PDA

View Full Version : PPacers' Danny Granger may end up eating his words about Derrick Rose, Bulls

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/columns/story?columnist=isaacson_melissa&id=6332438

By Game 1 of their Eastern Conference playoff series this weekend, Pacers forward Danny Granger will likely be turned into a combination of Rex Ryan and PackerJoe from Kishwaukee.

Danny Granger, who is averaging 20.5 points per game, said the Pacers will be happy to face the Bulls instead of the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs.
In the annals of trash talking, the veteran's recent comments about the Chicago Bulls more closely resemble something that may have once come from the mouth of Steve Kerr. Just the same, it is not wrong to assume that it will be absorbed, digested and cranked out as high-octane fuel by oh, say, Derrick Rose, whenever necessary.

For those of you who may have missed it, asked if he'd rather face the Celtics or the Bulls in the first round, Granger chose the Bulls.

"Boston's a different monster," he said. "They don't have the best record in the East, but they won championships; they know how to do it. They have four, five guys you have to worry about.

"Chicago, they go as Derrick Rose goes. If you make a concerted effort to stop Derrick Rose, you have a better chance of beating them."

Trouble is, there isn't much data to prove either sentence since Rose only goes one speed, and concerted effort or not, he is not often stopped.

Just the same, fun has been had by all in the first -- and likely only -- salvo launched by either team.

The Bulls will win, I believe, in five games, though no one will be shocked if it's a sweep. But the Pacers aren't quite the pushovers they seem.

They have won 10 of their past 15 games, including victories over the Bulls, Celtics, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks (twice). And Granger, who is averaging 20.5 points and is a better-than-average 3-point shooter at 6-foot-8, is the guy who is likely to have the ball in his hands if the game is on the line.

The Pacers' 115-108 victory over the Bulls on March 18 was without Carlos Boozer in the lineup, but despite Rose's 42 points (including 18 free throws). When the Bulls won in the teams' other three meetings, they held Indiana to less than 90 points.

Their 110-89 victory at the United Center on Jan. 29 was the last for Pacers coach Jim O'Brien, who was fired by team president Larry Bird the following day and replaced by assistant coach Frank Vogel on an interim basis.

To win the series as quickly as possible, the Bulls (60-20) will have to slow the Pacers (37-44), forcing them into a half-court game, and certainly coach of the year candidate Tom Thibodeau is up to that task.

The Bulls may have their hands full with Roy Hibbert, the Pacers' 7-2, 278-pound center, though his lack of playoff experience should offset any serious threat.

The Pacers also throw the hyper Tyler Hansborough at you. The 6-9 power forward, who is averaging 11 points this season, is as likely to score 30 -- which he did against the Knicks -- as he is to score five, which he did against the Celtics.

The Bulls' bench is one of the best in the league, worthy of Thibodeau going with a deeper rotation than is customary in the playoffs. But the Pacers may be up to the task with a veteran group in 6-9 guard and one-time starter Mike Dunleavy, 6-10 forward Josh McRoberts and 6-6 guard Dahntay Jones, along with 3-point shooter Brandon Rush.

As for Granger, he may not be entirely wrong about Rose. But the MVP-to-be is averaging 27 points, 6.5 assists and 5.8 rebounds against the Pacers this season. And he has this stubborn streak when it comes to facing teams that have recently beaten the Bulls.

Or recently insulted them.

As wimpy as the perceived insult might be

Trader Joe
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
It shows just how pansy the NBA has become that this is even considered "trash talking" on any level.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
It shows just how pansy the NBA has become that this is even considered "trash talking" on any level.

yeah bro

nothing compared to what it was like in the 90's

I guess the media is just reaching for stories

Shade
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
This is just the media trying to cause a stir in order to drum up excitement for a playoff series that will likely end up lopsided.

yoadknux
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't worry Danny, we all support you :D

BillS
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Wow. What is essentially something like "We have a chance against this team if we focus on stopping their best guy" is supposed to be an insult to that best guy?

I could <i>maybe</i> buy it being a motivator for Boozer or Noah or others <i>not</i> named DRose on the Bulls, but come on.

The Jackson shimmy
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Is Hibbs really 278 lbs ? That seems about 15-20lbs high to me.

