PDA

View Full Version : Huff. Post: "2011 Rookie of the Year goes to..." (George ref.)

imbtyler
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/nba-rookie-of-the-year_n_846184.html

Bonus -- Three underrated rooks nobody talks about but are worth watching for:

Paul George (Indiana) Overcame a rough start this season to show flashes of his colossal talent. In time, he should become a big-time scorer and solid No. 2 option, resulting in a strong wing nucleus with Danny Granger. George could also make Granger expendable if he continues to develop his offensive game. He recently tallied a career-high 23 points in helping the Pacers clinch its first playoff spot in five years. Best Case: Danny Granger

Dr. Awesome
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Best Case is better than Granger.

Rogco
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Best case: Granger with defense and the ability to pass.

Shade
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Best Case: Tracy McGrady

BringJackBack
04-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Conrad Brunner said a couple games back that Paul George reminds him of Joe Johnson, but with better defense. They are both silky smooth, both use hesitation moves to get free, both love their jumpers, both have great looking jumpers and they are smooth, and they both have some passing ability. I love that comparison.

Joe Johnson wasn't a superstar his first couple years in the league either. Look at the numbers:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsjo02.html

troyc11a
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
A few years ago this board and others like it had Granger as an elite franchise player. If George turns out to be as good as Granger we will all be happy.

Pacergeek
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM

i hope he can become better than McGrady. Mcgrady never won anything his entire career. not even one playoff series. I hope that he develops into a winner, and not a player that cares about stats.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Best Case

Paul George

:)

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
i hope he can become better than McGrady. Mcgrady never won anything his entire career. not even one playoff series. I hope that he develops into a winner, and not a player that cares about stats.

McGrady not getting out of the first round certainly doesn't fall on him, especially when he was in Orlando.

Pacergeek
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
McGrady not getting out of the first round certainly doesn't fall on him, especially when he was in Orlando.

sure it does. he was their leader/best player. I want to say that they even blew a 3-1 series lead to Detroit when the Magic had home court. do you really want to build your team around a player that can't win in the playoffs? I want PG to become a player that wins in the post season. people critizice Reggie, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, etc for never winning a ring. But McGrady never even won a single playoff series.

xBulletproof
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
sure it does. he was their leader/best player. I want to say that they even blew a 3-1 series lead to Detroit when the Magic had home court. do you really want to build your team around a player that can't win in the playoffs? I want PG to become a player that wins in the post season. people critizice Reggie, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, etc for never winning a ring. But McGrady never even won a single playoff series.

If Paul George averages 32 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists per game at any point in his career, I'll take my chances that we're winning some playoff series.

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Look at that team he had around him. He had a worse supporting cast than LeBron ever did in Cleveland. Darrell Armstrong was the starting PG. The second best player was Drew Gooden. They had Shawn Kemp on their team, in 2003... That team was terrible and it was only Tracy McGrady. Come on man. No one can do it alone.

Blink
04-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Uh didn't he leave Toronto to be "the man"?

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Its one thing to be the man. Its another to be the ONLY man.

Pacergeek
04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Look at that team he had around him. He had a worse supporting cast than LeBron ever did in Cleveland. Darrell Armstrong was the starting PG. The second best player was Drew Gooden. They had Shawn Kemp on their team, in 2003... That team was terrible and it was only Tracy McGrady. Come on man. No one can do it alone.

look, TMac was one of the most electrifying players in the NBA in his prime. im not saying that he lacked anything skill-wise. he just was never a winner. he didn't make his teammates better, and he didn't show up in the playoffs when it mattered most. i understand the team concept, and sure players need help. but if TMAC was as good as he was supposed to be, he would have won at least one playoff series.

yoadknux
04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
If he turns into a Granger, I will be more than pleased, Granger is one of our most successful draft picks (and among the top Pacers of this decade). He didn't turn out to be a superstar, which is unfortunate, and didn't really take us anywhere, but still a really good player.
Someone here wrote "Granger with the ability to defend and pass" why not just type "Lebron James"?
I think some of you guys are expecting way too much. Superstars usually start as superstars. I'm not saying there's no chance he'll turn into one, and of course I hope he turns into one, I just think it's not as likely as some think.

imbtyler
04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
If he turns into a Granger, I will be more than pleased, Granger is one of our most successful draft picks (and among the top Pacers of this decade). He didn't turn out to be a superstar, which is unfortunate, and didn't really take us anywhere, but still a really good player.
Someone here wrote "Granger with the ability to defend and pass" why not just type "Lebron James"?
I think some of you guys are expecting way too much. Superstars usually start as superstars. I'm not saying there's no chance he'll turn into one, and of course I hope he turns into one, I just think it's not as likely as some think.

I think he's more likely to transform after the team settles a bit. Yes, it's his rookie year. He got little-to-no playing time just before the All-Star Break. He didn't exactly show out in the games he did play after the coaching change, but I think that still has a lot to do with rotation and rookie jitters.

