game by our players, I think we'll at least pull one out at home.

McKeyFan
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM

5) iso for danny

Number 5, iso for Danny, was interesting.

Tyler was in the near corner and Danny waived him off twice before Tyler finally went to the other corner. Then Danny did his iso and threw a desperate pass attempt to Collison that failed just before the shot clocked expired.

I'm thinking Tyler would have done a lot better with that possession if he had gotten the ball in the corner.

Now, I hope Tyler was supposed to be in the other corner and that's why Granger waived him off. If not, I'm upset.

xIndyFan
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
See: Matt Gieger IND-PHI 2000

i sat right behind his mom and dad at MSA one series. his dad looks just like him. :D

Kemo
04-16-2011, 08:39 PM
I swear nbatv makes me so mad... nba gametime started at 6:30 and the ONLY damn playoff series they have covered over the last 2 freaking hours is miami /sixers..

It is pi$$ing me off ..

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I swear nbatv makes me so mad... nba gametime started at 6:30 and the ONLY damn playoff series they have covered over the last 2 freaking hours is miami /sixers..

It is pi$$ing me off ..

They covered the Pacers/Bulls game for like 2 hours, it was actually getting annoying.

pwee31
04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
After the Hansbrough and 1 dunk I looked at my g/f and said 2 more scores and this game is over.

The Pacers hit one free throw from that point sadly. I was still comfortable actually, up until the Korver 3. The Pacers had made plays all game long, so I figured it was there day. When the Korver 3 went down, I knew the game was over, even with 45 seconds left.

I was pretty depressed really, Granger had a great 2nd half and played well, Hansbrough played well, Collison played well, Price hit shots, Rush hit a couple shots. Deng struggled, Boozer was in foul trouble and struggled, and we still lost the game.

The Bulls really hit big shots that kept the Pacers from busting it open. Deng hit a couple big 3's. Korver had his shooting stroke unfortunately. Rose got to the free throw line. A game that looked like it was meant to be for the Pacers, ended up being meant to be for the Bulls. That's hard to swallow.

I will say that if Rose is required to go for near 40 to beat the Pacers, this will be a fun series, and the Bulls will get beat by the Hawks or Magic in the next round

croz24
04-16-2011, 08:47 PM
inexcusable loss. i don't care if you are the last place team, you just do not blow 8 point leads late in the game. but, that pretty much sums up the last 3 years for the pacers and our lack of an on the court leader. we have some very good young players that should become a great core for quite a while. however, certain other players just need to go imo.

CableKC
04-16-2011, 08:56 PM
After the Hansbrough and 1 dunk I looked at my g/f and said 2 more scores and this game is over.

The Pacers hit one free throw from that point sadly. I was still comfortable actually, up until the Korver 3. The Pacers had made plays all game long, so I figured it was there day. When the Korver 3 went down, I knew the game was over, even with 45 seconds left.

I was pretty depressed really, Granger had a great 2nd half and played well, Hansbrough played well, Collison played well, Price hit shots, Rush hit a couple shots. Deng struggled, Boozer was in foul trouble and struggled, and we still lost the game.

The Bulls really hit big shots that kept the Pacers from busting it open. Deng hit a couple big 3's. Korver had his shooting stroke unfortunately. Rose got to the free throw line. A game that looked like it was meant to be for the Pacers, ended up being meant to be for the Bulls. That's hard to swallow.

I will say that if Rose is required to go for near 40 to beat the Pacers, this will be a fun series, and the Bulls will get beat by the Hawks or Magic in the next round
Deng didn't really look to score but when his number was called he hit several key shots with Granger guarding him.

CableKC
04-16-2011, 09:03 PM
inexcusable loss. i don't care if you are the last place team, you just do not blow 8 point leads late in the game. but, that pretty much sums up the last 3 years for the pacers and our lack of an on the court leader. we have some very good young players that should become a great core for quite a while. however, certain other players just need to go imo.
I know that this loss stings, but I dont look at it as much as the Pacers doing everything wrong in the last 4 minutes of the game ( and therefore it was their fault they lost ), but that the Bulls did the same exact thing they did in our previous game and for the whole season....their defense totally locked us down at the end and we had no answer for DRose. I don't like that we lost, but this was IMHO one of those situations where the better team won in the end. Despite the loss, the Pacers showed the naysayers that we weren't going to roll over and actually came out and competed for 45 minutes. I know that the last 3 minutes that count but the youngins actually did quite well, I'm proud of what they did tonite.

