PDA

View Full Version : Hawks sign Magnum Rolle

Trophy
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
MikeWellsNBA -

Congrats to big man Magnum Rolle for signing with Atlanta. He was cut by the Pacers the day his contract would have become guaranteed.

BillS
04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
This has to be a 10-day contract, why would you sign someone before the playoffs when they can't play in the playoffs?

Heisenberg
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Magnum tweeted "God is good...let the church say amen" 2 hours ago. READ INTO IT!

Seriously, good for him. Hope he actually gets some minutes.

Trophy
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Here's an article.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7477

The Atlanta Hawks today signed forward Magnum Rolle to a contract, according to Executive Vice President/General Manager Rick Sund. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Rolle spent training camp with the Indiana Pacers, and appeared in five preseason games before being waived on October 25, 2010. Rolle was the 51st overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder. He was then acquired by the Pacers in exchange for the draft rights to Ryan Reid.

The Gatorade callup played in 15 games (seven starts) with the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Development League this season, averaging 14.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 apg and 1.2 bpg (.508 FG%, .585 FT%) in 25.9 mpg. He was the third overall pick of the D-League Draft by the Claws.

Rolle played his sophomore season at LSU, before transferring to Louisiana Tech. As a senior with the Bulldogs in 2009-10, he led the WAC in blocked shots (2.1 bpg), adding 13.9 ppg and 8.4 rpg in 34 games (33 starts). He finished his career with Louisiana Tech fourth all-time in blocks in just two seasons of action.

Magnum Rolle was born on February 23, 1986 in Freeport, Bahamas, and attended St. George’s High School in Freeport before spending a year at Laurinburg Institute in North Carolina. He will wear uniform number 25.

From Hollinger's twitter:

Hawks just signed Magnum Rolle. Because sometimes, having Jason Collins, Josh Powell, Hilton Armstrong and Etan Thomas just ain't enough.

JB24
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
This has to be a 10-day contract, why would you sign someone before the playoffs when they can't play in the playoffs?

I think the ruling is that you can play unless you've played for another NBA team after March 1.

He almost definitely won't be on the playoff roster though. Probably a big body for practice, and an unguaranteed contract so they can get a good look at him and possibly keep him through summer league (if there is one.)

SMosley21
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I talked to Magnum and he basically said that the contract is for next season but that there is a chance that he could suit up in the playoffs if someone gets injured.

http://i56.tinypic.com/avio8w.jpg

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Sounds a lot like what we did with Marcus Williams last year.

Hope it works out for him and he proves me wrong.

graphic-er
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Bird cut the wrong guy at the end of preseason.

wintermute
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Best of luck to Magnum.

Sounds a lot like what we did with Marcus Williams last year.

Well, that was the rumor, but as I recall the deal fell through. Reportedly because Williams was waiting for an offer from the Spurs instead. In hindsight, that was a good thing for us.

redfoster
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Nice. Get it, Magnum.

Everything I've ever heard about the guy has been glowing.

Good luck in ATL. Unless it is against the Pacers.

Kemo
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
All the BEST luck to Magnum .. He deserves his chance... I just wish it had been as a Pacer..

Sparhawk
04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Hope he gets a chance to play.

shags
04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
It's a smart move by him. Realistically, of the big men Hollinger mentioned, only Collins will possibly be re-signed. Since Atlanta doesn't have a first round pick, he probably thinks he has a good chance to stick and potentially be in the rotation next year.

Justin Tyme
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Bird cut the wrong guy at the end of preseason.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trophy
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd rather have Magnum's locker presense and to sit on our bench than Lance.

Magnum is a great guy.

His game still can use a lot of work, but he came in to training camp and preseason always happy and blessed to be a part of this organization.