PDA

View Full Version : Bird wants to return?

Pacerized
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't know if this is speculation based off of yesterdays star article or from a different source but I hope it's true. Larry has done an excellent job getting us to this point. We need him to finish what he's started.

With his future for next season still uncertain, New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh said speculation he could return to the Pacers is rubbish.
"I'm angry about that," Walsh said of a rumored second stint in Indiana. "There's absolutely no truth to it. I never talked to [Pacers owner] Herb Simon or anybody else about it. To me, it's something someone makes up."
Pacers president Larry Bird said that making the playoffs has made him definitely want to return to the Pacers next season. Had they missed out, Bird said he may not have come back.
Knicks owner James Dolan has until April 30 to exercise the final year on Walsh's contract. However, if that deadline passes, he can still bring Walsh back with a new deal.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/donnie_ticked_off_p4R0ICE87idgkEXiakUKsO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Pacerized
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Good stuff on DW here as well, I'll post the full article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/donnie_ticked_off_p4R0ICE87idgkEXiakUKsO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

INDIANAPOLIS -- Knicks president Donnie Walsh (http://www.pacersdigest.com/t/Donnie_Walsh)made his first road trip of the season beyond Newark yesterday, appearing at Conseco Field House, 25 minutes away from where he still has a home and his wife still lives.
With his future still uncertain for next season, Walsh, who had hip-replacement surgery in November, said speculation he could return to the Pacers in some role is rubbish. Pacers president Larry Bird (http://www.pacersdigest.com/t/Larry_Bird)said this weekend that the club making the playoffs has made him definitely want to return next season. Had it missed out, Bird may have not come back, he said.
<!-- context: middle --><!-- ad(quigo_intext_narrow,/sports,sports_story) <ad> <id>sports_story_lower</id>
sports_page</page_type> <quigo_pos>quigo_lower</quigo_pos>
1482096</placementid>
871776</pid> <width>440</width> <height>225</height> <slug>*</slug> </ad> -->"I'm angry about that," Walsh said of a rumored second stint in Indiana. "There's absolutely no truth to it. I never talked to [Pacers owner] Herb Simon or anybody else about it. To me, it's something someone makes up."

Walsh said he was happy to hear Bird was returning.
"I'm glad he's coming back," Walsh said. "He doesn't need it. If it's interfering with his lifestyle, I could see him saying: I'll go to Florida and fish all day."
Knicks owner James Dolan (http://www.pacersdigest.com/t/James_Dolan)has until April 30 to exercise the final year on Walsh's contract, but if that deadline passes, he can still bring Walsh back with a new deal. The Post reported it is up to Walsh if he wants to make a return. His relationship with Dolan has been portrayed as not very solid.
And there's been speculation for weeks the Garden could look to John Calipari and Mark Warkentien as the next leaders of the franchise. Both Calipari and Warkentien, who was at last night's game, are represented by CAA, which handles Carmelo Anthony's and Chris Paul's affairs.
"I don't know nothing about that," Walsh said. "Some of it is promotion by people who want to get in the press."
Walsh gave no strong hints yesterday on whether he wants back.
"I've been doing it so long, I don't want to say it's a big part of my life," Walsh said. "It's not the truth. It's just part of what you are. And I don't want to end it until I'm done and happy with it."
Part of the decision will be if he's comfortable with the direction of the club, which has made the playoffs for the first time in seven years and will open next weekend in either Boston or Miami.
Perhaps it depends on how the club fares in the playoffs and how close he thinks the Knicks are to winning a title. He's said he wants to leave when he feels the club is on a track for a title.
"Playoffs are the best way to find out where are we," Walsh said. "Where are we really? What you don't have will show up."
Pacers rookie Lance Stephenson, the former Lincoln star, was a DNP after getting demoted again by Pacers coach Frank Vogel yesterday for violating team rules.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/donnie_ticked_off_p4R0ICE87idgkEXiakUKsO#ixzz1JE3e gwll

Hicks
04-11-2011, 10:56 AM
This is saying he definitely wants to stay and might have left if we hadn't made the playoffs, but I thought yesterday I read that he might want to stay and definitely would have left if we hadn't made the playoffs?

Brad8888
04-11-2011, 11:01 AM
This is saying he definitely wants to stay and might have left if we hadn't made the playoffs, but I thought yesterday I read that he might want to stay and definitely would have left if we hadn't made the playoffs?

Apparently Donnie must have given Vescey an ear full after his speculative piece.

Imagine Vescey making something up. Shocking. My world just turned upside down...

Unclebuck
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM

yes

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110410/SPORTS04/104100366/1062/SPORTS04/Kravitz-s-too-early-decide-keeping-Vogel

Kravitz: It's too early to decide on keeping Vogel

Written by

Bob Kravitz (bob.kravitz@indystar.com)

Here's my thought about Indiana Pacers interim coach Frank Vogel, and it's one I shared with team president Larry Bird before Friday night's victory over the Atlanta Hawks at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Vogel hasn't won the job, but he hasn't lost it, either.
Bird nodded.

