PDA

View Full Version : Granger puts away jump shot..

BringJackBack
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
The scouting report on Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger has been pretty simple.

He has a tendency, scouts say, to become enamored with the jump shot, especially 3-pointers.

Granger is doing his best to shake that label now that the playoffs are a week away and the defensive intensity will go up to a different level.

On Friday, he mixed in drives to the basket, post-ups and an occasional jumper to score 28 points in the Pacers' 114-102 victory over the Atlanta Hawks at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I'm trying to be assertive because I do realize the playoffs are a different game," Granger said. "Teams know your plays and everything. Sets don't work as much. It comes down to who has the better players."

The victory ended a nine-game losing streak to the Hawks, who were without starting power forward Josh Smith.

The Pacers, who are 5-1 in their past six games, face the Chicago Bulls in the first round of the playoffs.

Point guard Darren Collison recorded his second straight double-double (16 points and 10 assists) as the Pacers led from start to finish. Center Roy Hibbert added 14 points and 11 rebounds.

"We have the mind-set of we're not just happy about being in the playoffs," Vogel said. "We want to go in with a bang."

Every team has a go-to player in the playoffs, which is usually the reason they're in the postseason.

Granger is that player for the Pacers, but his jump shot mentality has made it easy for teams to defend him at times, especially when he needs to take a lot of shots to get 20 points.

One of the first things Vogel did when he took over for Jim O'Brien was design plays to get Granger the ball in the post.

Granger has posted up players occasionally in the past, but he admits it has taken some time getting used to having plays run for him down low on a regular basis.

"I've always been a little bit uncomfortable down there," he said. "But as I've done it more and more, especially this year, I've gotten real comfortable. I'd rather have that over a jump shot sometimes."

The Pacers worked through Granger down low to get Hawks All-Star Joe Johnson in foul trouble in the third quarter.

Granger scored half of his points on 5-of-9 shooting in the quarter. Johnson, who finished with 17 points, picked up three fouls in the quarter.

Granger made 9-of-18 from the field and 8-of-11 from the free throw line.

"We need a go-to guy like that," Collison said. "Danny is that guy for us. It's easier to have a go-to guy on your team because whenever you're in a tight situation you can get out of the hole, and we'll be able to support him."

Granger is on pace to attempt the fewest number of 3-pointers (400) since his second year in the NBA.

"I'm just trying to get high-percentage shots and not always shooting jump shots," he said.

"I'm looking to attack the rim more, get to the line more. That increases your efficiency."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110409/SPORTS04/104090348/Granger-puts-away-jump-shot-Pacers-stop-Hawks?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

This is the game article, but the subject is based around Granger changing his game. IMO, his game last night was very, very crucial in our win. Granger was the man last night. 28, 7, 2, and plenty of energy. He actually looked like the man last night. The most satisfying thing was that he was doing it all in the flow of the offense.

Here's my question for you guys; Is this the Granger that we are going to get used to now that Vogel has challenged him to play more defense, shoot less jumpers, and play within the flow of the offense? Or is he going to eventually revert back to the lazy play, jump shooting, etc.

Keep up the good play Danny!!!

neosmndrew
04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110409/SPORTS04/104090348/Granger-puts-away-jump-shot-Pacers-stop-Hawks?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

This is the game article, but the subject is based around Granger changing his game. IMO, his game last night was very, very crucial in our win last night. Granger was the man last night. 28, 7, 2, and plenty of energy. He actually looked like the man last night. The most satisfying thing was that he was doing it all in the flow of the offense.

Here's my question for you guys; Is this the Granger that we are going to get used to now that Vogel has challenged him to play more defense, shoot less jumpers, and play within the flow of the offense? Or is he going to eventually revert back to the lazy play, jump shooting, etc.

The thing with having a mid season coaching change is that if we start to panic, we are gonna revert back to our "3 first, think later" style of offense and "cross your fingers it doesn't go in" defense. I think Granger changing his game is good, but he may well panic if we get down 10+ pts in a game (which seems likely) and start going back to his jump shot. I hope he drives more, but the only way he has ever carried this team at times he has is by having the hot hand.

yoadknux
04-09-2011, 12:45 PM
The thing about Granger is that he has a nice jump shot, but is not a good inside finisher. Most of the time he can drive the ball inside, but he can't really dunk it, He gets blocked easily, when he's not blocked he usually misses. He can draw fouls, but when he goes inside and not sent to the line he usually misses. I don't know if he can stay like that to be honest

But I did like his intensity last night, he played good D, really had good hustle, and it seems to be working well

imawhat
04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know, but I loved Granger's offensive game last night. That was one of his best games.

