PDA

View Full Version : Odds that Lance messes up this offseason

Speed
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Pretty simple question.

Forgot to allow write ins, shoot!

Kegboy
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Considering it's going to be a super-sized offseason, better than even easy. But hey, he turns 21 in September, maybe he'll magically grow up. :shrug:

Heisenberg
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
If he's still a Pacer? At least 75%. We cut/trade him, that immediately drops to below 5%. That's just how it works for us.

McKeyFan
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
He's turned out to be a simple pain . . . I mean pleasure . . . in the @ss.

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not ready to go to 100%.

But 75% does seem low.

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't l know and I really don't care . he's not playing, so why shoulod I care

Trader Joe
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Don't care what the odds are, just as long as somebody else is gambling on them.

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't l know and I really don't care . he's not playing, so why shoulod I care

If you don't care so much.... Why do you want us all to know that you don't care as much as you do? :D

beast23
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
He's turned out to be a simple pain . . . I mean pleasure . . . in the @ss.Now, if I had an inquiring mind, I might want to ask what you really mean by that. But no, I won't ask. I might be embarrassed by the answer.
:blush:

redfoster
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
If you don't care so much.... Why do you want us all to know that you don't care as much as you do? :D
Because what good would a thread on PD be without UncleBuck chiming in with an inane comment? You don't get to 25,000 posts by being selective about what you write.

As for Lance, meh. 50/50 probably. What is 'messing up' exactly? Odds of another YouTube video might be high, but I don't know if that is really him messing up.

Bball
04-11-2011, 11:39 PM
We needed another option... like a 99.9% option....

I think as long as the threshold of 'messes up' is something that shines a spotlight on himself in an embarrassing fashion (and thus the team as well) then I think it's pretty high.

It wouldn't have to be robbing a liquor store or selling drugs (though I wouldn't rule those out) but it could be some weird and/or illegal sexual encounter that makes the news, an argument with a fan, a disagreement at a restaurant, trouble on a plane, giving a weird interview, showing up somewhere inebriated, etc...

As long as those type things all count as 'messing up' then I'm confident we can count on Lance.

Hicks
04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I voted 50%, but I'm probably being generous.

sportfireman
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I say Lance gets it together and doesn't causes anymore negative attention to himself.

Constellations
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM

So...many...grammar...and...spelling...flaws....CA N'T...HANDLE...ANYMORE....

Psyren
04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Well considering it's his 21st birthday, add in some heavy amounts of liquor with his natural stupidity and I'd say the odds are upwards of 90%.

Major Cold
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Most Indiana sports fans who don't follow the Pacers still think we are thugs. This is not helping.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
What I dont understand and has yet to be explained is......

Why did the Pacers choose to air their dirty laundry?

If we worked so hard to move away from the team problems of the past, then why not keep it in the locker room? No one knows the exact violation, but I really struggle to understand why they choose to let the media know

They could have kept it internally and not dress Lance as he hasnt been dressed the last few games prior

Justin Tyme
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM

If we worked so hard to move away from the team problems of the past, then why not keep it in the locker room? No one knows the exact violation, but I really struggle to understand why they choose to let the media know

They could have kept it internally and not dress Lance as he hasnt been dressed the last few games prior

Could it be the Pacers wants the Public to know and understand how they feel about transgressors, and they will DEAL with transgressors transgressions? A message sent to the public they have changed, and they won't tolerate problem players. That the thuggish ways of players can't/won't be accepted.

Justin Tyme
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
IMO, it's just a "given" that Stephenson will mess up in what will be a long off season. That's why I voted 100%.

IIRC from my youth :D, unless it's changed, in NY 18 year olds can buy alcohol, so soon becoming legal age of 21, as in Indiana, doesn't mean anything in regards to drinking.

Shade
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM

He doesn't have to be playing to cause damage to the organization.

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Transparency is key to winning back the fanbase, sponsors, etc.

If you are honest, and say you're going to take care of a problem, it looks better than making it apparent that you're turning a blind eye.

However, this does open or intensify the debate as if they are doing enough by keeping him.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
We needed another option... like a 99.9% option....

I think as long as the threshold of 'messes up' is something that shines a spotlight on himself in an embarrassing fashion (and thus the team as well) then I think it's pretty high.

It wouldn't have to be robbing a liquor store or selling drugs (though I wouldn't rule those out) but it could be some weird and/or illegal sexual encounter that makes the news, an argument with a fan, a disagreement at a restaurant, trouble on a plane, giving a weird interview, showing up somewhere inebriated, etc...

As long as those type things all count as 'messing up' then I'm confident we can count on Lance.

I cant tell you how much I dislike the bolded statement

just curious why do you think Lance might sell drugs or rob someone? I dont believe he was charged with anything like that., EVER

Herein lies the problem with assumptions
usually just make an *** of yourself

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Could it be the Pacers wants the Public to know and understand how they feel about transgressors, and they will DEAL with transgressors transgressions? A message sent to the public they have changed, and they won't tolerate problem players. That the thuggish ways of players can't/won't be accepted.

