PDA

View Full Version : A fun question for a change....

Peck
04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
For how many of you is this your first playoff experiance? I mean to where you are old enough to appreciate it?

Will you be attending your first playoff game?

For you old timers what was your first playoff game that you remember and tell the new guys what to expect.

BillS
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
For how many of you is this your first playoff experiance? I mean to where you are old enough to appreciate it?

Will you be attending your first playoff game?

For you old timers what was your first playoff game that you remember and tell the new guys what to expect.

Ironically, this will be my first NBA Pacers playoff game IN INDIANA.

My first NBA playoff game was when they finally made the breakthrough into the second round against the Hawks in 94. That game is vitally important to me, not just because of what happened with the team but because my wife discovered Reggie Miller and became a huge Pacers fan along with me.

:love:

Unclebuck
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Playoffs are so much fun. The regular season is like practicing for the playoffs. It is like dress reharsal for a play and the playoffs are the actual performance. The reward as a fan for sifting through all 82 games is the playoffs.

I have been to every home playoff game the NBA Pacers have played. (Except in 1981 when they had one against the Sixers)

What to expect: It is different. The feel is different. Besides the intensity on the court which when you are there you can feel, but intensity in the crowd is not comparable.

You know when you go to a regular season pacers game and it seems like half the crowd even if they are seated in their seats are not really paying any attention to the game? In the playoffs the fans watch the game, they cheer when they should they are into it.

My first playoff game was against the Hawks in 1987 - I was shocked at the difference between the playoffs and the regular season.

I only hope whether it is sold out or only 13,000 are there, whether it is 50/50 between Bulls and pacers fans, that the feel is a real playoff feel. because the last playoffs in 2006 wasn't that good even for a first round series - it wasnt that good.

Edit: In the regular season I don't pay much attention to the refs and who they are. But in the playoffs I used to know all the refs and who was a good road ref a good home ref, called it tight or let them play. But as it has been 5 years and so many of the veteran refs are gone, I'm sure it won't be the same.

I know in game #3 against the Bulls in 1998, I was so glad to see Dick Bevetta ref that game. And then he called two quick fouls against Scottie to start the game as he guarded (mulled) Mark Jackson - that as much as anything changed that series after Scottie was allowed to guard Mark in anyway he wanted in games #1 and #2

Speed
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I have been to every home playoff game the NBA Pacers have played. (Except in 1981 when they had one against the Sixers)

Wow, now that is impressive!

Scot Pollard
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
i went the the 2006 playoffs and it made me miss going to see the pacers in the playoffs

im definitely looking forward to being back in a packed fieldhouse playoff atmosphere

not being concerned with who we're drafting

Peck
04-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Sadly I have missed two home playoff games over the years. Like U.B. I missed the 81 game (to young to have tickets) and I missed an E.C. finals game vs. Detroit because I was gone on a trip that was pre-planned (fortunately that was a night that Detroit beat us by double digits).

I'll share some playoff memory's later.

Trader Joe
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
My first playoff game was 2001 vs. the Nets I believe. We won by 20+ points.

I've been to every playoff game since.

BringJackBack
04-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't really remember the playoffs. I'm 15 so I was around 11 during 2006, but I don't remember being very interested. I also remember Reggie's last game. I didn't really understand why all of my older friends at the time were choked up and in tears over Reg. So no I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it.

I CANNOT WAIT. This is going to be awesome, and hopefully a start of something special for this team and the state. My buddies and I really want to go to one of the games so hopefully we'll be able to experience the insane atmosphere. I am planning on letting my friends borrow some of my jerseys and I'm going to wear my DC one.

The most satisfying feeling is that, for once in the past five years, the franchise hasn't let us/me down.

Peck
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't really remember the playoffs. I'm 15 so I was around 11 during 2006, but I don't remember being very interested. I also remember Reggie's last game. I didn't really understand why all of my older friends at the time were choked up and in tears over Reg. So no I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it.

I CANNOT WAIT. This is going to be awesome, and hopefully a start of something special for this team and the state. My buddies and I really want to go to one of the games so hopefully we'll be able to experience the insane atmosphere. I am planning on letting my friends borrow some of my jerseys and I'm going to wear my DC one.

The most satisfying feeling is that, for once in the past five years, the franchise hasn't let us/me down.

Are your parents getting you tickets to the game?

duke dynamite
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
My first year attending game regularly was the brawl year. I made it to two of the Boston games, took my grandmother to one of them. She wanted to see Reggie before he retired.

Kstat
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I vividly remember both championships in 1989 and 1990, but the Pistons made the playoffs each of the first 6 years I followed them, so it wasn't until they missed the playoffs 3 years in a row that I was really able to appreciate just getting in when we returned in 1996.

I believe that's applicable to this situation. It really didn't matter to me if we got swept by Orlando (which we did), I was just happy to see my team on national TV again, and I considered it a sign of progress.

