View Full Version : 1st ESPN Power Rankings Are Out

purdue101
10-04-2004, 05:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2005&week=-1

of course the pacers get snubbed again.

ChicagoJ
10-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Here's all that matters:

1 (3) :pistons: 54-28 You know by now the treatment defending champs get here. Especially when their roster looks better now, with Dice and Delfino, than it did in June.
2 (1) :spurs: 57-25 Pop says he 'hated' the Shaq trade because beating the three-peaters was the ultimate challenge. The bet here is he'll get over it once these Spurs start rolling.
3 (2) :timberwolves: 58-24 No one doubts them in the playoffs any more. The doubts are all about Cassell's hip, because Sam I Am absolutely has to be healthy for Minny to stay up here.
4 (14) :heat: 42-40 The committee has always found South Beach to be a bit overrated. But that was before it became Shaq-apulco.
5 (4) :pacers: 61-21 Yup. That really is three teams from the East in the top five. And, yes, Pacer People: Your arguably underrated squad has to be third out of three after the clear upgrades in Detroit and Miami.
6 (9) :nuggets: 43-39 It's a big jump up here, true, but Nuggets' frontcourt rotation really is one of the biggest and best. K-Mart, Camby, Nene . . . and Melo? Solid.

ChicagoJ
10-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I think that looks about right. Its debatable whether we or Miami should be #4, but I still can't imagine this Pacers team beating a team with Shaq and Wade in a seven-game series.

purdue101
10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
the pistons destroyed the lakers when shaq had kobe, payton, malone, and a pretty deep bench. now all he has are wade and eddie jones. how does that make miami a better team, considering we could have arguably beaten the pistons had we been heatlhy?

DisplacedKnick
10-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I dunno - I'd still rate Indy ahead of Miami because of depth - the Pacers can handle injuries much better than the Heat.

As for the Knicks, he talks about "the usual glut of undersized PF's".

Huh? The only PF's we have left are KT and Sweetney though Vin and Nazr could both play there. Maybe JYD too.

Our glut's in the backcourt.

And in non-defenders.

purdue101
10-04-2004, 05:35 PM
imo, espn makes some pretty bold moves with these power rankings. they have seattle as the second worst team in the league, behind teams like the hawks and clippers. seattle was decent last year and now they have collison back who will help quite a bit at PF. they also have the warriors in the top half of the league and the nets are pretty high too considering kidd is out and k-mart is in denver.

purdue101
10-04-2004, 05:39 PM
miami lost their entire depth at the forward spots to pick up shaq. it's funny, b/c indy undoubtedly has the best starting forward duo in the league in j.o. and artest.

wade is a great player, but if shaq can't dominate with kobe, payton, malone and a good bench. he's not going to do it with wade and no bench.

i'm not worried about miami at all. i still feel indy or detroit is coming out of the east. miami just has no depth up front whatsoever.

ChicagoJ
10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Depth usually doesn't matter in a playoff series. Its only quasi-important because the regular season is 82 games long.

If Miami has the two best players on the court, and those are the Pacers' two weakest positions, defensively, then they'll have a good chance to beat us.

purdue101
10-04-2004, 05:49 PM
are you saying wade is better than both j.o. and artest???

ChicagoJ
10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm saying, playing against the Pacers backcourt, Wade *could* be the second-best player in that series.

It's not whether Wade is better than JO or Artest (he's clearly not as good a JO and Ron is probably a better player than Wade before considering the important question of 'where is Ron's brain today?'.

Its all about matchups. Heck, a case could be made that Wade was the best player on the court during last seasons Pacers/Heat matchup.

Of course, I think it was JO's ability to command Miami's gimmicky, swarming defense that ultimately made the difference last May. And now, Miami will just be able to play JO straight up with Shaq. Ron was able to take advantage of the leftover scraps - leaving him unguarded - last year, now Miami can play JO straight up and also defend Ron straight-up. Shaq changes many things.

Hicks
10-04-2004, 06:56 PM
I think that looks about right. Its debatable whether we or Miami should be #4, but I still can't imagine this Pacers team beating a team with Shaq and Wade in a seven-game series.

I can; they're not going to be a great (or possibly even that good) defensive team (until they prove to me otherwise).

Hicks
10-04-2004, 06:58 PM
And who cares if they play Ron straight up? They don't have anyone who's going to lock him down. And I like JO on Shaq; JO has the speed advantage, and can hit hooks and fadeaways periodically as well. I think JO will still get most of his on O.

SoupIsGood
10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't consider being ranked fifth getting snubbed. Go Pacers!

Ultimate Frisbee
10-04-2004, 07:10 PM
As always, the first rankings suck... I expect major changes after the first few weeks unfold...

Suaveness
10-04-2004, 07:53 PM
As always, people at ESPN are stupid. Their loss. I know the Pacers are better than Miami, and I honestly believe we are better than Detroit. But that's just me. I don't work for ESPN.

Lord Helmet
10-04-2004, 08:04 PM
ESPN is stupid.Why you ask?Well last Saturday they said the Jaguars could make the SuperBowl with their D.

Slick Pinkham
10-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Wade missed 20 games last year with many different injuries.

Shaq missed 14 games for the 3rd year in a row.

Their only 2 decent players aren't exactly ironmen.

pollardfreek
10-04-2004, 10:02 PM
W's at 15? Sweet. :cool:

SoupIsGood
10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
How could you have known I wear panties?

TheSauceMaster
10-05-2004, 03:57 AM
How could you have known I wear panties?

Close your blinds.

Another Classic btowncolt quote :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

fwpacerfan
10-05-2004, 09:13 AM
... And now, Miami will just be able to play JO straight up with Shaq. Ron was able to take advantage of the leftover scraps - leaving him unguarded - last year, now Miami can play JO straight up and also defend Ron straight-up. Shaq changes many things.

Shaq will guard JO STRAIGHT UP!? The only way Shaq can guard JO straight up is if JO is dumb enough to try to overpower him. JO is more than a little quicker than Shaq is. I don't think Shaq would guard JO for more than 15 minutes a game.