PDA

View Full Version : FIRE Mike Wells

HoopMoney
04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Pacers need new beat writer

Mike Wells has to be the worst beat writer in the NBA. He should be shipped to the D-league. How can the guy skip writing about the Pacers against the Knicks in the last home game of the season with the team trying to get some momentum? I'm being sarcastic but was their not enough story lines?

Mike you need to step your game up. Are you tired of your job? Are you mad that you will have to move your vacation back a couple of weeks? Is the fact that the players hate talking to you hurting your ability to do your job? Do you not care anymore because nobody reads newspapers anyway? Is your true love tennis not basketball? Are you tired of the weather here and want to take your talents to south beach? Is your salary so pathetic that it only deserves half a** effort? I'm only kidding but still.

Wells wrote a little piece called 'Pacers lose to Knicks as Stephenson earns place on bench' and all it talked about is Lance. The game was just a footnote to him. He already wrote in his Pacer Insider Blog about Lance. Why make the Pacer game about Lance? Why are you always a Debbie Downer? Is your personality so terrible that you can't help but be that way? You need to take some lessons from your predecessors. Or better yet just quit and find a different profession. Again I'm kidding but you see how inflammatory comments can get out of control.

Indiana deserves a better beat writer than Mike Wells. Here in basketball country we love and appreciate the fundamentals of the game and want some insight to our team. We want our beat writer to know the game inside and out so they can ask the right questions. They should have there hand on the pulse of the team. Not always negative or positive but honest.

This is not the first time that he has completely missed the boat. This is just the straw that broke the camels back. Don't distract the public from the playoffs. I say FIRE Mike Wells! No, that's a little harsh but maybe if someone on PacersDigest had access to the players we would get a different perspective

What does PD nation think of Mike Wells and what a beat writer for the Pacers should be?

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 03:03 PM
The "playoff push" is over, they are in the playoffs the first game is Saturday. Last nights game didn't mean anything, the Pacers are locked into their position. The Pacers have stopped preparing for regular season games and have started preparing for the Bulls.

As far as firing Mike Wells, you need to take your complaint to the Indianapolis Star and whoever owns and runs the newspaper.

The Pacers have no say so and they cannot send him to the D league.

What do I think of Mike Wells? I think he is average at best, but we are a small market and I'm sure the beat writer working for the Chicago Tribume covering the Bulls makes a lot more money than does Wells.

He's OK

RWB
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I have no problem with Mike Wells and think he does a pretty good job compared to the fluff pieces that Montieth use to write.

Trophy
04-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I like Mike Wells and he gives a lot of information on what's going on with the team behind the scenes.

He does tend to stir the pot a little, but it gets people thinking.

No way should he be fired though.

SoupIsGood
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
I have no problem with Mike Wells and think he does a pretty good job compared to the fluff pieces that Montieth use to write.

Yeah. Sometimes I'm turnd off by Wells's personality, but he actually reports on the team. MM was a PR agent masquerading as a journalist.

cdash
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I like Mike Wells.

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I think he's got a supreem woody to see Lance cut

other than that, he seems pretty well respected around the league

As much as some people want him gone, he probably wants a bigger market that bad

Gold
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I think he's alright. But I agree that the article focus was dumb. I also agree that he is a downer and pretty irrational a lot of the time. lol. Didn't he dub the Pacers not a playoff team after a preseason game? :laugh:

He gives decent information at then end of the day though, but I refuse to get caught up in his feelings on anything he has to write or tweet about.

rock747
04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Why so much Mike Wells hate? I don't know his personality but he seems to get the job done.

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Mike Wells does a fine job... I think he is very personable and approachable as a fan. I feel that we get a lot more behind the scenes access to the team then we ever did with Montieth.

I understand that a lot of folks want a glorified shill for PS&E working the Pacers beat, but I'm a guy that wants to hear the good, bad & ugly that has to do with the team.

What good is a beat writer that is burying stories about locker room fist fights and malcontent players being refused to board the team's flight? :montieth:

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
nome

I know you corespond with him as I see ur tweets

Does he really despise Lance? seems personal

Mackey_Rose
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
nome

Pretty much everyone who has a personal connection to Lance, and isn't trying to get something from him, despises Lance.

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
nome

All those tweets he makes that he's upset Lance isn't dressed during a blowout so he can get floor time.

Must be personal hate.

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM

I will say that Montieth was a better writer. Maybe not a better reporter, but a better Writer.

cdash
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Pretty much everyone who has a personal connection to Lance, and isn't trying to get something from him, despises Lance.

Sounds like a classy guy.

BornReady
04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
keep Mike Wells!

Kstat
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Any halfway decent beat writer is going to focus his attention on the live grenade in the locker room, at least until the playoffs begin.

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I understand that a lot of folks want a glorified shill for PS&E working the Pacers beat, but I'm a guy that wants to hear the good, bad & ugly that has to do with the team.

What good is a beat writer that is burying stories about locker room fist fights and malcontent players being refused to board the team's flight? :montieth:

I do not want a glorified shrill, in fact I would like more behind the scenes stuff, if he writies more on the bad stuff - I have no problem in fact I would welcome it. I just wish Wells was a better writer, he is hard to read sometimes. Comparing Wells to Kravitz, Kravy is just much better. Kravy could write about paint drying and it would be readable. Wells is writing about the team I love, the Pacers and there are times when I lose what he is trying to say

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM

This pretty much says it all.

Actually this does:

I'm definitely not in the "OMG Lance" crowd. I think it's more likely he dies in prison than turns into an NBA point guard.

Lance Stephenson ladies and gentlemen.

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM

really

So you know his childhood friends, family members, and others in the community?

They all hate him huh

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
There are a whole lot of people on this board who apparently have never done anything wrong in their life

I love how a problem on an NBA team equivicates to future prison inmate

SMosley21
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Don't fire Mike Wells!

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
All those tweets he makes that he's upset Lance isn't dressed during a blowout so he can get floor time.

Must be personal hate.

why cant people just answer a question instead of always trying to be a smart azz

ilive4sports
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
really

So you know his childhood friends, family members, and others in the community?

They all hate him huh

More likely they are the ones trying to get something from him. Sad but probably true.

I was a Lance supporter. I thought he could get it together. I was wrong. Its just one thing after another it seems. Keeping him much longer just worries me now.

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
There are a whole lot of people on this board who apparently have never done anything wrong in their life

There are probably a whole lot of people on this board with fewer felony charges than Lance.

Heisenberg
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Let's compromise. Close comment sections on Indy Star articles. I can't stop myself from looking.

Since86
04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Anyone else tired of hearing about Lance?

I think the biggest reason I want him gone is so we can stop talking about him.

SMosley21
04-11-2011, 04:11 PM

No kidding! At the game last night they gave away free Pacers cups with the whole team pictured on them. I did a quick once over and didn't see Lance and was really happy just because I'm tired of hearing about him and his nonsense.

At 2nd glance he's on the cup :(

Mackey_Rose
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Compared to what he's either done or been accused of? Yeah, I've been pretty much never done anything wrong.

Why do you seem to be the only one who thinks he's worthy of being defended? Probably because he isn't.

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
More likely they are the ones trying to get something from him. Sad but probably true.

I was a Lance supporter. I thought he could get it together. I was wrong. Its just one thing after another it seems. Keeping him much longer just worries me now.