I 'wish' he was a legit 278...

Trader Joe
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
278 sounds like his old weight from last year to me.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I can't really find anything in Danny's quotes pulling a Rex Ryan or whoever the author compared this to.

I think he was expressing a valid strategy.

BRushWithDeath
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
278 sounds like his old weight from last year to me.

278 may be accurate.

Unfortunately, 250 of that is in his upper body.

Big house. Little foundation.

Speed
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Why give an opponent anything to put on the bulletin board? Just give them respect and call it a challenge, but be confident.

I know, i know its nothing; pro teams never use those things as motivation.

Peck
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Wow. What is essentially something like "We have a chance against this team if we focus on stopping their best guy" is supposed to be an insult to that best guy?

I could <i>maybe</i> buy it being a motivator for Boozer or Noah or others <i>not</i> named DRose on the Bulls, but come on.

I think the problem lies in the fact that Danny felt the need to compare & contrast them to the Celtics. In other words even though he didn't say it he certainly implied that Boston is the better team and we are glad to be facing the inferior opponet.

I think if Danny never said a word about Boston you would be 100% correct in that he was just talking about how to compete in the series.

As it is though, weak as it is though, he did kind of put the scissors in the light socket.

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I've never really cared about this type of stuff, no matter what side I am on. I used to get a kick out of the Guaransheed.

I've never looked back at a series and thought if only so and so wouldn't have said that we would have won.

Shade
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I've never really cared about this type of stuff, no matter what side I am on. I used to get a kick out of the Guaransheed.

I've never looked back at a series and though if only so and so wouldn't have said that we would have won.

Tell that to the PDer who set off Chris Paul on us last year.

BillS
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Tell that to the PDer who set off Chris Paul on us last year.

Well, that was at the game and to Paul's face. Not quite the same, I suspect.

Like, Reggie didn't pay much attention to the papers but don't chant "Cheryl" at the game...

HC
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
So the article takes it way overboard obviously. That being said Danny should have chosen his words more wisely. There is no need to give another team bulletin board material.

Jared Sullinger
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I love the subtle trash talk from Danny. I wanna see more of it. I also wanna see Hansbrough beat Boozer up, mentally and physically.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Pacers/Bulls rivalry renewed?

This is what it's starting to sound like.

I don't even see what Danny a big deal. He was asked a question and gave an answer and an explanation.

The media takes statements like this too seriously.

BillS
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM

I don't even see what Danny a big deal. He was asked a question and gave an answer and an explanation.

Yeah, I don't think anyone on the Bulls is taking this anywhere near like a rivalry. More like a speedbump - you can't just drive over it recklessly but you aren't going to detour because of it, either.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone on the Bulls is taking this anywhere near like a rivalry. More like a speedbump - you can't just drive over it recklessly but you aren't going to detour because of it, either.

I don't think Bulls are looking at it as a rivalry, but the media is trying to make it sound like things are heating up between us and them.

I don't even think we're looking at a rivalry. Danny just answered a question.

It's not like Rex Ryan's case where every matchup was "personal" and a rivalry.

Hopefully we make it competitive though and make future matchups a little more exciting.

Sookie
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I've said this before, if the Bulls and Rose need motivation to beat the Pacers, then the Pacers actually do have a chance in the series..because the Bulls aren't mature enough.

Since86
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I love how the writer takes Danny to task pointing out how Boston may have the worse record, but he thinks they will tougher in the playoffs because of their titles and then the writer says this:

The Bulls may have their hands full with Roy Hibbert, the Pacers' 7-2, 278-pound center, though his lack of playoff experience should offset any serious threat.

TRASH TALK TRASH TALK!!!! :rolleyes:

Or we could just follow common sense and realize that teams with experience are harder to overcome, and the Celtics have experience in spades.

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM

No way, words don't make a rivalry. It takes about 2 or three payoff series and it takes each team winning

Plus the Pacers never had a rivalry with the Bulls. We had one with the Knicks in the 90's and what I would call a strange one against the Pistons in the '00's

Peck
04-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Renewed?

Don't you have to win something first for there to be a rivalry? We've played each other one time in the playoffs, good series but hardly a rivalry.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I just said in my following post that the media is making it seem like this is a rivalry.

