PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Playoff Surprise Team

Constellations
04-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I believe the Thunder are gonna make an insane run to the Western Conference finals this year and surprise everybody!

BRushWithDeath
04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
That wouldn't really be much of a surprise.

Kstat
04-12-2011, 07:26 AM
My surprise team is the Lakers. Look for Kobe Bryant to have a breakout postseason.

Major Cold
04-12-2011, 07:35 AM
The Celtics will "surprise" the "experts" and get in the finals. Too much talk about Perkins.

Shade
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
My surprise team is the Lakers. Look for Kobe Bryant to have a breakout postseason.

I don't really think you can consider the two-time defending champs a "surprise team."

I fully expect them to get back to the WCF, at the very least.

Shade
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
The Celtics will "surprise" the "experts" and get in the finals. Too much talk about Perkins.

I think Boston will surprise, but in the opposite direction. First-round exit.

BRushWithDeath
04-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't really think you can consider the two-time defending champs a "surprise team."

I fully expect them to get back to the WCF, at the very least.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Shade
04-12-2011, 08:00 AM
I think the biggest surprise, for me, is the Hornets, and has been all season. Swapping Collison for Ariza was not a popular move at first, and yet, here they are, back in the playoffs.

Memphis is also a bit of a surprise, especially when you consider the loss of Rudy Gay.

Shade
04-12-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Hard to tell, considering LA's current losing streak. They've gotten a lot of criticism of late, even from their coach.

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't know, but the worst mistake is to put too much stock in anything the playoff tested teams do in the weeks leading up to the playoffs. Lakers 5 games losing streak means nothing. They showed they can play well as they were 17-1 up until the last few games. The Celtics have been coasting for awhile - although they will miss Perkins IMO.

I don't think the Thunder getting to the WCF is a surprise. NBA Finals - yeah.

mildlysane
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
It has to be the Pacers considering they were predicted to be behind the Bucks and the Bobcats at the end of the season by the "experts".

sportfireman
04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I just have a feeling the Pacers will beat the Bulls.....

LucasRL13
04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I believe in Oklahoma too...

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Lnltl3YoqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ksuttonjr76
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
The Nuggets after the trade, because I thought they would have fallen out of playoff contention. Also, I believe Indiana and Denver have the biggest chance of having an upset over their first round opponents.

Sollozzo
04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Everyone frets over that Perk trade so much, and yes, it could sting come playoff time, but the loss of Perk has absolutely nothing to do with why they are playing so poorly right now. Perk played in freaking 12 games for the Celtics this season and didn't even suit up until January. During November and December, the Celtics were the best team in the NBA without him. All of the success they had this season was without Perkins.

Ray Allen hasn't been playing well the last month. That hurts.

If there is any team who can flip the switch on in the playoffs, it's the Cetlics.

Trader Joe
04-12-2011, 10:27 AM
I think the biggest surprise, for me, is the Hornets, and has been all season. Swapping Collison for Ariza was not a popular move at first, and yet, here they are, back in the playoffs.

Memphis is also a bit of a surprise, especially when you consider the loss of Rudy Gay.

Huh? Who ever thought that was a bad deal for New Orleans? They were getting this guy back to the lineup named Chris Paul, he's pretty good or something like that, at least that's what I'm told, some even said he sort of made Darren Collison not necessary for them.

I think Portland will win one playoff series and to me that's a surprise.

Justin Tyme
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
If someone at the beginning of the season had told me that Utah would be out of the playoffs with a losing season, Sloan fired in season, and D 'Will traded I wouldn't have believed it. Now, that's a SURPRISE!

The good play of Denver since the trade is a surprise, and personally I hope they do well in the WC playoffs. I hope Miami and NY fall on their faces in the 1st round.

I'd have to agree the Hornets has to be a big surprise. I'm so happy for Monty Williams, but disappointed that Bird didn't hire him, even over the phone. Pacers loss!!!

imawhat
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
The Miami Heat. It's playoff time and I think we'll see how talented they truly are.

Kraut N Beer
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I would love to say the Thunder.