Of course, Allan Houston left that summer, so my dreams for the future were pretty short-lived, but it was fun at the time.

PaceBalls
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I remember huddling around the radio with my mom, dad and sister listening to the Pacers vs Hawks in '87 I think. We got so excited listening to that game we bought tickets to the next one and all I remember was that we were way at the top of MSA and everyone was smoking cigarettes, which was really annoying.

I was hooked since then though.

Losing year after year in the first round to start the 90s sucked. But 1994 onwards was magic.

I remember watching game 5 of the 2004 ECF at the field house, there was a tornado warning and there were so many rude obnoxious Pistons fans there. It was a ill fated night. That the worst playoff game I ever saw I think.

I hope this is the beginning of a new golden era of Pacers basketball just like the 90s, as long as don't lose in the first round for 4 straight years. :p

BringJackBack
04-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Are your parents getting you tickets to the game?

I may have the money myself, but my parents say they want to chip in a bit to help me out.

Peck
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I may have the money myself, but my parents say they want to chip in a bit to help me out.

Coolness.:cool::cool:

It will be fun.

BringJackBack
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree.. I remember three years ago when I thought that we were going to make it. We didn't, and then the next year we didn't, and then the 09-10 season almost drained my fandom and this year things are so much different.. This is going to be amazing.

Kstat
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I remember watching game 5 of the 2004 ECF at the field house, there was a tornado warning and there were so many rude obnoxious Pistons fans there. It was a ill fated night. That the worst playoff game I ever saw I think.

On the flipside, that was my 4th favorite game from that whole season....

KingGeorge
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I remember the first time I ever watched the Pacers was in the 2000 finals when I was 8 years old.

My family only had local channels while I was growing up, so my Dad and I would watch the games on channel 4 every night.

Even though I remember games against Boston, New Jersey, and Detroit, now that I have gotten older and understand the game of basketball more, I appreciate this playoff berth the most.

I have never been to a Pacers playoff game before, but I expect to be there(most likely in the balcony) cheering the team on to victory!

InYaFace
04-07-2011, 05:21 PM
For me it's my first Playoff experience as a Pacers fan.
I started watching the Pacers during the 07/08 Season...man a lot of pain and bad games later, we are finally in those damn playoffs :)...

As I am from Germany, I never watched any NBA game live in person and it surely will take a lot of time till I get a chance to come to the US, but never the less I will try to watch those playoff games here at home with some friends, telling them what Pacers basketball is all about!

So greets go out to all real Indi natives, I hope the Pacers will fight till the end, especially at there homecourt- enjoy the fun, cause we went through so much pain the last years!

Cheer and Beer from Germany ;)

PacerDude
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I lost my playoff cherry in the 90's, against Orlando when Smits happened. I have never heard an area so loud - incredible. Sadly, MSA is just a great memory now, so those that never experienced it are truly missing something.

I simply can't imagine Conseco getting as riled up as MSA did.

rock747
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I remember huddling around the radio with my mom, dad and sister listening to the Pacers vs Hawks in '87 I think. We got so excited listening to that game we bought tickets to the next one and all I remember was that we were way at the top of MSA and everyone was smoking cigarettes, which was really annoying.

I was hooked since then though.

Hopefully not on cigarettes.

My first and last playoff game was 2000 playoff series against the Bucks.

PacersRule
04-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I usually go to 2-5 games per year but never during the playoffs. This year however, I'm thinking about buying some lower level tickets 'cause it's been so long since we've last been in and I just want to experience it close up (first time ever too!). Speaking of which, does anyone know when the NBA announces the playoff schedule? Because I don't want to buy tickets first and then find out I can't go because of exams and such..

xBulletproof
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
My first playoff game all I remember is Larry Bird faking a pass 20 times at the top of the key before he just says "screw it" and shoots a jumper, which he of course makes in a crucial moment. Maybe I'm misremembering the scenario, but that's the first playoff game I believe I recall. Anyone else remember that play?

cdash
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I have been to one playoff game--the Anthony Johnson 40 point affair. I can't wait to go to more. This is the first time I've really been in a situation to go to more than one game so I am very, very excited.

PaceBalls
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
On the flipside, that was my 4th favorite game from that whole season....

I can see how that was a sweet victory. We all knew the series was over at that point. At least that's how I felt after that game.

Hopefully not on cigarettes.

My first and last playoff game was 2000 playoff series against the Bucks.

I was only 12, so not yet at that point. I quit em for good 10 years ago though. (cigs that is)

Kstat
04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I can see how that was a sweet victory. We all knew the series was over at that point. At least that's how I felt after that game.

It was the exact opposite of game 4, I imagine.

NapTonius Monk
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
I have only been able to attend one playoff game, and sadly enough, I don't remember the outcome. It was against Detroit, and I remember watching Sheed Wallace in warmups not missing at all. I thought to myself, he is going to have a big night. Sure enough, we had trouble with him. But I don't remember if we won or lost. Really intense crowd, especially since it was Detroit.