I'm sure neither side is looking at this as a rivalry yet.

I'm hoping for a competitive series to make future matchups a little more interesting.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
No way, words don't make a rivalry. It takes about 2 or three payoff series and it takes each team winning

Plus the Pacers never had a rivalry with the Bulls. We had one with the Knicks in the 90's and what I would call a strange one against the Pistons in the '00's

The fact that we play in the same division makes it a central division rivalry.

We did have some good matchups in the 90's between Reggie and Jordan.

MyFavMartin
04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Is Hibbs really 278 lbs ? That seems about 15-20lbs high to me.

I 'wish' he was a legit 278...

That's his weight listed at pacers.com and Draftexpress has it at 272 lb, which I would think was when he was drafted. He's definitely shed the fat, but as muscle is more dense, a slimmed down Roy might weigh more...

Alas, heights and weights in basketball are never what they seem...

And I'm 6'3" and 220 lb on the internet. ;)

croz24
04-12-2011, 04:08 PM
opening up his mouth seems to be danny's way of being a leader for this team

MyFavMartin
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I think anybody who saw the game before last against the Celtics can understand Danny's statement - Boston completely shut us down defensively. As for the last game, Boston was in some serious foul trouble... They'll be a beast with added FC help with Shaq and JO and their PO experience. Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett is a really strong 4 compared to DRose/Deng/Boozer/Noah. The fall off at the 5th starter is bigger with Chicago - Bogans vs. Shaq.

dal9
04-12-2011, 04:11 PM
This is just the media trying to cause a stir in order to drum up excitement for a playoff series that will likely end up lopsided.

oh i disagree...the bulls will probably steal at least a game or two...:cool:

Lord Helmet
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
They just talked about this on SportsNation. Michelle said it won't matter because the Pacers will be done in a week, and Colin said that when you are an underdog, the only way you can hope to win is if the other team comes out flat and with no energy.

I guess he didn't watch the NCAA's this year.

55% of fans liked Danny's comment.

Lord Helmet
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I think anybody who saw the game before last against the Celtics can understand Danny's statement - Boston completely shut us down defensively. As for the last game, Boston was in some serious foul trouble... They'll be a beast with added FC help with Shaq and JO and their PO experience. Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett is a really strong 4 compared to DRose/Deng/Boozer/Noah. The fall off at the 5th starter is bigger with Chicago - Bogans vs. Shaq.
Yeah I remember that game as it was the first game Tyler didn't score 20 when he had his scoring outbreak.

KingGeorge
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/granger-teeth-2.jpg

Derrick Rose's worst ****ing nightmare.

Pacergeek
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
i don't mind a little trash talk. Who cares if we are the 8th seed? are we just supposed to lay down for the Bulls? as long as we are confident, we can take out the Bulls. i am terrified of the officials giving Rose favorable calls though.

QuickRelease
04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I think the problem lies in the fact that Danny felt the need to compare & contrast them to the Celtics. In other words even though he didn't say it he certainly implied that Boston is the better team and we are glad to be facing the inferior opponet.

I think if Danny never said a word about Boston you would be 100% correct in that he was just talking about how to compete in the series.

As it is though, weak as it is though, he did kind of put the scissors in the light socket.I think he was saying Boston is the more battle tested team as far as the playoffs are concerend, which would be true.

QuickRelease
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
opening up his mouth seems to be danny's way of being a leader for this team
Ok, well this is hardly fair. For one, he was asked the question. It wasn't like he was just spouting off. Two, what he said was true. Any team that could find a way to shut down DRose (looooooooooong shot) would take their chances with Korver, Boozer, and J-No trying to beat them. Three, if we're going to go into the playoffs, hat in hand, apologizing for being there, then we should go home. Heck yeah, we think we have a shot at them. They may beat us, but it won't be because we're afraid to step to them.

Now quit being Croz14/15 and start supporting Danny! :D

dohman
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I wish we had a player with enough balls to trash talk

QuickRelease
04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I wish we had a player with enough balls to trash talkWe do. His name is Lance Stephenson. Unfortunately, he talks trash to his teammates.

kielbeze
04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Man that was brutal I am just glad mothers werent involved.
Next thing you know he is going to call rose a lint licking son of a buscuit eating bulldog!