I feel ya, I really do

I just think i need at least one more year of the BS drama until he officially breaks my heart

duke dynamite
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike Wells does a fine job... I think he is very personable and approachable as a fan. I feel that we get a lot more behind the scenes access to the team then we ever did with Montieth.

That's an excellent point.

If you guys want sunshine and happiness, Conrad Brunner is your guy. Not discrediting anything he writes, but I don't think he has ever said anything negative about the team and/or players. (Then again he is employed by PS&E.)

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
There are probably a whole lot of people on this board with fewer felony charges than Lance.

your point being what?

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I have not looked at that rather long thread about him right now. Who cares, he isn't going to play, sure he has talent, but I don't care right now

KingGeorge
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I have always felt that Mike Wells was a decent writer.

The only problem I have with him is his play-by-play tweets that takes over my twitter during every game.

BobbyMac
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been saying this for a long time!

Mike Wells has to be the worst beat writer in the NBA. He should be shipped to the D-league. How can the guy skip writing about the Pacers against the Knicks in the last home game of the season with the team making a playoff push? Was their not enough story lines?

Mike you need to step your game up. Are you tired of your job? Are you mad that you will have to move your vacation back a couple of weeks? Is the fact that the players hate talking to you hurting your ability to do your job? Do you not care anymore because nobody reads newspapers anyway? Is your true love tennis not basketball? Are you tired of the weather here and want to take your talents to south beach? Is your salary so pathetic that it only deserves half a** effort? Are you as lazy as you look?

Wells wrote a little piece called 'Pacers lose to Knicks as Stephenson earns place on bench' and all it talked about is Lance. The game was just a footnote to him. He already wrote in his Pacer Insider Blog about Lance. Why make the Pacer game about Lance? Why are you always a Debbie Downer? Is your personality so terrible that you can't help but be that way? You need to take some lessons from your predecessors. Or better yet just quit and find a different profession.

Indiana deserves a better beat writer than Mike Wells. Here in basketball country we love and appreciate the fundamentals of the game and want some insight to our team. We want our beat writer to know the game inside and out so they can ask the right questions. They should have there hand on the pulse of the team. Not always negative or positive but honest.

This is not the first time that he has completely missed the boat. This is just the straw that broke the camels back. Too many times he writes a piece the day after some amateur blogger writes something similar. I say FIRE Mike Wells! Give someone on Pacers Digest access to the players. There has to be dozens of guys on here that would do a better job than him.

What does PD nation think of Mike Wells and what a beat writer for the Pacers should be?

makaveli
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I think Mike does a fine job....seems to be a knowledgeable basketball guy and cares about reporting whats important with this team.....as far as his personality....I think that the only time it really comes out is on twitter and last time I checked he wasn't being paid to write by twitter, so whatever opinions he displays are fine.

naptownmenace
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree that Mike Wells isn't a good beat writer. He has a blogger's style of writing and his game recaps leave a lot to be desired. His recaps usually contain one or two short sentences describing who played, who were the key players, and the final score of the game followed by a bunch of quotes. They are High School newspaper quality reviews.

After each Pacers game I usually head to Yahoo Sports to read their recap. The recaps from the Associated Press writers are far more insightful, contain more direct quotes from the teams involved, and tend to provide more descriptive information about the actual game's highlights than anything I've read from Wells this season.

I don't mind Wells' short blogging and in-between-game articles. They usually give plenty of behind the scenes information - the type of information we may not get from the media elsewhere. Ultimately, I just think he needs to step his game up and give us more that surface scratching articles that can be read in 45 seconds.

xBulletproof
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
your point being what?

You continually defend Lance by saying everyone has to be perfect to be able to say anything, then when that line of thinking is challenged, you're confused by it?

I guess since I'm not perfect I can't point out that Ted Bundy is a murderer either. I hate when not being perfect gets in the way of pointing out facts. Just like with Mike Wells, anyone who states a fact about the kid must be a blind hater to you.

Bball
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I do not want a glorified shrill, in fact I would like more behind the scenes stuff, if he writies more on the bad stuff - I have no problem in fact I would welcome it. I just wish Wells was a better writer, he is hard to read sometimes. Comparing Wells to Kravitz, Kravy is just much better. Kravy could write about paint drying and it would be readable. Wells is writing about the team I love, the Pacers and there are times when I lose what he is trying to say

Personally, I think some people lose sight of the fact that Kravitz is a very good writer because they don't like his message many times.

Mike Wells is a breath of fresh air over what we used to get. Ignoring the negative stuff is how it festers and blows up in your face. Helping the team hide the negative stuff is how fans get blindsided when the wheels come off.

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I agree that Mike Wells isn't a good beat writer. He has a blogger's style of writing and his game recaps leave a lot to be desired. His recaps usually contain one or two short sentences describing who played, who were the key players, and the final score of the game followed by a bunch of quotes. They are High School newspaper quality reviews.

After each Pacers game I usually head to Yahoo Sports to read their recap. The recaps from the Associated Press writers are far more insightful, contain more direct quotes from the teams involved, and tend to provide more descriptive information about the actual game's highlights than anything I've read from Wells this season.

I don't mind Wells' short blogging and in-between-game articles. They usually give plenty of behind the scenes information - the type of information we may not get from the media elsewhere. Ultimately, I just think he needs to step his game up and give us more that surface scratching articles that can be read in 45 seconds.

I can understand these points a hell of a lot more than those that want a different beat writer just because they want a some "cheerleader". The Beat writer needs not to pick up the complimentary pair of Blue & Gold shades while doing his job!

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Compared to what he's either done or been accused of? Yeah, I've been pretty much never done anything wrong.

Why do you seem to be the only one who thinks he's worthy of being defended? Probably because he isn't.

so the fact he was not guilty , he is still being judged by some as though he is

I am defending not Lance but a persons right to change and overcome

even if its after 5 tries

imbtyler
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

He's not the only one who thinks he's worthy of being defended, but to be honest, I'm a little sick of alllll the Lance controversy, especially when this is a thread about hating Mike Wells. The post I made for Wells' tweet about Lance being suited has almost 260 replies. That's less than most of the game threads lately. Everyone here is so easy and quick to ***** about him, but the truth of the matter is, we're all wrong. As a conspiracy theorist, I still say that something he said or did was blown out of proportion in order to make TJ's seem more "legitimate".

As far as Mike Wells goes, I didn't care about whether or not he gets fired, but the fact that he just tries to stir up more controversy about players when only the truth is important, is just immature in his own right. "Beat Writer" or not, he's not a journalist, he's a columnist with privileges. I understand that you can throw around opinions on your Twitter page because that's what it's for, but when your job is as simple and important as providing truthful facts (not biased opinions) to the fans and readers, there's no reason for him to spout off about a player in such a biased fashion.

If you want a new beat writer, I'll do it.

Will Galen
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM

I liked Montieth better. I don't like todays sensational style of reporting where newspapers slant stories to paint people in the worst light. Sure they do that to sell newspapers, but what happens when there isn't anything to report? Often they turn to National Inquirer type reporting or just flat out make rumors up.

I don't believe "it's the publics right to know everything," because innocent people often get hurt. And why do beat writers have to report a teams dirty laundry? I bet a lot of you that want to hear all this dirty laundry sure wouldn't like it if it was you or your family's dirty laundry getting aired.

I could go on and on about this, but why bother?

As for Mike I didn't like him at first, because he seemed willing to report the worst about anyone. Now, I think he knows and likes a lot of the Pacer family and so his reporting is better balanced. Nope, I'm full against firing Mike now!