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2011, 09:03 PM
i sat right behind his mom and dad at MSA one series. his dad looks just like him. :D
I had 2nd row for that series and he landed on me going out of bounds early in game 1 (I think, maybe 2). Being the sort that believes in repping the city as good natured basketball fans I said "Are you okay? Good hustle man" as he climbed back out of the seats.

A few games later he pulled his crap on Reggie and I thought "man, I coulda give you a full on nutz shot if I'd known this was going to happen"

PS - I never knew the refs had pockets on those game slacks, let alone that there was stuff in those pockets. Geiger lept and landed directly into me (ouch) but in doing so he kicked over the beers the guys in front of me had. So the ref walks over, pulls out a wad of cash and buys them all new ones. No kidding.

Me, all I got was Geiger sweat and some face time on the broadcast. Meh.

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Deng didn't really look to score but when his number was called he hit several key shots with Granger guarding him.

Yes. Deng "struggled" while hitting better than 50% from the floor...beating his scoring average...and grabbing 10 rebounds....and had enough time to shut down Granger in the 4th period. Fact is, he at the very least played Danny even.

I hope Deng doesn't come out of his funk or we will be in serious trouble.

Slick Pinkham
04-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Wade may have been the "best" player on the team, but he wasn't the best player on that team. That team won because of Shaq not Wade.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, at least for the playoffs. Wade killing Mavs defenders off the dribble, getting in the paint, scoring, or drawing fouls was the one advantage the Heat milked all the way to an NBA title.

As to today's game, I not into moral victories anyway, and a 16-1 run, likely the worst playoff collapse in the 45 year history of a proud franchise, makes me even less happy about the result.

Sollozzo
04-16-2011, 09:05 PM

What comments? I've been googling and can't find what you're referring to.

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, at least for the playoffs. Wade killing Mavs defenders off the dribble, getting in the paint, scoring, or drawing fouls was the one advantage the Heat milked all the way to an NBA title.

As to today's game, I not into moral victories anyway, and a 16-1 run, likely the worst playoff collapse in the 45 year history of a proud franchise, makes me even less happy about the result.

I'd prefer to give the credit to Shaq in that title run, but it was clear that DWade got the ring. Shaq was needed to get it. But DWade was the more important piece, particularly in the playoffs.

KingGeorge
04-16-2011, 09:13 PM
What comments? I've been googling and can't find what you're referring to.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2011/eastseries1/index.html?g=1&t=v

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2011, 09:17 PM
They covered the Pacers/Bulls game for like 2 hours, it was actually getting annoying.
I agree. Today was a pretty good day for the Pacers overall. The made a very nice showing, the post game stuff had Danny's funny "ex girlfriend stalker" line paired with literally no tolerance for positive spin from him (we lost, period), Vogel sounded great in the timeout cut-ins (good coaching I mean), and the coverage afterward was pretty good in terms of Pacers highlights and opinions of their effort.

Buck - nice job on that video breakdown, that's my kind of analysis. I hate the "they never....he never...he didn't..." stuff from people when it can blatantly be shown to be false.

The best part of NBA ball happens in the 10-15 seconds before the shot when the teams are actually running and setting up plays. When you rewind knowing the final outcome of the play and track how a guy got to where he got, then you see how teams really won or lost a game.

BTW, I thought the Pacers defended the PnR pretty well today. Rose made some very tough splits and narrowly avoided a couple of charges. This felt like an outing that the Pacers could repeat. No one did anything I thought was outside of their normal game.

I've already admitted it before, but Tyler as a mid-jumper threat is a killer. I trust that shot and count on that shot. He has not become the power forward people thought (which I argued against) but he has become a great hybrid oversized SF. His lateral quickness gives the taller or bulkier PFs fits and he can still be safely switched to the SFs without getting killed.

He's not a banger but he's a fighter and that works just as well. I credit his work ethic to dial that shot in.