All he has to do is have good shot selection and effort on defense. That's all I care about.

Hicks
04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
He could aways revert back, I suppose, but I think this is what we'll see heading into the playoffs.

I think as long as he doesn't get hurt or the next coach doesn't bring a Jim-style offense, I think the worst is over with regards to him chucking.

Will Galen
04-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I think it's the same old Danny . . .the one from a couple years ago. The stat stuffer that in the flow of the game scored 20-35 points a game, 5-7 rebounds, 4-5 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks a game.

I think he's always been here it's just with the other team always keying on him it was hard for him to do that night in, night out with no help so he backed off a bit. Now with Danny having help he can go back to getting those stats in the flow of the offense like he used to.

Will he do it next season? I think he will start out that way.

mattie
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
The only thing that is bad, is the tendency by everyone, and especially people on this board to complain about Granger's three point shooting. Grangers three point shooting has never been a problem. We want him throwing over 5 threes a game just like we wanted Reggie throwing up over 5 a game. He's always made a high percentage every night at consistent rate.

The problem has always been when the balls not moving enough and Granger forces bad 20 foot jump shots with a hand in his face.

As I've said before it is good Danny continuing to get to the line, but as always the best way to utilize Danny is as the number 2 guy on offense, one who will spread the defense, and also allow him to post up smaller defenders in bad mismatches. Going forward, Granger could be an excellent second fiddle scorer, if we ever find that number 1 scorer.

ndcoltsnpacers
04-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I think he should keep hacking up 3s these last few games then surprise Chicago by doing what he did last night. Maybe we could sneak up and get a game or two on them then.

ksuttonjr76
04-09-2011, 01:57 PM
He could aways revert back, I suppose, but I think this is what we'll see heading into the playoffs.

I think as long as he doesn't get hurt or the next coach doesn't bring a Jim-style offense, I think the worst is over with regards to him chucking.

Vogel is starting to grow on me as a coach. He's taking the time to make sure that our players are playing to their strengths and potential. The more and more I hear about the things he has done to make players better (Hibbert being forced to score with dunks only during practice, speaking with confidence, giving and maintaining consistent minutes/rotations, etc), and I become less and less concern about having him as Indiana's coach next season.

Kid Minneapolis
04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Basketball 101: if ya like to shoot 3-pointers, what's a good way to get better looks? Drive to the hole with success and keep your man backed off. And when they creep down in the paint, pop back and bust a 3. And then when they creep back up to you, drive past them. And then it's just all kinds of Charlie Sheen-style winning action. Except most players never figure that out. /shrug. It's fun when you get that inside-outside game going, it's variety, it's more complete, and it just complete pwns and demoralizes your defender, and who doesn't like to do that. Because they just don't know what the hell you're gonna do.

Adonis blood, Danny... Adonis blood.

Trader Joe
04-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Welcome back Danny Granger. It's been too long.

KingGeorge
04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I think he should keep hacking up 3s these last few games then surprise Chicago by doing what he did last night. Maybe we could sneak up and get a game or two on them then.

I don't think there is anyway you can surprise the Bulls defense.

The best strategy to beat them is having good ball movement and hitting open shots.

ilive4sports
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
You could see this coming since Vogel took over. He has been much more of a driver and less of a chucker. It's good to hear that he will look to be even more aggressive. When he drives, it isn't the prettiest thing, but it is damn effective. He's never been a guy to drive and dunk. He never will be. He will drive and hit a tough lay up or get fouled. Since Vogel took over, Danny has been in the top 10 in the league in getting to the line. Or, which he has been doing rather well lately, is finding someone to kick it out too. He has made some really nice passes as of late.

I'm really excited to see more post game from him. I noticed more post plays being ran for him the past few games and its not always for him to score. He can create from down there.

Danny will always take jumpers though. And he should. He needs to keep that threat there. Honestly, every shot Danny takes, he has a good shot at hitting it because he is that good of a shooter. When he misses, it will drive you crazy, but then he comes down the floor the next time and hits the exact same shot.