Sure if it's important, but there's always been fists fights between players.

Kstat
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
so the fact he was not guilty , he is still being judged by some as though he is

...which would be appropriate if people were clamoring for him to be in jail.

He has a right to his freedom. That's all. Nobody's trying to take that from him.

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
You continually defend Lance by saying everyone has to be perfect to be able to say anything, then when that line of thinking is challenged, you're confused by it?

I guess since I'm not perfect I can't point out that Ted Bundy is a murderer either. I hate when not being perfect gets in the way of pointing out facts. Just like with Mike Wells, anyone who states a fact about the kid must be a blind hater to you.

another smart azz comment

1 wasnt talking to you man
2 when did I say someone had to be perfect?

I said people are so muther funkin qucik to judge people and castrate them all to hell, yet apparently those people have never looked in the mirror

look you can want Lance off the team and I have no problem with that way of thinking

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN COMMENTS ARE MADE TO THE EXTREEM OF "YEAH HE WILL BE IN PRISON" OR OTHER WAY OVER THE TOP COMMENTS

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Come on, fellas... Isn't there already a 250+ post thread dealing with all things Lance?

BillS
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
The only problem I have is that there seems to be a lack of the follow-up question which would do wonders to clarify a controversial statement or event.

It sometimes seems that we end up with the leading tweet or the selected quotes that leave a story open rather than closed. A beat reporter's job, unlike a columnist's job, is to get the facts and provide them, not just get the speculation and invite argument over what it means.

There have been too many times we are left dangling rather than getting specific info (or even a specific "would not discuss" from various movers and shakers). Which, of course, means all the people without any access are left to speculate and no one can prove anyone right or wrong because we're all still in the dark.

xBulletproof
04-11-2011, 05:22 PM
1 wasnt talking to you man
2 when did I say someone had to be perfect?

I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN COMMENTS ARE MADE TO THE EXTREEM OF "YEAH HE WILL BE IN PRISON" OR OTHER WAY OVER THE TOP COMMENTS

You're on a message board, you don't have to be talking to me for me to read and respond. If you want that, PM someone. Pretty damn simple concept. If you don't think someone has to be perfect to comment on it, then why do you keep repeating it, over and over?

"Oh yeah, I bet you're perfect, aren't you?!!"

You've said it quite a few times over the months, including multiple times just today.

Lastly, you have problems with comments that aren't even close to over the top. You have a problem with anything, anyone says about Lance. I doubt Mike Wells said anything over the top like that, but here you are ......

Peck
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
If Mike Wells had been the beat reporter starting in about 2002 Ron Artest would not have had the legion of fans who were willing to go to the end of the earth to forgive what they considered minor incidents.

If people would have known early on how much trouble he was causing behind the scene's PS&E might have felt more inclined to look to move him and not wait till it exploded & then dumped him for nothing in return.

Now that is not to say that there wouldn't have been some Artest fans willing to keep going back every time because there were several right on here who either knew or had a really good idea what was going on and didn't care.

I think Mike is a good beat writer and covers the team very well.

Now having said that I do think the O.P. has a point. Not having an article dedicated to the N.Y. game and only the N.Y. game is probably wrong. Every game counts, even if it doesn't coun in the playoff standings. If it doesn't count I either want a full or partial refund for the tickets that I purchased.

But since they do count I am not asking for one.

Peck
04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
The only problem I have is that there seems to be a lack of the follow-up question which would do wonders to clarify a controversial statement or event.

It sometimes seems that we end up with the leading tweet or the selected quotes that leave a story open rather than closed. A beat reporter's job, unlike a columnist's job, is to get the facts and provide them, not just get the speculation and invite argument over what it means.

There have been too many times we are left dangling rather than getting specific info (or even a specific "would not discuss" from various movers and shakers). Which, of course, means all the people without any access are left to speculate and no one can prove anyone right or wrong because we're all still in the dark.

While I love it myself because I enjoy the information he does tweet out and puts in his blogs, I often wonder if maybe a beat writer shouldn't be more "pure" for lack of a better word?

Is there a point in time where you cross from being a journalist to commentator? In sports reporting does it matter? I'm not sure the answers here.

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I liked Montieth better. I don't like todays sensational style of reporting where newspapers slant stories to paint people in the worst light. Sure they do that to sell newspapers, but what happens when there isn't anything to report? Often they turn to National Inquirer type reporting or just flat out make rumors up.

I don't believe "it's the publics right to know everything," because innocent people often get hurt. And why do beat writers have to report a teams dirty laundry? I bet a lot of you that want to hear all this dirty laundry sure wouldn't like it if it was you or your family's dirty laundry getting aired.

I could go on and on about this, but why bother?

As for Mike I didn't like him at first, because he seemed willing to report the worst about anyone. Now, I think he knows and likes a lot of the Pacer family and so his reporting is better balanced. Nope, I'm full against firing Mike now!

Sure if it's important, but there's always been fists fights between players.

Why do beat writers have to report a teams dirty laundry...? Because isn't his job to "Report the news?" Anything, "Fit to print?!"

The "fist fight" that I'm referring to happened a couple short days before a very famous "brawl". Kind of tell's me that this fist fight was indeed newsworthy and shouldn't have been buried especially when the team leader makes statements like either him or me!

As for your point of, "I bet a lot of you that want to hear all this dirty laundry sure wouldn't like it if it was you or your family's dirty laundry getting aired." Neither myself or my family is a professional sports team that relies on public perception to make ends meet, so I really don't see your point at all!

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Bill, it seems like The Indianapolis Star allows M. Wells to wear both hats. When he blogs and tweets, it feels like it is Mike the Columnist, but anything that is in the actual newspaper is Mike the Pacers beat reporter.

I don't seem to mind this because I feel that Well's opinion is a lot more informed when it comes to the NBA than the Star's actual local sports columnist.

Strummer
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see Wells gone. The sooner the better. Let him go back to covering the Timberwolves so he can enjoy his job.

I've been reading Indy beat writers covering the Pacers since the 70s. The only one I remember who was worse than Wells was Bill Benner and his constant hatred for James Edwards.

Wells doesn't seem to have strong connections to the team. That's not surprising considering the articles he writes. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with him if I was in the Pacers org.

Wells seems to think the Pacers are giving up on Lance. But is that true or just conjecture? He hasn't ever seemed to have any inside info on Lance. He reported Lance wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team until his legal difficulties were settled. Then someone here on forum spotted Lances locker. Turns out he was allowed in the facilities after all.

Wells reported in the first week of pre-season that the Pacers were getting tired of telling Lance the same thing repeatedly. Like that meant they were about to give up on him. Before he even suited up for his first game. I don't think the Pacers had ANY intention of giving up on Lance that soon.

Wells reported Lance was suspended. Nope, turns out he was just dropped to 4th string. Good reporting Wells.

Oh, and now he's saying it was a mistake to give him a guaranteed contract. Seriously? He's costing them less than $900k next year. And they should have plenty of roster spots to carry him.

Do I think an immature player frustrates the PTB? Sure. Just like an immature child frustrates parents. But sometimes that's just part of the deal. You don't give up on your kids and the Pacers shouldn't give up on Lance. But I don't think Mike Wells is mature enough to understands that. So I'd cut Mike cause I think he's too old to learn.