However, since this is Phil's last year, we should all already know how this postseason is really going to end this year.....

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Everyone frets over that Perk trade so much, and yes, it could sting come playoff time, but the loss of Perk has absolutely nothing to do with why they are playing so poorly right now. Perk played in freaking 12 games for the Celtics this season and didn't even suit up until January. During November and December, the Celtics were the best team in the NBA without him. All of the success they had this season was without Perkins.

Ray Allen hasn't been playing well the last month. That hurts.

If there is any team who can flip the switch on in the playoffs, it's the Cetlics.

That is an excellent point. I do worry about the emotional toll that took - Perk. being traded. he was a loved teammate.

On the court really against the Magic and the Lakers is when the Celtics need Perkins the most and I doubt they play the Magic unless the Magic beat the Bulls.

The second round of the Eastern conference should be the best it has been in several years. Both series should be excellent, I think both will go 7 games. Of course I['m assuming the magic play the Bulls and the Heat play the Celtics.

Although the west will be be great too if the lakers play the Spurs and the mavs play the Thunder or any combo of those 4 teams.

I always think the second round is the best anyway - always at least 1 great series and 1 other one that is very good, this year all 4 should be outstanding.

Shade
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Huh? Who ever thought that was a bad deal for New Orleans? They were getting this guy back to the lineup named Chris Paul, he's pretty good or something like that, at least that's what I'm told, some even said he sort of made Darren Collison not necessary for them.

I think Portland will win one playoff series and to me that's a surprise.

A good number of Hornets fans did not think Ariza was enough to justify moving Collison, talent-wise.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Cuban's team. No doubt.

CableKC
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Yep.....they're gonna ride the backs of JONeal, Shaq and ( hold your breath ) Murphy all the way to the finals. ;)

There is a reason why everyone is talking about the loss of Perkins.

CableKC
04-12-2011, 12:19 PM
My surprise Team that will make a 2nd round run is the Nuggets.

Shade
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Yep.....they're gonna ride the backs of JONeal, Shaq and ( hold your breath ) Murphy all the way to the finals. ;)

Interestingly, the Celtics still looked great most of the season while Perkins was injured. Their defense and chemistry didn't really seem to go downhill until they...wait for it...signed Troy Murphy. :devil:

TMJ31
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, I want for two things to happen this post-season:

1) I want the Pacers to give a great show and advance as far as they possibly can.

2) I want both the Lakers (first and foremost) and the Heat to be eliminated as SOON as possible and in the most humiliating fashion possible.

If not the Pacers, I would like to see perhaps Dallas win it all. I've always liked Rick as well as Dirk, and they deserve a championship after so many years of being a very good team.

But like I said... As long as it's NOT the Lakers (or Heat preferably).

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Interestingly, the Celtics still looked great most of the season while Perkins was injured. Their defense and chemistry didn't really seem to go downhill until they...wait for it...signed Troy Murphy. :devil:

it is the Celtics offense that has suffered since the trade

CableKC
04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah....but we all know that the regular season is a different beast then the Playoffs. Throwing a deep and experienced PF/C rotation of KG/BigBaby/Shaq/JOneal with Murphy watching on the bench SHOULD could get them past the Knicks in the 1st round....but that Frontcourt will eventually breakdown against a tougher 2nd round Team.

CableKC
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM

1) I want the Pacers to give a great show and advance as far as they possibly can.

2) I want both the Lakers (first and foremost) and the Heat to be eliminated as SOON as possible and in the most humiliating fashion possible.

If not the Pacers, I would like to see perhaps Dallas win it all. I've always liked Rick as well as Dirk, and they deserve a championship after so many years of being a very good team.

I think that the Lakers ( along with the Mavs and Thunder ) are one of the few Teams in the West that can beat the Heat in the NBA Finals.

I'm with you on the whole "hate for the Heat"...but if they make it into the Finals......I want the best Team to take them down. I'd live with a "Three-Peat" Lakers before I can stomach a Ring for LeDecision and Tag-Along.