The Jackson shimmy
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
My first Pacers' playoff game ? 1972, the year they won their second,
ABA Title.

My advice for playoff novices ? If you're standing at a urinal taking a
leak in a packed Men's room and the dude at the urinal next to you
hands you a lit doobie, take a BIG, LOOONNNGGG hit. Because once
you pass it along, it'll never make it back to you.

Oh, oops, that stuff doesn't go on at Conseco ? Never mind !

BringJackBack
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
What the..?

Naptown_Seth
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Besides the intensity on the court which when you are there you can feel, but intensity in the crowd is not comparable. True, but I did think the Miami game was pretty close. Very intense pre-game, obviously had the energy sucked out by the horrible start (which would be true in a playoff game that started that poorly as well) and then rekindled after the comeback got going.

Playoffs are "every possession is critical". Every missed shot without a rebound feels like a major loss.

But the wins...oh the wins. Rose and Reggie for 40, or the Chuck and Reggie show vs Boston game 4. Doesn't even have to be the clinching game or the Finals to feel incredible.

My first was Person's rookie year. Did every series till the ECF run when every single game conflicted with coaching duties, ditto the next year. So I finally get to go to another playoff game and it's freaking Reggie's return from the busted eye socket upset game 5 series loss to Atlanta.

Then the unmentionable year.

Then 98 and we freaking moved. MOVED. Had to watch game 7 vs Bulls in a Houston sports bar. Ditto 99.

Talk about timing. Saw every losing series except the ECFs, never able to go to the winning series despite years of loyalty when no one went.

And then, finally, I moved back a few months before the 2000 playoffs and only missed game 5 vs LA, which I watched outside Conseco on the big screen. Worth the wait.

Who else remembers Detlef and Ewing getting in the fight and both getting tossed from the game in the first quarter (IIRC)?

Naptown_Seth
04-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Race day, right? Stuck in horrible traffic trying to get out of there (Speedway) with tornados coming trying to get back in time for the game. Arghh, I'd forgotten about that.

imawhat
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Yes, it was race day. What a scary storm.

Wow, there are some really dedicated fans here. Almost every playoff game...that's amazing.

My first playoff game was game 3 vs. Atlanta in '94. I also went to game 4 of that series and game 6 against the Knicks. I agree with others..MSA was deafening and electric.

My last playoff game was game 4 in '02 vs. the Nets, which is the game TJ is referring to. After that I was a poor Grad student and then I moved to LA while we were losing to the Nets in '06. I watched the end of that series in a bar.

I'm very close to hopping on a plane and catching one of these games. Wish I could get a ticket now, but I'm a displaced Pacers fan.

Jared Sullinger
04-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I've only been to one playoff game, a first-round (game 2) blowout loss against Milwaukee in 2000.

On a side-note, here's the final minutes of the deciding game 5 of that series. We trailed by a point until Travis Best hit a three with 16.5 seconds remaining. It's amazing how close our Finals season came to being a hugely disappointing first-round loss versus an 8th seed.

YouTube - NBA on TNT - Milwaukee Bucks @ Indiana Pacers, 2000 Eastern QF, game five (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORnlZAv0LnE) (embedding's disabled)

The last five minutes of game five (win-or-go-home!) of the 2000 first round series between the Milwaukee Bucks and the Indiana Pacers. One of Reggie Miller's best games (boxscore - http://goo.gl/EXeu). All stoppages removed - but I did include a postgame interview with Miller.

joeyd
04-08-2011, 12:53 AM
My first playoff game that I attended was LA Lakers at Denver Nuggets in 1985. I was going to school in CO but was a fan of the Showtime Lakers back then, when I first got interested in basketball. But of course, the Nuggets were entertaining as well, with players like Alex English and Fat Lever.

My first Pacers playoff game was the first home game in the Lakers vs. Pacers NBA finals series in 2000 shortly after I moved to IN. This was the series where I became less of a Lakers fan, and more of a Pacers fan. The transformation was complete by the next season.

Peck
04-08-2011, 02:48 AM
I think I'll just do a top 5 moments from the playoffs for me as there are just so many I can't remember every one of them.

5. 5/4/2000 Game 5 first round of the playoffs vs. the Milwaukee Bucks. There were many memorable things about this game, not the least of which is that the Bucks nearly beat us. Reggie for the second time in the series came out wearing a superman t-shirt during warm-ups then proceeding to go out and score 41 points (take that Ray Allen). But of course that game too many people is known for the game winning shot by Travis Best. However to George Karl & myself that game will always be known as the game that Dale Davis saved the day with an offensive rebound. He then passed it to Jalen Rose who then hit Travis in the corner for three. After the game George Karl in his interview said "we had no answers for Dale Davis today".