BTW, since people think I never trash Josh, it seems clear to me that for the last 3 weeks or so he's been struggling. He's lost several tough rebounds and had his shot stuffed at the rim many times recently. His game is out of character and I wonder if he's got a leg issue that's not being disclosed.

The hops part of his game is down about 6 inches. As a fanboy it stands out to me, there are many classic Josh plays that he's not been making lately and that hurts the team in a series matched up against an athletic front line.

Other than Josh I thought everyone else brought what's become their standard games...when they are on I mean. This felt like a classic quality representation of what this group is about.

imawhat
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Josh has a knee injury. I think someone in the know has reported that recently. I actually think he looks better, athletically, than he looked about three weeks ago.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Josh has a knee injury. I think someone in the know has reported that recently. I actually think he looks better, athletically, than he looked about three weeks ago.

Those mistakes he is making are not because of injury, he is looking frustrated, I think his age shows sometimes, to me him and Dunleavy were the worst players today.

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2011, 09:28 PM
It seems obvious to me that at some point you absolutely put DJones in to defend Rose. He'll get 4 fouls getting up on Rose and pushing him around the court. You'll have to risk DC or AJ being switched to a big SG like Korver, but since they mostly run him off screens anyway it's more about keeping up and denying him the ball than him stepping into you and shooting over you.

Pippen just ruined Jax life when Phil pulled this trick. You have to bully the basketball when the entire team lives by what the PG can get started, like the 98-2000 Pacers or the current Bulls.

And I'm not talking about hard fouls and putting him on the floor. I'm talking about handing that size and strength right back at him. He'll still go to quickness but without as much space it won't be as effective.

And I think Vogel will do this without having to read here at PD to come up with the idea. :)

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Didn't hear that. Like I said, it's obvious. A buddy of mine only goes to a few games and he asked me if he was running funny at the Atlanta game.

He's still able to do some things, but it's derailed a majority of his game. It's like all his stuff is based off of knowing he has the hops as a go-to weapon. I think it's impacting his shooting and passing because he appears to be thinking "well I can't do this other thing....", like he's ultra aware of the missing component to his game.

Lord help us if Tyler wakes up dizzy tomorrow too. I'm sure we all thought that 2 seconds into that play. Anything but a shot to the head like that for Tyler.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
It seems obvious to me that at some point you absolutely put DJones in to defend Rose. He'll get 4 fouls getting up on Rose and pushing him around the court. You'll have to risk DC or AJ being switched to a big SG like Korver, but since they mostly run him off screens anyway it's more about keeping up and denying him the ball than him stepping into you and shooting over you.

Pippen just ruined Jax life when Phil pulled this trick. You have to bully the basketball when the entire team lives by what the PG can get started, like the 98-2000 Pacers or the current Bulls.

And I'm not talking about hard fouls and putting him on the floor. I'm talking about handing that size and strength right back at him. He'll still go to quickness but without as much space it won't be as effective.

And I think Vogel will do this without having to read here at PD to come up with the idea. :)

PG did an excellent job on Rose for some stretches, but I agree, I'd like to see DJones out there..however..I don't mind giving PG that job at the start of the game.

He looked nervous to me. He was the only one that looked like he had a nerves problem. Well, him and Dun (surprisingly.)

I think we learned some really good things about Hans, DC, Price, and Roy today. Particularly our PGs, who went up against the MVP today, and came out looking pretty good. DC was outstanding through stretches, and even though he went a little nutty at a few times, the fact that he played as well as he did is a win for the Pacers. I'll say it again, first playoff game ever..second year point guard..going up against the league MVP. I don't care about his mistakes, his poor defense ect..he was fantastic today. Price was good too, he hit some "big" (would have been big if we won) shots, and was in general his solid self that I expect from him..(which he wasn't for most of this year..he was so up and down) but DC turned on the jets and upped his game.

I secretly thought those two were going to struggle more than anyone this game. And they really showed up. Lets hope they keep it up for the rest of the series.

Also, I don't think Josh is a good matchup for the Bulls. They are the kind of guys he struggles against. (Strong, physical work horses) but I think he's a smart enough player to figure it out and adjust.

imawhat
04-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Josh? He always plays well against the Bulls. He's had some of his best career games/impact games against Chicago.

