PDA

View Full Version : NBA Cancels Summer League

The Sleeze
04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6344031&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The NBA, facing the possibility of a work stoppage, has canceled this year's Las Vegas summer league and will not run its annual college internship program, the New York Daily News reported, citing league sources.

NBA Labor Negotiations

The NBA owners and NBPA are negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement, with the possibility of a lockout looming.

The league is also not sending any teams to Europe for training camp and has not scheduled any preseason games there, according to the report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union expires June 30 and there have not been formal talks between the two sides in months.

The summer league usually starts in July, while the internship program, at the league offices in New York and the league's entertainment division in Secaucus, N.J., lasts 10 weeks, according to the report.

The NBA, which says more than half of its teams are losing money, has proposed instituting a hard salary cap, as well as shorter contract lengths and non-guaranteed deals.

Last month, union executive director Billy Hunter said a hard cap would effectively end guaranteed contracts. "We've had that right for years, and it's not something we're trying to give up," he said.

NuffSaid
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
That applies to Vegas summer league and pre-season Euro play. There was no mention of Orlando's Summer League ending which the Pacers, Magic, Bulls and Philly participate in. So, I'm wondering if ALL summer league play will be terminated pending a new CBA or if only the "big wig" Vegas summer league is nixed?

IUfan4life
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
It is going to be a dark, dark October, and November, and December

The Sleeze
04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
That applies to Vegas summer league and pre-season Euro play. There was no mention of Orlando's Summer League ending which the Pacers, Magic, Bulls and Philly participate in. So, I'm wondering if ALL summer league play will be terminated pending a new CBA or if only the "big wig" Vegas summer league is nixed?

I don't know. You figure if they just cancel one league then that would give the teams in Orlando an unfair advantage in terms of player development.

Brad8888
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall except for the speculation about what is going to happen with the CBA and what teams are going to suffer for it, and which teams are going to be contracted, if any.

Somebody needs to come up with some new games to play for us to pass the time while we wait...

wintermute
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM

As I understand it, there won't be any contact between teams and players once the CBA expires, so those are no go too. I think the draft is the last league organized activity before the CBA expires.

Doddage
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
This sucks. I always looked forward to this in July.

Will Galen
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall.......

And winter.

Brad8888
04-13-2011, 12:24 PM
And winter.

Isn't that what the NFL is for? A diversion when there is downtime for the NBA?

Wait...

:(

The NHL? :laugh:

There is always Oprah, who is now her OWN network! That way we all can learn about ourselves and how to become even more dysfunctional than we already are and feel better about ourselves until we realize that we are trapped in a vicious repetitive cycle that we need help with that, conveniently, the OWN network can further educate us about!

Or not...:(:blush::confused::-o:):cool:

Youtube!!!!!!!! :happydanc

Lou Bega
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
This is a shame for the likes of Matt Howard/ Ben Hansbrough type of player.

Smoothdave1
04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I think you'll see an influx of players participating in Pro Am leagues. As some of you may know, Indy has a Pro Am league with NBA & college participation, which is run by Carlos Knox. I know I've seen guys like George Hill, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon, Josh McRoberts, etc. all participate. I think a lot of players will need to play in something to continue to stay in shape and prepare for the season (whenever it may start).

Eindar
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
As I understand it, there won't be any contact between teams and players once the CBA expires, so those are no go too. I think the draft is the last league organized activity before the CBA expires.

This. Last time we had a lockout, coaches and players weren't allowed to interact. That led to Reggie and Mark Jackson organizing their own practices for the team so that they would be in good shape and on the same page when the lockout was over. No way you can have a summer league if there's nobody there to coach.

ballism
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

indeed. no cba > no contracts for rookies > no summer leagues, unless organized by players at their own risk

Sollozzo
04-13-2011, 01:51 PM
It is going to be a dark, dark October, and November, and December

And January, and February, and March....

Naptown_Seth
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall except for the speculation about what is going to happen with the CBA and what teams are going to suffer for it, and which teams are going to be contracted, if any.

Somebody needs to come up with some new games to play for us to pass the time while we wait...
That's what I'm thinking. Look at the excitement of this NFL off season. Yikes.

Draft, FA, summer ball, World Champs - without that it takes forever to get to a new NBA season, and that's if it even starts on time. Sux

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6344031&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

NBA: No decision on summer league

The NBA, responding to a report that its Las Vegas summer league will be canceled due to a potential July 1 shutdown over its labor dispute with players, said it has yet to make a decision on whether the summer games will be played.

"No decision has been made on summer leagues," NBA spokesman Tim Frank told ESPN.com on Wednesday. He declined to discuss the league's timetable for making a decision.

The New York Daily News, citing unnamed league sources, reported Wednesday that the NBA had canceled the Las Vegas summer league as well as its annual college internship program.

The league is also not sending any teams to Europe for training camp and has not scheduled any preseason games there, according to the report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union expires June 30 and there have not been formal talks between the two sides in months.

The NBA's primary summer league has been in Las Vegas in recent years, with a smaller league in Orlando. Both events typically begin in early July.

The NBA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet in New York this week. Collective bargaining negotiations and a likely July 1 lockout are paramount on the agenda.

In talks with the union, the NBA, which says more than half of its teams are losing money, has proposed instituting a hard salary cap, as well as shorter contract lengths and non-guaranteed deals.

Last month, union executive director Billy Hunter said a hard cap would effectively end guaranteed contracts. "We've had that right for years, and it's not something we're trying to give up," he said.