(Oh, and should I mention his reporting of the Mayo trade as a "done deal"? He used Michael Heisley as his source. And reported a trade that obviously couldn't work under the CBA. Why have a beat writer that doesn't have Pacer sources? They don't trust him and neither should we.)

redfoster
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I do agree that it doesn't seem like he really gives a crap about the team, but luckily I don't give a crap about the Indy Star, so it all works out for me.

There are a thousand blogs I would rather follow to get news/opinions, including 2 very solid ones about the Pacers specifically (Cornrow and 8pts9secs) so whatever.

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
You're on a message board, you don't have to be talking to me for me to read and respond. If you want that, PM someone. Pretty damn simple concept. If you don't think someone has to be perfect to comment on it, then why do you keep repeating it, over and over?

"Oh yeah, I bet you're perfect, aren't you?!!"

You've said it quite a few times over the months, including multiple times just today.

Lastly, you have problems with comments that aren't even close to over the top. You have a problem with anything, anyone says about Lance. I doubt Mike Wells said anything over the top like that, but here you are ......

your not accurate here bro

I never said "I bet your perfect" , but something simmilar yes. I have also bashed on Lance before.

I dont like the "mob mentality " of judgement sometimes shown here, thats all

I also root for the downtrodden, the underdogs, the vile of society that they will change and become better men

thats all

truth is I really dont give a **** about Lance, its more about being less judgmental

thats all man

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Bill, it seems like The Indianapolis Star allows M. Wells to wear both hats. When he blogs and tweets, it feels like it is Mike the Columnist, but anything that is in the actual newspaper is Mike the Pacers beat reporter.

I don't seem to mind this because I feel that Well's opinion is a lot more informed when it comes to the NBA than the Star's actual local sports columnist.

Excellent point man

90'sNBARocked
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see Wells gone. The sooner the better. Let him go back to covering the Timberwolves so he can enjoy his job.

I've been reading Indy beat writers covering the Pacers since the 70s. The only one I remember who was worse than Wells was Bill Benner and his constant hatred for James Edwards.

Wells doesn't seem to have strong connections to the team. That's not surprising considering the articles he writes. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with him if I was in the Pacers org.

Wells seems to think the Pacers are giving up on Lance. But is that true or just conjecture? He hasn't ever seemed to have any inside info on Lance. He reported Lance wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the team until his legal difficulties were settled. Then someone here on forum spotted Lances locker. Turns out he was allowed in the facilities after all.

Wells reported in the first week of pre-season that the Pacers were getting tired of telling Lance the same thing repeatedly. Like that meant they were about to give up on him. Before he even suited up for his first game. I don't think the Pacers had ANY intention of giving up on Lance that soon.

Wells reported Lance was suspended. Nope, turns out he was just dropped to 4th string. Good reporting Wells.

Oh, and now he's saying it was a mistake to give him a guaranteed contract. Seriously? He's costing them less than $900k next year. And they should have plenty of roster spots to carry him.

Do I think an immature player frustrates the PTB? Sure. Just like an immature child frustrates parents. But sometimes that's just part of the deal. You don't give up on your kids and the Pacers shouldn't give up on Lance. But I don't think Mike Wells is mature enough to understands that. So I'd cut Mike cause I think he's too old to learn.

(Oh, and should I mention his reporting of the Mayo trade as a "done deal"? He used Michael Heisley as his source. And reported a trade that obviously couldn't work under the CBA. Why have a beat writer that doesn't have Pacer sources? They don't trust him and neither should we.)

Kudos!

I thought this was an excellent response

speakout4
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Mike is such a breath of fresh air compared to Mark.. If you watched the game there was absolutely nothing that Mark added and clearly he was not going to make waves. I have no strong feelings about Wells but am glad his oatmeal predecessor is gone.

El Pacero
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I also root for the downtrodden, the underdogs, the vile of society that they will change and become better men

Sorry man, but I'm stuck in my women wrestling ways and nothing's going to change me.

I wasn't a big fan of Wells until I heard him on the Grady / Big Joe show on 1070. He is really funny on that show & it made me realize a lot of times (like with his tweets) he's not trying to bash on the Pacers, but just trying to be funny. It works better when you hear his voice.

It almost seems to me like he's trying to send messages to the team about Lance.

LetsTalkPacers
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I would love to see Mike Wells canned. Never could stand him.

Mr_Smith
04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Firing coaches to firing beat writers.....whats next?? I like Mike Wells, he keeps it real and people don't like realists I guess.

Sookie
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't mind Wells. Sometimes I don't agree with him..actually..I don't think his basketball knowledge is all that fantastic, and he tends to ride bandwagons...but in terms of getting information from the team, and being honest..he's pretty good.

The follow up question could be a problem, but you've got to remember Wells can only know however much people tell him. Like with the Lance issue, he can't tell us what Lance did, because he doesn't know because the team won't disclose it.

Kaufman
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
where the heck did robin miller go? anyone? he can't be that old.

Will Galen
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I would never advocate firing anyone, but I would be okay with Well's being given Bob Kravitz's job and Bob taking on the roll of Jimmy Olson!

Naptown_Seth
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
I like Mike Wells and he gives a lot of information on what's going on with the team behind the scenes.

He does tend to stir the pot a little, but it gets people thinking.

No way should he be fired though.
I'm not sure taking the lid off the pot to let you see what's bubbling in there is "stirring it".

I think the pot is being stirred plenty without Mike or PD fans. From how the players really felt under JOB to how they are dealing with Lance, issues are there whether Mike tweets them or not.

As a fan I think I'd rather know than not know.

Bball
04-12-2011, 12:31 AM
where the heck did robin miller go? anyone? he can't be that old.

Robin Miller was fired from the Star sometime after the Gannet purchase.

He's currently a writer and commentator for www.speed.com and the SpeedTV.

He's also been allowed to moonlight as a race reporter on Versus for the Indycar races this season.

HoopMoney
04-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Step your game up

Last night's game was a huge letdown. We choke in the fourth quarter, score only 13 points, turn the ball over 6 times, Melo drops a game winner on us and Granger is still learning how to be clutch against the hated Knicks. So many story lines I could go on and on.

I wake up this morning from PTOing the whole day and doing the Area 55 thing to another disappointment. Our infamous Pacer beat writer/insider bloger Mike Wells over dose's on some Lance. He rehashes the same story from the day before with no inside information on what happened. Why are we beating a dead horse? Everyone knows Stephenson is a knuckle head. I'm not saying that he should've buried the story, that's his job. What I'm saying is that why OD on it? He's distracting the public from what's really important. The Pacers are in the playoffs! Who asked Danny why he only shot two free throws after the media make a big deal about him making a concerted effort to go to the hoop? Nobody.

Mike gives Lance grief but who gives Wells grief? Bob Kravitz writes a column about how it's not time to pass judgment on Frank yet. Then why don't you wait and write it when it is time and you have a take. Time has past the Indy Star by. People are getting their insightful information from amateur blogers not the pros.

Did anybody hear Mike Wells on 1070 today? They call him the guy that covers the Pacers like no other. He sounds like he would be a cool person to talk Pacers with. The commentators on the radio know just enough about the NBA to ask him some good questions and he does a decent job of answering them. Did he save his material for the show? How often is he on? Once a month?

He may be personable and approachable and accessible to fans on Twitter. The problem comes when he has to ask the questions and get quotes from the players. Has he ever heard of a follow up question? I think it's funny when he gets bogus information and it makes him look like a fool. Why does that happen? Because the players hate him and just barely tolerate him. We are not getting more inside information that only he could get. We are getting less because the players don't trust him. Their is a fine line in knowing what to report and what to keep secret.