In Jim O'Brien's last game, the Bulls announcers were openly questioning Jim's decision to bench Josh for extended minutes in the 4th. Josh also was our only answer for Tyrus Thomas a couple years back.

Sookie
04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Josh? He always plays well against the Bulls. He's had some of his best career games/impact games against Chicago.

In Jim O'Brien's last game, the Bulls announcers were openly questioning Jim's decision to bench Josh for extended minutes in the 4th. Josh also was our only answer for Tyrus Thomas a couple years back.

Really? Hmm..I must be remembering wrong. Just from looking at them, it seemed like a bad matchup for Josh, but maybe I'm wrong.

JBones19
04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
"Total FT attempts today with all 4 teams playing equally hard: 71 (Chicago/Miami) to 32 (Indy/Philly). That's embarrassing"

-Bill Simmons Twitter

At least someone in the national media takes note. If we get as many FT attempts as the Bulls did today we win the game. Violet Palmer and Joey Crawford won't be in attendance Monday night right?

BlueNGold
04-16-2011, 09:58 PM
"Total FT attempts today with all 4 teams playing equally hard: 71 (Chicago/Miami) to 32 (Indy/Philly). That's embarrassing"

-Bill Simmons Twitter

At least someone in the national media takes note. If we get as many FT attempts as the Bulls did today we win the game. Violet Palmer and Joey Crawford won't be in attendance Monday night right?

It is embarrassing. You can argue the truth of it, but when that happens the public is still going to be turned off by it. No one really believes that Miami and Chicago just happen to foul so much less they get well over double the free throw attempts.

Slick Pinkham
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
rotoworld has a pretty harsh assessment:

"Granger heat checks cost Pacers Game 1.

Danny Granger scored 24 points on 10-of-20 shooting (4-of-8 from downtown) with six rebounds, three assists, one steal, and one block as the Pacers lost control of the game late and lost to the Bulls in Game 1 on Saturday.

It was a typical Granger outing, as each made shot emboldened him to take the next one, but ultimately his one-man freelancing act killed his team down the stretch. Because his teammates have no faith that he will do the right thing with the ball, any semblance of offensive framework goes out the window once Granger starts pounding the rock."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/159644/granger-heat-checks-cost-pacers-game-1

croz24
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
It is embarrassing. You can argue the truth of it, but when that happens the public is still going to be turned off by it. No one really believes that Miami and Chicago just happen to foul so much less they get well over double the free throw attempts.

forget the refs. the embarrassment is blowing a game in which you led 47minutes and by 10 with less than 4 minutes left. THAT'S embarrassment...

BringJackBack
04-16-2011, 10:57 PM
rotoworld has a pretty harsh assessment:

"Granger heat checks cost Pacers Game 1.

Danny Granger scored 24 points on 10-of-20 shooting (4-of-8 from downtown) with six rebounds, three assists, one steal, and one block as the Pacers lost control of the game late and lost to the Bulls in Game 1 on Saturday.

It was a typical Granger outing, as each made shot emboldened him to take the next one, but ultimately his one-man freelancing act killed his team down the stretch. Because his teammates have no faith that he will do the right thing with the ball, any semblance of offensive framework goes out the window once Granger starts pounding the rock."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/159644/granger-heat-checks-cost-pacers-game-1

:eek:

Croz..is that you?

AesopRockOn
04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I think Rose earned every free throw he took. Thing is, we earned a lot more attempts than we received. I'd say about six or seven.

Whoever wrote that for Rotoworld might be the ex girlfriend Danny was referencing.

kidthecat
04-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll be brief here.

Haven't felt this excitement in years, like many of you. I couldn't even sleep well last night.

Great, great effort by a young team. While I deemed the Pacers able to get one or two in this series, I thoroughly expected them to be blown out in their debut game. As it was, this never happened; it was like seeing them grow up before my own eyes.

Some of you guys are too harsh on Danny. He definitely came to play today. The only questionable shot of the second half was the "heat check" many of you are referencing.

