PDA

View Full Version : As long as we're talking computers...

Anthem
10-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Somebody tell me about Windows Media Player 10.

I had an NTFS partition with some old media files I wanted to get at, and my primary box is a shuttle (tiny tiny tiny) running Linux. I wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with NTFS on Linux, plus I didn't have room in the shuttle for an extra hard drive, so I slapped an extra machine together to look at these files.

Here's my question... I notice that Windows Media Player 10 is out. I haven't used WMP in a while... can anyone tell me about the WMP codecs? Is there any advantage to using them over, say DivX, WMP9, or even MPEG-2?

I hate DRM, so if that's an "advantage" of WMP10, I don't want to hear about it.

TheSauceMaster
10-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Hmmm, well I installed it , not too much fancy about it other than it looks nicer and it supports higher ripping speeds , also supports alot of music services , overall I still prefer winamp for my media player.

I only use wmp when I must , I don't like using it cause I think it's behind in the times compared to alot of the others and also it's a MS product :laugh::laugh:

I can do most anything in winamp that I can do in WMP and so much more.

kerosene
10-04-2004, 04:09 AM
I'm still using WMP 9.xxxxxxx and only use it when I have to. I've found myself using Media Player Classic more and more which is fine for most things if you have the correct codecs installed (ffdshow is they way to go as far as codec packages btw).

TheSauceMaster
10-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Well if you don't wanna hassle with it all , I recommend the KLite Codec Pack ;)

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com

The best combination of player and codecs available! Forget the messy WMP, this pack contains everything you need to play practically any media file available.

indygeezer
10-04-2004, 07:51 AM

I had an NTFS partition with some old media files I wanted to get at, and my primary box is a shuttle (tiny tiny tiny) running Linux. I wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with NTFS on Linux, plus I didn't have room in the shuttle for an extra hard drive, so I slapped an extra machine together to look at these files.

Here's my question... I notice that Windows Media Player 10 is out. I haven't used WMP in a while... can anyone tell me about the WMP codecs? Is there any advantage to using them over, say DivX, WMP9, or even MPEG-2?

I hate DRM, so if that's an "advantage" of WMP10, I don't want to hear about it.

Tell me, when did you learn to speak Greek?

TheSauceMaster
10-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Also you do Realize WMP10 is for Xp Only :confused:

TheSauceMaster
10-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Tell me, when did you learn to speak Greek?

Hmm , not greek to me ..geezer you need to break out google , it knows all :)