I don't hate on Wells for being negative. Sometimes the truth is negative. Maybe I just have too high of an opinion of what a beat writer should be. I probably need to dumb down my expectations. It seems that the more experienced Pacer fans with greater perspective are not fooled by the sensational style of reporting that he sometimes employs. Am I railing on him just because of the Lance thing? No, It's his body of work.

Do I really want Mike Wells to be fired from IndyStar? Am I out to get him and bash him every chance I get? No, what I really want is for him to step his game up. Don't be fooled, everyone that knows anything about the Pacers reads PD. How could you not? Mike will read this I'm sure. I could e-mail him or write to Indystar. Na.

When I first tried to post this thread, 'FIRE Mike Wells' was not the title. For some reason it wouldn't post so I changed the name then 'woop there it is.'

I was surprised that only one person on here thinks that they would be a good beat writer if given a chance. Imbtyler you got the job. lol

Now lets talk Pacers. Does anybody have any insight? Does anybody want to put a few paragraphs together and have a take on something? Drop some knowledge on me I'm starving. Oww!

HoopMoney
04-12-2011, 02:12 AM
'Ford keeps his mind in the game despite inactivity'

That is not what I meant when I asked for you to step up your game up. Another sad showing, try again tomorrow. Now we have all day to think about how if Price and or Collison struggle we have Ford keeping his mind in the game.

BillS
04-12-2011, 10:15 AM

My concern is that unless there is someone who fills in the blanks and brings out the facts behind what the columnists are using to stir up controversy and interest, then the controversy and interest don't help anything and they certainly don't lead to answers.

At some point you need all of Who What When Where Why and How, not just Who and Guessing

I'm not sure taking the lid off the pot to let you see what's bubbling in there is "stirring it".

I think the pot is being stirred plenty without Mike or PD fans. From how the players really felt under JOB to how they are dealing with Lance, issues are there whether Mike tweets them or not.

As a fan I think I'd rather know than not know.

To stick with this analogy, I think we're far too often getting the lid taken off just enough to see that there IS boiling, then the lid is closed and everyone has to guess what is actually bubbling.

Ultimately, that's a disservice to the fans and not what I would define as the responsibility of a "news" reporter.

Wells himself is fine as long as SOMEONE is doing the in-depth fact finding and reporting. If all we have are Wells and Kravitz, who both want to be "personalities" rather than "reporters", we're hampered.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I just can't stand the few who believes he should be gone because he "can't say anything positive about the team".

He isn't here to put butter on your toast. Nor is he here to make you feel good inside. He reports what is given to him by the front office and what is seen in the locker room.

I understand some of you "hardcore fans" believe you deserve everything spoon-fed to you with a smile but I really do think you are trying to perceive him as a fan and not a reporter/writer. He isn't paid to be a fan. Like I said, if you want all-positive content, read Conran Brunner's blog. You'll get that there.

The Star wants stories and opinion that compells the reader. Just like any news outlet they have to do whatever they can to get people to come to them for their information.

But you guys want him to mail it in. Okay. Here it goes...

"The Pacers lost 110-109 against the Knicks. Danny played well, Darren played well. Carmelo Anthony scored the winning shot."

That's just commentary. Something you can get from a simple box score. Why does Mike need to apparently sugar-coat everything for you guys? Life, and more specifically this team isn't all sunshine and lollipops. It isn't. We apparently have a 20-year-old primadonna in the locker room causing trouble, and I for one would like to know what is going on. Just like other fans here and outside of this message board.

And if Mike Wells isn't the one who butters your toast in the morning, so be it. Read something else.

BRushWithDeath
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I just can't stand the few who believes he should be gone because he "can't say anything positive about the team".

He isn't here to put butter on your toast. Nor is he here to make you feel good inside. He reports what is given to him by the front office and what is seen in the locker room.

Has your account been hacked?

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Has your account been hacked?
Eh, probably. I hardly ever come here anymore.

naptownmenace
04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

"The Pacers lost 110-109 against the Knicks. Danny played well, Darren played well. Carmelo Anthony scored the winning shot."

That's just commentary. Something you can get from a simple box score. Why does Mike need to apparently sugar-coat everything for you guys? Life, and more specifically this team isn't all sunshine and lollipops. It isn't. We apparently have a 20-year-old primadonna in the locker room causing trouble, and I for one would like to know what is going on. Just like other fans here and outside of this message board.

And if Mike Wells isn't the one who butters your toast in the morning, so be it. Read something else.

I think you're slightly missing the point of what a game recap is. It's for those who didn't get to see the game as much as it is for those who are diehards. Yahoo sure seems to do a great job of this. I know because that's where I go the morning after a Pacers game.

Here's their breakdown of the Pacers\Knicks game and somehow they managed to weave in background stories such as the Knicks record since the Melo trade, the Donnie Walsh job rumors, and some info about Tyler playing great against the Knicks this season without overshadowing the fact that the Pacers and the Knicks played an interesting basketball game.

Anthony, Knicks top Pacers for 7th straight win
Apr 10, 11:53 pm EDT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Carmelo Anthony(notes) insisted it would take some time for the New York Knicks to show their true potential after the blockbuster trade that brought him and Chauncey Billups(notes) over from Denver.

His prediction seems to be right on.

Anthony scored 34 points, making the go-ahead jumper with 4.9 seconds left and blocking a potential winning attempt by Danny Granger(notes), helping the Knicks beat the Indiana Pacers 110-109 on Sunday night for their seventh straight win.
Teammates help New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony up off the court during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis, Sunday, April 10, 2011. New York won 110-109.

New York went 7-12 after the trade with Denver in February, including six consecutive losses. The Knicks beat Orlando on March 28 to start their current winning streak.

“As a team, we’ve come a long way since I’ve gotten here,” Anthony said. “I think everybody bought into what’s going on, bought into the Mike D’Antoni system. I told you it was going to take some time. It’s starting to click, offensively and defensively.”

Billups had 21 points and seven assists, and Toney Douglas(notes) scored 14 for the Knicks (42-38), who moved a game ahead of idle Philadelphia for the No. 6 seed in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.

“It was bigger than that,” Anthony said. “It was a big game for us confidence-wise. Coming down the stretch, finishing out the regular season with some good momentum, trying to make a big push. Tonight was another game we had to finish out.”

New York, which trailed by 11 early in the fourth quarter, used a 10-0 run to cut the deficit to 98-97. Granger’s 3-pointer and Josh McRoberts’(notes) runner stopped the spurt and helped Indiana regain the momentum.

The Pacers extended their advantage to 109-103 with 3:31 left, but the Knicks scored the next five points, including Landry Fields’(notes) dunk with 39 seconds left, to get within 109-108.

After Darren Collison(notes) missed a jumper on the Pacers’ ensuing possession, the Knicks got the ball back with 13 seconds remaining. Anthony got the ball, made a couple moves and fired a 19-footer over Granger’s outstretched hand.

“I just love those moments,” Anthony said. “I make the shot, I’m a hero. I don’t, move on to the next game.

“I knew it was in,” he added. “Some of them, I’m kind of skeptical about. As soon as I released it, you just get that feeling. I came to the bench and told Jared (Jeffries), ‘If we get a stop, we’re going to go home happy.”’

D’Antoni left it up to Anthony on the Knicks’ final offensive possession.