4. Really in some ways this one could easily be #1 from a personal stand point. 6/11/2000 game three the NBA finals. We won, which is important but I can not even begin to tell you what it was like to actually be in the building for the NBA finals. If the playoffs are upped a notch from the regular season the Finals are even beyond that. The stars in attendance, the electricity of the crowd and for once we actually made the fieldhouse ring like old MSA. If I ever had a bucket list seeing an NBA finals game in person would have been on the top of the list. Seeing my beloved Pacers win a game in the finals would have also been at the top of my list. I got to see two wins that year. But I want to live long enough to see my team capture the NBA title at the fieldhouse or whatever facility we are playing in when we do.

3. 5/25/1998 game 6 vs Chicago. This is the shot you've seen 1,000 times if you’re a pacers fan. That year my tickets were in the section behind the Bulls bench just at the top of the lower bowl. So my line of site for that shot was something I'll never forget. We knew it was good the moment it left his hands and you could just see the shot glide in. It was wonderful to send all of the front running jock sniffing Jordan lover’s home that day with a loss. No offense to real Bulls fans but some of those Jordan bandwagoners were just beyond belief. Anyway as you can imagine MSA goes absolutely nuts and people were still in the main playing area for 20 min. after the game. Also Jordan banked and rolled out a shot that would have put Reggie's shot to shame, but the basketball Gods were with us that day.

2. 5/29/1995 game 4 vs. the Orlando Magic. This is known by many as one of the greatest playoff games of all time. There were several game winning shots (or what should have been game winning shots) at the end of this game but only one shot can win it all. With a second left on the clock Rik Smits pump fakes Tree Rollins into the air slips around him and hits the net as the buzzer is going off. This was the single loudest sudden explosion of sound that I can ever remember with the crowd. It went from dead quiet to sonic boom in less than a second.

1. 3/2/1994 game 3 vs. the Orlando Magic. This is where it all started for me, this was (pardon the pun) pure magic to be at. The game was not a nail biter like some of the above nor did is provide any of the heroics or great individual plays that other games did. But this was the first time in Pacers NBA history that we had won a playoff series. It had been a long 18 years since the ABA folded and while certainly our club has struggled over the past 3 years the 1980's and very early 90's were worse. The lights, the sound, the fans.... I can't really put any words into it that can convey how I felt being there for this. With about 3 min. left to go the game was pretty much under our control and I can not begin to tell you what 18,000 people screaming in unison SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP sounds like. People had brooms out, and if you are familiar at all with MSA you know that the back walls had sheet metal on them and people were banging them to give the place an extra boost of sound. The overhead speakers were also blaring the sound of Indy Race cars which kept the noise level even higher. There were people wearing African outfits carrying large drums on the separating floor between the upper and lower bowl and they had signs that read "our Pacers need us now more than ever" and they would bang the drums while we were yelling SWEEP.

I'm not kidding about this part; my head was ringing for three days after that.

Then this part is what cemented Reggie in Pacers fans hearts forever that day. When it was over after shaking hands with the Magic and celebrating with his team mates. Reggie went to every single corner of MSA and applauded and thanked the fans, believe me there were a lot of them there as very few people had left by then (and this was probably a good 10-15 min. after the final buzzer). A chant of REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE broke out and he didn't leave for several min. and eventually stood on the scorers table and threw his shoes into a throng of people that had gathered there.

I don't know if anything short of winning an NBA title will ever come close to that for me.

However I will be honest, being at the game the other night with the few fans left over to watch the Bobcats vs. the Magic was special as well. Area 55 helped make that special for me. Not game 3 vs. Magic special but man it has been so long that this was special all on its own.

I would love for you young guys to experience the joys of the playoffs and I hope everybody that wants to come can come.

Bball
04-08-2011, 03:03 AM
I hope we're not all expecting too much from this return to the playoffs. So many of our playoff memories tend to be when the team had really built something. So the fans were really into things and believing in the possibility of more.

It seems like people were all believing the team was making it's breakthru, or else in later playoff series fans knew the team was a legitimate title contender.

Trader Joe
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Race day, right? Stuck in horrible traffic trying to get out of there (Speedway) with tornados coming trying to get back in time for the game. Arghh, I'd forgotten about that.

Yep, that was a surreal day. Then we got our asses lit on fire. I will now proceed to drown myself in a urinal.

BPump33
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Peck,

I wish I could thank that post 1,000 times. I really wish I could have been at any of those games, but I remember watching every single one of them during our neighborhood "Pacers parties." We all used to get together and eat wings/pizza, wear our jerseys and play H-O-R-S-E at halftime of the games. We did that all through the 90's and through the Finals.

I've been to three playoff games. The three games against the Nets the last time we made it. Other than Anthony Johnson scoring 40 I really don't even remember much, well and that I hated Vince Carter. I didn't think that series had very much excitement to it. I've been to regular season games that have had a way better atmosphere than it did.