One of the best things about the playoffs is the individual identity and feel of each game. I can't wait to see which adjustments are made next and who steps up.

croz24
04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
:eek:

Croz..is that you?

no, but it seems that only pacers fans would disagree with those statements. there's a reason we fold 95% of the time in late-game situations. how pacers fans can argue this i have no idea. i mean, someone on here honestly believes a granger strength is his off ball movement. seriously? granger is not a bad player. he just has no business being our designated leader taking shots late in the game.

i'm extremely pissed we blew a game we should have won. why are many of you content with this loss??? we led 47 freaking minutes and were up 10 with less than 4 remaining before we did our usual choke-job. oh i'm so happy we played them tight. bull ****. you HAVE to win these games! oh but our players are getting so much experience. how? by choking away 95% of our close games versus decent teams? it is never ok to blow games like this. and the reason we consistently do is because we have no leader. that's just the truth.

LA_Confidential
04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Anyone who doesnt see the Pacers performance today as a good thing is just plain silly. A lot of people were predicting a deer in the headlights game but in stead they took it to the Bulls.

If Rose has to play Hero Ball then the Bulls are screwed. We are a team on the Rise, Just like OKC vs the Lakers last year and the Bulls vs the Celtics two years ago. And we've got cap space coming. :homerdrool:

Sookie
04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
no, but it seems that only pacers fans would disagree with those statements. there's a reason we fold 95% of the time in late-game situations. how pacers fans can argue this i have no idea. i mean, someone on here honestly believes a granger strength is his off ball movement. seriously? granger is not a bad player. he just has no business being our designated leader taking shots late in the game.

The Danny Iso doesn't work. That's pretty obvious. Nor does the DC Iso, or the AJ Iso, or the TJ Iso..the Paul George Iso has probably had the best success..but..just...bad idea right now.

We need some set, go to plays..probably in the post (give it to Roy or Hans)..and team play to get a quality shot. Like what we did the entire game.

CableKC
04-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes. Deng "struggled" while hitting better than 50% from the floor...beating his scoring average...and grabbing 10 rebounds....and had enough time to shut down Granger in the 4th period. Fact is, he at the very least played Danny even.

I hope Deng doesn't come out of his funk or we will be in serious trouble.
With Boozer and DRose, his role was simply to defend Granger. He was very active and did a good job of crowding him on the defensive end. Scoring was just icing on the cake. In the 1st half, the Bulls did a good job of taking him out of the game.

Phree Refill
04-16-2011, 11:20 PM
From strictly a feelings standpoint, losing this game in the manner we did hurt really bad. This is perhaps the toughest type of game possible to come back from. I feel like if we would have got blown out Vogel could at least tell the players they didn't play their best and we could definitely improve the next game. Unfortunately, I feel like we played a near perfect game and it still wasn't enough to beat the Bulls. Gonna be very very tough to get the guys to start out the next game like they did today.

But I am very happy that our guys get this bitter taste in their mouths. Just imagine how motivated the players will be next season if we do get swept but every game is like the one today. You can't practice heartbreak and it is one of the strongest motivators our players could possibly have. Larry is right. Our guys are going to learn more in the next week than they did all year. We'll be pretty dangerous next season.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I have re-watched the entire game and there were probably a half dozen times when Rose was fouled goingo the basket and it wasn't called

DTheKing23
04-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Have I mentioned I hate Chicago- the REAL mistake by the lake?

That title still goes to my hometown of Erie PA

rock747
04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Lets be honest though.... Rose is going to get more calls than an average nba player.... He shot more free throws than the pacers did i hear that correctly?? That's ridiculous. I hate how the NBA aids stars in this way.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:31 PM

I disagree. Players who play the style that rose, Lebron and Wade play get fouled a ton and not every foul is called. the great players are great because they are impoissible to guard and when a player is impossible to guard, they get fouled a lot

Jon Theodore
04-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Great game! You have to be excited about this team going forward.

vnzla81
04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
I have re-watched the entire game and thee were probably a half dozen times when Rose was fouled goingo the basket and it wasn't called

Yep I was thinking the same thing.

Anthem
there's a reason we fold 95% of the time in late-game situations.
83.7% of stats are made up, including this one.