I am not pickin on you Justin, but I really , really despise that phrase

I dont think we have any thugs or thuggish behavior

BRushWithDeath
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Herein lies the problem with assumptions
usually just make an *** of yourself

Until he knocks over the dealer who stiffs him one evening.

Mackey_Rose
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I am not pickin on you Justin, but I really , really despise that phrase

I dont think we have any thugs or thuggish behavior

You can call him whatever you want to call him, but he's a bad (and/or really stupid) guy.

Some franchises can deal with that in certain instances, because they either are winning to the point where people don't care, or they have built up enough goodwill over time that it can be overlooked.

The Pacers' franchise is in neither position.

If Lance was good enough that it was worth the bad publicity and perception, that would be one thing, but he isn't. Maybe eventually he figures it all out, and becomes a really good player, but I certainly don't expect that to ever happen. At this point, I don't know how you don't come to the conclusion that Lance is a huge risk, not worth taking.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
You can call him whatever you want to call him, but he's a bad (and/or really stupid) guy.

Some franchises can deal with that in certain instances, because they either are winning to the point where people don't care, or they have built up enough goodwill over time that it can be overlooked.

The Pacers' franchise is in neither position.

If Lance was good enough that it was worth the bad publicity and perception, that would be one thing, but he isn't. Maybe eventually he figures it all out, and becomes a really good player, but I certainly don't expect that to ever happen. At this point, I don't know how you don't come to the conclusion that Lance is a huge risk, not worth taking.

I will say he is selfish and immature, with an ego to boot

I dont see him as "bad" or a thug"

I also dont believe that Lance has the ability to pose that much of a risk. He will now be on an expiring contract and has received little time on the court

He is under contract so I think the Pacers will give him instructions for the summer and evaluate prior to the start of the season

If he proves he is turning the corner, then good

if not, waive his sorry ***

Since86
04-12-2011, 01:00 PM
How many more incidents do you give him?

One? Two? Three? Depends on what it is?

The kid has more PR issues this year than the entire team does combined for their careers. Obviously you can get players, and better players at that, without the baggage.

It's like dating a new girl. Why in the world would you want to stay with a new girl when you start fighting from the beginning? You just met her and you're having problems. It's just not worth it. Cut the ties and move on.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
How many more incidents do you give him?

One? Two? Three? Depends on what it is?

The kid has more PR issues this year than the entire team does combined for their careers. Obviously you can get players, and better players at that, without the baggage.

It's like dating a new girl. Why in the world would you want to stay with a new girl when you start fighting from the beginning? You just met her and you're having problems. It's just not worth it. Cut the ties and move on.

I understand your frustration but one thing here to remember is he violated an undisclosed team rule

We have no idea what that was, what we do know factually though is AJ violated a team rule, and there was hardly a peep

I know different situations, pasts etc

I am not ready to "give up" just because Lance doesnt affect my life, or my feelings on being a Pacer fan

The entire time I have been a Pacer fan the thing that frustrated me BY FAR more than anything ever was the consistent mental masturbation Sten played with us while we were waiting to see if he would reduce Artests suspension

That being said, the stuff Lance has actually done seems minor and correctable.

You asked when would it be enough?

again for me personally, baring some rediculous thing happening, I give him till the end of next year, when his contract runs out

Speed
04-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Wells was on JMV yesterday, mentioned an episode in training camp where Solo tried to give him some direction and he spouted off to him.

JMV basically said something along the lines, how long do you keep a guy around that all of his teammates can't stand, Wells said that JMV was right on target.

In general if a bunch of teammates hated a guy, I'd say well thats not good, but it's not huge. Then I think about this team, pretty much a good bunch of guys, whether you think they are talented or not is up for debate, but not a group thats hard to get along with, I'd guess.

Just mention it, cuz I hadn't heard the Solo thing. Sorry if that was already posted.

Speed
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I understand your frustration but one thing here to remember is he violated an undisclosed team rule

We have no idea what that was, what we do know factually though is AJ violated a team rule, and there was hardly a peep

I know different situations, pasts etc

I am not ready to "give up" just because Lance doesnt affect my life, or my feelings on being a Pacer fan

The entire time I have been a Pacer fan the thing that frustrated me BY FAR more than anything ever was the consistent mental masturbation Sten played with us while we were waiting to see if he would reduce Artests suspension

That being said, the stuff Lance has actually done seems minor and correctable.

You asked when would it be enough?

again for me personally, baring some rediculous thing happening, I give him till the end of next year, when his contract runs out

I want him to be good too, so that the Pacers are good.

It's just that he's not even been a Pacer for a year and theres a whole body of transgressions, including an arrest and a taped episode with two hookers. I mean.... I'm not sure if/when something else happens you couldn't completely blame the Pacers organization for not pulling the rip cord.

It's not even been a year.

Since86
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM

So basically unless he gets arrested, because you've made your feelings known on writers who air the team's "dirty laundry."

Since86
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Wells was on JMV yesterday, mentioned an episode in training camp where Solo tried to give him some direction and he spouted off to him.