“You let Melo go to work,” D’Antoni said, “and it all works out.”

Granger tried to give Indiana the win with time running out, but Anthony got a piece of his jumper. Collison caught the ball in the air and missed a shot of his own. Mike Dunleavy missed a tip at the buzzer, although it may have been too late, anyway.

“We had the game, let it get away,” Granger said. “I have no comments on the final play of the game.”

Granger finished with 20 points and Roy Hibbert(notes) added 19 points and 10 rebounds for Indiana (37-44). The Pacers are locked into the No. 8 playoff seed.

“A tough loss down the stretch,” Pacers interim coach Frank Vogel said. “They made the plays and we didn’t.”

The Pacers, who trailed by six at halftime, outscored New York 35-20 in the third quarter to open a nine-point lead. Hibbert’s jumper gave Indiana a 93-87 advantage and A.J. Price’s(notes) 3-pointer at the buzzer made it 96-87.

Notes: Knicks president Donnie Walsh made his first road trip of the season beyond Newark for Sunday’s game. He had hip replacement surgery in November, limiting his travel to two games at New Jersey. Walsh, the former Pacers president whose contract is not guaranteed for next season with the Knicks, denied speculation that he could return to the Pacers. “I’m angry about that,” Walsh said Sunday. “There’s absolutely no truth to it. I never talked to (Pacers owner) Herb Simon or anybody else about it.” Walsh still has a home in the Indianapolis area. Pacers forward Tyler Hansbrough(notes) is averaging 24.3 points in three games against New York this season. He set career highs 29 and 30 points in a three-day span against the Knicks in March. Hansbrough did not play in the teams’ first game in January because of a coach’s decision.

That's how it should be done!

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Ever think that he wasn't writing a game recap? Quite frankly do you want another game recap that you can access easily on multiple websites? He was writing about a rather significant topic, Lance being demoted when earlier this season all we heard is Lance needs to get time.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I think you're slightly missing the point of what a game recap is. It's for those who didn't get to see the game as much as it is for those who are diehards. Yahoo sure seems to do a great job of this. I know because that's where I go the morning after a Pacers game.

Here's their breakdown of the Pacers\Knicks game and somehow they managed to weave in background stories such as the Knicks record since the Melo trade, the Donnie Walsh job rumors, and some info about Tyler playing great against the Knicks this season without overshadowing the fact that the Pacers and the Knicks played an interesting basketball game.

That's how it should be done!

Ever think that he wasn't writing a game recap? Quite frankly do you want another game recap that you can access easily on multiple websites? He was writing about a rather significant topic, Lance being demoted when earlier this season all we heard is Lance needs to get time.
Menace, I think you're missing the point of what Wells' day-to-day is. Outside of recapping a game. He is with the team the majority of the practices, gamedays, etc. He is like the fly on the wall in the locker room.

You also need to understand that sometimes AP could be from any media outlet, including some of Mike's stuff on Indystar.

Peck
04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I'll say again, I like Wells I think he does a great job of covering the Pacers. I like his blog, I like his tweets.

However it is wrong to not do a game recap.

kellogg
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't stand Wells. His articles are fluff and the analysis sophomoric at best (that's high school level, by the way). The guy makes unbelievable grammatical errors that I'd expect from a Joe Schome like me, but is inexcusable for a pro. Maybe his editor is also at fault for allowing them to go to print. It's funny that when I've caught one of his bigger mistakes and then commented on them on the IndyStar site, that they never, ever get posted...but the error is quickly corrected...so I guess that's a plus.

And I know a lot of posters might disagree, but I still blame him for stirring the pot with Artest. The guy is a powderkeg already, and you start getting him to mouth off about Carlisle's offense and playing for another team...and the next thing you know the headlines read 'Artest wants to be traded'. Not trying to say this to defend Artest, but the guy is already prone to impulsive behavior, and I felt Wells just lit the match and stoked the fire more than he needed to.
Now instead of writing about the first playoff we're in in 5 years, all he's writing about is our troubled but talented 19 year old second round pick, who in the big picture has been insignificant on and off the court this season. I'm not condoning his behavior from last summer with his girlfriend (a case that was dismissed), but overall his behavior can't at all be even remotely compared to the guys we got rid of: S Williams (murderer buddies, buddies with drugs), Tins (bar fights, shootouts around monument circle), SJax (firing guns, kicking handicapped guy, running into stands to beat up fan), etc.

Again maybe he's the best Indy can get though...if so, that's just sad.

I don't always agree with Kravitz, but at least when he writes you can tell he has sent it through spell-check and that it reads as if he actually passed his freshman English composition class.

Trophy
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Mike Wells speaks the honest truth.

You may agree or disagree with some of his opinions, but he tends to always back up his statements with facts.

I appreciate his tweets during the game just to give us a scoop on what's going on and who's doing what on the bench and also potential rumors.

I agree with Duke that Conrad Brunner brings more sunshine into his blogs mainly because he's posting for the official team website.

I like both bloggers, but I prefer Wells because of the facts he mentions with his honest opinion. He speaks positive things when the team is doing things right and negative when the team is struggling and mentions what the team is doing wrong.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 03:42 PM
anyone miss Seku Smith (sp?)

I liked his style

Trophy
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
anyone miss Seku Smith (sp?)

I liked his style

He reminds me a little of Mike Wells based on his facts and honest opinion.

I like his inputs on NBA TV.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll say again, I like Wells I think he does a great job of covering the Pacers. I like his blog, I like his tweets.

However it is wrong to not do a game recap.
Doesn't he usually? That is unless there isn't a game that day...

Peck
04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Doesn't he usually? That is unless there isn't a game that day...

Yes, that is what was so odd about this article he wrote. His game recap was basically inside another Lance article. It should have been the other way around.

Strummer
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM

I understand some of you "hardcore fans" believe you deserve everything spoon-fed to you with a smile but I really do think you are trying to perceive him as a fan and not a reporter/writer. He isn't paid to be a fan. Like I said, if you want all-positive content, read Conran Brunner's blog. You'll get that there.

The Star wants stories and opinion that compells the reader. Just like any news outlet they have to do whatever they can to get people to come to them for their information.

You're very naive if you think negative sports stories sell papers. No one buys a paper to hear about an immature 20 year old. Most adults expect 20 year olds to be immature. I don't need Mike Wells to tell me that Lance is immature. And the idea that a 20 year old who isn't even playing is causing discontent in the locker room is laughable. He may be annoying but he isn't affecting the mood of the team. Not with the vets anyway and there's no reason to believe he's affecting the younger players either.

Lance is a prima donna? Why because Mike Wells says so? He's been wrong with just about everything he "reported" about Lance. Why? Because he has no sources (except probably TJ) with the team. He has no credibility.

Wells likes to attack Bird because he doesn't think he's a good GM. How many times did we have to read his whining because Bird was taking too long to find a point guard. Turns out Bird knew what he was doing. It was Mike Wells that had no clue.

And yes, the negative reporting hurts the team. It makes people not want to read the stories and follow the team. It makes people not buy tickets. Sure there are some people like yourself who prefer to read gossip with no facts to back it up. But you're in the minority.

It's nice that Wells "butters your toast". I'm happy for you, if that's what you need to start your day. I like toast too, but really, don't we expect a little more from our beat writer than that? Like maybe a beat writer that can cook an entire meal? And maybe a different meal everyday? Why should we have to settle for the same negative toast, day after day.

sportfireman
04-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Mike Wells has to be the worst beat writer in the NBA. He should be shipped to the D-league. How can the guy skip writing about the Pacers against the Knicks in the last home game of the season with the team making a playoff push? Was their not enough story lines?