Here's hoping to getting that true "playoff atmosphere" back in Conseco this year.

Hicks
04-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Technically my first playoff game was one of the home games against the Sixers in 1999 at MSA. I was hanging out with my cousins, when for whatever reason their dad/my uncle approached asking if I wanted to go with them to the game that night.

I don't remember much, but I remember something involving ticket scalping in Indy (maybe selling extra tickets he had), the Pacers maintaining control for a relatively undramatic win, and our friend Toby, over from Germany, repeating how this was the biggest room he had ever been in (MSA). Weird, cloudy memory.

The one I really remember better, and think of as my unofficial 'first' playoff game, was in 2001, also against Philly.

That was the year Reggie hit the game winner in Philadelphia in Game 1, we were the 8th seed.

I went with a friend of mine (a huge Reggie fan; who used to literally study Reggie's game/body movements and try to duplicate them when he played), and I remember how loud it was. That was Game 4, where Philly finished us off. It was really loud, we were really into it, and I remember a play where my friend excitedly exclaimed 'He's got it!' as he read when/where Reggie was catching the ball and how he went into his shot. Larry (my friend) knew that shot was good, and sure enough it went in, which elicited another roar from that crowd.

A different friend and I went to both Game 3 and Game 4 versus New Jersey the next year. Game 3 was a bummer in terms of the on-floor results, but it was still so cool to be there for a playoff game, I remember we ended up going right over to the box office afterwards to buy tickets for Game 4 on the spot. I recall that game being a fun win. That was also when we sat along that row that looks right down into the tunnel where the Pacers enter/exit.

As the game was over, Jon and I were both screaming at him, "Jermaine!" to see if we could get him to look up at us, and at the last second, just before walking out of sight, he stopped, made eye contact, smiled and waived, to which we both just cheered/screamed at him, then he walked on. Heh.

I didn't make it in 2003, but I was able to go to one of the Miami games in 2004. I forget which one, but it was a win. I think it was Game 5.

Then I went to one or two of the Celtics games in 2005. I know I was at the one where there was a scuffle involving Walker and O'Neal towards the end of the game. I was so mad at that, still sensitive from the Brawl. I remember angrily yelling when I saw the players all crowding up during that moment, "Haven't you learned anything?!" I was worried another fight would break out.

Then I recall going to one or both of the 2006 Nets games. I think I sat with Gnome, Peck, and Dave for at least one of those. My memories of that series are Kristic and Cliff Robinson being allowed to sexually assault JO seemingly at will without a whistle, Peja sitting out because of his back or something, which we thought was lame, and just something of a blah feeling, personally, while I watched. Something about that series, that team, that point in Pacers history, it just felt flat.

Since86
04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Man, some of you're guy's memories are amazing.

- I've only been to one playoff game and that was the 2006 series against Det. 6 of us went, sat in the upper deck a section over from a bunch of Pistons fans. That got pretty nasty, and a couple of them were shown the door. I just remember that big 6'8"-6'9" behemoth of a man from security standing in the aisle yelling at everyone to knock off the bullcrap. Talk about intimidating.

- I remember the Rik Smits shot vs. the Magic. I was 8years old sitting in the kitchen alone watching the game and listening to the radio broadcast.

- Same story pretty much with the LJ 4-point play.

- I don't remember the exact year, either 02 or 03, but it was the playoff game against the NJ Nets that went into OT. We were running our county track meet and our distance coach had out his radio in the infield listening to it. I remember sitting there trying to somewhat focused on my events listening to it. Reggie's two handed dunk down the middle of the lane was just about to happen as I finished up my 400m race, and I barely caught it. I think I could have ran the race over again after that dunk.

Daniel33
04-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Im 19 years old and I'm regulary following the NBA since 2007/08 but I've seen some Pacers playoffs games from 2004-2006 when they were rebroadcasted on TV (usually just 2-3 Games a week length of a game was cut to 1 hour). But since there was no NBA on TV from 2007 on forward I followed NBA.com actively.
So.. Go Pacers beat the Bulls. :) that would be awesome.

Unclebuck
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Peck, I love your list of 5 memorable games.

The 2000 game #5 against the Bucks ws the most nervous I was throught the game. I knew this was the teams last run, it was the first round and the Bucks were outplaying us. I was not excited when we won, more relieved than anything

vapacersfan
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Ironically, this will be my first NBA Pacers playoff game IN INDIANA.

My first NBA playoff game was when they finally made the breakthrough into the second round against the Hawks in 94. That game is vitally important to me, not just because of what happened with the team but because my wife discovered Reggie Miller and became a huge Pacers fan along with me.

:love:

I have to admit I first read "discovered" as "divorced" and had to go back and read your post 3 times before I saw my eyes were playing trucks on me.