Unclebuck
This is what I as talking about. Vogel must make up his mind whether he wants to win this thing or not. IF he does, then he must put Rose on the floor.

I disagree, the last thing we need to do is foul Rose more often, what we need to do is bring the second defender to help on Rose before he gets into the lane, once he gets ino the lane itis too late. The team that beats the Bullsin the playoffs is the team that does that the best/

idioteque
04-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I disagree. Players who play the style that rose, Lebron and Wade play get fouled a ton and not every foul is called. the great players are great because they are impoissible to guard and when a player is impossible to guard, they get fouled a lot

There is an idea that every time a player gets into the lane and barrels into a defender that he's entitled to two free throws. It's not true. Even though games are called much tighter today then they were 15 years ago, you're not going to get all of those calls. In my opinion guys still get that call too much. There are of course many cases where it is warranted, but also many where it is not.

King Tuts Tomb
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
The Pacers threw some really soft double teams at Rose today. What's the point of doubling if you're not gonna make him give it up?

croz24
04-16-2011, 11:41 PM
83.7% of stats are made up, including this one.

you're right anthem. like always. there's no such thing as hyperbole. although that 95% number is probably pretty damn close. you think your ego will ever allow you to thank another's post?

15th parallel
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Just want to say that:

- Tyler Hansbrough >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carlos Boozer. It's just one game, but ultimately everybody who said Boozer will dismantle Tyler ate some crow today. Plus, he has a heart of a warrior. He inspired me, and regardless of the outcome of the series, he's definitely a keeper.

- Danny have played well. Danny didn't deserve all the negative remarks I've seen around here. He shot 50%, and made 4 3's in just 8 attempts, and have played well on both ends. And he was the reason we we're hanging around in the lead on the 2nd half. And yeah, what he said about the Bulls last time became true (Rose needed to score about 40 points just to save Chicago's a$$es and win by just 5, and yeah the P's have a good chance of winning against them).

- Disappointing loss, but I think this is the first step the Pacers needed to take. The game itself is a good motivating material to the players and the coaching staff that they are doing the right things and just need to tweak on some parts of their game, especially putting a man on Korver and not just all collapse on Rose.

- Chicago is exposed a little after this game. I'm seeing Cleveland Cavaliers ver.2.0 marked all over that team. If they're having problems with "an 8th seed with a losing record and not worthy to be in the playoffs" team like the Pacers, then they'll be damned for sure on the next rounds should they win this series.

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:44 PM
The Pacers threw some really soft double teams at Rose today. What's the point of doubling if you're not gonna make him give it up?

I agree with you. Rose is too good for soft double teams, although against most NBA players soft double teams are good , but not Rose. Not sure if the players didn't execute the gameplan or if the plan called for soft double which does allow defenders to recover quicker

Unclebuck
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
OK so WISHTV local channel 8 has a half hour show tonight after the 11 PM news about the Colts. What? It is the middle of April and the there is a 30 minute show about the Colts.

Sandman21
04-17-2011, 12:00 AM
I think that's basically paid programming. Didn't the Pacers have a 30 minute show on Sunday mornings on channel 4 year-around about 10 years ago?

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 12:03 AM
I think that's basically paid programming. Didn't the Pacers have a 30 minute show on Sunday mornings on channel 4 year-around about 10 years ago?

In a sense everything is paid programing

Evan_The_Dude
04-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I think we should be playing Paul George with the 2nd unit. Let Rush start. That way we still get the defense, but we get a little more aggressive with George being the one with the most "ability" off the bench.

rock747
04-17-2011, 01:18 AM

What style is that? NBA superstar? You really don't think NBA stars get preferential treatment? How come these guys didn't get to the line 21 times in college? (aside from those that didnt go)

graphic-er
04-17-2011, 02:16 AM
What style is that? NBA superstar? You really don't think NBA stars get preferential treatment? How come these guys didn't get to the line 21 times in college? (aside from those that didnt go)

I agree, anybody who denies the superstar treatment is just not looking.