TheDon
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Man that was brutal I am just glad mothers werent involved.
Next thing you know he is going to call rose a lint licking son of a buscuit eating bulldog!

:laugh: reminds me of that orbit commercial "what the french? toast!"

MagicRat
04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1055809959/DG_Twitter_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/dgranger33) @dgranger33 (http://twitter.com/#%21/dgranger33) Danny Granger

y R ppl talkin so tough 2 me on twttr!?!? I swear I just got cussed out by a bulls fan... Callin me a n$#ger (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23ger)!! Ain't the bulls black?lmao

TheDon
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1055809959/DG_Twitter_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/dgranger33) @dgranger33 (http://twitter.com/#%21/dgranger33) Danny Granger

y R ppl talkin so tough 2 me on twttr!?!? I swear I just got cussed out by a bulls fan... Callin me a n$#ger (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23ger)!! Ain't the bulls black?lmao

ROFLMAO poor Danny he gives one honest answer and the fight is on

:rotflmao:

kielbeze
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
:laugh: reminds me of that orbit commercial "what the french? toast!"

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

ksuttonjr76
04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Wow :eek:! Did I totally missed something? He was asked the question. He's going to be at the next post-game conference saying "No comment" :laugh:.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Bulls fans are freakin' crazy animals.

Show some respect. I would never say something that rude to anybody.

That's a disgusting remark.

What the hell did Danny do? When I read this, I didn't think much of it.

croz24
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Ok, well this is hardly fair. For one, he was asked the question. It wasn't like he was just spouting off. Two, what he said was true. Any team that could find a way to shut down DRose (looooooooooong shot) would take their chances with Korver, Boozer, and J-No trying to beat them. Three, if we're going to go into the playoffs, hat in hand, apologizing for being there, then we should go home. Heck yeah, we think we have a shot at them. They may beat us, but it won't be because we're afraid to step to them.

Now quit being Croz14/15 and start supporting Danny! :D

it was pretty tame for trash talk. my problem is danny does all this talking pre-game and post-game instead of letting his play do the talking in-game.

Scot Pollard
04-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Um, wow this is getting good.

Hopefully this game is as good as it's sounding on the court.

Danny is leading this team with his tough attitude and I the tallest player on either team (Roy) doesn't go out there and not play like a tough guy.

QuickRelease
04-12-2011, 09:40 PM
it was pretty tame for trash talk. my problem is danny does all this talking pre-game and post-game instead of letting his play do the talking in-game.
Oh for the days of John Starks v. Reggie

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 09:45 PM

The thing is, it could have been a black dude who said the N word

If he was white, asian , whatever Im sure it doesnt bother Danny, he knows thats "internet talk" and highly unlikely he would call Danny that to his face

Funny thing is Bulls fans are nad disrespectful, but their team is not

I respect the hell out of Rose, and so does Danny, thats why he said he is the MVP

Constellations
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Fail lol. The Pacers had a rivalry with the Bulls. M/J Scottie Vs. Reggie + Teammates= Became a rivalry

It all started with Reggie's "The Bow" in the United Center.

Ah, good times. Sorta...

Constellations
04-13-2011, 12:00 AM

You are a Pacer Troll.

Peck
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Fail lol. The Pacers had a rivalry with the Bulls. M/J Scottie Vs. Reggie + Teammates= Became a rivalry

Ah, good times. Sorta...

You do realize we lost that game right? Believe me I know from personal experiance that we lost the next game at home to them as Pippen took a bow in all four corners of MSA, I cursed Reggie plenty that night I can assure you.

Unclebuck
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Ah, good times. Sorta...

In order for a rivalry to be a rivalry it must be one in the minds of both teams. if you were to ask the Bulls players in the 90's if they had a rivalry with the Pacers they would laugh and say, no. I mean almost every team in the NBA back then thought they had a rivalry with the Bulls.

The Knicks and the Pistons had a rivalry with the Bulls. The Pacers? LOL, we wish.

Will Galen
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Every team has crazy fans! There's some Pacer fans that I wish weren't because the way they talk at times makes me ashamed of them.