I do not remember my first playoff game, but I remember my first Pacers game. My aunt had taken me to a minor league baseball game in Indiana, and the Pacers were on the tv that was muted in our suite. I only remember the end and seeing Reggie jump around with Rik Smits, and I have no clue if they won or lost, but I had never really seen a basketball game before that.

A few days later I caught a game on local TV, and when I went back overseas I started following the Pacers (though then it was harder, all that I really had access to was Indystar.com and Pacers.com

imawhat
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
1. 3/2/1994 game 3 vs. the Orlando Magic....

I bet everyone in the building that night is still a Pacers fan. I don't know how anyone could've gone to that or the Atlanta series without leaving as a lifelong Pacers fan.

There's just something about doing it for the first time when nobody's expecting it. I wish everyone here could've been there.

pizza guy
04-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I have sadly never been to a playoff game. Would love to go this year, but it's not going to be possible. Maybe next year, eh?

Anyways, I'm 23, so until the last 5 years, I didn't really know Pacers basketball without the playoffs. I grew up with Reggie, and his epic battles against the Knicks and Bulls. I've followed the Pacers since I can remember, and the playoffs are always the best.

This year is special though. Like I said, I was spoiled by the Pacers being in the playoffs every year. So, the last 5 years have been torture. This year, though, after feeling that emptiness and finally getting back where we belong, I think I really appreciate it more.

We may not be title contenders this year, but every journey starts with a single step. I really, honestly excited about these playoffs. I've always been excited about the playoffs, even when the Pacers aren't in them, because it's just so much more intense than regular season. But, this one is really special. This team is growing and improving, and they have earned their spot at the big boys' table. To see these guys, under these circumstances, and after these 5 years, finally get to the playoffs, it's really special.

Let's enjoy this, even if we get blown out by epic proportions.

Hoop
04-09-2011, 12:22 AM
My first playoff game was Chuck Person's rookie year when we played Atlanta.

Chuck had just had an outstanding rookie season and Pacers for the first time since I have been following them were kinda relevant in the NBA. We had been a laughing stock for sometime, it was between us and the Clippers who was the worst NBA franchise, yes very embarrassing.

Atlanta was big time then, with Dominique Wilkins at his "human highlight film" peak. Chuck scored like 40 on him in Atlanta and also had a 18 or 20 rebound game. I don't remember the details, but Chuck probably never played better than he did then, he averaged almost 30 for that series. It was a 5 game series, the Pacers only winning 1 game (game 3). The Pacers first NBA playoff victory EVER!

It was unbelievably exciting and I had never been in any building in my entire life louder than MSA was (later surpassed by several playoff series) but that was my first taste. I'll never forget it.

smj887
04-09-2011, 01:35 AM
The absolute earliest memory I have of a Pacers playoff game is Reggie's infamous 8 points in 9 seconds. I was 7 at the time, so while I knew all the players and knew I liked the Pacers, I didn't have the long-term memory for it. I definitely watched playoff and regular season games before that, but that's where the sports memories that I can recall begin. I don't even remember the game leading up to that, other than being absolutely sure it was over.

The thing is, it was so remarkable because I was so young that I really believed that comeback to be impossible. That gets thrown around a lot in sports, and I still see unbelievable things happen, but I'm cognizant that there's an iota of a chance that it'll happen. So half court game winners, huge comebacks, devastating upsets, miraculous individual performances - very remote, but obviously I understand they're possible. But being that young, I remember really believing a comeback down by that much with that little time to go was literally impossible. Seeing that then, for my 7 year old self, caused me to react how my current self probably would if I happened to see an alien violate the laws of physics while he was time traveling. It just got permanently etched into my mind because it made me reach an "Amazed" level never to be reached again.

Good first memory to have, no?

neosmndrew
04-09-2011, 01:40 AM
i can remember no earlier than the '98 CF against the bulls, so this series means a lot to me just because of how roundabout it is.

TheDon
04-09-2011, 04:00 AM
I want to go to the playoffs this year actually being there in the building would be a first for me. It would have to be on a saturday or sunday though and as soon as they release the dates if one of our home games is on a saturday or sunday I will go.

I remember watching them playing in the mid 90's. I can distinctly remember us playing against the Magic with Shaq I think is about as far back as I can remember.

This thread has definately helped push me towards wanting to actually be at conseco though instead of just watching it at home.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I really would like for them to bring back the indy car sounds for when we're bring the ball up the court that was classic.

I've heard people think it's tacky but I always remember the "In 49 states it's just basketball....but this is Indiana." I'd like for them to bring that back.

Heisenberg
04-09-2011, 04:17 AM
This is far from my first Pacers playoffs as a fan, but it will be my first in person. I'm 27 and have been a fan for really as long as I remember. I hope, VERY much so, that this is a big step for our franchise. I wear a Pacers hat on an almost daily basis and I've caught jeers from fellow Hoosiers about how much we suck blah blah. Then we sit down over a beer and I try and discuss the current roster, no one seems to know anyone outside of Granger (if they're younger) or Foster (if they're older). In my many discussions with "casual fans" I've NEVER encountered one that can name our starting five.