How about int he 4th during the Bulls comeback where Rose made that amazing looking spin jump hook floater? There is a poetry in motion video on NBA.com where it shows all of Roses amazing shots in slo-mo. ON that particular play you can clearly see Rose push off Paul George to go into the spin move. That's an offensive foul. Derrick Rose never gets that shot if the officials do their job. Also just like to point out that George recovered amazingly and actually challenge the shot even though Rose pushed him in the total opposite direction.

Now lets look at the other side of the coin. Danny Granger, we have seen numerous times that Granger gets called for pushing off, and many posters on here just dog him over it. Danny Granger is not a superstar, but he would be if the gets the calls that Derrick Rose gets. The officials make the superstars in this league.

I've been watching the NBA TV post game coverage and all they can talk about right now is how the Pacers are complaining about the calls when its really just the greatness of ROSE. Thats BS because ROSE would not have the same impact on the game if the Refs were not predestined to blow the whistle for him. Thats the benefit of being a #1 pick.

jeffg-body
04-17-2011, 02:22 AM
My only gripe about the refs were three times they blew the whistle before contact was even made on Rose.

graphic-er
04-17-2011, 02:29 AM
I have re-watched the entire game and there were probably a half dozen times when Rose was fouled goingo the basket and it wasn't called

Did you also see the half dozen times he got away with a charge or an offensive foul? Or how about mugging DC.

Midcoasted
04-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Definitely 8 vs 5 today. For the people that say "well we could have done this or that different blah blah blah." How do you stop Rose then? Dive on the floor and get out of his way? He initiates the contact and we get the foul called on us? Sure we fouled him hard and often. But I'd say at least 4 of the calls were bs and I knew Joey Crawford wouldn't let us win this game, and don't even get me started on Violet Palmer... This is all that needs to be discussed. Until the NBA changes its ways and stops giving unfair treatment for superstars it should be considered more like the WWF and less like a real sport.

Oh and the Vogel technical, that was clearly a foul on D Rose. If he runs into the lane and spins and jukes every which way into one of our players it is a foul everytime. Then he clearly fouls Collison and no call? I'm literally just sickened at this late hour still. We won this game if it weren't for bs superstar treatment. It needs to change.

I'm looking forward to a different ref crew next game and hopefully Larry can use his pull to at least get this thing called fair. We as Indiana Pacer fans should not be happy with what we saw today. It really doesn't matter if we win or lose, I just want a level playing field. What we saw today was not level. I expect home court calls, but they took it to a level beyond that. They still could have sent Rose to the line 14 times in a fair game, but we woulda won. Get it? The other 7 or so trips were just beyond questionable and it's a pill I've never been able to swallow as a fan.

And the non-calls were just as bad as the phantom fouls. I'm looking at you Stern.

Midcoasted
04-17-2011, 04:53 AM

I really think you and I are polar opposites. I'd call those good non calls and I think if Rose is initiating the contact it should be an offensive foul. You can't do a lighting quick spin move into someone three feet away before they can even react and call it a defensive foul. What about established position? Does it go bye bye for Rose and they let him spin into whoever he wants?

I'd say there were 4 fouls the refs should have never called and we win this thing.

righteouscool
04-17-2011, 05:13 AM

Did you watch and notice how many times a Pacer was fouled and it wasn't called too? My complaint with officiating is how many offensive fouls Rose commits. What can a defender do when their feet are set, their arms are straight up, and Rose jumps into them?

For the record, I don't think it's worth complaining about refs. I learned at a young age watching the Pacer's in the finals it's not worth crying over. You've got to be good enough to win regardless.

Midcoasted
04-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Did you watch and notice how many times a Pacer was fouled and it wasn't called too? My complaint with officiating is how many offensive fouls Rose commits. What can a defender do when their feet are set, their arms are straight up, and Rose jumps into them?

For the record, I don't think it's worth complaining about refs. I learned at a young age watching the Pacer's in the finals it's not worth crying over. You've got to be good enough to win regardless.

And thats why the NBA is wrong and has seen a dwindling fanbase. Stern needs to go. The writing is on the wall.

King Tuts Tomb
04-17-2011, 06:40 AM
And thats why the NBA is wrong and has seen a dwindling fanbase. Stern needs to go. The writing is on the wall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6363575

"And let's be perfectly clear on something, when attendance is up for the seventh consecutive season, when television ratings are up 38 percent on ABC, 28 percent on ESPN and 42 percent on TNT, when video views on NBA.com are up 140 percent from a year ago, when global merchandise sales are up 20 percent in the past 12 months, there can be no question that business is booming."

