PDA

View Full Version : Slick Leonard vid. from post by O'Braindead

Peck
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I do not know where to put this so I suppose that I will put it here:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2011...611/index.html

This was from last night, but I wanted to point out that Slick has earned icon status from me.. A certain intrigue that I cannot even begin to try to explain or elaborate on. Only so many guys have that that I can remember. MLK, John Wooden, Bill Russell, JFK, Reagan, my father. It's so strange but Slick is in that group of "Icon" guys for me. I'd probably say that it is because he is the rock of our franchise. Even more neat is that I talk to him about every home game.

"Always ready for the Playoffs. That's the fun part of it."

NOTE***this post was from O'Braindead, not from me*** but it was important enough that it needed its own thread.

O'Braindead
04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Peck.

529 games, three championships (I got to witness one), Indiana HOF, best coach in ABA history by far, and a great, great person and commentator. He is very humble and he has a genuine interest for the team and these guys and our fans. I am probably in the minority but I put him on a pedestal higher than Reggie Miller himself, but that probably had to do with me actually being there for his dynasty.

He is the rock of our franchise. As Boyle said, it took him 13 games to come back from a life threatening heart attack. If people had that kind of determination and love for what they do than the quality of their lives would be so much greater. Tough as nails. I actually think that he deserves a statue in front of Conseco. He is the main reason for our three titles and he has commentated for 20 something years and he had tremendous dedication to our franchise.

BillS
04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I leaned into the entrance aisle by the broadcast booth while Slick was standing waiting for some of the pre-warmup stuff to finish and called "Welcome back, Coach!" He smiled and said thank you.

At half time, as he was standing just inside the rope blocking the entrance from the concourse, there was quite a line of guys and their kids getting his autograph on the giveaway Indianapolis Star Pacer caps.

He'll always be an integral part of the franchise to me and will always be The Coach.

El Pacero
04-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I actually think that he deserves a statue in front of Conseco. He is the main reason for our three titles and he has commentated for 20 something years and he had tremendous dedication to our franchise.

Best idea ever.

Scot Pollard
04-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Space is kind of limited for a statue outside the Fieldhouse but I'd love if the city could come up with some kind of way to recognize the top Indiana sports figure.

BringJackBack
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Count me in for support of the idea too!

idioteque
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Maybe name the court after him like the Boilers did Gene Keady?

JonnyB83
04-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Space is kind of limited for a statue outside the Fieldhouse but I'd love if the city could come up with some kind of way to recognize the top Indiana sports figure.

Space is limited outside The Fieldhouse but statues are tall not all that wide. I'm pretty sure there is a 3x3 or 4x4 square available.