Mike you need to step your game up. Are you tired of your job? Are you mad that you will have to move your vacation back a couple of weeks? Is the fact that the players hate talking to you hurting your ability to do your job? Do you not care anymore because nobody reads newspapers anyway? Is your true love tennis not basketball? Are you tired of the weather here and want to take your talents to south beach? Is your salary so pathetic that it only deserves half a** effort? Are you as lazy as you look?

Wells wrote a little piece called 'Pacers lose to Knicks as Stephenson earns place on bench' and all it talked about is Lance. The game was just a footnote to him. He already wrote in his Pacer Insider Blog about Lance. Why make the Pacer game about Lance? Why are you always a Debbie Downer? Is your personality so terrible that you can't help but be that way? You need to take some lessons from your predecessors. Or better yet just quit and find a different profession.

This is not the first time that he has completely missed the boat. This is just the straw that broke the camels back. Too many times he writes a piece the day after some amateur blogger writes something similar. I say FIRE Mike Wells! Give someone on Pacers Digest access to the players. There has to be dozens of guys on here that would do a better job than him.

First off I think Wells is a good writer..... great no but definitely good.

Secondly apparently there's not much to talk about until the playoffs start which is why we have almost 8,500 views and 310 posts on the subject of Lance being inactive. So I guess Wells is writing about what we find interesting. How many views and post are there in the Bulls vs Pacers playoffs Rd 1 are there?

Oh wait I don't see one...... oh well

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, that is what was so odd about this article he wrote. His game recap was basically inside another Lance article. It should have been the other way around.
Hot topics usually take precidence.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
You're very naive if you think negative sports stories sell papers. No one buys a paper to hear about an immature 20 year old. Most adults expect 20 year olds to be immature. I don't need Mike Wells to tell me that Lance is immature. And the idea that a 20 year old who isn't even playing is causing discontent in the locker room is laughable. He may be annoying but he isn't affecting the mood of the team. Not with the vets anyway and there's no reason to believe he's affecting the younger players either.

Lance is a prima donna? Why because Mike Wells says so? He's been wrong with just about everything he "reported" about Lance. Why? Because he has no sources (except probably TJ) with the team. He has no credibility.

Wells likes to attack Bird because he doesn't think he's a good GM. How many times did we have to read his whining because Bird was taking too long to find a point guard. Turns out Bird knew what he was doing. It was Mike Wells that had no clue.

And yes, the negative reporting hurts the team. It makes people not want to read the stories and follow the team. It makes people not buy tickets. Sure there are some people like yourself who prefer to read gossip with no facts to back it up. But you're in the minority.

It's nice that Wells "butters your toast". I'm happy for you, if that's what you need to start your day. I like toast too, but really, don't we expect a little more from our beat writer than that? Like maybe a beat writer that can cook an entire meal? And maybe a different meal everyday? Why should we have to settle for the same negative toast, day after day.
Oh my God, I never said it sold the whole paper. My point was that you need to give the most meat and potatoes on a topic or you'll go find it somewhere else! (Since we're on the food subject now.)

If he is doing PS&E such a disservice, why haven't they kicked him out yet? Why doesn't Bird or somebody kick him out of the locker room!? To back up my other point by letting everything be out in the public so they aren't trying to lose credibility.

I'm pretty sure what Wells has to say is not gossip.

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
First off I think Wells is a good writer..... great no but definitely good.

Secondly apparently there's not much to talk about until the playoffs start which is why we have almost 8,500 views and 310 posts on the subject of Lance being inactive. So I guess Wells is writing about what we find interesting. How many views and post are there in the Bulls vs Pacers playoffs Rd 1 are there?

Oh wait I don't see one...... oh well

And that is why Mike Wells wrote an article about Lance Stephenson being benched. Its a hot topic. You may not like it, but it generates far more discussion than a simple game recap.

Sure negative sports stories don't sell papers, but quite frankly nothing Wells writes is selling papers. And that isn't a shot at Wells, its just the current state of newspapers. People aren't buying the paper to read about the Pacers.

Strummer
04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Oh my God, I never said it sold the whole paper. My point was that you need to give the most meat and potatoes on a topic or you'll go find it somewhere else! (Since we're on the food subject now.)

If he is doing PS&E such a disservice, why haven't they kicked him out yet? Why doesn't Bird or somebody kick him out of the locker room!? To back up my other point by letting everything be out in the public so they aren't trying to lose credibility.

I'm pretty sure what Wells has to say is not gossip.

But see, he's not giving us meat and potatoes. Just look at the recent incident.

First he "reported" that Lance was suspended.

That wasn't true, but it sure gets everyone riled up.

Then he reports that Lance has really only been dropped to 4th string as a disciplinary measure. The Pacers make it a habit of benching players so that's not a big surprise.

Ok, so now he seems to have that right because he has quotes to back it up.

But why couldn't he get the correct story initially? Why could he only get the Pacers to talk to him after he put forth an erroneous story? Makes me wonder.

And why isn't he reporting what Lance did? Where is the meat and potatoes? This is where the meat and potatoes should be. But all we get is toast with Wells because he doesn't have the access he should have. I suspect he's burned most of his bridges with the team.

I live in a college town. Athletes are getting suspended or benched all the time. 18 year olds, 19 year olds, 20 year olds, 21 year olds. It's common, kids that age are still learning.

So why is it surprising when Lance has an issue. Because he's a pro instead of a Sophomore we expect him to be perfect? That's unreasonable.

And yet once again Mike Wells is calling for Lance to be cut. He did the same before the season and he's still at it. And he insinuates that the Pacers feel the same way. Yet all the quotes I hear from Morway and Bird are positive. They know what they have in Lance and they're being patient and not anywhere near ready to give up on him. But that's not what Wells reports. So what's true, the quotes I hear from the PTB or the gossip that Mike Wells writes?

I'll take the Pacers word over Mike Wells any day.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
That's your response?

BillS
04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
That's your response?

What were you expecting? He gave a pretty strong example and a statement of what he expected to see instead.

What more do you want for a response?

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 05:33 PM
What were you expecting? He gave a pretty strong example and a statement of what he expected to see instead.

What more do you want for a response?

I want to know why it's okay that Lance should be given a free pass each time he screws up, just because he is 20 and college players do it all the time? Okay. Yeah. Sure.

It doesn't make sense. Sure, the first word out of that locker room could've been he was suspended, but when TJ Ford is now the 3rd point guard off the bench that sounds to me like a suspension.

BillS
04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I want to know why it's okay that Lance should be given a free pass each time he screws up, just because he is 20 and college players do it all the time? Okay. Yeah. Sure.

The real screw up was the situation with his girlfriend - that was bad on all kinds of levels as well as legal ones. The rest of it is really just a mouthy kid or a celeb getting caught with a pro. You may not want it around, it might cause some problems, but come on - it isn't on a level with getting into fist fights or altercations in public. Barring that one real screw up the rest of it really is the kind of things a college kid can get into.

Considering I tend to be surrounded by the "Pacers suck, they are all thugs" crowd and I hear almost nothing in regards to Lance, I don't think it is an issue or a risk of one.

Of course, this thread is about Mike Wells' reporting, which I've opined on separately...