King Tuts Tomb
04-17-2011, 06:50 AM
My complaint with officiating is how many offensive fouls Rose commits. What can a defender do when their feet are set, their arms are straight up, and Rose jumps into them?

I'm actually amazed at how little Rose commits offensive fouls. His body control as he's leaving his feet is outrageous. He always finds a way to sidestep the defender and avoid the offensive foul.

I do agree that he gets some sketchy foul calls though. On one drive in particular he jumped into Hibbert who played it perfectly and kept his arms straight up.

TheDon
04-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I think it's reasons like the superstar treatment that I never minded when Reggie "flopped" to get a foul call cause he sure as hell was never going to be getting the superstar call to go his way. I don't like players flopping, but I definately understand it in that regard. I sure do wish we still had Reggie. It always cracked me up when people were afraid to get within 5 feet of him cause he would kick those legs out and kick some opposing player in the air to draw the foul.

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 09:17 AM

No, attacking, driving to the basket with great athleticism when a player does that they will get a lot of fre throw attempts.

Unclebuck
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Did you also see the half dozen times he got away with a charge or an offensive foul? Or how about mugging DC.

I didn't see his offensive fouls, he is great at sliding over and going around stationary defenders, he's like Jordan doing that

ksuttonjr76
04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Really? Hmm..I must be remembering wrong. Just from looking at them, it seemed like a bad matchup for Josh, but maybe I'm wrong.

Nah. I remember the commentary from that game when they was questioning JOB not putting Josh back in. If you go back to the game thread, I even spoke on it a couple of times.

EDIT: NOW, I really remember. It was the game where Josh was having a great game, but it was the game where he got dunked on when JOB FINALLY put him back in the game. Bascially, the dunk "erased" everything that Josh was doing good up until that moment.

ksuttonjr76
04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Personally, I don't want to completely blame the refs. I thought the refs made better calls in the 2nd half, then the 1st half. David Stern probably made the call, and let the refs know that we have another potential Bulls vs. Celtics series going WITH a good storyline.

# 1 Seed with the presumed MVP
# 8 Seed with a young, rookie coach for a team entering the playoffs after 5 years
Indiana the only team to have a Game 7 against the Championship Bulls
Jordan vs. Miller angle
A potential # 8 upset of the # 1
Can Rose maintain his performance to take his team past the Pacers?
Psycho T arguably being the most decorated college player ever

Honestly, I can see the calls getting BETTER in order to extend this series, if the games remain competitive each time. The only questionable calls for me was when Granger was mugged on a drive and the traveling call on Collison. If we get blown out in one those games.....

McKeyFan
04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Number 5, iso for Danny, was interesting.

Tyler was in the near corner and Danny waived him off twice before Tyler finally went to the other corner. Then Danny did his iso and threw a desperate pass attempt to Collison that failed just before the shot clocked expired.

I'm thinking Tyler would have done a lot better with that possession if he had gotten the ball in the corner.

Now, I hope Tyler was supposed to be in the other corner and that's why Granger waived him off. If not, I'm upset.
Still waiting for someone to comment on this.

Hicks
04-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Uh, the Bulls already came to play.

Hicks
04-17-2011, 12:14 PM

I read it the opposite of how you did. I think someone said he got cooked, and this is him defending himself.

Hicks
04-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Yep, same old Pacers these days. What with making the playoffs, playing out of their minds the vast majority of the game, and coming way closer to beating the #1 seeded, 62 win team on their home floor than anyone ever thought they would come. Yep, same old, same old.

Hicks
04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
forget the refs. the embarrassment is blowing a game in which you led 47minutes and by 10 with less than 4 minutes left. THAT'S embarrassment...

You don't even think this team deserved to play this game, yet now your standards are raised so high that this game disappointed and upset you? Get a reality check, man.

Justin Tyme
04-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Why don't you come out and say who you mean when we all know who you are referring to. You've been advocating to trade him for 3 years now.