CableKC
04-12-2011, 01:14 PM
One more thing....I'm surprised that not that many people have given props to the Bulls. The focus has always remained with the Celtics, Heat and Lakers....but the Bulls are the best defensive Team in the League. If Noah can recover enough, I think that are underdogs that can make a deep run...or at the very least...make it tough for any Team to make it to the next round.

Major Cold
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM

SURPRISE!!!!!!

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
One more thing....I'm surprised that not that many people have given props to the Bulls. The focus has always remained with the Celtics, Heat and Lakers....but the Bulls are the best defensive Team in the League. If Noah can recover enough, I think that are underdogs that can make a deep run...or at the very least...make it tough for any Team to make it to the next round.

I'd be very surprised if the Bulls don't get to the ECF (although their series with the magic should be great). And once they do I think they will have a good chance to beat either the Heat or Celtics. I do wonder what might happen when the Bulls play against a defense that is about as good as their own and I do wonder how the Bulls will do if a team decides to take the ball out of Rose's hands early and often

Shade
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
it is the Celtics offense that has suffered since the trade

The defense has suffered as well.

Shade
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah....but we all know that the regular season is a different beast then the Playoffs. Throwing a deep and experienced PF/C rotation of KG/BigBaby/Shaq/JOneal with Murphy watching on the bench SHOULD could get them past the Knicks in the 1st round....but that Frontcourt will eventually breakdown against a tougher 2nd round Team.

Big Baby is only decent in limited minutes. Since his role has increased, his productivity has decreased.

Kegboy
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Memphis, especially if things hold and they play Dallas.

CableKC
04-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd be very surprised if the Bulls don't get to the ECF (although their series with the magic should be great). And once they do I think they will have a good chance to beat either the Heat or Celtics. I do wonder what might happen when the Bulls play against a defense that is about as good as their own
Of the remaining 16 Teams....which Team in the East has the 2nd best defense?

On the West...which Team has the best defense?

I do wonder how the Bulls will do if a team decides to take the ball out of Rose's hands early and often
Any way that we can find out in our Playoff series?

We don't have the type of Players that can do that, do we?

CableKC
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Big Baby is only decent in limited minutes. Since his role has increased, his productivity has decreased.
That's what I'm thinking.....you can only go so far with that Frontcourt.

Unclebuck
04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Of the remaining 16 Teams....which Team in the East has the 2nd best defense?

On the West...which Team has the best defense?

Any way that we can find out in our Playoff series?

We don't have the type of Players that can do that, do we?

The heat.

The lakers.

I think in theory we do, but to do it well and then to make the correct adjustments after the Bulls adkj8ust to it, it is going to take a much more experienced, veteran, and smarter team than we have. We are not even close.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
If Memphis is facing Dallas, I like Memphis' chances in that one.

Actually whoever is facing Dallas has a good chance to upset them. They are terrible in the playoffs.

I don't think the Lakers are going to the Finals. They just don't have it going this season and with Bynum in and out of the lineup, guys roles are switching left and right.

I actually think the Thunder can be a big surprise. The combination of Durant and Westbrook is pretty unstopable for most teams.

In the East, I don't see any surprises.

I'd love for us to shock everyone, but it's most likely not happening.

naptownmenace
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM
The second round of the Eastern conference should be the best it has been in several years. Both series should be excellent, I think both will go 7 games. Of course I['m assuming the magic play the Bulls and the Heat play the Celtics.

I think the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs is the best and most interesting I've seen in a long time. Each matchup has a lot of recognizable players even for the casual NBA fans.

Constellations
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
That wouldn't really be much of a surprise.

Actually it would considering they would have to beat the Lakers, with playoff refs I might add, so yeah, would be a surprise.

Constellations
04-12-2011, 11:28 PM

I love Dirk, but J Kidd deserves that ring a little more.

Richard_Skull
04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
My post-season surprise that I think may happen is that the Heat win a 7 game series over Orlando to set up a rematch with the Mavs.

Doddage
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
The Blazers are my dark horse in the playoffs. The Gerald Wallace trade made them a lot better and deeper. If Camby comes back and gives them an added rebounding and shot blocking presence, they'll be a tough team to beat imo.