We didn't draft a John Wall, Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, or LeBron James, drenched in "superstar" status right as they walked into the league. And we're not playing him like he is one of them. But like any good player, give him some time to grow and I think he actually will have potential to be a superstar, and the best Pacer ever, in no time. Just because Eric Gordon or Steph Curry didn't win Rookie of the Year doesn't mean they're not bound to be perennial all-stars and difference-makers on any team they play for.

[/fanrant]

PS: Dear Pacers, Please bring EJ and/or Curry to Indiana.

mattie
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Best Case: A cross between Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Bill Russel.
Worst Case: Slightly better than Larry Bird.

fact.

ksuttonjr76
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
look, TMac was one of the most electrifying players in the NBA in his prime. im not saying that he lacked anything skill-wise. he just was never a winner. he didn't make his teammates better, and he didn't show up in the playoffs when it mattered most. i understand the team concept, and sure players need help. but if TMAC was as good as he was supposed to be, he would have won at least one playoff series.

So if he decrease PPG, RPG, and FG%, then he would have a chance at winning? Not understanding your logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_McGrady

The man can only do so much.

IndyPacer
04-12-2011, 09:21 PM
A few years ago this board and others like it had Granger as an elite franchise player. If George turns out to be as good as Granger we will all be happy.

If Granger played hard on both sides of the court, he would be one of the best SFs in the NBA. He's shown now and then that he can play defense and rebound when he feels like it, but it's far too rare. Granger is a really good player, but he has really underachieved defensively.

NuffSaid
04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Don't you mean worst case?

Trader Joe
04-13-2011, 11:42 AM

No, he left Toronto to play with Grant Hill.

How quickly some forget the actual story.

NuffSaid
04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
TMac is now over-rated. He couldn't win in Toronto, Orlando, Houston and now in Detroit though I'll give him a pass here because the Pistons are in rebuilding mode.

Still, he had talent around him at least in Houston and look where it got him? Injured pretty much every year he was there.

No. It's not just the fact that his skills have deminished and he's no longer capable of putting a team on his back and winning for them. It's also a matter of his injury history. I'm tired of having players on this team who get hurt all the time and sit most of the season and the team suffers as a result of not having their talent on the floor. So, no! No TMac for this Pacers fan. I think I said as much a few years ago when there was talk of trading for him or picking him up in free agency. If I had a vote, mine would be NO.

NuffSaid
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
No, he left Toronto to play with Grant Hill.

How quickly some forget the actual story.
And did they play together? If so, what happened? How successful was that duo?

Just curious...

Trader Joe
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
And did they play together? If so, what happened? How successful was that duo?

Just curious...

Grant Hill was hurt for basically McGrady's entire time in Orlando.

graphic-er
04-13-2011, 11:52 AM

I agree, most on here do not give Granger any respect. A Granger with the ability to defend and pass well on a consistent basis would be Lebron James. Heck he'd be so good he could have his own Crab Dribble.

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM
TMac is now over-rated. He couldn't win in Toronto, Orlando, Houston and now in Detroit though I'll give him a pass here because the Pistons are in rebuilding mode.

Still, he had talent around him at least in Houston and look where it got him? Injured pretty much every year he was there.

No. It's not just the fact that his skills have deminished and he's no longer capable of putting a team on his back and winning for them. It's also a matter of his injury history. I'm tired of having players on this team who get hurt all the time and sit most of the season and the team suffers as a result of not having their talent on the floor. So, no! No TMac for this Pacers fan. I think I said as much a few years ago when there was talk of trading for him or picking him up in free agency. If I had a vote, mine would be NO.

Wait you think because we say he has the ability to be the next Tmac that includes George will be injured all the time? Why the **** would we say that? We say his best case is Tmac because we see similarities in their on the court play. We are saying George's ceiling is in the area of Tmac's ceiling. We aren't saying they are going to have the same career or going to be riddled with injuries.

If Paul George has a 8 season stretch of averaging 26.1ppg, 6.4rpg, 5.5apg, while having an inside and outside game, I think we are gonna be pretty damn happy. Thats what McGrady did from 2000-2008.

So yes, his best case scenario is Tmac.

imbtyler
04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Wait you think because we say he has the ability to be the next Tmac that includes George will be injured all the time? Why the **** would we say that? We say his best case is Tmac because we see similarities in their on the court play. We are saying George's ceiling is in the area of Tmac's ceiling. We aren't saying they are going to have the same career or going to be riddled with injuries.

If Paul George has a 8 season stretch of averaging 26.1ppg, 6.4rpg, 5.5apg, while having an inside and outside game, I think we are gonna be pretty damn happy. Thats what McGrady did from 2000-2008.

So yes, his best case scenario is Tmac.

I just had a vision of the future. And it was beautiful. I hope this kid grows well.