I understand we've been basically pretty terrible for going on half a decade and that the Colts have been great, but I've honestly never understood this seeming desertion of the Pacers. Yes, we've stunk, yes, the Colts have been really good. So? I mean, this IS Indiana right? IU's been God awful (that's not a knock even if I am a Purdue fan, just offering an example), no one gave up on them. I didn't live through the REALLY down years of the late 80s and whatnot so I can't speak on that, but it frankly pisses me off that so many people are almost anti-Pacers.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Bird/Morway, Granger, Vogel, whomever. I'm just grateful for being back in the playoffs and making us a topic of conversation in Indiana again. Here's to this being the baby step outta the cellar that puts us back on Indiana's center stage where we belong.

Peck
04-09-2011, 05:25 AM
This is far from my first Pacers playoffs as a fan, but it will be my first in person. I'm 27 and have been a fan for really as long as I remember. I hope, VERY much so, that this is a big step for our franchise. I wear a Pacers hat on an almost daily basis and I've caught jeers from fellow Hoosiers about how much we suck blah blah. Then we sit down over a beer and I try and discuss the current roster, no one seems to know anyone outside of Granger (if they're younger) or Foster (if they're older). In my many discussions with "casual fans" I've NEVER encountered one that can name our starting five.

I understand we've been basically pretty terrible for going on half a decade and that the Colts have been great, but I've honestly never understood this seeming desertion of the Pacers. Yes, we've stunk, yes, the Colts have been really good. So? I mean, this IS Indiana right? IU's been God awful (that's not a knock even if I am a Purdue fan, just offering an example), no one gave up on them. I didn't live through the REALLY down years of the late 80s and whatnot so I can't speak on that, but it frankly pisses me off that so many people are almost anti-Pacers.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Bird/Morway, Granger, Vogel, whomever. I'm just grateful for being back in the playoffs and making us a topic of conversation in Indiana again. Here's to this being the baby step outta the cellar that puts us back on Indiana's center stage where we belong.

It's not really the losing that turned the fans off around here, it was the Artest shinanigans followed by the brawl followed by off court issues followed by Walsh refusing to deal with off court issues publicly followed by Artest demanding a trade causing the remaining few who were loyal to him to bail and then a trade that dropped talent followed by basically career ending injury to O'Neal (not really but he has never been the same since) followed by some losing.

Let's be honest here the worst we have done over the past few years is 32 wins. While that is not good it obviously is only the 10th worst record in the NBA.

Yes the fans would have certainly dropped the team to an extent with the losing but not nearly like they did because of all of the turmoil & then as you said this all coincided with the Colts becoming a powerhouse in the NFL and them having the Michael Jordan of Quarterbacks.

Heisenberg
04-09-2011, 05:39 AM
It's not really the losing that turned the fans off around here, it was the Artest shinanigans followed by the brawl followed by off court issues followed by Walsh refusing to deal with off court issues publicly followed by Artest demanding a trade causing the remaining few who were loyal to him to bail and then a trade that dropped talent followed by basically career ending injury to O'Neal (not really but he has never been the same since) followed by some losing.

Let's be honest here the worst we have done over the past few years is 32 wins. While that is not good it obviously is only the 10th worst record in the NBA.

Yes the fans would have certainly dropped the team to an extent with the losing but not nearly like they did because of all of the turmoil & then as you said this all coincided with the Colts becoming a powerhouse in the NFL and them having the Michael Jordan of Quarterbacks.Honestly, that's not my experience. If this turns into some hindsight rehashing type deal feel free to nip it in the bud, but it's honestly not, at least in my neck of the woods. I dunno, I guess I've always been more of a "diehard" (whatever that means) Pacers fan than anyone in my little circle, but even outside of them, people I've talked about it with have the "Bird came in and wanted white guys" meme in full effect. Believe me, I know that's as ignorant as anyone, but I'm just relaying the sentiment I've heard from quite a few people in my neck of the woods. I mean I live in Crawfordsville, inside of an hour from the Fieldhouse, and people just don't care at all.

I don't know, I don't really know what or who I'm griping about, just frustrating. I'm very much of the opinion that if it weren't for PD and Indy Cornrows I may've become as ambivalent though.

Peck
04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Honestly, that's not my experience. If this turns into some hindsight rehashing type deal feel free to nip it in the bud, but it's honestly not, at least in my neck of the woods. I dunno, I guess I've always been more of a "diehard" (whatever that means) Pacers fan than anyone in my little circle, but even outside of them, people I've talked about it with have the "Bird came in and wanted white guys" meme in full effect. Believe me, I know that's as ignorant as anyone, but I'm just relaying the sentiment I've heard from quite a few people in my neck of the woods. I mean I live in Crawfordsville, inside of an hour from the Fieldhouse, and people just don't care at all.