"That's fair,'' he said before the Pacers moved to 20-16 under Vogel after being 17-27 under Jim O'Brien. "Whatever happens, he's going to get the first interview, and he's going to get the last interview. I've been very pleased with how he's handled a very difficult situation.''
Somewhere in the columnist's handbook, it's written that I'm supposed to tell the readership whether Vogel should be retained or told, "Thanks for the good work, now pack your bags.''
I'm not ready to make that judgment.

And I'm not sure Bird is ready to make the call yet, either.

Shoot, Bird isn't sure if he's coming back next year. So there are some moving parts here on the Vogel front:

First, Bird's status.

By now, he has earned the right to make his own call here. There have been hiccups (Shawne Williams?), but big picture, he has done what he said he was going to do: rebuild in a slow, disciplined way and add young pieces along the way.

I know, just 38 of 432 playoff teams since 1984 have reached the postseason with a sub-.500 record, and if Charlotte and Milwaukee had the seasons most people expected, the Pacers would be in lottery land. They've won only six games against teams that have qualified for the playoffs during this soft stretch under Vogel, and if they were in the West, they would be tied for 11th place.

But they're in the playoffs.

Good for them. Mission accomplished.

"We don't get a trophy, and I never thought I'd be happy as hell to get an eighth seed in the playoffs,'' Bird said. "But I am, especially for these young players.''

Bird said Friday, if the Pacers had not made the playoffs, he likely would have walked away.

Now, having made the playoffs, that decision is a bit more difficult. The basketball man inside him would love to take advantage of the team's favorable financial position he has helped forge through several difficult years. But there are family and personal issues in play.

"My wife's been in this for 30 years now,'' Bird said. "She's never told me she wants me to quit what I'm doing, but twice this year after really tough losses, she's asked me, 'Larry, why are you doing this?' She's never asked me that before.''

Whatever Bird chooses to do, he needs to do it expeditiously. The Pacers are heading into one of the most important and uncertain summers in their history, and the possible lockout complicates everything. If Bird is out, his replacement needs to get to work quickly on free agency, trades and deciding on a coach.

It only makes sense that if Bird stays, Vogel's retention chances are far greater.
Second, how does Vogel fare in the playoffs?

Look, they're not going to beat the top-seeded Chicago Bulls in a seven-game series. Most Pacers fans would be thrilled if Indiana could be competitive every night and maybe win a home playoff game.

But let's see what Vogel does in the postseason, when coaching and making adjustments are paramount. He can help his cause, and if his players truly want him back, they can help Vogel's cause here, too. If they get swept and blown out, retaining Vogel will be a hard sell.
However the first round plays out, the playoff appearance is a very good thing for a young team.

"Our young guys have no clue what they're getting themselves into, and we're playing one of the hottest teams (the Bulls) out there,'' Bird said. "But what an experience. I never thought it was like that. In 1980, I couldn't believe the atmosphere, the intensity of the playoffs, every possession. I went home that summer and said, 'You've got to get better.' "

Whatever happens with Vogel, whether he's retained next year or pushed aside for a bigger, more experienced name, he will always have this playoff chase on his resume.
And that's no small thing.

"This isn't about me,'' Vogel said Friday. "This is about our young players getting a taste of the playoffs. I'm happy for them.''

Bottom line is, Vogel took a reeling team and delivered on a promise to reach the postseason. In a short time, he changed the team's mind-set and he changed its style. Without the benefit of an offseason and a training camp, he altered the way the team played offense, veering away from the bombs-away style of O'Brien and installing a more physical brand of basketball.

More, though, he made this fragile young team feel good about itself.

Now, could he earn/demand its respect over the long term? Does he have the tough-guy chops to get in people's faces -- like Lance Stephenson, who was demoted to the fourth spot at point guard on the team's depth chart Saturday and needs to be put on the next train out of town? How much of this recent success was the result of the soft schedule and the fact the players were just so thrilled to be out from under O'Brien's thumb?

Vogel may not get the full-time job -- again, it's too soon to make that call -- but he has earned the right to sit in those interviews and be taken very, very seriously.

CableKC
04-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I am okay with Bird leaving or staying......but I will admit that my preference is to wipe the slate clean and have someone else come in to run the FO so that we have a "fresh perspective" coming from the FO.

Having a new President of Basketball Operations come in ( such as Pritchard ) where he will have a huge amount of resources at his disposal, along with a young core of Players to mold, with a change in FO culture / overall vision while having the opportunity to handpick whatever Coach he would like to implement that new vision is very tempting and appealing to me.

joeyd
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Was sitting close enough to see Walsh when he first came in and sat down courtside. I understand he just had the surgery, but at first I thought it must have been Donnie's father. He looked very old and frail. He was sitting in the first row of section 20 next to his daughter, who I believe still resides in IN.

