PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert vs Noah

NewEra
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
How do u guys see this matchup going? This is a big test for hibbert. I see him struggling with how physical noah plays.

daschysta
04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
He can score on noah, noah isn't the bulky defender type that troubles hibbert most. He's lanky like roy is, and roy can still get his shot over the top.

BornReady
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
I expect Hibbert to struggle because Noah is so aggressive and physical.

Trophy
04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I feel like Noah is far more aggressive than Roy and has more strength to defend any opposing center which is gonna give Roy problems.

Noah is the type of center that Roy is either able to matchup well with or he's gonna back off.

On the offensive end, they both shoot away from the paint fairly well.

Speed
04-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I would think Noah would kill him, but honestly Roy has given him and them tons of trouble, I think. Kurt Thomas isn't mobile enough and if Roy can get calls, its a tough cover for Kurt. Noah is used to the new NBA perimeter/non low post skilled/undersized Centers and Roy is a throw back and can get the hook off on him fairly easily.

Even Asik had trouble not fouling him, Boozer did a good job of not letting him get position, but if Roy could get the ball, he can easily shoot over him.

I'm not saying Roy can do this ongoing, but seems to me when they've played Roy has really done well against their tough, tough front line.

A series is a different animal, be interesting to see what any of the guys will do when they've been extensively game planned against tho.

This is a huge growth opportunity for Roy, whether he does well or poorly, imho.

yoadknux
04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
On average, Noah beats Hibbert. When both are having their max performance, Hibbert is the better player.
It's just that, sometimes Roy plays amazing: posts and hooks over players, not letting them establish post position, hits the mid-jumper.
But sometimes he looks so frail. Like anyone in the post can just push him gently and score.
So I don't know. If we see "Maximum Hibbert", then I'd advise Noah to get out of the way. If we see the "Average Hibbert", it'll be a very tough matchup.

troyc11a
04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Roy has got to come up big in the series or it will be a short one.

speakout4
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Noah has moves that will leave Roy dizzy-sadly.

pacer4ever
04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Noah has struggled of late but if he plays like normal he should stop Roy

Scot Pollard
04-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Noah's hair is gross.

He needs to buzz it off.

righteouscool
04-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Noah Olajuwon?

KingGeorge
04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I believe that Hibbert vs. Noah will be the matchup of the series.

Like everyone else has been saying, if aggressive Hibbert shows up that attacks the basket and can hit the hook and outside jumper, the Bulls D will have their hands full.

If the sluggish Hibbert shows up, we might as well pack it up and go home.

Noah isn't going to kill us on the offensive end like Rose, Deng, and Boozer can, but if Roy can get his shot down, it is going to open up a lot more options for our offense.

Hicks
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Like what?

I think of Noah as a scrappy garbage man type of a guy (though in a bigger/longer body that most of his type are, which is what makes him special), not a low post scorer. I mean, he can do it, but I would never confuse him with, well, even Roy Hibbert for that matter, when it comes to a low post arsenal. Maybe I just haven't seen it?

Really?
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I am expecting Noah to get hurt sometime in the first game.

Just playing but I think the big knock that Noah is long and athletic, will probably grab alot more rebounds and it will be harder for Roy to get his turn around jumper off due to Noahs attributes.

I think Roy's assist numbers will go up though.

On the other hand, I don't really see roy frustrating noah as much on the defensive end. Noah isn't really a offensive weapon, more of a I get the easy points type player. Hopefully Roy won't allow him to get many offensive rebounds.

Taterhead
04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Roy vs. Noah is a very interesting match-up, and a big one for our young center. Noah causes just about everybody problems and I'm sure he will cause us some as well.

But if Roy can hold his own on the glass and be solid on offense we will be fine. This is Roy's chance to arrive on the NBA scene. A good showing against Noah with everyone watching could be huge for his confidence as a young player looking to make his mark.

We will learn a lot about our young players and probably the most about Big Roy.

speakout4
04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Like what?

I think of Noah as a scrappy garbage man type of a guy (though in a bigger/longer body that most of his type are, which is what makes him special), not a low post scorer. I mean, he can do it, but I would never confuse him with, well, even Roy Hibbert for that matter, when it comes to a low post arsenal. Maybe I just haven't seen it?
Not offensive scoring moves but he will run Roy ragged. He is more athletic and will keep Roy from being able to post up, push him around, and essentially make him wilt late in the game. Noah will be all over Roy and never let up. The guy to counter Noah isn't Roy but Jeff.

Hoop
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
The Deng vs Danny match up worries me much more than Roy vs Noah. Deng is a top notch defender and we need Danny's scoring in this series if we have any chance to win a couple of games.

Of course no one matches up favorably with Rose these days, DC just needs to go at him and make him work on the Defense end.

speakout4
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Boozer bothers me as much as any Bull.

Spirit
04-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Roy will eat him up.

Shade
04-09-2011, 08:34 AM
If Roy's ever going to turn into the aggressive post presence we need him to be, this will be as much of a test as any.

owl
04-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Any Pacers win will be a team win. That is the only way they win. They need contributions from multiple players and not just Roy.