Isaac
04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Forget trying to bring TMac down. It's a huge stretch to think that Paul could ever be as good as McGrady was. Paul just had a similar rookie season to TMac's straight out of HS rookie season.

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Forget trying to bring TMac down. It's a huge stretch to think that Paul could ever be as good as McGrady was. Paul just had a similar rookie season to TMac's straight out of HS rookie season.

Thats why we say its his best case scenario. I see a lot of similarities in their games. Will Paul reach that ceiling, well we have to wait and see, but I think it will be a fun ride

Lou Bega
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
This author is a moron

John Wall & Landry Fields over the great "Boogie" Cousins. Demarcus was the best rookie I saw live this year at Conseco. I did not see Blake but John Wall & Landry Fields did not impress me

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
This author is a moron

John Wall & Landry Fields over the great "Boogie" Cousins. Demarcus was the best rookie I saw live this year at Conseco. I did not see Blake but John Wall & Landry Fields did not impress me

Cousins was very inconsistent to start the season and up through halfway through it. He couldn't get off the bench for that reason and because he's well, a dumb ***. No way he should be ahead of John Wall who has a very bright future ahead of him. I mean he put up a triple double back in November.

Lou Bega
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Thats why we say its his best case scenario. I see a lot of similarities in their games. Will Paul reach that ceiling, well we have to wait and see, but I think it will be a fun ride

U ever see early T Mac paired with Vince Carter in Toronto. T Mac was an elite athlete getting set alley oops ran to him as a rookie. T Mac earned a max contract but his knee injuries hurt him.

Lou Bega
04-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Cousins was very inconsistent to start the season and up through halfway through it. He couldn't get off the bench for that reason and because he's well, a dumb ***. No way he should be ahead of John Wall who has a very bright future ahead of him. I mean he put up a triple double back in November.

I go by what I see live. John Wall only got limited minutes in the last drubbing of the Wizards here. He is very quick & tall for a PG. John Wall is not going to be a D Rose. Cousins is the best ball handler at the PF/C position in the league.

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
U ever see early T Mac paired with Vince Carter in Toronto. T Mac was an elite athlete getting set alley oops ran to him as a rookie. T Mac earned a max contract but his knee injuries hurt him.

Yes I did and Paul George can certainly execute set alley oops ran for him. We just don't run them for him... I never said Tmac didn't earn his contract, he did and I think he was a damn good player, one of the few that could go toe to toe with Kobe.

I go by what I see live. John Wall only got limited minutes in the last drubbing of the Wizards here. He is very quick & tall for a PG. John Wall is not going to be a D Rose. Cousins is the best ball handler at the PF/C position in the league.

And I go by what I see throughout the season. I've seen Cousins live too. He was completely out matched by Blake Griffin. It wasn't even close on how much better Griffin was than Cousins. I see Cousins play a lot and he is much better now (which is when you saw him) then when he was up until February.

Go by what you see live, that one or two games you get to see of a player is hardly enough to judge them off of. He is averaging 16.5ppg, 8.4apg and 4.6rpg and has been very good ALL season long.

People said D Rose wasn't going to be as good as he is too, give Wall time and you will see. Being quick and tall for a PG is only a good thing. Would you rather a short slow guy? And I think Josh McRoberts is a better ball handler than Cousins. Griffin can put it on the floor too.

JB24
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Cousins has played like dog-**** for large parts of the season. Which is why basing your opinions on one-game samples is, to put it bluntly, idiotic.

Pacergeek
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
when its all said and done, Cousins has the potential to be the best player in the draft class. philly and minnesota were silly to pass on Boogie.

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 04:19 PM
when its all said and done, Cousins has the potential to be the best player in the draft class. philly and minnesota were silly to pass on Boogie.

I agree, he is incredibly talented. But I don't know if he will ever reach his potential because of his mental problems.

Pacergeek
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree, he is incredibly talented. But I don't know if he will ever reach his potential because of his mental problems.

i think his "mental problems" have been blown way out of proportion by the media. has he ever been arrested? i also don't blame him for trying to fight his teammate, Dante Green. I didn't see that particular game, but if Cousins was truly open, and had a good look for a shot, then Green should have passed him the ball.

ilive4sports
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
i think his "mental problems" have been blown way out of proportion by the media. has he ever been arrested? i also don't blame him for trying to fight his teammate, Dante Green. I didn't see that particular game, but if Cousins was truly open, and had a good look for a shot, then Green should have passed him the ball.

Trust me, they go far past his incident with Dante Green. He has been battling the coach all year long. Just because he hasn't been arrested doesn't mean he doesn't have mental problems. Was Ron Artest arrested before he went off? I don't think he was. Cousins isn't as bad as Artest has been yet, but honestly I could see him going down that road. He has a terrible attitude and the Kings organization are keeping a very close eye on him. His interviews with the local radio just seem so scripted, like the team is answering the questions for him.