Strummer
04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

See, now you're just hating. Changing the subject to attack Lance because it's easier and more fun for you than defending Wells.

I bet Lance doesn't feel like he got a free pass. I'm sure he wanted to play these last two games. But apparently you feel that wasn't a sufficient punishment. You call it a "free pass". How can you make that determination when you don't even know what Lance did? You're just following Mike Wells lead and calling for Lance's head for sport.

That's not fair to Lance. And that's a big reason why Mike Wells is bad for the Pacers.

But you tell me where I was wrong. Why couldn't Wells get the story right in the first place? Why doesn't he report what Lance did? How can you and he conclude that the punishment wasn't adequate without knowing what the issue was?

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
QUOTE=Strummer;1212149]I live in a college town. Athletes are getting suspended or benched all the time. 18 year olds, 19 year olds, 20 year olds, 21 year olds. It's common, kids that age are still learning.

So why is it surprising when Lance has an issue. Because he's a pro instead of a Sophomore we expect him to be perfect? That's unreasonable.

Thank you

If you were to read the board and some of the posts you would think the kid committed murder in the first degree

Does he need to grow up? Absolutely

Is he a thug or hardened criminal on a rampage? Absolutely not

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Wait, where in that article did Wells even say Lance was suspended?

sportfireman
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
And that is why Mike Wells wrote an article about Lance Stephenson being benched. Its a hot topic. You may not like it, but it generates far more discussion than a simple game recap.

Sure negative sports stories don't sell papers, but quite frankly nothing Wells writes is selling papers. And that isn't a shot at Wells, its just the current state of newspapers. People aren't buying the paper to read about the Pacers.

I think you misunderstood my post. The topic creator was stating that Lance's incident over shadowed the game. I was only stating that there is nothing else to report on or talk about until the playoffs start. So that's why Lance's inactivity was "news" for us at the moment. Re read my original post again and you may understand what I'm trying to explain.

Kaufman
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
no i think he got fired by speed too.

Robin Miller was fired from the Star sometime after the Gannet purchase.

He's currently a writer and commentator for www.speed.com and the SpeedTV.

He's also been allowed to moonlight as a race reporter on Versus for the Indycar races this season.

ilive4sports
04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I think you misunderstood my post. The topic creator was stating that Lance's incident over shadowed the game. I was only stating that there is nothing else to report on or talk about until the playoffs start. So that's why Lance's inactivity was "news" for us at the moment. Re read my original post again and you may understand what I'm trying to explain.

I was agreeing with your post, just wanted to attach my opinion with yours

HoopMoney
04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Here is a few quotes from IndyStar:

Why run any article on Stephenson with one game to play ? Is it appropriate and nessecary to put this info into the public ? What purpose does it serve ? He hasn't played during the regular season . He isn't a regular rotation player. He won't develope ANYTHING by playing in the last few meaningless games. Total BS article. None of the public's business. Was Vogel going to use him in the PLAYOFFS ? How many guys are going to play ? The roster gets shorter in the playoffs. Might want to tell them that. -BernieMac

I don't get the idea either, and the Pacers should make public Lances SAT scores.... -checkmybrain

I agree Bernie, it really seems like Wells has a grudge against Stephenson. This is about the 4th or 5th slam piece on Stephenson that has absolutely no facts in it. He was demoted for violating an unnamed team rule. This is not what you want to hear, but we are talking about our 12th man here. How do you not cover a game that was played last night? The Indy Star is a joke. He wrote this story yesterday and decided to reprint it today instead of covering an actual basketball game. I'm pretty sure last night's basketball game was more newsworthy than this rehashed Lance story. -MacDonald999

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Why write a huge "Lance Stephenson" article that is basically bad press for the Pacers, right as they are going into the playoffs? A small blurb about it would've been fine. It's not as if Stephenson has been an important part of the team. -FiveBanners

Lance Stephenson gets demoted part 3. The T.J. Ford side of the story. Maybe tomorrow they can print part 4: "Solomon Jones gets promoted to 14th man" -Antonymous71

Magnum Rolle just signed with Atlanta. Maybe tomorrow we can get 'the 15th man that could have been". These stories are way more interesting than talking about the playoffs or the actual games being played. -MacDonald999

Maybe he will do some actual reporting and find out why Granger and Jones got so upset with Stephenson in Houston, I believe is where is happened. The head line could be: "That incident in Houston months ago that I was too lazy to do actual reporting on, so instead I speculated and threw the rookie under the bus, but here is actually what happened". Kind of long, but it gets the point across. -Schooler

Would somebody at the Star please tell Wells that Lance Stephenson and T J Ford are destined for the door and are not the story lines for the upcoming playoffs. How about a story on someone who matters. Maybe Wells should be headed for the door. -Grayt0

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
What do those quotes have to do with anything, Markus?

Bball
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
no i think he got fired by speed too.

Not unless it was the end of last week or over the weekend.... I just read his "Miller Mailbag" for the first week in April (I think it was dated April 6th) on Speed.com

Edit: He was still at SpeedTV over the weekend... and his FB has no mention of a recent firing.

grace
04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Don't know if Miller got fired from Speed, but (unfortunately for my family and me) he is now working for Versus on the IndyCar series. Good Lord, I can't stand that man!!!!!

Kaufman
04-13-2011, 02:12 AM
i stand corrected. i misread this and other titles:
http://irldefender.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/robin-miller-fired-from-speed-tv/

HoopMoney
04-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Thank you IndyStar for reading this thread and giving Mike Wells a day off. You should have Jeff Rabjohns fill in more often. Bob Kravitz column is a couple days late but was good.

duke dynamite
04-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you IndyStar for reading this thread and giving Mike Wells a day off. You should have Jeff Rabjohns fill in more often. Bob Kravitz column is a couple days late but was good.
:picard:

naptownmenace
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Menace, I think you're missing the point of what Wells' day-to-day is. Outside of recapping a game. He is with the team the majority of the practices, gamedays, etc. He is like the fly on the wall in the locker room.

You also need to understand that sometimes AP could be from any media outlet, including some of Mike's stuff on Indystar.

I my original post I mentioned that I appreciate his inbetween game articles, his blog entries, and his Twitter updates.

I only have a problem with his game recaps. Most of the time his recaps are seriously lacking. I also realize what the AP is all about and where their sources come from. I was an online sports writer myself for 2 different websites in the past. Also, most of the AP articles still have a byline and when they do, I never see Mike Wells' name.

duke dynamite
04-13-2011, 09:40 AM
I my original post I mentioned that I appreciate his inbetween game articles, his blog entries, and his Twitter updates.

I only have a problem with his game recaps. Most of the time his recaps are seriously lacking. I also realize what the AP is all about and where their sources come from. I was an online sports writer myself for 2 different websites in the past. Also, most of the AP articles still have a byline and when they do, I never see Mike Wells' name.
I've seen it from time to time, not often, which is why I said sometimes.

I understand your part in the discussion, and I have no problem with it. I just feel that people are attacking someone who knows what he is talking about, and he doesn't deserve it.

This thread should've been closed as soon as it started. There is nothing wrong with critiquing someone's work, but to call for their head (job) is going a little too far. (Especially since we have other media outlets such as the AP, etc.) Like I've said, I like knowing what is going on behind the scenes and Mike does a good job of delivering that information.

BillS
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Here is a few quotes from IndyStar:

Oh, dear Lord, please don't start quoting IndyStar comments here where I have to read them.