I don't know, I don't really know what or who I'm griping about, just frustrating. I'm very much of the opinion that if it weren't for PD and Indy Cornrows I may've become as ambivalent though.

Don't feel bad, it's always been that way out here.

When I went to Nicholson Larry Bird was all the rage & if not him then it was all I.U.

When I went to Tuttle people looked at me like I was from Mars whenever I would wear a Pacers T-shirt to school.

By the time I was an Athenian people would outright make fun of me for liking a team that was so woefull.

Heck even in the mid 90's when we were good I think it was me and one guy up on S.R. 47 just south of Garfield that were Pacers fans.

This place just has never liked the NBA in general. It's always been a college town.

BringJackBack
04-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Hmm.. Down here in Greenwood about everyone in my high school likes the Pacers now that they are competitive. There's still the 20% or so that say, "Oh they suck and all belong in jail," but there's a solid number of people that care about the team's success nowadays. They all especially like Tyler and Roy.

PacersRule
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Just bought tickets to game four!!! First playoff game ever!!!!

Peck
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Just bought tickets to game four!!! First playoff game ever!!!!

Have fun.:dance::dance:

idioteque
04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
The only playoff game I have ever been to was Game 5 of the 1998-1999 Eastern Conference Finals, which the Pacers won over the Knicks (even though they lost the series).

I was in 7th grade at the time and had a big science test the next day. I ended up somehow acing the test even though I was always terrible at science. I also was in the front row for the game. I remember very very little about the game unfortunately.

Phree Refill
04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Been following the Pacers since I was 11. I don't know why I started following them because no one in my family or any of my friends even watched NBA basketball. I just loved playing ball when I was a kid and when I discovered Indiana had a pro team I became attached. This was right around the time that epic series against the Bulls in '98 took place and I was hooked. I thought Reggie was god. Since none of my family cared about the Pacers I never got to go to any games. We lived outside of the TV viewing area of Indy so the only way I got to see games was if they were on NBC. All other games I'd listen to Mark and Slick. During the playoffs I would go to my sister's house and watch the games on TNT/TBS because she had satellite.

'99 playoffs looked like we were unstoppable after the first 7 games then New York came in a took game 1 in the ECF at MSA. Then the biggest 4 point play in NBA history...

2000 I was rooting so badly for Sabonis and Pippen to beat the Lakers because I knew Smits and Big Smooth had little chance at slowing down Shaq. Up until game 4 I thought maybe we had a chance but Kobe's half afro was too much to overcome in OT of that game. Once we lost a home game in that series I felt like it was over.

'01 Had that amazing game one comeback against Philly capped with Reggie's game winning 3. I remember screaming so loud in my living room and my sisters were upstairs they ran down to see what all the commotion was about. We lost the next three games and that last one I felt like we could have gotten a better shot to tie it at the end than Jalen's 32 foot 3 pointer.

'02 Nets is probably my most memorable playoff series. We didn't win but it had some REALLY good games. And we all got to see the infamous JO brain worms. For the first 24 minutes of that series JO was unstoppable. Byron Scott had his team make masterful adjustments at the half of game one and for the rest of the series Jermaine was a virtual non factor. One could argue Croshere had a bigger impact on that series for the Pacers than Jermain. Then of course Reggie had his heroics in game 5.

'03 I'd rather forget. This is when I really started to dislike Paul Pierce.

'04 we got round one revenge on Boston and saw DWade in his first playoffs but I'll always remember it as the ECF series we should have won. We had multiple chances to take care of the Pistons but failed to convert. Credit to them for capitalizing on our mistakes.

'05 I knew we didn't have a chance at a title but I'm so happy round one against Boston went 7 games just so we got a few extra games with Reggie. We actually had a 2-1 series lead on Detroit in round 2 but our inferior talent soon caught up with us. I'm very happy Reggie's last game came at home. When Larry Brown called that unnecessary time out at the end of game 6 so the home crowd could continue the standing O for Reggie I started crying. I was 18 and Reggie had been my hero ever since I was 11. Seeing him go felt like it was the end of the Pacers.

'06 we made it back to the playoffs but I never really felt like we were in that series. Nenad Krstic couldn't miss from anywhere on the floor and Peja had some BS injury. Its the playoffs dude. What's more is we won both games Peja played in.

5 years later and WE'RE BACK! I have never been to a playoff game but I will be this year. Got my tickets for game 4. Once I graduated college and got a job and started making money I have been able to go to a couple dozen games over the past 4 years. It sucked that when I finally could afford playoff tickets we didn't make the playoffs. But I nabbed me a couple lower levels for my girl and I and I'm pumped! I went to the Miami game back in February and that crowd was the most intense I'd personally seen. I can't wait for the intensity to be cranked up even farther.

PacersRule
04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Have fun.:dance::dance:

Definitely will!!!!!:D