League sources have long speculated that the summer leagues will almost certainly to be a casualty of the labor situation. It takes months to plan the leagues, but they fall just days after an expected lockout would begin. Last year's Orlando league began July 5, and the Las Vegas league kicked off July 9.

travmil
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I think you'll see an influx of players participating in Pro Am leagues. As some of you may know, Indy has a Pro Am league with NBA & college participation, which is run by Carlos Knox. I know I've seen guys like George Hill, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon, Josh McRoberts, etc. all participate. I think a lot of players will need to play in something to continue to stay in shape and prepare for the season (whenever it may start).

This is the first thing I thought of. You might see some really big time players in addition to the local guys in the Indy Pro Am if the summer leagues do end up getting cancelled.

Roaming Gnome
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
This disappoints me more than losing any kind of summer league. If these clowns don't even want to pass proposals before summer it's a safe bet to know that we're not going to sniff NBA basketball before January... if at all next season!

I guess money, games and P.R. have to be lost before any "real & substantial" negotiations will take place! :kickcan:

duke dynamite
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I keep getting closer and closer to getting IU Football and Basketball season ticket packages.

Since86
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I keep getting closer and closer to getting IU Football and Basketball season ticket packages.

I can just kick you in the nuts for cheaper.

Roaming Gnome
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM

That made me laugh... :lol:

Ozwalt72
04-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Rather be kicked in the nuts than have my nuts forced into a salad shooter a la Purdue.

Since86
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Awesome!

The Sleeze
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
IU & Purdue: Where your nuts get mutilated.

My avatar must have just watched one of their football games.

Scot Pollard
04-13-2011, 04:26 PM
The NBA is ****ing up.

They can be doing a lot more from now until the summer, but they're lazy ****s.

The NBA needs new administration especially a new commissioner. David Stern has to be replaced. He doesn't even care anymore and has been here for years.

Time for a change.

Peck
04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
And winter.

Yip, I'm with you. My gut feeling is that ther will not be a 2011/12 season.

wintermute
04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
The NBA is ****ing up.

They can be doing a lot more from now until the summer, but they're lazy ****s.

It's not being lazy. The NBA is being hardline.

They know that when (not if) it goes to a lockout, the players will give in first. Eventually. That's why they're demanding all those concessions from the players. It's not a negotiation. It's a game of chicken.

Cactus Jax
04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah its exactly like the NFL lockout, the owners are just waiting for the players to cave in and decide to take what the league wants eventually.

pacer4ever
04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
This is the first thing I thought of. You might see some really big time players in addition to the local guys in the Indy Pro Am if the summer leagues do end up getting cancelled.

The big names play in a league out in LA

owl
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Yip, I'm with you. My gut feeling is that ther will not be a 2011/12 season.

The issues are so important. However that is no excuse. Yes the season at best will be very short.

El Pacero
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Man I live for Summer League, but thanks for spinning this about potential for Pacers at Pro Am. Sounds weird, but I liked it better when they had it at Broadripple vs IUPUI.

billbradley
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
am i the only one that thinks the players will fold because they live check to check? or does it not matter?

vnzla81
04-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh well, at least we would have a topic to talk about during this down time (Lance) :puke:

kellogg
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
If the Pacers send a summer league team, where will it be?

I know in 2005 they went to Minnesota but they don't have one there anymore...and the last few years I think it was closed to the public and in Orlando.

Anyone know?

Unclebuck
04-14-2011, 09:58 AM
There will be an NBA season. No way the players can sit out a full season.

Mackey_Rose
04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
am i the only one that thinks the players will fold because they live check to check? or does it not matter?

The players' association has been warning them about this for a few years now. They knew it was coming. I'm sure there are some players who are not smart enough to have money put away, but the vast majority will be just fine.

They've prepared.

SMosley21
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
The big names play in a league out in LA

Probably the most famous summer league game ever...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_rD424rjpyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jordan, Reggie, Rodman, Juwan Howard, Eddie Jones, Sam Cassell, Ced Ceballos, Jack Haley, Lasalle Thompson, Horace Grant

Kid Minneapolis
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Time to bring back the XFL and form the XBA. Anyone know if "He Hate Me" is booked?

The Sleeze
04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Forget the XBA, bring back Slamball!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ouXw328WYI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ouXw328WYI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Justin Tyme
04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
The players' association has been warning them about this for a few years now. They knew it was coming. I'm sure there are some players who are not smart enough to have money put away, but the vast majority will be just fine.

They've prepared.

I disagree. Many players live from check to check. It's no different than in the real world. Plus they have their extra family and friends to support as well. The players will cave in.

I posted this once b4. Hoopshype 1/7/2011

Team rep Jared Dudley tweeted after the meeting: "I need all NBA Players to save their money. Be prepared to live without a check for AT LEAST A YEAR. This is serious."

I found this quote on my desk this morning when cleaning it.

Since86
04-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I disagree. Many players live from check to check. It's no different than in the real world. Plus they have their extra family and friends to support as well. The players will cave in.

I posted this once b4. Hoopshype 1/7/2011

Team rep Jared Dudley tweeted after the meeting: "I need all NBA Players to save their money. Be prepared to live without a check for AT LEAST A YEAR. This is serious."

I found this quote on my desk this morning when cleaning it.

If the players can live their lifestyle, for an entire year without having a job, then are they REALLY underpaid?

We have teams in the NBA that are struggling financially, like the Pacers, and the players want more money?

This is why I stay out of labor fueds between millionaires and billionaires. They all suck.