04-09-2011, 09:21 AM
He averaged 6.25 points per game, 5.5 rebounds per game, and 3 personal fouls against the Bulls in 2011. Thus far, it seems, the Bulls have contained Roy. However, it should be noted, that Roy only played Chicago once since Frank Vogel became the coach of the Indiana Pacers.

Regardless, I believe the troubling matchup is Kurt Thomas. A wily veteran who has always gets away with murder on the floor. He may not have the size but he has the physical skills that Roy struggles against.

Over the summer, I hope Roy can add muscle and a midrange jump shot. He is certainly a better player since he lost weight. However, the fat he lost needs to be replaced with good muscle so that he can end his woeful struggle against players of more mass.

Really?
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Boozer bothers me as much as any Bull.

Was that a Joke?... if not why?

ksuttonjr76
04-10-2011, 02:09 PM
He averaged 6.25 points per game, 5.5 rebounds per game, and 3 personal fouls against the Bulls in 2011. Thus far, it seems, the Bulls have contained Roy. However, it should be noted, that Roy only played Chicago once since Frank Vogel became the coach of the Indiana Pacers.

Regardless, I believe the troubling matchup is Kurt Thomas. A wily veteran who has always gets away with murder on the floor. He may not have the size but he has the physical skills that Roy struggles against.

Over the summer, I hope Roy can add muscle and a midrange jump shot. He is certainly a better player since he lost weight. However, the fat he lost needs to be replaced with good muscle so that he can end his woeful struggle against players of more mass.

This where my mindset was at. If we get the confident Roy Hibbert, then Roy can easily handle Noah. Roy Hibbert is really the x-factor in this series. Between him and Hansbrough, we'll be able to establish a good inside/outside game.

speakout4
04-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Was that a Joke?... if not why?
He averages about 18-19 ppg and nearly 10 rebounds, big body weighs over 260 and moves pretty well. What is there to think is a joke? He repeatedly is rated top 50 current players.

pacer4ever
04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
He averages about 18-19 ppg and nearly 10 rebounds, big body weighs over 260 and moves pretty well. What is there to think is a joke? He repeatedly is rated top 50 current players.

and we dont have a good defensive big to put on him.

KingGeorge
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
and we dont have a good defensive big to put on him.

I think that Foster would give him trouble.

Kid Minneapolis
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Noah is pretty undersized in this match-up. He gives up 3 inches and 40+ lbs to Roy. Noah is the better, more active defender; Roy is an offensive cog for the Pacers... they really occupy completely different roles.

You know what you get with Noah; Hibbert is a matter of which version of Hibbert shows up. If A-game Hibbert shows up, he'll win the matchup. If timid, low-confidence Hibbert shows up, Noah will out-hustle him.

speakout4
04-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Noah is pretty undersized in this match-up. He gives up 3 inches and 40+ lbs to Roy. Noah is the better, more active defender; Roy is an offensive cog for the Pacers... they really occupy completely different roles.

You know what you get with Noah; Hibbert is a matter of which version of Hibbert shows up. If A-game Hibbert shows up, he'll win the matchup. If timid, low-confidence Hibbert shows up, Noah will out-hustle him.
Roy doesn't use his weight properly so the 40 lbs.isn't going to make much difference.

troyc11a
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Chicago's bigs are going to absolutely kill our bigs. Noah will destroy Hibbert like usual and Boozer is way to big for Hans. I like Hans, but he gives up way to much weight.
The only chance Tyler has is to use his quickness to get Boozer in foul trouble. That is possible if the Pacers will go to him early. Dont see that happening though.
I dont like the Granger-Deng matchup either. Deng is tougher than Danny and plays really good defense!

Total mismatch physically. I just hope the Pacers can hang in and win a couple games. If they win 1 or 2 I will be proud of them.

spreedom
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
I see this and the PG matchup as the two spots where we'll get killed. And that makes sense, because we have two really young, inexperienced guys going up against their two most dynamic players.

I would think Roy will manage a slight scoring advantage and probably get killed on the boards. And I think Noah will go toe-to-toe with Roy on scoring because of his high level of activity and ability to score off of easy putbacks.

And I have no doubt that Rose will continue his dominating ways against DC (who I still love by the way). I'd be interested to see if we could knock him off balance with a guy like Dahntay guarding him. If ever there was a time to advocate to a little "unintentional" tripping and grabbing, now is it. What could we lose, besides this series that we are pretty overmatched in?

Kid Minneapolis
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't mind trying some unconvential methods, like stick PG on Rose and say "don't worry about scoring at all, just disrupt this guy at all costs."

I know people say let Rose get his and stop everyone else, but Rose gets everyone else involved.

Our tactic in this series needs to be "all hands" and to do our best to deny Rose's paint penetrations, which is a tall task, I know, but we have perimeter defenders on this team. I want our guys' hands all over the place in this series, knocking balls away, batting passes down, blocking shots.