JMV basically said something along the lines, how long do you keep a guy around that all of his teammates can't stand, Wells said that JMV was right on target.

In general if a bunch of teammates hated a guy, I'd say well thats not good, but it's not huge. Then I think about this team, pretty much a good bunch of guys, whether you think they are talented or not is up for debate, but not a group thats hard to get along with, I'd guess.

Just mention it, cuz I hadn't heard the Solo thing. Sorry if that was already posted.

Well atleast the team has something they can bond over......

vnzla81
04-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Yep I was listening to the show yesterday, he also said that is hard for him to interview Lance because he doesn't take anything serious, Mike sounds to me like a guy that really hates Lance reason why I don't take his "inside info" serious, I like MW but sometimes he makes things too personal.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM

I was wondering who, if anoybody, on the team actually likes him?

I think back to the picture Roy posted when they all went to Bubs burgers and the laughing going on

Hicks
04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Yep I was listening to the show yesterday, he also said that is hard for him to interview Lance because he doesn't take anything serious, Mike sounds to me like a guy that really hates Lance reason why I don't take his "inside info" serious, I like MW but sometimes he makes things too personal.

I can't think of a single thing of Mike's I've read that I thought to myself, "Man, he's getting personal here."

He'll take cheap shots, but I've read them as being humorous (if somewhat mean spirited at times).

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
So basically unless he gets arrested, because you've made your feelings known on writers who air the team's "dirty laundry."

I think you misread me a little bit. I am not angry at Wells, but I dont agree with the Pacers letting the public know about the internal issues they might face with their players

you can disagree with that statement, and thats fine, I just see it that way

Plus I enjoy your posts so please dont think just because I stick up for Lance I am delousional or unintelligent (not saying you do )

duke dynamite
04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I think you misread me a little bit. I am not angry at Wells, but I dont agree with the Pacers letting the public know about the internal issues they might face with their players

you can disagree with that statement, and thats fine, I just see it that way

Plus I enjoy your posts so please dont think just because I stick up for Lance I am delousional or unintelligent (not saying you do )
Like I said earlier, you can't hide it, because it'll eventually get out and the public will not put any merit to the things you say or do after that. It's better to be open, and show you're doing something about it than not.

imbtyler
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I voted 25%. I have a feeling that we'll be pleasantly surprised with Lance in a few months, or at least after the lockout. Maybe a new GM, probably a new coach, both who probably won't take **** from some kid with issues. Plus, new teammates, plenty of time to get acquainted and prepare for the next season.

I have to put faith in the abilities of our coaching staff and FO to turn this kid around forcefully if nothing else. If he stays out of trouble (like I said, 25%), I think by the time preseason activities begin, he'll be well adjusted.

xBulletproof
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
but I dont agree with the Pacers letting the public know about the internal issues they might face with their players

The Pacers had to make it public because Vogel had just said Lance was going to get some time in the last couple games. After it didn't happen you'd have been one of the ones on here skewering him for not playing him, and someone in the media would have asked why anyway.

Might as well release the information voluntarily instead of trying to hide it.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
The Pacers had to make it public because Vogel had just said Lance was going to get some time in the last couple games. After it didn't happen you'd have been one of the ones on here skewering him for not playing him, and someone in the media would have asked why anyway.

Might as well release the information voluntarily instead of trying to hide it.

I guess thats one way of looking at it. I just would rather it stay in house

Sookie
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Really depends where he goes this off season.

If he spends it in NYC, it's probably at about 100 percent.

If he stays in Indiana, I'll give him as low as 75 percent.

Lord Helmet
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Let's see, because if he does something stupid, the headlines are going to read, "Indiana Pacers player Lance Stephenson......"

He can still hurt us as long as he is on the team, doesn't matter if he's at the end of the bench or not.

PaceBalls
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Messing up is a very relative term. I think of "messing up" as drugs, guns, fights at the strip club, harboring murderers and criminals at the home, driving around while your passenger smokes big blunts, curb stomping your girlfriend etc..

I don't think the chances are very high that will happen with Lance, but I would say there is about a 100% chance he mouths off to someone who doesn't like it and is generally an A-hole.

I say we just trade him to Sacramento. That should be fun to watch. Him, Evans and Cousins. They could be awesome... or they might kill each other.

90'sNBARocked
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Really depends where he goes this off season.

If he spends it in NYC, it's probably at about 100 percent.

If he stays in Indiana, I'll give him as low as 75 percent.

What are his chances if he stays in Storrs, CT?

Sookie
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
What are his chances if he stays in Storrs, CT?

pffft..I think the kids are still burning crap...I'd say about a 110 percent. :laugh:

Speed
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I wonder if he has any value as a throw in, in a trade for a player? Meaning, Pacers get a veteran with some of the cap room this summer and Lance is part of the outgoing package. Or is he already just a negative reture contract guy?

Trophy
04-12-2011, 03:44 PM
He probably has the impression by now that Bird pretty much had it with him and now he's probably thinking he won't be a member of this team next season so he's going to go out and live a little and wind up doing something stupid.

Maybe he'll finally learn that no one is going to want him if he keeps this up.