Justin Tyme
04-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Was sitting close enough to see Walsh when he first came in and sat down courtside. I understand he just had the surgery, but at first I thought it must have been Donnie's father. He looked very old and frail. He was sitting in the first row of section 20 next to his daughter, who I believe still resides in IN.

Yes, Walsh looked like he has really aged in the last year. I'm sure he came in to see Knicks play, AND to spend some time with his family. He's done a really wonderful job of cleaning up Isiah's mess. To me after Dolan stepped on him with the Melo trade and with the Dolan/Isiah situation, Walsh has all the reason in the world to tell Dolan to shove it, and retire to Indy to be with his family.

LA_Confidential
04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Larry makes good decisions for this franchise so I want him back.

xBulletproof
04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Awesome.

As much as people want to complain, we're better today than when Walsh left. We are better on the court, and better in the payroll department as well. That's impossible to argue.

He's not perfect, but he hasn't made any really stupid and franchise crippling decisions either. Sometimes avoiding the stupid decision is just as important as making a rip off in a trade.

LA_Confidential
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Awesome.

As much as people want to complain, we're better today than when Walsh left. We are better on the court, and better in the payroll department as well. That's impossible to argue.

He's not perfect, but he hasn't made any really stupid and franchise crippling decisions either. Sometimes avoiding the stupid decision is just as important as making a rip off in a trade.

Larry has done both.

LetsTalkPacers
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I would like Bird back as President for one more year just to kind of pass the torch. Much like Walsh did with Larry. I think Bird should Bring in Pritchard as Gm and then Pritchard can look forward to being promoted to President after a succesful next season

Trophy
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I see Bird returning.

No way does he leave once this team has reached where he would like them to go.

Now it'll be a little easier for him. We have our core and now he just needs to add on to it.

As far as Walsh, if he leaves the Knicks then he's retiring. I don't think he'll want to come back nor will the FO.

I would've loved to have added Kevin Pritchard to the FO with Bird, but I don't have an issue with how it is now.

Just hope they use a good chunck of this cap space to bring in a talented player.

Speed
04-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Isn't it same discussion of whether you want Bird back or not, just like when we talk about trading a Pacers player.... it depends on who you get.

CableKC
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I would like Bird back as President for one more year just to kind of pass the torch. Much like Walsh did with Larry. I think Bird should Bring in Pritchard as Gm and then Pritchard can look forward to being promoted to President after a succesful next season
I disagree...if there is a time for change or commitment from Bird....it's this offseason when we have to get a new Coach and have the resources to significantly improve this Team.

The last thing I want is for Bird to return, use up most of the resources and get Players that fit his vision of how he wants to build the Team for the future and then have someone else come in a year later where the new FO guy now has to figure out how to take what he's been handed and make something out of it to fit a likely different vision of the Team.

That's why I am in favor of one ( Bird stays ) or the other ( Bird leaves )....nothing inbetween.

Roaming Gnome
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Walsh, who had hip-replacement surgery in November, said speculation he could return to the Pacers in some role is rubbish.

"I'm angry about that," Walsh said of a rumored second stint in Indiana. "There's absolutely no truth to it. I never talked to [Pacers owner] Herb Simon or anybody else about it. To me, it's something someone makes up."

:pepper: :champagne :highfive: :jump: :rockon:
:rockon2: :carrot: :carrot: :mango: :mango: :pineapple
:pineapple :cucumber: :cucumber: :rock: :rock:
:apple: :apple: :dorange: :dorange: :yes: :yes:

Doddage
04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I hate whenever there are statements like "Bird definitely wants to return to the Pacers next season" without any quotes from Bird himself to prove it.

Pacerized
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I can't say how reliable the article is but it's from a respectable source so I thought it was worth posting.
I hope it's not just speculation by the writer based off yesterdays Star article. Bird has done far better in his first 3 years in charge then DW did in his. I'd like to see him stick around for the long haul, 10+ years.

Naptown_Seth
04-11-2011, 11:00 PM
edit - Joey beat me to it. I took some photos (I was in 11 row 1 looking right back at him) but I haven't had time to sort them out yet.

I assume they showed him on TV and if they didn't for those that care Donnie was sitting row 1 baseline. I was impressed, I'd figure he'd gone for a suite for comfort, and I mean that due to age and health issues (still going for smoke breaks? IDK).

graphic-er
04-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Well i'd think Bird would want to stay. I mean we have the first resemblance of success since the brawl with this team, and he wants out now? I don't think so. You don't go through 5-6 years of suffering only to voluntarily leave.

Trader Joe
04-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Bird's competitive streak is the only reason he came back as a GM. Tough to see that streak letting him leave right as he might have the chance to make some noise.